PDA

View Full Version : Why would taking the noseband off make such a difference?

Come Shine
May. 21, 2010, 12:54 PM
I cannot for the life of me figure out why taking the noseband off my bridle turned my oft-times quick and squirrley TB mare into a pot of soft, melted butter.

The only reason I went without the noseband was because I had taken it off to be mended and had not put it back on.

It's not like it was ever done up really tight, it fit well, and was comfy leather. Why would removing it have made such a difference? Any ideas? Or simply coincidence?

Thomas_1
May. 21, 2010, 01:06 PM
You probably need to know how a bit and bridle works.

Then explain what bit you use. What sort of nose band it was and show us a photo of you riding and then I could explain precisely why.

It won't be coincidence. It's because you no longer have the action or leverage there.

BaroquePony
May. 21, 2010, 01:10 PM
God intervenes in strange ways :lol:

Candle
May. 21, 2010, 03:25 PM
I've heard theories that the noseband will cause the inner cheeks to rub against any sharp points on the teeth. Also, if the horse has a lot of mouth movement, it could be causing her to catch her cheeks in between her teeth and pinch herself. This is a principle behind the Micklem bridle, that the noseband is arranged so it doesn't touch the lips/cheeks in the teeth areas. I had a horse like that once, and it was a mental "flashback" thing I think, that he had a weird history and a noseband gave him major flashbacks to his western gaming days and he charged like a train with a simple, very loose leather cavesson. Weird :D

Come Shine
May. 21, 2010, 04:53 PM
Oh Thomas. There simply isn't enough bandwidth on the internet to explain what I don't know. And to post something that showed me riding? I only do that at X-Mas time when I am too groggy with eggnog to think straight! Thank you for the kind offer though. :)

Candle: That does make sense in a weird way. She is a super mouthy mare and yesterday, without the noseband, was the first day she didn't seem to "yawn" (for lack of a better description) a lot. I will definitely have to consider this possibility along with the notion of divine intervention.

Horses and weird? Yup.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 21, 2010, 04:55 PM
Have you had her teeth checked recently?

Burbank
May. 21, 2010, 05:07 PM
she could be out of alignment in her atlas or in her jaw. i know someone who took her noseband off for her dressage horse b/c he was being very unhappy. later she had a chiro come out and he adjusted those to places and her horse was fine with a noseband again.

i thought it was kinda odd but hey it worked

Janet
May. 21, 2010, 05:07 PM
Any possibility that, at some time in the past, she was ridden with a studded or chain caveson?

eqinegirl
May. 21, 2010, 05:10 PM
I agree with Janet!!!!

Come Shine
May. 21, 2010, 08:37 PM
I'm 99.99% sure she's never been ridden with a studded or chain noseband. She's 14, I've had her 4 years, knew the two trainers who had her before me (no studded nosebands there!), and before that she was a broodmare and very lower level riding horse. Plus she's not fussy about the noseband at all, it was just super weird what a HUGELY different horse she was without it. She's also not generally unhappy, it was just such a bizarre difference that it made me wonder. It was literally going from a semi-good ammie ride needed to a quiet, kick to the distance, sit and look pretty beginner horse.

She did have her teeth done a while ago and they were fine but I can see how the way she mouths the bit, she could certainly find the noseband irritating, now that I think about it. Kind of like having a piece of lettuce stuck in your teeth.

She could certainly be out of alignment. Goodness, at our ages, I'm sure we both are. :)

Tiffani B
May. 21, 2010, 08:43 PM
Going cavesson-less is a common practice in the Saddle Seat world. It often helps the horse relax their jaw. They don't brace against the noseband, the bits can move more freely and there is no pinching or rubbing.

Sometimes I wish we could show without one.

Come Shine
May. 21, 2010, 10:24 PM
That's what I love about horses. They teach you something new every day.

JumpWithPanache
May. 22, 2010, 05:57 PM
I might have to try this with my mare... just for grins. She's not too bad, but can be kind of mouthy and likes to "yawn". Wonder if I'll get the drastic/weird response.

Come Shine
May. 25, 2010, 10:35 PM
Well, definitely not a coincidence. She hasn't been ridden since last Thursday and was as light as melted butter today - outside even - and no yawning. Very, very strange! :)