PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Help! Retirement home for my old show horse? (Baltimore area)

KayPink
May. 20, 2010, 03:07 PM
So I just found out from my old trainer that my horse-of-a-lifetime (who I no longer own, but still love and visit) needs a place to go. He no longer has space in the active show barn for a walking-around-bareback-sound old OTTB.

I love this horse and have always told my old trainer to let me know if he ever needs a place for him to retire. Well now that time has come it seems! Does anyone have any suggestions for a really low-key barn in the Baltimore area (I work downtown and live out in the county) where I could field board him for fairly cheap? Doesn't have to be fancy, but preferably someplace that has a vet a farrier that come regularly and nice, friendly, caring staff/owners that would keep an eye on him as he lives out his days munching grass and getting loved on by me!!!

Thanks for your help! :) Feel free to PM me if you'd rather.

BeastieSlave
May. 20, 2010, 05:09 PM
I can't help you find a place, but kudos to you for really stepping up and taking him! So many people say they'll take their horse back, but how many really do when the time comes?
I hope you find the perfect place to make you and your old guy happy :)

dab
May. 21, 2010, 01:21 AM
USHJA maintains a list of retirement farms http://www.ushja.org/content/programs/retire_facil.aspx

KayPink
May. 21, 2010, 11:18 AM
Thank you! And so many thanks to all those who have PM'd me with ideas, it's very much appreciated!!

kfildes
May. 22, 2010, 09:34 AM
I don't live in the Baltimore area so I can't help you, but I just want to say GOOD FOR YOU for taking on his retirement!

KayPink
Sep. 13, 2010, 10:10 AM
Just wanted to share a very happy update :) I have found a farm nearby for my old guy! He'll be mine again and I can pamper and love him as he lives out the rest of his days. As of now, he's still rideable enough for some leisurely walks and trail rides, so I'm definitely looking forward to that this fall. I am beyond excited and so happy to have him back in my life!! I'm working with my former trainer this week to get him moved in to his new home :)

Thanks to everyone for your help and support!

vxf111
Sep. 13, 2010, 10:26 AM
Kudos for doing the right thing. Enjoy your horse!

REH
Sep. 13, 2010, 10:30 AM
I recently found one in Virginia. If you don't find one in MD that you like, let me know and I'll send you info on this one. I particularly liked it because two other people I know keep horses there so there are lots of sets of eyes coming and going.

jetsmom
Sep. 13, 2010, 11:30 AM
It's SO NICE to see someone stepping up and doing the right thing for their horse! Major props to you.

dauntless
Sep. 13, 2010, 01:24 PM
Congratulations :) I kept my beloved into his retirement, and it made me so happy to see him so happy. I'm so glad (and jealous actually) for you. Enjoy the beautiful fall weather from the back of your old horse.

BAC
Sep. 13, 2010, 02:14 PM
Its good to hear that you found a place for your old guy to live out his years, I hope you have lots of happy trail rides together.

BeastieSlave
Sep. 13, 2010, 03:13 PM
This update makes me happy :D

alliekat
Sep. 13, 2010, 03:19 PM
This makes me smile!!!