PDA

View Full Version : Tackoholics-- Die like Elvis but post here first

mvp
May. 21, 2010, 10:27 AM
Elvis Presley, who expired on the crapper as a result of too many drugs, too mixed for too long, inspires this thread for us tack junkies.

Post your tack of choice-- the beautiful, the heinous-- the stuff you just can't put down and enjoy in any form, the stuff you wish you could kick to the curb. Pics are even better.

I'll start with a poor picture, but a great piece of tack: http://s800.photobucket.com/albums/yy284/BaldwinEffect/?action=view&current=IMG_0466.jpg

A rare newmarket lead. Edgewood, 1 inch wide, square raised in the front section, double chains for attaching to a bit. Bought in the late 1990s in NorCal and I have never seen another one like it.

I can't see where I'll ever use it since I don't plan to breed baby horses to show in hand, or kids to show leadline. But it was and is too beautiful not to own. The ladies dressed to the nines for leadline at Devon (forchrissakes) can't complete the picture without one of these.

Yours?

Lucassb
May. 21, 2010, 11:08 AM
mvp, you *knew* I'd play!

Nice shank, btw.

My favorite is actually a raised, padded version but that one's at the barn (I do actually use it from time to time, LOL.)

This one is the second place finisher. It's a nice havana shank that is braided to resemble the old school braided style reins (which I much prefer to the laced variety that is so common now.)

BAC
May. 21, 2010, 11:34 AM
I never knew leadshanks could be so pretty. Unfortunately I don't have anything especially different to post but you have both made me decide I need to add a leather shank to my tack collection. I always use my Antares, which I love.

ponymom64
May. 21, 2010, 11:37 AM
mvp, you *knew* I'd play!

Nice shank, btw.

My favorite is actually a raised, padded version but that one's at the barn (I do actually use it from time to time, LOL.)

This one is the second place finisher. It's a nice havana shank that is braided to resemble the old school braided style reins (which I much prefer to the laced variety that is so common now.)

OMG! That is beautiful!!!

It was very considerate of you to embed the picture - since I can't view most of the photo links from work ;)

DMK
May. 21, 2010, 11:49 AM
*Snork* I have not one but two chifney leads (they are semi useful for HB horses, but they are to die for if you are taking a jumper to the ring and have reins+running and can't easily pull the reins over the head). My current fave is this beautiful creature:

http://www.tackshackocala.com/colesh.html

That shank leather is like glove leather, and I use that shank all the time when I pony my 3 year old.

For sheer practical things, I love my yoke. Perfect for chest plate drawreins, but even more useful when I started the aforementioned 3 year old. I'm not a fan of standings for anything other than dress at show, but a nice neck strap goes a long way the first time that 3 year old decides to buck! Or that was the plan... Sadly it didn't work to plan (it never does) but he was only good for one session and he was done. LOL everyone else is SMRT enough to send their youngsters off to a trainer, but I just had to do it myself. Oh well, sense of pride and accomplishment and all that... it comes with Bruised Ass. :p

Lucassb
May. 21, 2010, 11:50 AM
There was a (brief) period of time when I was trying to give up purchasing bridles and needed another, er, outlet... and I found pretty lead shanks nearly as gratifying. As well as easier to store, LOL. I have run out of room on my bridle rack.

I wish I had taken a photo of the one I got as a Christmas gift for my former groom. It was a raised, fancy stitched jumper shank and I had his name "engraved" on a leather "plate" instead of the usual brass. It was really unusual and he loved it.

ReSomething
May. 21, 2010, 11:53 AM
A real tack junkie thread? Junkie as in you have it or covet it just because of how it looks? I have to nominate my trainer's old fine harness. No pics, sorry, but back in the day it was a lovely thing and it still has intricate stitching and these complicated shield designs embossed on it at connection points. Really nice bridle leather, not that patent stuff, so it probably wasn't fancy enough for the job, but I love just looking at it/handling it/breathing it in.

ponymom64
May. 21, 2010, 12:04 PM
Do clothes count? I have a beautiful collection of wool coolers - no pictures but they are gorgeous....

My personal favorite for schooling day or a lesson day is the navy blue and black Glen plaid with navy binding and a soft yellow piping - yellow mono to match

Our show day cooler is an amazing navy blue wool with a really cool weave, with navy binding, lt blue and lt grey piping - lt blue mono to match

Then there is the heavyweight melton in black with black binding and lt grey and lt blue piping - two color mono in grey and blue

Then the everyday home cooler - light grey with navy binding and lt blue piping - mono in lt blue

and the other at home cooler - a rust and light yellow Eskadron

TrakeGirl
May. 21, 2010, 12:12 PM
http://www.tackshackocala.com/colesh.html

That shank leather is like glove leather, and I use that shank all the time when I pony my 3 year old.

Oh you did NOT just link me to that. I have never seen anything like that before and I MUST HAVE IT!!!! (Maybe 2.)

My guy unfortunately learned at age 3 that he if got a step ahead of me when I am leading him with a normal lead rope, he could take off. I started leading him with a chain over his nose and to this day (age 11) he'll still do it to me if I try to lead him with a normal lead rope (I think he sees me thinking about it in my mind). AND he only does it to me. The barn staff leads him with no problem without a chain. Me - he gets this glint in his eye and off to the races!! So chain over the nose it is, but I always wrap it so it won't cut in. But THIS...I LOVE THIS. The covered chain is a great idea!!!!

Lucassb
May. 21, 2010, 12:14 PM
Do clothes count? I have a beautiful collection of wool coolers - no pictures but they are gorgeous....

My personal favorite for schooling day or a lesson day is the navy blue and black Glen plaid with navy binding and a soft yellow piping - yellow mono to match

Our show day cooler is an amazing navy blue wool with a really cool weave, with navy binding, lt blue and lt grey piping - lt blue mono to match

Then there is the heavyweight melton in black with black binding and lt grey and lt blue piping - two color mono in grey and blue

Then the everyday home cooler - light grey with navy binding and lt blue piping - mono in lt blue

and the other at home cooler - a rust and light yellow Eskadron

I am happy to vouch for your cooler collection - they are lovely!!!!

Lucassb
May. 21, 2010, 12:22 PM
This is another favorite, although I don't currently have a jumper to put it on. (I envision it looking fab on a mahogany bay with lots of white.)

The only rub is with something this blinged out, you would definitely have to ride like a rockstar or risk being the subject of some serious snickering.

ponymom64
May. 21, 2010, 12:25 PM
This is another favorite, although I don't currently have a jumper to put it on. (I envision it looking fab on a mahogany bay with lots of white.)

The only rub is with something this blinged out, you would definitely have to ride like a rockstar or risk being the subject of some serious snickering.

Definitely requires a rockstar ride but gojus nonetheless....

Is the mahogany bay you picture it on the one that just came into the barn? ;)

Lucassb
May. 21, 2010, 12:32 PM
Definitely requires a rockstar ride but gojus nonetheless....

Is the mahogany bay you picture it on the one that just came into the barn? ;)

Stop!! He is spoken for!!!!

<I do not have time to ride another horse. I do not have time to ride another horse. I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO RIDE ANOTHER HORSE.>

It would look great on him, though. LOL.

BAC
May. 21, 2010, 12:59 PM
Stop!! He is spoken for!!!!

<I do not have time to ride another horse. I do not have time to ride another horse. I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO RIDE ANOTHER HORSE.>

It would look great on him, though. LOL.

I think you are protesting too much, and that soon you are going to add another horse to the family. You really do need another, if only to put to use all those bridles you own. I like the clincher bridle, is that ADT?

ponymom64
May. 21, 2010, 01:12 PM
I think you are protesting too much, and that soon you are going to add another horse to the family. You really do need another, if only to put to use all those bridles you own. I like the clincher bridle, is that ADT?

If Lucassb got a jumper - I *know* of someone who would LOVE to help with the riding, since LB, is of course too busy to commit to an additional everyday ride ;)

Lucassb
May. 21, 2010, 01:30 PM

Thanks! I liked it too - it's a bit unusual, you know what a sucker I am for stuff like that. And the leather is fab. It's a T de T bridle, but I have CWD reins on it.

If Lucassb got a jumper - I *know* of someone who would LOVE to help with the riding, since LB, is of course too busy to commit to an additional everyday ride ;)

Oh boy, talk about ENABLING. You guys are worse than Mr. Lucassb.

To be perfectly honest, I would buy that horse in a heartbeat, BUT he is spoken for. So, not available <sob>

ponymom64
May. 21, 2010, 01:39 PM
Oh boy, talk about ENABLING. You guys are worse than Mr. Lucassb.

To be perfectly honest, I would buy that horse in a heartbeat, BUT he is spoken for. So, not available <sob>

We do what we can ;)

mvp
May. 21, 2010, 01:40 PM
I can't catch up-- but it's nice to try.

On shanks:

Lucassb-- is that a Quillen's creation? I thought about adding a braided shank to my collection, but I tried to justify *not* buying one of those for fear it would stretch in battle conditions. Not that it looks like you have used this one, but do you think so?

I'll reveal others in my collection, and other nice storage techniques in time. But I'm certainly guilty of owning unused tack.

DMK--The leather covered chain shank looks awesome, too. Nice price as well. Do you think it would be a PITA to feed through halter rings? And what happens when you wear through the leather on said halter rings? Does the leather defeat the purpose of the chain?

I don't mean to diss your choice. Just looking for reasons not to buy. We "I really need a reason to quit" addicts will cling to just about anything.

I wish I had a picture of the handmade rolled shank I gave to someone else as a present. From Luckett's ? Tack behind the backgate at Churchill Downs. When I travel, I put tack stores on my "must visit" list the way other people visit museums and monuments. It's a sickness.

I'm sure we'll get plenty of bridles on this thread. Lucassb has set the bar pretty high to start.

Yes, you can add clothing, but you must add pics. It's too much work to imagine the colors when you are jonesing, ponymom.

And what up with buying different colors? Once I had a full wardrobe in barn colors, I swear to God, I thought about changing my color scheme just so I could start over. It would cost thousands.

Don't even get me started with chaps. But please show me your blingy ones. I think DMK can comply. Wait 'til you see those. You have no idea.

But the other part of this mix-n-match thread is about tack you hate or, as DMK posted, tack you like because of it's function.

More, more!

JA
May. 21, 2010, 01:42 PM
I have a beautiful older Jimmy's figure 8 fancy stitched bridle that he made by hand for my jumper. The leather is so soft and the stitching is beautiful. It has his old fancy stitch pattern. I will post a picture of it when I can. I use it everyday and the quality is great. Jimmy's older bridles were works of art IMO

vxf111
May. 21, 2010, 01:51 PM
Love my RGI custom waffle weave sheet... which fits none of my horses and given my propensity for buying big horses-- may never fit anyone again. It's hard to see but it has double piping in dove gray and lilac...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/Fox%20and%20Hounds%20Show%20April%2026%202008/?action=view&current=EarlyMorningShane.jpg

And while we're on a purple and gray theme... I have never met a hunt coat I like more than this badboy... gets compliments EVERYWHERE I go. I even have the coat for sale and I am puzzled that no one is snatching it up, it's the prettiest coat...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/Reinbows%20End%20Show%20Sept%209%202006/?action=view&current=DSC_0153.jpg

ponymom64
May. 21, 2010, 01:52 PM
I can't catch up-- but it's nice to try.

On shanks:

Lucassb-- is that a Quillen's creation? I thought about adding a braided shank to my collection, but I tried to justify *not* buying one of those for fear it would stretch in battle conditions. Not that it looks like you have used this one, but do you think so?

I'll reveal others in my collection, and other nice storage techniques in time. But I'm certainly guilty of owning unused tack.

DMK--The leather covered chain shank looks awesome, too. Nice price as well. Do you think it would be a PITA to feed through halter rings? And what happens when you wear through the leather on said halter rings? Does the leather defeat the purpose of the chain?

I don't mean to diss your choice. Just looking for reasons not to buy. We "I really need a reason to quit" addicts will cling to just about anything.

I wish I had a picture of the handmade rolled shank I gave to someone else as a present. From Luckett's ? Tack behind the backgate at Churchill Downs. When I travel, I put tack stores on my "must visit" list the way other people visit museums and monuments. It's a sickness.

I'm sure we'll get plenty of bridles on this thread. Lucassb has set the bar pretty high to start.

Yes, you can add clothing, but you must add pics. It's too much work to imagine the colors when you are jonesing, ponymom.

And what up with buying different colors? Once I had a full wardrobe in barn colors, I swear to God, I thought about changing my color scheme just so I could start over. It would cost thousands.

Don't even get me started with chaps. But please show me your blingy ones. I think DMK can comply. Wait 'til you see those. You have no idea.

But the other part of this mix-n-match thread is about tack you hate or, as DMK posted, tack you like because of it's function.

More, more!

Different colors, yes....

I buy what I think is pretty ;) I really can't help myself, if it's pretty and it's wool I *have* to have it. It's a sickness, really. I was talking to Katrina at the Clothes Horse the other day and she was describing some coolers she was making - double sided black and cream plaid on one side, black lightweight wool on the other with black binding and cream piping, with a two color mono, OMG.... it took every fiber of my being not to order one for the DD....

I'm actually feeling a little anxious right now because I didn't buy it....

BeeHoney
May. 21, 2010, 02:12 PM
I have two sets of amazing plaited reins, not braided, but plaited. Dark, soft english leather, I have no idea who the maker is. I got these at a going out of business sale at a tack shop about 20 years ago, and they still look and feel fabulous. I have a burning desire to acquire more plaited reins, but I have never been able to find anything comparable, the plaited reins I've seen on the market are crappy in comparison. I did see some Hadfields plaited reins on ebay a while back, but they were LOOONG. Longer than the reins that go with my O/S bridles, so I passed, but I still think about them. I love the plaited leadshanks, too, they feel so nice in your hands.

Last year I started collecting blingy western bridles. I have a Dale Chavez bridle with silver teardrop cheeks, and I actually did buy a QH to match it, but I didn't check the sizing first and his head was too small! :):) Anyway, oddly enough a bizarrely small cob size Edgewood I had tucked away fit him perfectly. I took that as a sign, and now he's learning to be a children's hunter, which is probably a good thing since I don't actually ride western.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 21, 2010, 02:21 PM
Hey tackoholics...anybody have a really gorgeous running martingale? Raised, fancy stitched, square raised, anything fun like that? I'm addicted to pretty martingales and haven't seen any newer ones that I like in about 10 years. I gave in and use CWD ones now, but I've always found the collar/yoke to be too narrow - i like something wide and lined.

ClothesHorse
May. 21, 2010, 02:38 PM
awww shucks, PonyMom - you say the nicest things! I am a bit of a tackaholic myself... (hard to imagine, I know - but I love me a pretty bridle!). I know I have some pix around here somewhere....

And even though I am a diehard h/j person - those blingy western bridles make my heart swoon!

Lucassb
May. 21, 2010, 02:49 PM
We do what we can ;)

LOL, yes, true - you're very good that way. And BAC, too.

OK, to continue the game... since I'm on a jumper tack theme at the moment.

These are my favorite hind boots: (This is a stock photo since mine are the barn.... the ones I have have a very similar closure although the "wave" shape is narrower.)

DMK
May. 21, 2010, 02:52 PM
the leather covering on the chain most definitely has a lifespan, but mine is over a year old with no obvious signs of wear and tear. When it's a goner, just like chaps, I will send it back for another sleeve. I don't find it particularly hard to feed and trust me, after a near amputation of my right thumb last year, manual dexterity is compromised with the owner-operator! I love it because when I pony the youngster I want control but he really is good with a regular lead 99% of the time even out in the rugged wilderness - this is a nice compromise without going into overkill. And I wuv it.

Here's what it looks like in use. Let me know if you need a rational not to buy it, I'll try to help. ;)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3454/3374506818_04a71a39ac_b.jpg

And yes, chaps, i has a love for my chaps. I am, however, fairly far removed from your stereotypical ring princess these days as evidenced by my pics (and secretly enjoying the break).

Lucassb
May. 21, 2010, 02:52 PM
Different colors, yes....

I buy what I think is pretty ;) I really can't help myself, if it's pretty and it's wool I *have* to have it. It's a sickness, really. I was talking to Katrina at the Clothes Horse the other day and she was describing some coolers she was making - double sided black and cream plaid on one side, black lightweight wool on the other with black binding and cream piping, with a two color mono, OMG.... it took every fiber of my being not to order one for the DD....

I'm actually feeling a little anxious right now because I didn't buy it....

OMG, we MUST have those!!! Maybe Katrina will give us a small discount for multiples?! I need one in an 84...

kellyb
May. 21, 2010, 03:02 PM
I have coveted the KL select figure 8 bridle in Smartpak forever, finally bought one. I loff it!! Now I just need some talent to go along with it. :)

http://keliente.com/May%202010/2.jpg

ponymom64
May. 21, 2010, 03:05 PM
OMG, we MUST have those!!! Maybe Katrina will give us a small discount for multiples?! I need one in an 84...

It would look LOVELY on Spree and I'm sure pretty nice on a mahogany bay with chrome ;)

Lucassb
May. 21, 2010, 03:06 PM
And yes, chaps, i has a love for my chaps. I am, however, fairly far removed from your stereotypical ring princess these days as evidenced by my pics (and secretly enjoying the break).

DMK, I *love* those chaps!!!! Love them!!

Here are mine... I like yours better.

Coreene
May. 21, 2010, 03:07 PM
I have seven double bridles. Six black and one brown. I vowed that this year not a single new strap good world arrive at my address. But nooooooooo, y'all have to go all photo posty linky drooly on me and now I have to order a new posh black leather lead to go with the adored Kieffer halter and search for extra long braided black reins and think about a f%&king cooler! Thanks for nothing! Thanks for everything! Damnit all and Elvis! :lol:

Lucassb
May. 21, 2010, 03:07 PM
It would look LOVELY on Spree and I'm sure pretty nice on a mahogany bay with chrome ;)

You are relentless!! (Which is why we get along so well :D )

But I want it for Spree... those are his favorite colors. :)

DMK
May. 21, 2010, 04:35 PM
I do love the basketweave on chap yokes! My last pair were along that color theme although not nearly as pretty. For this pair I decided to beat up "subtle" and leave her whimpering in the dirt, in case it wasn't obvious. I know when I put the color combination together I wasn't quite sure how it would work - I figured awesome or horrific, but in any event, NOT subtle. ;) Fortunately for all concerned they came out awesome.

This might be another thread's topic, but I figure all the people who experiment with different tack will show up here as well, so let's expand it to ... saddle pads. Old hunter in all the pics has allowed me to fully embrace my padaholic nature even if he truly loves his good old Beval wither relief pad mostest and bestest. But you can stack pads on his ol' shark fin withers all day long and it's all good. The young horse? He's not precisely mutton withered and flat but he's as close to that state as you can be without being officially deemed as such.

Problem: All my beloved pads are too bulky.

I'm riding him in a thicker jumper square and that is it, but I really want a rolled edge on a pad for a bit more pad stability (later I will worry about showing). Even my fleeceworks back relief pad is too bulky, I feel like I'm perched atop him instead of riding him. So I'm looking for cheapish and fleece half pad-ish. Cheapish because he's 3 and everything is an experiment and being 3 he could change tomorrow. But if it is as thick as fleeceworks, it's too thick. I was looking at the cheapie Roma half pads and they look ideal. Has anyone tried them? I can deal with a little bit of cheap construction because I will replace with better quality later, I just don't want to waste my $ on something that falls apart after 2 gentle cycles in the wash.

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Lucassb
May. 21, 2010, 06:37 PM
I do love the basketweave on chap yokes! My last pair were along that color theme although not nearly as pretty. For this pair I decided to beat up "subtle" and leave her whimpering in the dirt, in case it wasn't obvious. I know when I put the color combination together I wasn't quite sure how it would work - I figured awesome or horrific, but in any event, NOT subtle. ;) Fortunately for all concerned they came out awesome.

I am a fan of basketweave too, but I bought those when I was riding a dark bay. They are not so perfect on my black horse (although he *does* turn a fairly dark seal brown in summer, not that I want to wear those things in the heat...) However, I am engaging you to design my next pair. Yours are tasty.

Problem: All my beloved pads are too bulky.

I'm riding him in a thicker jumper square and that is it, but I really want a rolled edge on a pad for a bit more pad stability (later I will worry about showing). Even my fleeceworks back relief pad is too bulky, I feel like I'm perched atop him instead of riding him. So I'm looking for cheapish and fleece half pad-ish. Cheapish because he's 3 and everything is an experiment and being 3 he could change tomorrow. But if it is as thick as fleeceworks, it's too thick. I was looking at the cheapie Roma half pads and they look ideal. Has anyone tried them? I can deal with a little bit of cheap construction because I will replace with better quality later, I just don't want to waste my $ on something that falls apart after 2 gentle cycles in the wash.

Cheapish is relative, of course. But I love, love, love this pad from Thinline: http://thinlineglobal.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=140

It is *great* over a thin baby pad - way thinner than a Fleeceworks and they hold up nicely. And the added bennie is that ultra thinline keeps the saddle from shifting around at all.

I bought the ultra thinline because I was having some pretty significant back pain when I rode, (and it has reduced that by about 80%) but love the way it anchors my saddle almost as much. And it's pretty ;)

They are on ebay pretty often for decent discounts... if you want thin, make sure you get the one that has the quilted bottom, not the full sheepskin.

mvp
May. 21, 2010, 06:42 PM
I have seven double bridles. Six black and one brown. I vowed that this year not a single new strap good world arrive at my address. But nooooooooo, y'all have to go all photo posty linky drooly on me and now I have to order a new posh black leather lead to go with the adored Kieffer halter and search for extra long braided black reins and think about a f%&king cooler! Thanks for nothing! Thanks for everything! Damnit all and Elvis! :lol:

Like you were going to quit. I seem to remember a very long thread about a pimptastic western saddle. We haven't even gotten to western yet....

And good for you having nice brown dressage tack! That's how I roll, too.

Lucassb
May. 21, 2010, 06:50 PM
Yeah, c'mon Coreene, you know you don't want to miss out on the fun. You're one of US...

Not tack, strictly speaking, but I do really like my new field boots. Der Dau, black baby calf, croco detail at the top and at the toe cap...

mvp
May. 21, 2010, 07:15 PM
Lucassb, those are just beyond!

OK, back to functional....yet useless: http://s800.photobucket.com/albums/yy284/BaldwinEffect/?action=view&current=IMG_0296.jpg

A great set of hobbles that I don't know how to use.

Back when I was a sprout in NorCal I had a great vacquero horsewoman friend (who, incidentally was a meth fiend for a bit), and who nevertheless could teach a horse just about anything. She knew how to use hobbles. When I was at the Grand National at the SF Cow Palace, I found these among some spectacular western shopping booths.

They express my "type specimen" mentality: If you are going to get a piece of tack *ever* and you happen to see the best version of it just wild in the bush, you must collect it.

The shopping at that Cow Palace show is emblazoned on my mind. It makes me want to go to Quarter Horse Congress just for the shopping.

callmegold
May. 21, 2010, 07:22 PM
*snip*

The shopping at that Cow Palace show is emblazoned on mind mind. It makes me want to go to Quarter Horse Congress just for the shopping.

I live in Central Ohio, and if you haven't been, Congress has the BEST shopping ever.

rideforthelaurels16
May. 21, 2010, 08:04 PM
I was looking at the cheapie Roma half pads and they look ideal. Has anyone tried them? I can deal with a little bit of cheap construction because I will replace with better quality later, I just don't want to waste my $ on something that falls apart after 2 gentle cycles in the wash.

I picked up a gently used Roma half-pad at the Dover NH bargain basement for $40 almost two years ago, and have since ridden with it on a damn near daily basis - sometimes on multiple horses in one day. It still looks like it did the day I bought it - has survived many washes, doesn't hold onto stains, and hasn't gotten "lumpy" or started to lose patches. I LOVE it - it is definitely my most-used piece of equipment!

theinstigator
May. 21, 2010, 09:23 PM
Not tack, strictly speaking, but I do really like my new field boots. Der Dau, black baby calf, croco detail at the top and at the toe cap...
Oh see those are beauuuuutiful. I'm normally such a traditionalist but ::: DROOL :::

I still have my very first pair of custom chaps that bought in '97? They aren't nearly as pretty as the ones posted here but I LOVE them. Classic Navy with tan piping and my name embroidered on the back.....So soft, so broken in, and never had a repair other than being taken in from stretching out. I only ride one horse four-five days a week now, but these things lived through several years of "assistant trainer" abuse that I put them through.

I have a pair of older Beval plaited reins that I just adore, and would duplicate for everyday reins if I could, but they live in my bridle bag in the basement until I have my own horse to show again. I also love (but no longer fit into) my nameplate belt and my black/silver clincher belt. Sigh.

billiebob
May. 21, 2010, 09:47 PM
DMK--I love my Roma half pad. It's better than ones that cost twice as much. I haven't murdered it in the laundry yet, so the construction is quite good :lol:. I don't use it much anymore because my horse loves his Thinline contour pad, but it survived me for a year so you should be good.

You guys are SO bad. I want custom full chaps like nobody's business now......and a leather-covered chain shank (nevermind that a little kid could probably lead my horse).....and some plaited reins to go with my figure 8 bridle......I need to win the lottery!

shalomypony
May. 21, 2010, 09:50 PM
Elvis Presley, who expired on the crapper as a result of too many drugs, too mixed for too long, inspires this thread for us tack junkies.

Post your tack of choice-- the beautiful, the heinous-- the stuff you just can't put down and enjoy in any form, the stuff you wish you could kick to the curb. Pics are even better.

I'll start with a poor picture, but a great piece of tack: http://s800.photobucket.com/albums/yy284/BaldwinEffect/?action=view&current=IMG_0466.jpg

A rare newmarket lead. Edgewood, 1 inch wide, square raised in the front section, double chains for attaching to a bit. Bought in the late 1990s in NorCal and I have never seen another one like it.

I can't see where I'll ever use it since I don't plan to breed baby horses to show in hand, or kids to show leadline. But it was and is too beautiful not to own. The ladies dressed to the nines for leadline at Devon (forchrissakes) can't complete the picture without one of these.

Yours?

I have that same exact shank.I also have one almost identical but behind the raised part the rest is round and braided,stunning....never used it.It hangs in my bedroom with my other cool tack.

theinstigator
May. 21, 2010, 09:55 PM
I need to win the lottery!
Join the club!!!!!!!!!! :D

DMK
May. 21, 2010, 10:22 PM
that's good to hear about the Roma. I think (know) we will end up with the thinline for showing, but that's next year's project.

In the meantime, my saddle/pad/horse relationship is a lot like the princess and the pea with my ass as the princess and every pad I own playing the role of the pea. They all just do not feel right, and don't feel right immediately. I'll be fairly irritated if that happens with a $45 roma pad, but a thinline pad? I'm still steaming over the fleeceworks pad and I bought that for another horse, but I am sitting here thinking, "OK, he's retired, I gift thee with a $240 pad... what? you don't like it? You ungrateful schmuck!" And by schmuck, I do mean my princess butt. ;) I still hold out hope that I will like it more w/o a baby pad underneath it, but I am kidding myself, I've even tried it with those horrid old thin bunch up under your legs ones that are paper thin and it is still too much.

Stop thinking about how your horse leads and his complete lack of need for a shank, leather covered or otherwise... now think about leading your horse off the trailer in 4 snowy white flannels and a leather covered shank at a big horse show. That kind of changes the picture, doesn't it? ;)

billiebob
May. 21, 2010, 11:00 PM
Stop thinking about how your horse leads and his complete lack of need for a shank, leather covered or otherwise... now think about leading your horse off the trailer in 4 snowy white flannels and a leather covered shank at a big horse show. That kind of changes the picture, doesn't it? ;)

Ohhhhh, he'd look great in white flannels! He's seal bay without any noticeable white, so I like to flash him up a bit. Although we haven't shown yet and I can really only afford schooling and local shows, I'm more than happy to overdress :lol:. Seriously, he *needs* a nice lead for his leather halter and I don't have a chain shank. Hmmmm.........

Coreene
May. 21, 2010, 11:25 PM
Last year I bought a western show saddle because I always wanted one. And we do use it, I love it. And, yes, i spent forever looking for a silver western headstall that would fit a warmblood. And then the matching reins. And then the bit. And the brown double? To go with the jumping saddle that I got because I liked how the same company's dressage saddle fit. Only now it's sans bradoon hanger and sporting a pretty D-ring because, of course, it looks nice.

KristieBee
May. 22, 2010, 12:32 AM
Yeah, c'mon Coreene, you know you don't want to miss out on the fun. You're one of US...

My husband just heard me audibly gasp...and came over to see what I was gasping over. He checked out the boots, and said, they are nice - while I still sat there drooling. Then he asked, does she have a full picture? To which I said, "No - that's it. Lucassb is being a tease."

;)

DIVINE.

intrepid
May. 22, 2010, 12:51 AM
Ugh... I have so many items that may never actually get used again but I can't part with them because they're so beautiful, such as my Devoucoux bellyguard girth, Antares breastplate, clincher figure 8 bridle, several handmade fly bonnets and coordinating browbands (swarovski crystals, pearls, and unique beads), Der Dau custom dress boots, and my buttery soft calfskin BR saddle that will not fit anything I'm riding now. All of these items are carefully stowed away in my show trunk (another item not likely to be used again) along with several dress sheets in an area generally out of sight, although regrettably not out of mind. DH has forbidden me from doing any more big jumpers (had a bad fall a few years ago) although I think his stance may be softening with time.

pintopiaffe
May. 22, 2010, 01:34 AM
It took me FIVE YEARS to get the rolled double in newmarket... gently oiled to chestnut.

I should've bought the Otto Schumacher way back then--it's gone up $200 since. Instead had a whole 18 month saga of a custom order from England that I never got, finally got, and the reins were NOT rolled, the ends were hook stud, not buckle, and the noseband was wrong. :sigh:

Thankfully a harness shop was able to change out the ends, I scoured Ebay for Tori rolled reins which are a perfect match, and bought no less than THREE brown rolled snaffles to get a noseband that matches.

Black rolled snaffles? I think I'm up to four. I think. Himself used to wear black until I got the Ancient Passier. The SillyFilly will have one. The Young Master Irrenaeus will have one. The Heir Apparant and The Blue Eyed Blonde(tm) will inherit Himself's chestnut stuff.

And we won't talk about saddle pads. I finally have two solid coloured horses. For years I have suppressed my inner artist... I crave plaids and paisleys, but it was just too much on the already blingy horses...

The SillyFilly--bright bay with just teensy, tiny star--has: 1 each, purple plaid, pastel plaid (YUM!) and classic Campbell plaid.

I am pathetically, pathetically coveting paisley and colorblock Davis splint boots for her. :sigh: It's wrong. It's an illness.

Rain has the purple sparkley ones. :p

Coreene
May. 22, 2010, 02:09 AM
Coming next from Europe: fat bling-a-rama browband AND noseband on same bridle. Cannot do sparkle bling on Oliver, thank goodness, too much blaze and it clashes. Have now gone from OMGiH to Can't Wait when I think about a lovely new leather lead, braided with brass chain. That mvp and her enabling thread FORCES me to buy. Without even saying "Coreene, you should buy one."

mvp
May. 22, 2010, 07:44 AM
I have that same exact shank.I also have one almost identical but behind the raised part the rest is round and braided,stunning....never used it.It hangs in my bedroom with my other cool tack.

Getouttatown! Edgewood? Round and braided? I can't even imagine. You must post a pic of this rare bird.

mvp
May. 22, 2010, 07:48 AM
It took me FIVE YEARS to get the rolled double in newmarket... gently oiled to chestnut.

And i have been waiting about 9 months to see a picture of this thing.

mvp
May. 22, 2010, 07:55 AM
On the half pad front-- I have a whole library.... and believe in saddle fit. Any contradiction?

I did assemble the library in the 1990s before there was any real hope of finding a CC saddle that fit. The oldest items in my catalogue are:

Dressage size GelPad. Good I got the large size because saddlers have finally figured out that we should increase surface area.

And a Wilkers fleece and cotton over that makes the whole shebang way too thick for any saddle, but which would make it possible to show in the Gelpad.

Skito closed-cell foam pad. Also dressage size (by accident, now happy). This was the closed cell foam that started it all. The people Skito now are very nice and will custom build you what you want.

So the trainer friend of mine wants to know which of these pads is better. Apparently she put her hand underneath each pad and, in turn, hit it with a hammer. Sh!t you not. The Gel pad came out on top.

Lucassb
May. 22, 2010, 09:54 AM
On the half pad front-- I have a whole library.... and believe in saddle fit. Any contradiction?

I did assemble the library in the 1990s before there was any real hope of finding a CC saddle that fit. The oldest items in my catalogue are:

Dressage size GelPad. Good I got the large size because saddlers have finally figured out that we should increase surface area.

And a Wilkers fleece and cotton over that makes the whole shebang way too thick for any saddle, but which would make it possible to show in the Gelpad.

Skito closed-cell foam pad. Also dressage size (by accident, now happy). This was the closed cell foam that started it all. The people Skito now are very nice and will custom build you what you want.

So the trainer friend of mine wants to know which of these pads is better. Apparently she put her hand underneath each pad and, in turn, hit it with a hammer. Sh!t you not. The Gel pad came out on top.

Totally believe both in half pads *and* saddle fit.

I have been on a quest for a while to find a half pad that doesn't actually alter my saddle fit - after a couple years of having saddles made, remade and discarded... I have a Butet that fits Mr. Sensitive like a glove. But I loves me a pretty half pad.

Current collection in reverse order of preference:

Beval wither pad (Sooooo 90's!) So thick it has never actually been used for more than five minutes, LOL. But a lovely decoration for the bottom of my trunk.

Grand Prix gel pad, natural fleece rolls. I love the look of this pad. Honeycomb gel is definitely super protective. Downsides? Pretty heavy/hot... and thicker than ideal.

Various Mattes pads, (with and without sheepskin back rolls, shims, etc) These are pretty nice and hold up well to laundering. I don't care for where they place the cut out for the wither relief, but otherwise these are quite useful.

Cloud Nine - hands down THE best solution if you are dealing with any kind of exertion related back soreness/stiffness (the sort you can sometimes have the day after jumping on hard ground.) It LOOKS thick but compresses really well without creating pressure points.

Thinline Trifecta - the current favorite. Ultra thinline pad incorporated into a *quilted* half pad with sheepskin rolls front and back. The perfect combo of pretty and function.

Lucassb
May. 22, 2010, 09:58 AM
My husband just heard me audibly gasp...and came over to see what I was gasping over. He checked out the boots, and said, they are nice - while I still sat there drooling. Then he asked, does she have a full picture? To which I said, "No - that's it. Lucassb is being a tease."

;)

DIVINE.

:winkgrin:

Actually I was just being lazy... I had taken that photo a while ago to show a friend who asked about the trim, and just re-used it instead of breaking out the camera again. Happy to get other pics if you'd like them!!

mvp
May. 22, 2010, 12:41 PM
Totally believe both in half pads *and* saddle fit.

I have been on a quest for a while to find a half pad that doesn't actually alter my saddle fit - after a couple years of having saddles made, remade and discarded... I have a Butet that fits Mr. Sensitive like a glove. But I loves me a pretty half pad.

Current collection in reverse order of preference:

Beval wither pad (Sooooo 90's!) So thick it has never actually been used for more than five minutes, LOL. But a lovely decoration for the bottom of my trunk.

Grand Prix gel pad, natural fleece rolls. I love the look of this pad. Honeycomb gel is definitely super protective. Downsides? Pretty heavy/hot... and thicker than ideal.

Various Mattes pads, (with and without sheepskin back rolls, shims, etc) These are pretty nice and hold up well to laundering. I don't care for where they place the cut out for the wither relief, but otherwise these are quite useful.

Cloud Nine - hands down THE best solution if you are dealing with any kind of exertion related back soreness/stiffness (the sort you can sometimes have the day after jumping on hard ground.) It LOOKS thick but compresses really well without creating pressure points.

Thinline Trifecta - the current favorite. Ultra thinline pad incorporated into a *quilted* half pad with sheepskin rolls front and back. The perfect combo of pretty and function.

Yeah, I know. Half pads look nice and feel good. I like them especially since I find myself in the Short-on-Wide position and I think these create a horse with a more normal roof-top shape.

I worry about the inconsistency of the half pad library and preference for nicely fitting saddles. But I'm not ditching them.

I did snatch up a gently used GrandPrix gel.sheepskin pad.

Here's the bad thing. Not having bought a half pad in a long, long time, I'm hemming and hawing over the $75 price tag. I get home and the trainer wants to trade me just about anything for it. I get in front of a computer and realize these things retall for $225. So the object lesson is not one I need: If you see something that's functional, beautiful and good quality, and seems half-way reasonably priced, you Must Buy It Then. Worry about your use for it later.

In any case, you can borrow mine if you want one to test drive.

Coreene
May. 22, 2010, 12:42 PM
Don't you start on Mattes pads. I have one, a bright red dressidge one with black sheepskin. DUUUUUUDE, fabulous. But will stop there, even though I did find a German guy on eBay who sells them wholesale. ;) And I should PS on the bling-a-ling bridles: I shall not own one, but they are the next pimpo fad coming from our Auf Deutsch bretheren.

tarheelmd07
May. 22, 2010, 02:41 PM
I love blingy tack...seriously, if it's sparkly, I must have it...clinchers, crystals, you name it, I love it...and I also love pink...luckily I'm primarily an eventer, with a second passion for the jumper ring, so I can indulge myself in my love of pink.

thus I give you...my black bridle with pink padding...AND pink sparkly browband...over the top, yes. rarely used, yes, but I will never get rid of it (plus, who else wants an O/S pink sparkle bridle...)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/?action=view&current=handsome-1.jpg

I also love beautiful hunter tack...strange because I do maybe 4 hunter shows per year (though I used to foxhunt and look forward to getting back into that). My husband has finally given in...and bought me brown der dau field boots for our anniversary. They arrived 2 days ago and I cannot wait to wear them in the show ring!

pintopiaffe
May. 22, 2010, 05:06 PM
oh... if the SillyFilly ever ends up DOING anything, she will have an understated bling browband/cavesson set : http://www.txwarmbloods.com/cavesons/le%20jardin%20fleur.htm

The Blue Eyed Blonde(tm) might too.

Hunter tack... let's not talk about it. I'm trying, TRYING to refrain from buying anything else until we find out if we'll even GO round-and-round in company.

But I COVET a padded, stitched oakbark bridle (with matching raised front reins) for our ridiculous midlife crisis foray into the Breed Show Hunter Ring.

I am All About coloured padding. The Heir Apparant (dark red chetty, cute star/stripe/snip) got a Tori in oakbark with hunter padding. YUM! I've also got a PURPLE (!) padded rolled cavesson... someday someone will wear it. The horse I got it for died before ever making it up here... but someday...

And before Ovation came out with it, I had already messed with adding velcro and a piece of biothane for interchangeable 'padding' on cavessons. I shoulda patented it. Booo!!!

Rolled... rolled... All things rolled. Loff me a rolled nose halter. Oh--but there's also a padded fancy stitched halter I'm coveting.

BUCKLE NOSE HALTERS. Why the hell are they not more popular? They are SO useful! And I love the way they look. A friend from Oz sent me The Cutest buckstitched buckle nose hater that Himself wears. I have an Irish made (leather) one that right now is shared because they are so hard to find. Have about five nylon ones I snagged from Horseloverz a couple years ago--horrible colours, but nylon dyes. :p Coveting a biothane one in white for the Blue Eyed Blonde(tm)

ROPE halters in pretty colours/designs. The Blue Eyed Blonde's(tm) eyes are actually light lavender. She has a PURPLE rope halter, with a silver-sparkly wrapped noseband, with swavrosky crystals that are the bronze/purple/green chaning colour ones. I cannot link to piccies here. It is my midlife crisis. I never had a Barbie. I'm making up for it by having my own Barbie's Dream Horse. :lol: Oh--and since the sparkly one isnt for everyday, she also has a mint/lavender rope halter for 'work.'

The Little Medicine Hat mare had blue eyes with black eye liner, I am trying to find the right copper wrap to match her copper medicine hat/freckles, for a black rope halter/sidepull.

There's more. :uhoh: But it wouldn't be prudent to post it all at once... :rolleyes:

SkipChange
May. 22, 2010, 05:12 PM
I'm with you pinto-- those bucklenose halters are nifty. Last summer when I was riding in England they seemed to be the primary halter of choice, wishing I had picked up some cute ones while I was there!

mvp
May. 22, 2010, 07:05 PM
Coreene-- on that Casino Colored mattes pad. Clearly... it was just a matter of time before someone ordered one.

tarheels-- embarrassed to say that I like the black-n-pink. Is that too '80? Too Barbie? Of course Barbie was invented to get us started on the Crack That Is Buying Tack.

And as to the in-hand bridle. The first one I ever bought (before I even owned a horse) was a super refined london colored cob size. $75 out of a little mobile store run out of some chick's heineous 6'6" two horse at a 3-day event. No way this thing had a market there. The cheeks are 1/4 or so wide. You read right on that A-raby dimension. But fancy stitched, doubled leather at the bit, the whole 9 yards as far as good bridle building goes.

And buckle nose halters? Really? Not into them. I can't even stand adjustable chins. Too much metal crap around the horse's face.

Denzel
May. 22, 2010, 07:07 PM
I love blingy tack...seriously, if it's sparkly, I must have it...clinchers, crystals, you name it, I love it...and I also love pink...luckily I'm primarily an eventer, with a second passion for the jumper ring, so I can indulge myself in my love of pink.

thus I give you...my black bridle with pink padding...AND pink sparkly browband...over the top, yes. rarely used, yes, but I will never get rid of it (plus, who else wants an O/S pink sparkle bridle...)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/?action=view&current=handsome-1.jpg

I also love beautiful hunter tack...strange because I do maybe 4 hunter shows per year (though I used to foxhunt and look forward to getting back into that). My husband has finally given in...and bought me brown der dau field boots for our anniversary. They arrived 2 days ago and I cannot wait to wear them in the show ring!

I'm pretty sure we must have been separated at birth. I love anything shiny, and I have a whole load of pink wardrobe for primary use on my mare, but now also used on the gelding since the mare is lame. This includes pink open fronts and ankles, pink rubber reins, pink saddle pad, cooler, polos, etc. My next goal is to get a PinkEquine bridle in brown/hot pink with fuschia crystals. Yumm!

I have to be honest here, and admit that despite being a poor student that only leases horses (parentals are not exactly on par re: buying a horse) I have a huge bridle addiction. As of now, I am up to a wide noseband Vespucci, a figure 8 Vespucci, a hunter Prestige, a wide noseband monocrown Red Barn and a really cool figure 8 made of buffalo leather that I bought in Romania.

On the pink topic, I wish so much that SmartPak would ship to Canada, I LOVE their SmartPink line, and would love for maresy dearest to have the blanket set. She does that the new Weatherbeeta Joules med weight with the polka dots that looks oh so adorable. Unfortunately, she destroyed the masta sheet that was blue/pink with daisies and made her look like a giant pony: http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/icey_princess12/062.jpg

On the note of clothes, I LOVE breeches, especially the Grand Prix Hamptons...I am proud to say that I own a pair in every color (even the pink, they actually look really cute!)

SkipChange
May. 22, 2010, 07:21 PM
Ok but you have to admit the buckle nose halters are nifty for those that like to leave the halter around the neck while they bridle. (I don't but some people do, and it was barn rules when I was in England). You just unbuckle the nose and it drops from their face but is still around their neck. And they are so easy if you need to put a halter on over your bridle (for whatever reason :lol:).

I think they look best on those 'cobby types' they had where I was. Their heads weren't very delicate/refined and the buckle did not overwhelm them.

I have no use for one on my horse as I lead him with a chain and I think the buckle would interfere with the chain across his nose.

mvp
May. 22, 2010, 07:27 PM
I'm pretty sure we must have been separated at birth....

I have to be honest here, and admit that despite being a poor student that only leases horses (parentals are not exactly on par re: buying a horse) I have a huge bridle addiction. As of now, I am up to a wide noseband Vespucci, a figure 8 Vespucci, a hunter Prestige, a wide noseband monocrown Red Barn and a really cool figure 8 made of buffalo leather that I bought in Romania.

No, *we* were separated at birth-- both from each other and The Right Parents. See my post above about putting the tack before the horse. But hold onto your hats for a weird story of Tack Buying and the Ways of the Universe:

So here I am, 8th grade, had a job since I was 10. I belong to a single mom working way hard for no money and deeply committed to making sure my need for horses doesn't bankrupt the family. There Will Be NO Owning/Leasing of Horses. If I can work and ride, then whatever. That's my problem.

Dad vaguely supportive but not with his wallet. But he does have friends with horses. Again, pretty vague.

I decide I'm going to buy my own saddle in which to take lessons on schoolies when I can earn enough to do any of that. With no help, I do that.

Then (THEN) not a month later, my Dad somehow dredges up a connection to friends with a little wannabe jumper operation within commuting distance. I go to work for them and learn to ride all over again, the right way. Original ill-fitting saddle gets sold for what I paid, I buy a new one and start a little exercise business.

Seriously. One month between saddle bought is deperation and the beginning of the rest of a much better life.

pintopiaffe
May. 22, 2010, 08:02 PM
well, that explains a LOT mvp! Where there is a will, there is a way. NEVER underestimate a horse crazy teenaged girl!

Buckle-nose halter is perfect for stallions. Even the best behaved ones... I have never once worried about my guy, but have been places where other people's mares got loose--and been glad to have the halter still securely around the neck. :p

And, my guys *are* mostly cobby types. The stallion has the prettiest head on the planet (no, I'm NOT predjudiced...) So it's a very cute look. Definitely a 'taste' I acquired from some early coffee table books with Irish horses. :cool:

Here's the chestnut rolled *snaffle* on the chetty sparkly guy... http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/pintopiaffe/RPSI%20day/nearsidelookingaway.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/pintopiaffe/RPSI%20day/braidsnbridle.jpg

The weymouth is a little finer, with a rolled french cavesson (now) but the same browband. I don't have any pictures from the one show where he wore it. :( Well, I *might*, on the disposable camera still in the truck... guess I ought to get that developed since it's almost a year old now! :eek:

Ohh--found one on DB's site of The Barbie's Dream Horse in her Sparkly Halter: http://rbefarm.com/Rainbows_End_Farm_2/Horses_Sold_files/skybaroquelook.jpg (with a dirty beet pulp nose! :lol: )

Coreene
May. 22, 2010, 08:34 PM
I got a pair of those Fuller Fillies brown herringbone breches, with brown full seat. And this tiny voice in my head keeps whispering "Brown boots, brown boots." I was merely sharing that. Please, do not enable.

Denzel
May. 22, 2010, 08:56 PM
I got a pair of those Fuller Fillies brown herringbone breches, with brown full seat. And this tiny voice in my head keeps whispering "Brown boots, brown boots." I was merely sharing that. Please, do not enable.

Oh but you couldn't allow yourself to wear those beautiful brown breeches with *gasp* BLACK boots would you?

I say this only because I gave in to temptation and got brown-top field boots cause they are sooooo pretty and they fit so well http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/icey_princess12/DSC07098.jpg

rideforthelaurels16
May. 22, 2010, 09:21 PM
tarheels-- embarrassed to say that I like the black-n-pink. Is that too '80? Too Barbie? Of course Barbie was invented to get us started on the Crack That Is Buying Tack.

My barn's colors are black and pink. ;) All the ribbons we hand out at our shows have pink center streamers, haha!

PintoPiaffe, if you continue to talk about, and post pictures of, your adorable horses, I will be forced to appear on your doorstep to kiss some pony noses. I'm only a half hour away - you HAVE been warned! ;)

*JumpIt*
May. 22, 2010, 09:29 PM
I'm pretty sure we must have been separated at birth. I love anything shiny, and I have a whole load of pink wardrobe for primary use on my mare, but now also used on the gelding since the mare is lame. This includes pink open fronts and ankles, pink rubber reins, pink saddle pad, cooler, polos, etc. My next goal is to get a PinkEquine bridle in brown/hot pink with fuschia crystals. Yumm!

On the pink topic, I wish so much that SmartPak would ship to Canada, I LOVE their SmartPink line, and would love for maresy dearest to have the blanket set. She does that the new Weatherbeeta Joules med weight with the polka dots that looks oh so adorable. Unfortunately, she destroyed the masta sheet that was blue/pink with daisies and made her look like a giant pony: http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/icey_princess12/062.jpg

On the note of clothes, I LOVE breeches, especially the Grand Prix Hamptons...I am proud to say that I own a pair in every color (even the pink, they actually look really cute!)

Seriously, what it the point of having a mare if you can't dress them up! :winkgrin:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1480037&l=5c92a2b30c&id=510596242

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3301487&l=857aa25815&id=510596242

I am a poor student, I can't remember that last time I bought something other than necessities. However I am drooling over everything on this thread (particularly the pink sparkly bridle) and making a list for when ever this education thing pays off. :lol:

pintopiaffe
May. 22, 2010, 09:57 PM
Ahhh... but real *men* can wear purple even better...

DMK
May. 22, 2010, 09:57 PM
Buckle Nose halters: Love them. But on somebody else's horse.

And do not be dissin' the Beval Wither pad! God knows I have spent $$$ over the years trying to move on to better, more beautiful fashionable pads, but not unlike the pad, my horse is a 90's model and he always makes me come back to that pad. But when you are a shark finned TB with a barrel meant to hold a leg in eq position and a bad back, it turns out it IS the perfect pad. But I shudder to think of it on my youngster.

Fun Size
May. 22, 2010, 11:15 PM
Love this thread!!

I have an issue with leather goods in general :) luckily, there is lots up at the barn I am at now to play with.

As of tomorrow though, I will have 3 saddles. The original flat as a pancake no nothing Crosby, the Crosby Centennial, and my CWD. Everything but the CWD is going up for sale to fund my "I need to go tack shopping" fund! :D

Coreene
May. 23, 2010, 12:59 AM
Denzel, the boots absolutely rock. :yes:

mvp
May. 23, 2010, 01:30 AM

Yeah, well....BROWN BOOTS. Loud enough for ya? If it's any consolation, I ant 'em bad and, of all the things I still want, I can picture buying these sooner or later. I even made up a rule/justification. They will be worn during weekdays at horse shows, just as they were meant for that mid-week hunt. Now I have to be a wealthy enough Ammy to hunt, or Pro enough to ride during the week days at shows.

Oh but you couldn't allow yourself to wear those beautiful brown breeches with *gasp* BLACK boots would you?

I say this only because I gave in to temptation and got brown-top field boots cause they are sooooo pretty and they fit so well http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/icey_princess12/DSC07098.jpg

You should post this pic on the other saddle fit for rider's thread. It looks good to me. Do you think so? And you seem to be cross-dressing here.

Buckle Nose halters: Love them. But on somebody else's horse.

And do not be dissin' the Beval Wither pad!

Have one. Check.

J. Turner
May. 23, 2010, 11:58 AM
I have two sets of amazing plaited reins, not braided, but plaited. Dark, soft english leather, I have no idea who the maker is. I got these at a going out of business sale at a tack shop about 20 years ago, and they still look and feel fabulous. I have a burning desire to acquire more plaited reins, but I have never been able to find anything comparable, the plaited reins I've seen on the market are crappy in comparison. I did see some Hadfields plaited reins on ebay a while back, but they were LOOONG. Longer than the reins that go with my O/S bridles, so I passed, but I still think about them. I love the plaited leadshanks, too, they feel so nice in your hands.

Last year I started collecting blingy western bridles. I have a Dale Chavez bridle with silver teardrop cheeks, and I actually did buy a QH to match it, but I didn't check the sizing first and his head was too small! :):) Anyway, oddly enough a bizarrely small cob size Edgewood I had tucked away fit him perfectly. I took that as a sign, and now he's learning to be a children's hunter, which is probably a good thing since I don't actually ride western.

1) I love plaited reins but haven't ever touched a pair of really nice ones that weren't well-loved by someone else and of uncertain origin.

2) I love the rawhide decorated Western bridles with the horse hair tassels, maybe a couple of silver beads!

hijumpin1
May. 23, 2010, 01:51 PM
I have several treasures. My first being a heirloom Jimmy's bridle, fancy stitched with old school Jimmy's plaited reins...it stays in my guest bed room! Favorite bridle of all time.

I have several old never rust made in England bits that are just beautifully designed. They are really old, and most of them are "train" stoppers so they are pretty much decorative items now.

I have an antique English fancy brass saddle rack I bought on ebay a few years ago. It has a great patina on it. I thought I would put it up in my horse room, just never got around to it. I'll probably end up selling it as I'm moving.

Coreene
May. 23, 2010, 02:51 PM
I will also confess to buying a single item and then, lo and behold, having to buy othwer things to make a matched set. Which is how I got the brown double (to go with jumping saddle I didn't need), the screaming bright yellow dressage sport boots (to go with a swallowtail pad I got 100 years ago) and the purple dressage pad (to go with a custom bling browband I won). And the silver etched stirrups to go with pimped western saddle. You know, because they're pretty. :yes:

pintopiaffe
May. 23, 2010, 04:51 PM
Hate me now, I HAVE brown boots. :p

But, they are a darker brown, I'd say almost true havanna. Not red toned. And they are soft, soft, soft. A friend gave them to me. She had scored them in the Old, Real State Line's final sale room years ago. They are double layered, but the outside leather is thick and soft, like a leather jacket. They are *supposed* to be for schooling, but they are so damn nice, I don't wear them all that often. :uhoh:

My truest, worst obcession--worse than bits (which is bad), even worse than saddle pads, (which is VERY bad.) is Ancient Passiers.

I have had a daily search on Ebay for four and a half years. I do weekly googles. I'm talking the brown, plain molded flap ones. The lighter brown the better. If I ever can afford to order a custom, it will be NEWMARKET. They don't make the PT's any more, but I'm told you can give them the S/N and have a custom made. Of course, not just *any* ancient passier will do. It has to be 18 or 18.5", and W or XW tree, VD flap please. :sigh: TWO in six years. And I've got three more horses who are completely different shapes who don't fit those. Of course.

The bad part is I've found a couple when I had no money to buy--and HATED that they sold before I could come up with fundage. Of course, naturally, when I've had fundage, none of the right size/tree. Murphy & all.

I *was* a treeless collector... One at a time, but I've had an Ansur, an SBS Flexion, and a Fhoenix. I've tried several cheap-from-the-UK no-namers. Tried a Hilason (first one was great but wrongs size, return one was crap) Had a Trekker Master Dressage. My win-the-lottery saddle will be a Kay Humphries. I think they are the second most beautiful saddle on the planet, after ancient passiers.

I'm also a girth snob... I'm too particular to have too many... My dream girth is a humane end, anatomical, with elastic in the middle. Nunn Finer has one sooooo close... but no elastic. For long girths, I *want* the anatomic one with humane ends & elastic inserts from Schneiders. (in the saddleseat section) just haven't been able to justify the cost though...

Lucassb
May. 23, 2010, 07:29 PM
Awwww, you guys made me nostalgic, so I dug out my old cordovan Dehners. Talk about oldies but goodies...

tarheelmd07
May. 23, 2010, 07:50 PM
I'm surprised the pink sparkly bridle has so many fans :) - glad to know there are others out there like me!

I'm also a girth snob... I'm too particular to have too many... My dream girth is a humane end, anatomical, with elastic in the middle. Nunn Finer has one sooooo close... but no elastic. For long girths, I *want* the anatomic one with humane ends & elastic inserts from Schneiders. (in the saddleseat section) just haven't been able to justify the cost though...

you know...if you like the nunn finer one, you could always contact the guys at bartville and see if they could make you one with elastic...just trying to enable

KristieBee
May. 23, 2010, 09:06 PM

Actually I was just being lazy... I had taken that photo a while ago to show a friend who asked about the trim, and just re-used it instead of breaking out the camera again. Happy to get other pics if you'd like them!!

Oh yes please. I have a real fondness for black on black details on tall boots - keeps that perfect, delicious balance I'm so fond of: the traditional with a twist of the unique. :)

pintopiaffe
May. 23, 2010, 09:13 PM
it occurs to me... this thread is a little bit like... um... tack porn.

:uhoh:

LucasB... those boots Are To Die For. I am shallow enough that even though I *have* brown boots, I covet THOSE kind of brown boots. :sigh:

Peggy
May. 24, 2010, 01:16 AM
I really felt myself in "need" of a nice leather lead this weekend. To lead my horse to the ring to do his jumper class. At a county-level show. In the 2'6" schooling jumpers. But since he doesn't wear a martingale, I figured I could just pull the reins over his head and lead him that way. He did look quite nice in his figure-8, hat and T-boots tho. Had their been a price for best dressed, or slowest, he would have won.

LeisaA
May. 24, 2010, 04:27 PM
Lucassb - those brown boots are gorgeous!

mvp
May. 24, 2010, 08:22 PM
Awwww, you guys made me nostalgic, so I dug out my old cordovan Dehners. Talk about oldies but goodies...

Thanks for the look-see. Want brown.

Hate me now, I HAVE brown boots. :p

But, they are a darker brown, I'd say almost true havanna. Not red toned. And they are soft, soft, soft. A friend gave them to me. She had scored them in the Old, Real State Line's final sale room years ago. They are double layered, but the outside leather is thick and soft, like a leather jacket. They are *supposed* to be for schooling, but they are so damn nice, I don't wear them all that often. :uhoh:

Soft like a jacket? True havana? Must See.

I really felt myself in "need" of a nice leather lead this weekend. To lead my horse to the ring to do his jumper class. At a county-level show. In the 2'6" schooling jumpers. But since he doesn't wear a martingale, I figured I could just pull the reins over his head and lead him that way. He did look quite nice in his figure-8, hat and T-boots tho. Had their been a price for best dressed, or slowest, he would have won.

Yeah-- I think I have done that kind of thing with the same kind of tack. In my more sober moments, I'm a little embarrassed.

Coreene
May. 25, 2010, 12:20 AM
So: black leather laced lead with brass shank? Where will I find this?

DMK
May. 25, 2010, 09:34 AM
Sigh... went to tack shop this weekend. I really planned to get the cheapie roma half pad, for realz! Yeah, THAT went to plan. :rolleyes: They did not have the cheapie roma pad. So I started fondling, I mean evaluating other half pads. To my everlasting credit, I did NOT buy the most expensive half pad (but only because the Mattes did feel heavier and there were no thinline pads). There is that. I did however, buy the fleeceworks half pad sans lifts/shims and whatever. I put it on last night 100% sure it would be yet another pad failure and the only real question was if I would still ride in it, rendering it unreturnable or not.

Hey, it actually fit, so all is (better) in my world. Except for my pocketbook, because I am really trying to stick to my budget, damnit!

mvp
May. 25, 2010, 10:19 AM
Coreene-- I'd start with Quilen's. But Lucassb can probably tell you exactly where to go.

And some guidance for all you Tack Junkies, we are only talking about Uppers here so far, neglecting Downers. You'll never get to the throne Elvis died on if you don't mix and match.

So I'll remind you to post you pics and stories of Downer Tack-- the stuff you bought and hate. The stuff you use but which is fugly. The Pontiac Aztec or AMC Pacer of tack. The stuff that makes you wonder if the designer got fired or how any retailer ever was talked into buying a slew of 'em. A lot of people must say "yes" before a piece of tack gets to you and me. so show me the surprising failures and affronts to humanity out there!

DMK
May. 25, 2010, 10:37 AM
My adorable GREEN w/GOLD!! trim saddle pad with pockets and adjustable breastplate. Two giant fashion fox paws. I also have a pair of hind ankle boots that are white professional choice boots. They are so beyond ugly. They were on sale (70% off) and I was SURE they would be GA Clay colored one ride out and match the chestnut perfectly. They are resisting my efforts, so now I am trying to keep them clean. I'm sure that will encourage them to be permanently stained.

Important lessons I have learned - Valena woolback boots up front? Stay on in the river. The same cannot be said for their hind boots. Expensive eskadron polos stay on in the river but not for long after. This is where the pockets in that saddle pad become important for more than just water and camera, but cheap ugly white PC boots refuse to part company with me.

Climbing up to the top of the red trail? Yes, it's time to admit chestplates serve a valuable purpose, just not in the ring!

And then of course there is my tacky schooling (Hadfields) bridle with the flash noseband loop re-purposed as a hairnet holder. We iz just Klassy with a K.

Renn/aissance
May. 25, 2010, 12:55 PM
Lucassb, if you post pictures of the full boot with the croc top, I will have to hurt you, because then I will require those boots for myself.

But I don't think I can stand not seeing them in their full glory.

I think the best solution is for you to post pictures and then start running. :D

Denzel
May. 25, 2010, 01:02 PM
So I'll remind you to post you pics and stories of Downer Tack-- the stuff you bought and hate. The stuff you use but which is fugly. The Pontiac Aztec or AMC Pacer of tack. The stuff that makes you wonder if the designer got fired or how any retailer ever was talked into buying a slew of 'em. A lot of people must say "yes" before a piece of tack gets to you and me. so show me the surprising failures and affronts to humanity out there!

Hey now, I drive a Pontiac Aztec! It's bright yellow to boot! Don't judge, my parents picked it! It is an 02, and I have driven the HELL out of it in an attempt to kill it and it just keeps on truckin! In it's defense, it is really easy to spot in a parking lot?

pintopiaffe
May. 26, 2010, 01:20 PM
EPIC FAIL: XW Ranch Saddle (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270583844442&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT)

I love it. It is GORGEOUS. And too damn big for me. Of course, I *knew* that, but it was a 'second' and so SUCH a deal. And it's so PRETTY. I love old timey high-back Ranch saddles. And DAMN the stirrup position is sooooo nice... :sigh:

EPIC FAIL: Attempt #4 at Ancient Passier (http://cgi.ebay.com/Passier-Olympia-18-Med-MW-Rare-safe-and-ready-ride-/270584643720?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f001a0088)

Got took hard on this one. Was listed as "Good" condition and useable. Arrived a MESS. It was easier to recondition and resell than to try to deal with the whole 'not as advertised' thing on Ebay. I was SO bummed because the flap is ideal for me. :cry: And of course, reselling isn't nearly as easy as it used to be.

FAIL: The purple Bar F galloping boots. They sure look nice, and the suede outer keeps brush from sticking, but they don't stay up. At. All. Useless. And of course, I modified the velcro straps to be single close, so can't resell 'em. I'll use them over standing wraps as needed... once ever decade or so... :uhoh:

Hm, I'm sure there are others. Thank GOD for Ebay in good days, usually I at least can make back what I spent. Sometimes (rarely) even a profit. :sigh:

Lucassb
May. 26, 2010, 02:03 PM
Mmmmkay. Y'all can stop the PM's now... here are some more boot pics. :winkgrin:

Coreene - the place to get the braided lead is indeed Quillin's. Happy shopping!

RugBug
May. 26, 2010, 02:10 PM

Heh...my vet uses one of these. I'm not a fan of brass clinchers, but the bridle is quite pretty on.

ponymom64
May. 26, 2010, 02:31 PM
S'okay - I was just on the Quillin's website and for all you Pink a holics - they have a pink leather halter on their main page....

mvp
May. 26, 2010, 02:46 PM
When are we going to talk about these? They are functional jewelry.

The story about jewelry goes that it's original point in Medieval times was to have a portable source of cash. You could trade your small but valuable trinket for food, shelter, protection as needed.

You might as well where your Visa card around your neck today.

But you *can* justify a nice belt as needed to hold the old jeans up. This is especially true for those beer-gut-plus-concave-butt cowboys.

No pics, but my momma has the most spectacular concha belt bought in Mexico when she was a hot young thing. The whole blingy bit of necessity must weigh a pound and then some. I love her, but I do keep a vulture's eye on that belt.

ponymom64
May. 26, 2010, 02:55 PM
I *do* love me a belt with a big ass buckle ;)

Lucassb
May. 26, 2010, 03:00 PM
When are we going to talk about these? They are functional jewelry.

The story about jewelry goes that it's original point in Medieval times was to have a portable source of cash. You could trade your small but valuable trinket for food, shelter, protection as needed.

You might as well where your Visa card around your neck today.

But you *can* justify a nice belt as needed to hold the old jeans up. This is especially true for those beer-gut-plus-concave-butt cowboys.

No pics, but my momma has the most spectacular concha belt bought in Mexico when she was a hot young thing. The whole blingy bit of necessity must weigh a pound and then some. I love her, but I do keep a vulture's eye on that belt.

Hey, you know the rule. Get that photo!

That said... I am about as bad with belts as I am with bridles. And I have a pretty extensive buckle collection.

Pics attached to set a good example for mvp.

pintopiaffe
May. 27, 2010, 02:58 AM
Yeah. Um, see, I don't wear ANYTHING that attracts attention to my waist.

At least not in civilian life. :no:

I envy those who do, no doubt... but no, bling does NOT belong there on me. :no: :cry:

Lucas... I think I just drooled on the desk here at work. I couldn't quite picture what they'd look like from the original photo... they are so... so... SO.

Just so.

:cool:

BAC
May. 27, 2010, 07:24 AM

That said... I am about as bad with belts as I am with bridles. And I have a pretty extensive buckle collection.

You've been holding out on me, I never guessed your addiction extended to belts. Those are gorgeous, especially the snakeskin and the diamond horseshoe, is that a Pinnell?

Lucassb
May. 27, 2010, 08:36 AM
You've been holding out on me, I never guessed your addiction extended to belts. Those are gorgeous, especially the snakeskin and the diamond horseshoe, is that a Pinnell?

Heh heh... welcome back, BAC! The snake and the diamond shoe are my favorites for sure. I wear them all the time. I only *wish* the black one was Pinnell; I absolutely l*st after his work but I refuse to spend that kind of $$$ on a belt until I am a lot thinner than I am now!!!

Lucassb
May. 27, 2010, 08:38 AM
Lucas... I think I just drooled on the desk here at work. I couldn't quite picture what they'd look like from the original photo... they are so... so... SO.

Just so.

:cool:

Aw, thanks. That's what I thought too.

I sold a really neat horse this past winter at WEF, and my rule is that every horse that I sell "buys" me a gift to remember them by. This nice young horse just happened to have great taste in field boots. :D

Indy100
May. 27, 2010, 08:42 AM
Lucassb - wow, you have amazing taste - those belts/buckles are gorgeous (and boots too)!!

ponymom64
May. 27, 2010, 08:55 AM

Funny - the DD and I were at Beval recently and there was a belt she saw and said "LB would love that belt" ;)

Lucassb
May. 27, 2010, 08:59 AM
Lucassb - wow, you have amazing taste - those belts/buckles are gorgeous (and boots too)!!

Awww, thanks Indy.

I blame my shopping habit on my horse-deprived childhood. :lol:

Funny - the DD and I were at Beval recently and there was a belt she saw and said "LB would love that belt" ;)

I do *love* your DD. :winkgrin: She totally gets it!!

MoonRiver5
May. 27, 2010, 09:50 AM
Those croco tipped boots are amazing. (And this thread is totally tack porn). But, I'm pretty sure I need to start riding WAY better before I can pull something like that off....

LulaBell
May. 27, 2010, 01:14 PM
Those croc-tipped field boots are absolutely porno! I've never seen ones quite like that...did you say they're DerDau? Absolutely droolworthy.

KristieBee
May. 27, 2010, 01:27 PM
Aw, thanks. That's what I thought too.

I sold a really neat horse this past winter at WEF, and my rule is that every horse that I sell "buys" me a gift to remember them by. This nice young horse just happened to have great taste in field boots. :D

what a fun rule. and what a *fabulous* choice!!! ;) they are to die for.

Lucassb
May. 27, 2010, 01:46 PM
Aw, thanks, guys.

I am *really* pleased with them, and they were pretty quick to break in, too. (They were REALLY tight to start with - I was worried!) But now they are super comfy.

And yes, they are Der Dau's. In years past I have always had Vogels and liked them a lot, but this time I wanted something a little different. And I just happened to be wandering through the Der Dau display at WEF when the vetting on that young horse was completed and the deal got closed... so I figured it was A Sign that I should have a pair. ;)

The neat thing about them is that believe it or not, they are pretty subtle. From a few feet away, you don't notice the croc at all - much less will anyone notice as you gallop by on your way to a fence. That was important to me because I do respect the tradition of the hunter ring and didn't want anything that would stand out too much. But everyone who has seen them up close seems to like them.

blackcat95
May. 27, 2010, 02:53 PM
All this tack is gorgeous!!!!

I admit to being a tack addict- I love bridles and leather halters. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) my budget can't take any more stretching, so no buying pretty padded halters and leads... :(

I also have an addiction to show shirts... if it's soft and pretty, I will buy it.

RugBug
May. 27, 2010, 03:06 PM
Foibles? Um how about the open front version of these (front boots) Crump boots (http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VTO&Product_Code=CLFB&Category_Code=HRSBT)

I wanted a cheapy boot 'til I could afford the EquiFit/CWD colloboration front boots. Such loveliness...and no longer available.

First time I tried to use the boots, my horse was lame. Like pretty decently lame. He'd been sound the day before. I was perplexed. Only thing that had changed was the boots. I took them off him and viola! sound horse. Back on, lame horse. :eek: Needless to say they never got used again. Thankfully it was only a $30 foible.

Lucassb
May. 27, 2010, 03:17 PM
Foibles? Um how about the open front version of these (front boots) Crump boots (http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VTO&Product_Code=CLFB&Category_Code=HRSBT)

I wanted a cheapy boot 'til I could afford the EquiFit/CWD colloboration front boots. Such loveliness...and no longer available.

First time I tried to use the boots, my horse was lame. Like pretty decently lame. He'd been sound the day before. I was perplexed. Only thing that had changed was the boots. I took them off him and viola! sound horse. Back on, lame horse. :eek: Needless to say they never got used again. Thankfully it was only a $30 foible.

You will be glad to know that CWD still offers those boots with the Equifit lining (although they don't have the CWD label.)

\http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=4628

I am sure your horse was just indicating a brand preference, and would be perfectly sound in the T boot Luxe's!

NorthFaceFarm
May. 27, 2010, 03:52 PM
I'm a horse boot junkie. If there's a good deal on something nice, its coming home with me even if I absolutely do not have an animal they will fit on. I have four sets of the leather open front and ankle boots that Dover had on sale for practically nothing and look/feel like $150 ones, every kind of T Boot, every kind of Eskadron boot, a couple of different sets of fleece lined numbers from Beval. And I'm going to buy the Pony T Boots soon just because they look really cute. No, I don't have a pony that needs T Boots or even a small horse that could need them.

http://www.equifit.net/images/products/full/PonyEXP.jpg

I don't know if it counts, but I also used to hoard pretty/unique dog leashes and collars from various shows, tack shops, etc. Rolled, beaded, fancy stitch, raised, square raised, braided, laced, plain, brass plate, silver plate, every kind of tag. I stopped collecting when I had to put my Min Pin down last year at the age of 6 :( and can't bring myself to use any of them on our new one. I want to get this http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=7034 or this http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=1571 for him, but I'm afraid if I get one I'll get a million.

doublesstable
May. 27, 2010, 04:15 PM
Oh I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread..... Tack junkie here. You all are as bad as I am.

I need to take a picture of my tack room..... I buy everything for the barn in Navy blue and silver.. so my barn looks fancy.

I purchased some pink breeches because they were my favorite brand ON SALE.. I figured I could school in them... then there was a "Pink show" comming up.. a friend bought me some "Pink" irons. I still ride in them because I love the feel of them... so were pink... pink brow band, I put pink stripes on my helmet...... (A fancy "gelding" wears pink just fine)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/15533_363315435057_744885057_999056.jpg

RugBug
May. 27, 2010, 04:22 PM
You will be glad to know that CWD still offers those boots with the Equifit lining (although they don't have the CWD label.)

\http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=4628

I am sure your horse was just indicating a brand preference, and would be perfectly sound in the T boot Luxe's!

I'm not sure what's different about them, but they just don't look like the ones I had drooled over. Maybe I've just fantasized about them too many times and made them out better than they really are but the last time I saw them in person (when they didn't have the CWD info) they were not the same...and not as nice. Because of that, I figured they changed leather suppliers. (and because CWD was marketing their own open fronts).

That's beside the point as Mr. Horse can't wear the T-Boots. The straps attach right where he intereferes and he can knock a strap off in 3 weeks. :eek: It's hard shell Eskadrons for him.

Maybe new horse will get some leather T-boots...when I strike it rich. :winkgrin:

Peggy
May. 27, 2010, 04:45 PM
I fondled the EquiFit leather boots over the weekend in the tack trailer at a show. They looked different than the ones in the link, but it may just be a matter of darker vs lighter leather. Then a barn mate got out her Antares leather boots and we all fondled those. :sigh:

I am one of The Unfortunates that still has eq boots of the dead sheep variety. They aren't as bad as some. I have contemplated shearing them so that no fleece sticks out the sides but there is still fleece between the boot and leg so the dang things fit.

SunBelle
May. 27, 2010, 08:15 PM
I know this thread is more about blingy/unique tack and collectibles, and not as much about an attachment to old tack, but I love my old Baker sheet.
I gave away a ridiculous amount of my first horse's belongings when I sold him, because the girl claimed not to be able to afford to buy them. I kept a few things, like his Baker sheet, and now use it as a throw on the sofa to wrap up in. It looks brand new after 15 years! I keep thinking I should cut off the buckles/straps and sew some kind of lining into it, but I love the idea that it could still be used on a horse of exactly the right size!

Lucassb
May. 27, 2010, 09:27 PM
I'm not sure what's different about them, but they just don't look like the ones I had drooled over. Maybe I've just fantasized about them too many times and made them out better than they really are but the last time I saw them in person (when they didn't have the CWD info) they were not the same...and not as nice. Because of that, I figured they changed leather suppliers. (and because CWD was marketing their own open fronts).

I know what you mean. I have a set of the original Luxe boots and they are lovely. The new ones are also really nice, but different. I believe that CWD is still the leather supplier, though.

I also have a pair of CWD open fronts & ankles for schooling, and love them: http://www.cwdsellier.com/?currentPage=Collection&family=GE (Scroll to GE03)

mvp
May. 27, 2010, 09:42 PM
I'm a horse boot junkie. ...
I don't know if it counts, but I also used to hoard pretty/unique dog leashes and collars from various shows, tack shops, etc. Rolled, beaded, fancy stitch, raised, square raised, braided, laced, plain, brass plate, silver plate, every kind of tag.

Horse boots! Haven't even talked about these yet. Yes, they are a fetish for many.

Of course you hoard dog equipment. The manufacturers know this.

I need to take a picture of my tack room..... I buy everything for the barn in Navy blue and silver.. so my barn looks fancy....

I purchased some pink breeches....
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/15533_363315435057_744885057_999056.jpg

Actually, I like 'em. And we haven't talked about barn colors, show set up equipment and the like. It's coming, I'm sure.

... I love my old Baker sheet.
I gave away a ridiculous amount of my first horse's belongings when I sold him, because the girl claimed not to be able to afford to buy them. I kept a few things, like his Baker sheet, and now use it as a throw on the sofa to wrap up in. It looks brand new after 15 years! I keep thinking I should cut off the buckles/straps and sew some kind of lining into it, but I love the idea that it could still be used on a horse of exactly the right size!

Of course you can talk about functional! IMO, a sofa throw is the best use for a Baker rug. I find them heavy and ill-fitting for the warmth they provide. Very 19th-century. But I know others adore them.... down to getting their SUVs, horse trailers and tack trunks.... their bathroooms... wallpapered in Baker plaid. Have at it.

And a reminder. Where's the fugly tack? That's part of this discussion, too. Sooner or later, every junkie will find him- or herself buying crap. It's a progressive disease and all.

EqTrainer
May. 27, 2010, 09:49 PM
My twin has superlative taste ;)

One of my clients bought a dark blue, padded in cobalt blue, dressage bridle today, just for fun. I will post pics of it when I get them!

Lucassb
May. 27, 2010, 09:55 PM
My twin has superlative taste ;)

One of my clients bought a dark blue, padded in cobalt blue, dressage bridle today, just for fun. I will post pics of it when I get them!

Aw, thanks, Twin. You've always set such a good example :)

Can't wait to see the bridle pics!

paint hunter
May. 28, 2010, 10:37 AM
Well, I don't have a picture of it, but several years ago I was 'inspired" to try a KL Select Red Barn bridle after hearing people on this board rave about how nice they are. Well, found one on e-bay because I love bargains. It was the biggest piece of ^%$^%$&$% I have ever seen. I must have bought one of the prototypes or something. It was advertised a newmarket in color. In actuality, it was a hideous painted orange that was impervious to any oil. The noseband was of a really funky design. Needless to say, it never went near my horse and ended up with a friend who runs a therapeutic riding program. She thinks it's gorgeous. Well, great friend, but apparently dissimilar taste in tack. I cringe when I see the horse wearing the bridle.

Like Lucassb, I am a tackaholic for nice tack. Don't know what I was thinking when I bought that bridle. Went back to trolling for Edgewood, AdeT, Hadfields, etc. Absolutely love my Hadfields bridle but they do run small. I also like my Dover Wellington (or was it the Saratoga model) and it looks great on my guy.

This board and thread is not good for us tackaholics as we enable each other. Keep at it! One can never have too many pieces of nice tack. Some people collect fine art, I consider a beautiful bridle a piece of art as well.

Hunter Mom
May. 28, 2010, 10:49 AM

Personally, I'm a ThinLine girl (use the comfort pad myself, but it's probably too thick) but we do have a rider at the barn who uses a Roma pad for her small junior. She's had it 2 years now and it still looks great.

Lucassb
May. 28, 2010, 12:44 PM
You know, it occurs to me that the other item we haven't yet considered is also jewelry-like: BITS.

I just took a pic of one of my faves for someone on another thread and was reminded of how pretty it is.

For your consideration:

doublesstable
May. 28, 2010, 03:02 PM
Enablers!! All of you......

Here is my brow band collection: (I made some of them)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/Horsetack007.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/Horsetack008.jpg

Here are my headstalls/bridles (yeah for two horses) and there are more in bridle bags:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/Horsetack005.jpg

I once got a lashing for putting a hackamore on an Edgewood bridle.. now it's on my Kieffer bridle. (I made the hackamore nose band....

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/Horsetack009.jpg

(I too love a nice bridle - I have a Pessoa, Edgewood, Arch de Truimp, Keiffer, and a few others but the one I like best is my Stubben it is really nice leather....

Here is my matchy-matchy fettish (navy blue barn colors):
I have bags, covers and tack trunks with name embrodered on everything...

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/Horsetack010.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/Horsetack006.jpg

Note - even a blue hose......
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/Horsetack004.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/Horsetack003.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/Horsetack002.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/Horsetack001.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/Horsetack011.jpg

Even a navy blue helmet (it was my first helmet 30 years ago)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/Horsetack012.jpg

So Yeah - - fetish... ("S")

RugBug
May. 28, 2010, 03:44 PM
Here is my matchy-matchy fettish (navy blue barn colors):
I have bags, covers and tack trunks with name embrodered on everything...

Oh, that reminds me...the bags. My colors are Navy and Burgundy with white piping. I don't care of Navy or Burgundy is the main color...that will depend on color of the horse the item is purchase for.

So I decide I'm going to fulfill a childhood dream and get the equipment bags in my colors with my monogram. I buy the saddle bag, the garment bag, the helmet bag, the bridle bag and the tote...planning on getting other items later. They come, they are pretty, BUT...

My helmet...or any modern day helmet WILL.NOT. fit in the helmet bag. :mad: Like, not even won't-zip doesn't fit. But won't-even-start-to-go-in doesn't fit. It's now my boot accessories (pulls, polish, extra spurs) case.

Not only that, but my saddle will not fit it in the saddle bag without the flaps rolling under. Double :mad::mad:. I can make it fit, but it's not good for my saddle and it certainly wont' fit any pads in with it.

I've been scared to get anything else.

pintopiaffe
May. 29, 2010, 03:38 AM
One can never have too many pieces of nice tack. Some people collect fine art, I consider a beautiful bridle a piece of art as well.

There is something very, very classy about a beautiful saddle, bridle (double, of course) carefully put up and artfully draped over the cantle, sitting on the back of a chair in the livingroom... <blissful sigh>

Before I had destructokitties, the saddle rack was literally part of the decor. Somehow it loses it's aesthetic appeal when you have to cover it with a heavyweight turnout rug to keep it from being clawed/scratched. :no: :sigh:

My latest fetish is for all things newmarket/chestnut/oakbark.

But I *don't* want them to darken. On the bright copper chetties, and especially on the Blue Eyed Blonde(tm) (perlino dun) I want CHESTNUT. Looks soooo yummy. There is a classical school somewhere... I cannot find the link any more, that has all perlino or cremello Lusos, and the tack is all light brown. Previously I had thought black looked better, but once I saw them in brown... <swoon>

Here are my headstalls/bridles (yeah for two horses) and there are more in bridle bags:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...rsetack005.jpg

DoubleS... I think I loff you...

I also have a 'thing' for not-quite-traditional, or, subtly unique. The SillyFilly, who is solid bay with a smattering of white hairs on her forehead and no other white, (vs. all the blingy pintos) WILL have this bridle someday: Understated but different (http://www.equus-libris.com/catalog//catalog/popup_image.php?pID=557&osCsid=72db0f0f127271949e0bb3d5219e5adf)

And the Colonial Spanish Blue Eyed Blonde(tm) will be masquerading as a Luso in THIS (http://www.portugalshop.com/See-more-images/Bridles/Portuguese-bridle-D.html) someday... but in light brown, of course. I LOVE the simple Portuguese stuff.

rocky213
May. 29, 2010, 07:02 PM
You tackaholics, all I can say is don't ever step foot into Bartville Harness !! I went there a couple of weeks ago, and I was there for hours !! I practically bought everything in the store. I am still lovingly looking (and fondling) all the leather goods I bought. Beautiful chestnut halter, triple stitched havana halter (I couldn't decide, so I bought them both !!), beautiful chestnut leather lead with real heavy duty brass snap, dressage double bridle with those super flexible soft rubber reins and crank noseband with the softest padding, draw reins that may never see a horse because they are soooo supple, extra leather reins, flash straps that have the leather guard. I think I need to go back and buy the havana martingale I have one already, but this is such nice, supple leather, I need another.

I just kept thinking that the Amish shopkeeper must have thought I was crazy when I was there for like 4 hours, just feeling the leather and buying everything. I think one of the 7 sins is greed, but I had to have 1 of everthing they sold at that shop. I don't care, I was greedy ! The problem with most leather goods is that top quality is expensive, but the problem with Bartville is that everything was extremely affordable, which made the problem even bigger.

pintopiaffe
May. 29, 2010, 08:36 PM
Bartville doesn't have a catalogue do they?

I hear SO MUCH about them.

Mali
May. 29, 2010, 09:08 PM
Bartville doesn't have a catalogue do they?

I hear SO MUCH about them.

Yes they do. In fact, I think they came out in April (or at least a few months back)...you can call them and they will mail one out to you (and put you on the mailing list for future catalogs).

rocky213
May. 29, 2010, 09:08 PM
Bartville does have a catalog. You have to either call them (between 8-8:15am), or mail them a few dollars and they will send you one. They have a new catalog that is pretty nice.

The address is:
Bartville Harness
1243 Noble Road
Christiana, PA 17509
(717)529-6992

pintopiaffe
May. 29, 2010, 09:29 PM
ooooohhhhhh.....

this could be very good...

Or very, VERY bad.

feather river
May. 30, 2010, 02:11 PM
this is a swag post for sure. way too many shop til you drop folks here, spending someone else's money.

Coreene
May. 30, 2010, 02:19 PM
Hate to burst to your bubble, but the money I spend on my tack is my own money. And thanks to my fellow enablers, Tuesday I'm ordering a black laced Quillin's lead with pretty brass shank. Tally ho!

DaisyHunter
May. 30, 2010, 04:11 PM
I shouldn't have opened this link - you all are enabling another unnecessary buying spree!

I'm already ordering from Tack Shack Ocala now!!! I want another halter and that lead shank.

I have unused (still tagged) stuff in my garage. I have very nice saddles I don't use but can't part with (in closets). I have bought tack when I did not have horses in my life.

I can step up to tackaholics anonymous to declare that yes, I have a problem :-) (I'm not quitting though! I'm helping to stimulate our U.S. economy with every dollar I spend).

I can't help it, I love this thread...all the more places to shop.

DaisyHunter
May. 30, 2010, 04:16 PM
Luv looking at the posted pics, now there's tack I'll covet! (like all those lovely browbands).

DaisyHunter
May. 30, 2010, 04:22 PM
Oh, I just saw the pic of the brown boots. Me want.

Lucassb
May. 30, 2010, 04:24 PM
Oh, I just saw the pic of the brown boots. Me want.

Have to say... the brown boots are among my favorites. If my horse gets sunbleached enough (he's a black but turns a nice seal brown in summer) I'm going to show in them this year.

doublesstable
May. 30, 2010, 05:20 PM
this is a swag post for sure. way too many shop til you drop folks here, spending someone else's money.

Someone elses money? Huh?

I know I pay enough taxes - even on the goods (horse tack) I buy.... so that tax money goes someplace. :lol: I think someone else is spending "MY" money!

I have been told I am good for the economy.. but let me say; My hubby and I work very hard, pay for our home, horses and our own kids.

I have had horses over 30 years and have aquired my things, love them, and enjoy them.

@ pintopiaffe - we could definatley have a fun day of shopping together... Ordering on line is great, but nothing like going to the tack shop, feeling and smelling those beautiful bridles... :yes:

rocky213
May. 30, 2010, 05:56 PM
Hahahahaha ... I wish it was someone else's money !!!

Although I have convinced my boss that I need a raise because the horsey needs a new wool blankey ... or I need to leave work early because my "4 legged child" has a doctors appointment !!

I have admitted my addiction though and started selling stuff that I don't use on ebay so I can BUY MORE STUFF !! :D I consider myself on the road to recovery

Lucassb
May. 30, 2010, 06:00 PM
I wish I could use someone else's money too!!! That would be awesome!!!

mvp
May. 30, 2010, 10:08 PM

Well, it worked for real estate. At least when the tack bubble bursts-- aka people realize that $4,500 is too much to pay for a foam flocked saddle that has leather a woman's Inverness can wear out-- at least the damage won't be quite so bad. Oh, wait, the newest Butet with a tree for WBs is $5,100. Too much, too late.

I shouldn't have opened this link - you all are enabling another unnecessary buying spree!

I'm already ordering from Tack Shack Ocala now!!! I want another halter and that lead shank.

I have unused (still tagged) stuff in my garage. I have very nice saddles I don't use but can't part with (in closets). I have bought tack when I did not have horses in my life.

I can step up to tackaholics anonymous to declare that yes, I have a problem :-) (I'm not quitting though! I'm helping to stimulate our U.S. economy with every dollar I spend).

I can't help it, I love this thread...all the more places to shop.

Holy crap! I can't believe you said that out load? But it takes one to know one. None of my stuff has tags on it.... only because you must oil new tack.

Luv looking at the posted pics, now there's tack I'll covet! (like all those lovely browbands).

I want to see (and want) the old style of beaded brow band-- patterns made with those little dlnky beads. Anyone have pics of those? Know where to get 'em? I think I made a few back in the day.

pintopiaffe
May. 30, 2010, 11:11 PM
jayne at txwarmbloods.com is making some of those kinds of browbands!

I thought you meant the old beaded ones like the green/white one I have, what we used to call 'beaded.' Like THIS (http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b4ce00b3127ccec93f0c03091000000010O08AatGLlk1Ytw e3nwM/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/)

Believe it or not, the big ol' cob I showed pony hunters on had one of these in black & white, on her newmarket bridle, with flat cavesson... ;)

Can I just share my newest obsession? Not available in the states yet. Bates new GP saddle. Flap would be PERFECT for me. Now, in my heart of hearts, I know that the gullet plates don't go wide enough, but durn, she's PURTY. (http://enterprise.horseland.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/n/e/new_b_ap_brn.jpg)

tarheelmd07
May. 31, 2010, 07:19 AM
I want to see (and want) the old style of beaded brow band-- patterns made with those little dlnky beads. Anyone have pics of those? Know where to get 'em? I think I made a few back in the day.

The lady who runs the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique website makes them - and they're beautiful! I have them on my dressage bridles - the big horse has the second design down (the triangle pattern) done in pink, black, and sliver - and the little horse has the fourth design down (with the pewter squares) with a pink stripe :)
http://mightythoroughbredclique.com/shopping.html

mvp
May. 31, 2010, 07:58 AM
http://mightythoroughbredclique.com/shopping.html

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Except I'm uses to the beads over a half-raised brow band. They stick out some and catch the light better. Old school and excellent.

Coreene
May. 31, 2010, 10:48 AM
I still have some of those reeeeeeeeally old German browbands with the triangles, remember those? Red and white, green and white, etc. Love 'em. Must unearth one and put it on one of the 1000000 doubles for old time sakes.

Lucassb
May. 31, 2010, 02:17 PM
Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Except I'm uses to the beads over a half-raised brow band. They stick out some and catch the light better. Old school and excellent.

Ooooooh yes... somewhere I have one of those. Haven't seen it in years but for a while that was all the rage, wasn't it? I had mine on a figure 8 for schooling at home... even back then my trainer would have had a heart attack seeing it in public.

Mozart
May. 31, 2010, 02:39 PM
Well, if I ever get my act together I will post pics of my leather Tanbark Cross Country boots. I bought them in Mass. in about 1992. Leather, neoprene lined. Back boots go all the way up to the hock.

I no longer event and cannot imagine taking it up again but god I love those boots. I should sell them but I can't bring myself to do it. Every so often I take them out of storage and just...hold them.

I also have Hermes exercise bandages. No use for them but I also take them out and look at them from time to time. They look so chic, sitting there all pristine in their orange Hermes box.

Now I realize I just made myself sound like a serial killer with "trophies" :o

DaisyHunter
May. 31, 2010, 04:29 PM
Hermes makes exercise bandages? I didn't know this! I've seen plenty of their saddles and other leather goods. I don't have anything from Hermes except (don't laugh) a few of their product boxes (which I luv). I keep them on a black bookcase since they are nice house accessories.

I just clicked on the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique link. No, shouldn't have done that! I just saw a collar that one of my goofball dogs would look fabulous wearing.

SunBelle
May. 31, 2010, 04:35 PM
Yes! Hermes makes exercise bandages, brushes, saddle soap and hoof picks. I'm a closet collecter.

Lucassb
May. 31, 2010, 06:45 PM
Yes! Hermes makes exercise bandages, brushes, saddle soap and hoof picks. I'm a closet collecter.

They also make really pretty bridles :)

DaisyHunter
May. 31, 2010, 07:46 PM
Oooo...I love the stitching on the browband of the Hermes bridle you have!!! I don't want to know how much that cost because Hermes is as retail priced as it gets (exclusive like Rolex). One could buy several Edgewood bridles for as much as I'd have to shell out to get an Hermes. I wouldn't part with that bridle you have, it's sooo nice. I visited the Hermes Paris store a few years back. I saw handbags (like their Kelly bag), bracelets, scarves, and so forth but I didn't think to look at tack even though I knew that Hermes crafts saddlery. I've had fun borrowing an Hermes cc saddle. The leather was beautifully supple. Ah, I am a tack addict who loves my own stuff as well as looking at what everybody else has too.

SunBelle
May. 31, 2010, 08:57 PM
Lucassb's bridle= Luscious!

pintopiaffe
May. 31, 2010, 08:59 PM
Now I realize I just made myself sound like a serial killer with "trophies"

There is NOTHING wrong with enjoying GOOD tack. Even when it's between horses at the moment...

NOTHING.

Otherwise, I'm a serial killer too... :uhoh:

JustABay
May. 31, 2010, 10:32 PM
Lucassb...You have THE coolest stuff. You win. :)

I would like to offer up an ugly, uncovetable piece of tack...

My dad went to Europe a few years back as his sister who still lived there was very ill. He left with a list and firm instructions from me to pick me up a bridle suitable for showing. I extolled the virtues of the fancy stitch, which is 'hot' and big black dressage bridles, which were 'not'. I went into great detail, showed him pictures, and at the end, gave my overwhelmed and bewildered father a pop quiz to ensure he had been listening. I anxiously awaited his return, and I am ashamed to admit, the first words out of my mouth when I picked him up at the airport were "well, what did you get me?". My wonderful, patient, loving father, bless him, was over the moon. "i got you exactly what you wanted...but BETTER!" smiles father, rummaging through his suitcase. "you're really going to love it, I know you will! I looked high and low, and when I saw it...I knew". My dad looked so proud of himself, I could barely keep the horror off my face when out from his suitcase he produced....

a green snaffle bridle with flash noseband, and matching web reins.

*dies*
:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

I mumbled some sort of thank you and gave him a hug....He really did try. The bridle has been stored in the bottom of my show trunk, never to see the light of day.

Now THAT, dear CoTHers, is an icky, unlovely piece of tack, and th irony is that I will NEVER part with it because my father bought it for me. I am a sentimental fool.:sadsmile:

Jumpers4life
May. 31, 2010, 10:37 PM
Do saddle pads count? I have two Eskadron pads that I love to death. I would buy them in every color but it's hard to justify $130 for a saddle pad. :eek: Here is my horse in one: we rock the dark saddle pad! (http://picasaweb.google.com/111062536310539898622/Vashon?authkey=Gv1sRgCNvkt_aL84THbQ#54776119991805 09698) :D

Lucassb, those boots are gorgeous. I'm not usually a tall boot person but WOW those are nice.

Lucassb
May. 31, 2010, 10:52 PM
Do saddle pads count? I have two Eskadron pads that I love to death. I would buy them in every color but it's hard to justify $130 for a saddle pad. :eek: Here is my horse in one: we rock the dark saddle pad! (http://picasaweb.google.com/111062536310539898622/Vashon?authkey=Gv1sRgCNvkt_aL84THbQ#54776119991805 09698) :D

Lucassb, those boots are gorgeous. I'm not usually a tall boot person but WOW those are nice.

Saddle pads definitely count... that one is FAB. (And the horse that's wearing it is darn nice, too, BTW.)

Thanks for the kind words about the boots. They're breaking in really nicely and are very comfy already!

Lucassb
May. 31, 2010, 10:53 PM
Lucassb...You have THE coolest stuff. You win. :)

I would like to offer up an ugly, uncovetable piece of tack...

My dad went to Europe a few years back as his sister who still lived there was very ill. He left with a list and firm instructions from me to pick me up a bridle suitable for showing. I extolled the virtues of the fancy stitch, which is 'hot' and big black dressage bridles, which were 'not'. I went into great detail, showed him pictures, and at the end, gave my overwhelmed and bewildered father a pop quiz to ensure he had been listening. I anxiously awaited his return, and I am ashamed to admit, the first words out of my mouth when I picked him up at the airport were "well, what did you get me?". My wonderful, patient, loving father, bless him, was over the moon. "i got you exactly what you wanted...but BETTER!" smiles father, rummaging through his suitcase. "you're really going to love it, I know you will! I looked high and low, and when I saw it...I knew". My dad looked so proud of himself, I could barely keep the horror off my face when out from his suitcase he produced....

a green snaffle bridle with flash noseband, and matching web reins.

*dies*
:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

I mumbled some sort of thank you and gave him a hug....He really did try. The bridle has been stored in the bottom of my show trunk, never to see the light of day.

Now THAT, dear CoTHers, is an icky, unlovely piece of tack, and th irony is that I will NEVER part with it because my father bought it for me. I am a sentimental fool.:sadsmile:

Awwwww. He tried hard!

You really must post pics.

doublesstable
Jun. 1, 2010, 12:15 PM

Just had to say - You and your horse look awesome! That's what I'm talking about... good jump, good ride and look good too.......

I really like the grey and black together... nice!!

doublesstable
Jun. 1, 2010, 12:19 PM
Awwwww. He tried hard!

You really must post pics.

Agree.... we need to see pics. Your Dad sounds awesome! :)

SunBelle
Jun. 1, 2010, 12:57 PM
JustABay, that is so sweet!

JustABay
Jun. 1, 2010, 10:31 PM
Awwwww, thanks guys!:) My dad is pretty awesome, I must agree :yes:

But green? He knows I hate green....Not sure what the thought process was behind that, I'm sure there were other (normal) colors of bridles, so why he picked a green one, I will never know :lol:

As soon as I can dig it out of my trunk, I will post pics!

pintopiaffe
Jun. 2, 2010, 10:25 AM
Sounds like the kind of thing my very-non-horsey Dad would do.

Very sweet. And of course, I'm sure you felt guilty for being disappointed too... :lol:

JustABay
Jun. 2, 2010, 10:28 AM
I felt kind of bad, he handed it to me and I don't think I said anything for a few seconds...I just did the mouth shape thing with a lot of "eerrmmm, aaaahhhh, it's...it's, uhhhhh" :lol:

Then I felt like a brat and gave him a hug and told him I loved it:)

It was a bit of a side show attraction for all my horsey friends though! No one believed I had a GREEN bridle!! LOL

monstrpony
Jun. 2, 2010, 11:23 AM

That would be the hunt breastplate that I got from Schneider's: black, and cheesy leather that gets goopy (only word to describe it) at the end of a ride when I take it off my sweaty horse. Goopy.

But it has adjustment buckles on both shoulders, so I don't have to untie the horse from the trailer to get it over his head (I also have a NH-style rope halter addiction, but NOT Parelli!!!), and it was, after all, only $33. But black. And goopy.

I do covet the Nunn Finer one ...

OTOH, I have my semi-rescue horse, and have committed to buying only inexpensive tack for him, so as not to encumber more $$ than I paid for the horse. He has a $29.95 sale bridle from Dover that, while not elegant, is very functional. I adore really good leather, which this is not, but it is ... functional.

Twigster
Jun. 2, 2010, 03:19 PM
Admittedly, these aren't mine. But they definitely belong with the bad, and in a thread whose title contains "Elvis". Found them on ebay while browsing for new boots.

My eyes, they bleed...

Pink Der Dau paddock boots (http://picasaweb.google.com/IrishAphrodite/Randoms#5478257896991475250)

blackcat95
Jun. 2, 2010, 04:24 PM
I know this sounds awkward but... I really like a good show crop. With a nice handle and good leather. And it's a serendipitous coincidence that this tack thread came up because I lost my old one and need suggestions...

woodstock
Jun. 3, 2010, 10:16 AM
Awwwww, thanks guys!:) My dad is pretty awesome, I must agree :yes:

But green? He knows I hate green....Not sure what the thought process was behind that, I'm sure there were other (normal) colors of bridles, so why he picked a green one, I will never know :lol:

As soon as I can dig it out of my trunk, I will post pics!

So, um, I think when I see your pictures I'm going to fall in love with it :) But, heck, I love anything green and I'm an eventer (we're supposed to like gaudy items of tack, right?!)

Jumpers4life
Jun. 3, 2010, 04:18 PM
Just had to say - You and your horse look awesome! That's what I'm talking about... good jump, good ride and look good too.......

I really like the grey and black together... nice!!

Thank you! I think it looks nice as well. Well, if I didn't I wouldn't wear it!:D

I am going to second (third? fourth?) a request for pics of the green bridle. Maybe your dad thought it would be a cool fashion statement? :)

JustABay
Jun. 6, 2010, 09:33 PM
THE GREEN BRIDLE!!!!!

Hope this works....

http://community.webshots.com/album/577886933jPpuUM

ENJOY!!:lol:

BAC
Jun. 7, 2010, 09:59 AM
Maybe its my computer, but except for picture #3, which looks moldy, the other pictures just look like dark havanna.

JustABay
Jun. 7, 2010, 10:31 AM
:dead:It's hard to get the lovely green color captured in picture form...I think the moldy look IS the actual color for what you're seeing,,,ANd from far away, it's looks dark, it's when you get close to it you can truly appreciate the green-ness of it :dead:

rideforthelaurels16
Jun. 7, 2010, 10:40 AM
Admittedly, these aren't mine. But they definitely belong with the bad, and in a thread whose title contains "Elvis". Found them on ebay while browsing for new boots.

My eyes, they bleed...

Pink Der Dau paddock boots (http://picasaweb.google.com/IrishAphrodite/Randoms#5478257896991475250)

These are even worse:
http://www.mountainhorseusa.net/spring_wicked_rider.html
*vom*

pintopiaffe
Jun. 11, 2010, 09:46 PM
This sickness... it goes on, even as we age...

You see, I had a birthday last week or so. And I found these on Ebay...
(did I mention I now have a SOLID BAY and a SOLID perlino? And *greys* in my future? ) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320537116360&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

And: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320542582581&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I am trying VERY hard to restrain myself from getting the harlequin/argyle-ish one she's got currently. You can bet this is one of my new favorite sellers.

:sigh:

I NEED a purple/green paisley pad. Then, I think, I will have enough pads.

For now.

Peggy
Jun. 11, 2010, 10:15 PM
These are even worse:
http://www.mountainhorseusa.net/spring_wicked_rider.html
*vom*OMG - It's Ed Hardy meets Mountain Horse.

pintopiaffe
Jun. 12, 2010, 12:32 AM
Had to get to work to see the Green Bridle.

I think I might actually be jealous... :uhoh:

the MH sneakers... :dead: :eek: :dead:

War Admiral
Jun. 12, 2010, 10:03 AM
I still have some of those reeeeeeeeally old German browbands with the triangles, remember those? Red and white, green and white, etc. Love 'em. Must unearth one and put it on one of the 1000000 doubles for old time sakes.

I was just thinking about those!! I used to have 'em back in the day. I had green/white, maroon/white and blue/white. I'd loff to have one now.

OK, here's my play for the sheer frivolity/can't possibly use it ANYWHERE but I waaaaant it award. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/goonrgrrl/Quattro/qhead800_600-1.jpg) :D

My 4 y/o Saddlebred was destined for the hunter ring before he even got off the trailer. Even if he were going to show as a Saddlebred, the matching cavessons are out out OUT of fashion in that discipline!

But I wanted a baby pic to see what he would have looked like as a show ASB. So he wore this for a grand total of one HOUR of his life! :lol:

(Though Noctis and I are considering putting the browband on his schooling bridle at home, just for yuks and because we can... :D)

NorthFaceFarm
Jun. 14, 2010, 03:18 PM
We have a bunch of regular thinline pads, and a couple of plain fleeceworks half pads, but I've been wanting this for quite awhile now. Finally pulled the trigger. Thanks Smartpak. I <3 pretty new things.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/rennen313/28468_737010148644_5307381_41641661.jpg

doublesstable
Jun. 14, 2010, 04:09 PM
We have a bunch of regular thinline pads, and a couple of plain fleeceworks half pads, but I've been wanting this for quite awhile now. Finally pulled the trigger. Thanks Smartpak. I <3 pretty new things.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/rennen313/28468_737010148644_5307381_41641661.jpg

OOOhhh so soft and fluffy even the dog wants that pad for a bed.....

Twigster
Jun. 14, 2010, 05:53 PM
Those mountain horse sneakers... oh dear god.

War Admiral- I think you should rock the matching cavesson set at home, all the time ;-) you know, because you can!

mvp
Jun. 14, 2010, 06:45 PM
Excellent posts on tack addiction taken to the lowest rock bottom, bitter end.

Those Mountain Horse abominations are the time you decided to scrape out the inside of your pipe and smoke whatever charred skank was in there. Desperate times and all.....

The saddle pads are like the gas-station ephedrine pills people buy. Wannabe something better but crappy and still bought simply because they are legal. Really, many people would consider those saddle pads a-ok.

JustABay
Jun. 14, 2010, 08:15 PM
Pintopiaffe, if it wasn't priceless due to sentimental value, I'd let you HAVE it! Unfortunately, I don't think I can ever get rid of it even though I can't stand it, and other than the color, it's a lovely, quality bridle. But I'm not sure it's jealousy worthy lol:lol: