PDA

View Full Version : Boot Drama continues..... ugh!

alteringwego
May. 20, 2010, 08:01 PM
Well still trying to find some non-custom boots that will fit but that seems to be a distant hope.
The problem seems to be that my calf is less shapely than most. All the boots I've tried fit over my ankle but stop right above as they begin up my calf. The boots are a bit too tapered for my fairly unshapely calves. If I get a wide calf then they are too wide up high and not quite wide enough lower.
Tried the Mountain Horse Supreme and I loved them. Leather and cut was gorgeous! Didn't fit over the calves.
Tried the Tredsteps Italian Calf and they too were nice, not as lovely as the Mountain Horse but nice enough. Was hoping that elastic gusset would allow for a custom fit without being custom. No luck.
Took the Tredsteps to the boot man today to see if he could work magic but he said he is unable to put in extra leather down low on the boot but could add up higher. Ugh :-(
Wanted to cry :-(
So I suppose I'm buying customs down the road. Going to persevere with my well worn Ariat Crowne Pull Ons.
But... I had a thought! Could I potentially find a pair of pull ons, which are more generous in the low calf/ankle area and have them customized and zipper added? Really wanting a nice tall spanish top.
Feel free to start recommending customs if you must. Love the look of the Sergio Grassos and Der Daus.

ImJumpin
May. 20, 2010, 08:23 PM
Did you try the Mountain Horses in wide?

Mayaty02
May. 20, 2010, 08:27 PM
well as you know I feel your pain :) I also loved the Tredsteps but had to return them, didn't even bother taking them to the bootman. Broke down and bought the Devon Aire Cambridge boot, but have no idea how they will fit nor how the leather is. I don't plan to show too often so I'm not really worried about the quality but I do need them to fit.

I did find some semi-custom Fabbri boots, http://www.jumpinconnection.com/Valentini.htm that are $550 which didn't seem too bad compared to custom, however the vendor was not good about responding to my questions. He told me what size I'd need and then basically stopped responding. Maybe they'd be more responsive to you.

I do think you can find a pair of pull ons, and install a zipper though I've been quote $175 for zippers, adding additional for elastic gusset. Seems like it's alot of money and alot of work but if you find the right boot to start with, maybe it's worth it.

pooh
May. 20, 2010, 09:45 PM
I have the same issue as I wear a size 2 boot but have a 14 inch calf. So I did the pull on boot and added zipper - works great!

eclipse
May. 21, 2010, 10:09 AM
I had the exact same issues, and found the Grand Prix Elites fit like a glove! Now I heard that they've started to make them again so you should give them a try! :D

clairdelune
May. 21, 2010, 10:24 AM
Have you tried Rectiligne ? they seem to run larger in the calf than any other boot I have tried, and they are so comfortable.

Mayaty02
May. 21, 2010, 10:59 AM
Have you tried Rectiligne ? they seem to run larger in the calf than any other boot I have tried, and they are so comfortable.

Where are you finding these boots? I googled them and come up with no vendors, just the website in Italy which doesn't work when you try to find vendors...

clairdelune
May. 21, 2010, 11:04 AM
Where are you finding these boots? I googled them and come up with no vendors, just the website in Italy which doesn't work when you try to find vendors...

I have found all my Rectiligne boots on ebay, both new and used.
But I have found an online store that sells them and will do my search for it and post.
The pair I have at the moment are from ebay, they fit great on my ankle but I have a problem with having hardly any calfs so they are a little big for my leg.

clairdelune
May. 21, 2010, 11:24 AM
http://www.midwestenglishtack.com/Rectiligne.html

Mayaty02
May. 21, 2010, 11:36 AM
The calf sizes on that chart are not wide at all...heck the XW is a 15.3 inch width, that's normal in many boots :)
Thanks for posting though, I was curious.

Does anyone know anything about Brogini field boots? They do seem to have a range of calf sizes and heights, and no I don't want to spend $500 but if they are the only things that fit...well you know the story :) anyone know anything about them?

alteringwego
May. 21, 2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Think I'll go down to the Farm House tomorrow and see if they have any Grand Prix's in stock and see how they work.

BeeHoney
May. 21, 2010, 10:07 PM
Why can't you buy a pair of stock boots with a wide calf and just have the leg taken in to your customized measurements? I have chicken calves, so I'm used to buying stock boots and having the legs reworked, and I've had good luck with this, much cheaper than doing full custom boots. The way I have done it is buy boots with the correct foot size and the correct height, and then have the calves customized. The key is that the calf of the original boot has to be too big, not too small. It's a lot easier for boots to be taken in rather than enlarged (unless you are doing some minor stretching).

alteringwego
May. 22, 2010, 06:49 AM
The calves are wide in the wrong place. I just tried the Trestone Wide Calf. Decent quality boot and thankfully with the elastic gussett I could BARELY get the zipper to pull up. I would really like the Mountain horses so I am tempted to try a wide calf with those and see if I could potentially have some work done on them. But then price wise I'm close to customs.... oh the boot drama!