PDA

View Full Version : HItchock Woods Info?

pnalley
May. 21, 2010, 09:56 AM
Anyone ridden there?

Is the footing mostly sand? Any hills, water crossongs etc. Please tell me what you can.

chicamuxen1
May. 21, 2010, 12:41 PM
Go to:
http://www.hitchcockwoods.org/enjoy/maps_and_navigation for a downloadable map. I rode there a few times years ago, great riding! Yes, sandy soil, some moderate hills, yes, stream crossings in a couple of places. So many trails it is easy to get turned around. Wonderful galloping places and jumps! You'll love it.

Bonnie

2bee
May. 21, 2010, 12:46 PM
Yep, pretty much all sand. Some hills, I've seen no water crossings of any consequence. Great place to ride, been there probably a dozen times. This (http://www.hitchcockwoods.org/media/map.pdf) map has always been avaliable at the trail head. According to my Garmin Nuvi, 2200 Dibble road will get you to the parking lot in B3 of that map.

mustangtrailrider
May. 21, 2010, 06:37 PM
The footing is mostly sand. However, in some places, the trails are very rooted and rocky! My mare was barefoot until a couple of weeks ago. After riding in the woods and having her tender and sore, I decided it was time. For an occassional ride, I wouldn't bother, but I am there several times a month.

There are hills and deep sand. There are hikers with dogs on leashes and loose. There are people with kids. There are people on horseback holding toddlers! Yes, holding a toddler....

You will find all kinds of sights there! It has been wonderful. It is best to ride early morning or late evening to avoid the deerflies....they are terrible otherwise!

Have fun!

pnalley
May. 21, 2010, 10:01 PM
OK. If there are any rocks at al I have to get the one mare we planned on taking shod. The gelding I ride already has shoes. I guess if I can't get the farrier out quick enough we'll have to take the other gelding that is shod.

The last time I took that mare toa place with " no rocks" we had to lead her back about a mile & a half. Better safe than sorry.

I have only been there once and it was years ago. We were competing in a CDE and we were not allowed to explore the trails prior to the event.

mustangtrailrider
May. 21, 2010, 10:30 PM
When are you planning on riding? A great place to go is the Aiken Gopher Tortoise preserve. Fun, all sand. Nobody.....

Have fun!

pnalley
May. 22, 2010, 04:56 PM
We are going to a friends farm to camp out Memorial Day weekend, she's in Windsor. Saturday we'll go to Hitchcock & Sunday to the Tortoise preserve

We will most likely head home Sunday.

mustangtrailrider
May. 23, 2010, 12:51 PM
Have a whole lotta fun. I like both places.....huge variety here within Aiken County. I live just down from Tortoise preserve.....have fun!

pnalley
May. 23, 2010, 09:16 PM
How shady are those trails?

We just got back from Boundary Waters. The trails were in good shape and we rode mostly in the shade. First time we have been there since the flood.

mustangtrailrider
May. 23, 2010, 09:26 PM
Hitchcock woods is mostly shade if you stay on the correct trails. In the Preserve, very few trails are in the shade.

Where is Boundary Waters? I haven't heard of it! Sounds like fun!

pnalley
May. 23, 2010, 11:27 PM
DOuglas County GA 166 & 92