PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on a PPE :(

luvs2ridewbs
May. 21, 2010, 07:27 PM
So I had a young horse vetted today and it didn't go well. Horse was very sore in front feet and flexed 4 out of 5 on front fetlock. Vet said that may or may not be related to foot soreness. Suspensories palped sore too. We xrayed fronts. Slight navicular changes but vet wasn't too concerned about that. One bone spur on leg that flexed 4 positive. Horse originally jogged sound.
I realize its all about the amount of risk you want to take on a horse but 3 yr olds don't generally vet like this. I guess I'm just feeling bad since I can't seem to find myself a horse that I 1) like 2) in my price range 3) vets without being lame. :( :(

EquineRacers
May. 21, 2010, 07:31 PM
Well, what do you want to do with the horse??? Spur's can be fixable with shockwave theraphy treatment. I've seen a horse with a huge spur in his knee have the clinic shockwave theraphy and continue on to race without any further issues, however sometimes they can come back.

The navicular worries me, if he has it now at such an age, it will only increase with age. I'd say pass and keep looking! Where are you and what is your budget?

scribbles
May. 21, 2010, 07:35 PM
on a 3 yr old i would probably pass with all that soreness. what has the horse been doing?

luvs2ridewbs
May. 21, 2010, 07:36 PM
ER, I pmed you. Horse is a hunter prospect to move up the ranks as far as it can go. I too am concerned about the navicular changes.

luvs2ridewbs
May. 21, 2010, 07:37 PM
Horse is W/T/C, began jumping and changes.

Stoney447
May. 21, 2010, 08:00 PM
What breed is this horse?

I guess Im just suprised that the horse is already so far along at 3 years old. I have a four year old I havnt even backed yet due to his growth patterns. Is it possible that this horse was pushed too hard at this young age?

JA
May. 21, 2010, 08:02 PM
i would pass. flexing a 4 out of 5 and suspensories being sore is not good period. I don't put much stock in radiographic changes if the horse is out there doing the job i want it to do and flexes sound. But there is no way I would buy a 3 year old that doing nothing and isn't sound. this horse sounds like its going to have some big vet bills in the future. You will find another horse in your price range that is sound, passes a PPE and you like. It just may take some time and patience

luvs2ridewbs
May. 21, 2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the responses. You are pretty much mirroring what I think also. Just too much going on. Just to clarify, the horse is late in his 3 yr old year so I do not think that is to blame. I know tons of wbs who do the baby greens at 4 and are sound going on.

BeeHoney
May. 21, 2010, 09:59 PM
I would pass on any horse that is sore while in regular work at the age of three. I don't really care what the cause is. Well, unless it was something obvious, temporary and treatable, like an abscess.

theinstigator
May. 21, 2010, 10:02 PM
Pass.

:(

wanderlust
May. 21, 2010, 11:52 PM
I'd definitely pass due to the flexion/spur. However, if the horse is a warmblood, and has decent sized feet, I'd probably not be concerned about naviculars showing mild "changes". Warmbloods tend to have naviculars that look like they have changes even when young. The only way to truly tell is to look at a series of x-rays over time.

crazyhorses
May. 22, 2010, 12:07 AM
Duh, just read it never mind.

I would pass. Since he's three sadly

judybigredpony
May. 22, 2010, 08:01 AM
You never gave us his price range...there are so many sound horses this is a no brainer walk even if they gave you the horses he would never re-sell.

BelladonnaLily
May. 22, 2010, 08:24 AM
Personally, I probably wouldn't buy a 3yo that was jumping (real courses, not the occassional crossrail) and working on changes even if it vetted sounded.

That said, this one sounds like a potential money pit.

luvs2ridewbs
May. 22, 2010, 10:31 AM
Yes I agree. I am looking for a hunter prospect. My budget is 15k and under but I would look at ones slightly above my price also.

Madeline
May. 22, 2010, 03:12 PM
Just for clarification: The horse is "late in his 3 yo year". Which means that in conventional horse-speak he's 4, right?

And he is not an OTTB who has been stressed and might heal from that?

For a 4 yo warmblood that hasn't done any real work, that's a lot of red flags. Run.

juniormom
May. 22, 2010, 10:03 PM
Where is the 3 year old located?

forestergirl99
May. 22, 2010, 10:11 PM
I would definitely pass. His problems will just get worse with age. It also sounds like he was pushed too hard. A horse should really only be doing w/t/c at 3.

Don't give up hope yet. I found my super talented, sound, sweetheart of a gelding for 2500. We found him through our vet. Maybe try that? Cause chances are the vet would know of any lameness, etc that the horse had been having problems with.