PDA

View Full Version : Topheavy Riders? Support needed.

KristieBee
May. 20, 2010, 03:41 PM
Sigh. So here's the deal. I'm a fairly smallish person with an unfortunately overendowed top half. I'm SO self conscious of looking top heavy on horseback! It's as if the powers that be forgot a tush and gave me a double dose of chest to make up for it. :no:

What are some maximum support, MINIMIZING sportsbras? I need the OPPOSITE of a wonderbra. Also, does anyone suffer from the same issues I do? I'm so self conscious. I just want to even out my proportions, and basically pretend they're not there! Has anyone discovered a sportsbra that offers solid support and minimizes the presence of chest?

alittlextra
May. 20, 2010, 04:02 PM
I feel your pain. Enell. Enell. Enell.

It isn't pretty, but it sure is effective.

Chaila
May. 20, 2010, 04:04 PM
I'll second Enell. It's like a corset. For your Boobs! I saw a video of me riding last week. Sitting trot, the boobs were still. Can't say the same for my belly! Wish they made one for bellies! :lol:

KristieBee
May. 20, 2010, 04:06 PM
I'll second Enell. It's like a corset. For your Boobs! I saw a video of me riding last week. Sitting trot, the boobs were still. Can't say the same for my belly! Wish they made one for bellies! :lol:

Oh my goodness! Hooray. Thank you so much ladies. I am so glad I finally posted about this. It's a real source of mortification for me. Will check out that brand right away.

Gratefully - KB :)

NorthFaceFarm
May. 20, 2010, 05:04 PM
I hate my Enell bra. The band is so wide, it digs into me. It also makes you sweat more in areas that you don't really want sweating excessively if you know what I mean. And it doesn't stay put. I'm constantly tugging on the back to keep it in place. Been looking for a better option for a year now with no luck though :(

TheGrayMare
May. 20, 2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks for posting your questions, I've been doing 1 size smaller sport's bras with a cami that has built in support under all of my cloths for riding to keep the girls inline. I looked up Enell and they look fabulous, just what I needed too!

blackcat95
May. 20, 2010, 05:06 PM

Corset?? :D

dani0303
May. 20, 2010, 05:18 PM
ENELL!

KB your boobs aren't big, silly. Mine sure are! Enell is the only bra that I can ride it. Sometimes I feel like I whack poor Revy in neck with my boobs over fences :lol:

KayPink
May. 20, 2010, 05:19 PM
The Enell is god-awful looking and not the most comfortable, but it is my saving grace for horse shows. My boobs DO. NOT. MOVE. Love it!

HorsRdr477
May. 20, 2010, 05:21 PM
I feel your pain girl! I am a size 6/8 with a 32F chest. It really sucks!

KristieBee
May. 20, 2010, 05:21 PM
ENELL!

KB your boobs aren't big, silly. Mine sure are! Enell is the only bra that I can ride it. Sometimes I feel like I whack poor Revy in neck with my boobs over fences :lol:

lol Dani thank you- but you've only seen pictures. I'm a good concealer. I'm 5'5, 33 inch hips, and a 34 D bra!!! (i finally recently caved in and purchased thos - instead of the ill fitting Cs i kept stubbornly buying) and even then they don't want to stay where they belong. :mad::mad::mad:

coymackerel
May. 20, 2010, 05:32 PM
Yep, get the Enell. Or the frog bra from Title 9 Sports. When you put the Enell on you will be certain you ordered at least 2 sizes too small, but just keep hooking the hooks and pulling the girls up into place. Once you're in and adjusted it will feel like it fits.

cbiscuit
May. 20, 2010, 06:03 PM
The Enell is really the only way to go. It is ugly and it has horrible seams that make a big and visible "m" on your chest all summer, but it works! Just don't show it to the normally-chested. They find it traumatizing. And DEFINITELY don't show it to any men. Hi honey, let me just undo the 50 hook and eye closures on this steel-reinforced contraption and - what's that? you don't want to anymore??

KristieBee
May. 20, 2010, 06:05 PM
The Enell is really the only way to go. It is ugly and it has horrible seams that make a big and visible "m" on your chest all summer, but it works! Just don't show it to the normally-chested. They find it traumatizing. And DEFINITELY don't show it to any men. Hi honey, let me just undo the 50 hook and eye closures on this steel-reinforced contraption and - what's that? you don't want to anymore??

LOL - I know - DH will be horrified. That's ok, the Hanes Perfect Panty boyshorts I'm addicted to (no show under breeches - so comfy - so fabulous) aren't that attractive either.

Post ride- I hide! :lol:

Sarabeth
May. 20, 2010, 07:34 PM
The Enell does work great - no doubt - but they're horrible in the summer. Once your chest gets hot underneath the bra, it never cools down. Be sure to bring a another shirt and bra and change into them immediately when you're done riding. You'll be so glad you did :cool:

Fun Size
May. 20, 2010, 07:49 PM
Spanx or the stuff from Title 9 :)

Coreene
May. 20, 2010, 07:50 PM
Wacoal Minimizer. Not the plain one.

Sacred_Petra
May. 20, 2010, 08:07 PM
Can I join this club too? I really want to try the Enell too, but they don't make my size, oustide of custom ordering, and my ego isn't quite up to custom ordering a bra just yet.

What I've found works well enough for me is to start out with a well fitting, full coverage, preferably molded cup, underwire bra. Then on top of that I wear the smallest sports bra I can possibly fit over my head. If I'm feeling especially bouncy on any given day, sometimes I'll wrap an ace bandage or two on top of that, but its not terribly comfortable then.

Glad to hear I'm not alone in the topheavy group though.

AliCat518
May. 20, 2010, 08:54 PM
I just checked out the Enell website--I think its so funny they show a couple ladies working out together in the bras(with no shirts). I couldnt imagine letting anyone else see me in that!

I had breast augmentation a few years ago and the Enell bra is basically what I had to wear for 6 WEEKS afterwards...during the summer! No tank tops, cute dresses, cute anything..it was all Tee's all the time. I have D's now and thought it was going to cause problems with my riding, however, I can ride in just a sports bra..thank goodness no more Enell for me. I know where you guys are coming from though!

alittlextra
May. 20, 2010, 09:27 PM
Yep, get the Enell. Or the frog bra from Title 9 Sports. When you put the Enell on you will be certain you ordered at least 2 sizes too small, but just keep hooking the hooks and pulling the girls up into place. Once you're in and adjusted it will feel like it fits.

That's a good point. I kind of have to do the bottom hook or two, shove the girls around where I want them to end up, and then finish hooking them in. There is nothing sexy about this bra. My boyfriend calls it my armored tank top. But.... again, its the only thing I have found that effectively reins in the DD ladies. I can ride, I can run, I can do anything I want in that bad boy!:D

lindsay.anne
May. 20, 2010, 09:57 PM
I gotta check out this Enell thing !

But what I do is double bra, regular bra + a tight sports bra. Keeps the girls in place as much as possible.

Across Sicily
May. 20, 2010, 10:00 PM
I discovered the Enell last summer. While it DOES definitely work to keep the girls in place, it is also possibly the most uncomfortable thing I have ever worn. After spending a bunch of money on it I can't bring myself to wear it. To be fair, I do have fibro, so the pain might be greater for me than for the average person. I do like that it squishes the girls down (my coats fit INFINITELY better when I wear it) and keeps them still, though.

When I'm not wearing that contraption it's an underwire bra with the smallest sports bra I can get on over that.. also not comfortable, and doesn't work nearly as well, but at least I can breathe ;)

lintesia
May. 20, 2010, 10:14 PM

My husband calls it the "Iron Maiden."

I wore them for years but then decided they were too uncomfortable for everyday, multi-hour wear.

The bra I now love for everyday riding is Bali #3562. It's an underwire minimizer, not expensive, holds up great, and provides more support than any sports bra I've tried (Enell aside). I wear Wacoal for non-riding, and the Bali is just as comfortable. (I range from a 34 D/DD to a 36 D/DD depending on the bra and my weight.)

Twigster
May. 20, 2010, 11:32 PM
Get to a Title Nine store and try on the Moving Comfort bras. 32G here, and I am currently wearing their 7 wonders bra, it's pretty fantastic for a sports bra. I had high hopes for the Enell, but it was just too uncomfortable

It's so irritating that manufacturers can't make a decent bra with a smaller band. Big chest does NOT equal big girl!!!

Hunter Mom
May. 20, 2010, 11:41 PM
If you're not an Enell fan, try the Moving Comfort bras. They even make one that looks like a "normal" bra but holds them very still. Great under show clothes!

KristieBee
May. 20, 2010, 11:48 PM
alicat - to each their own, but i can't believe you did this to yourself on purpose. lol my favorite comment to make about my chest is "i can't believe people BUY these!" :D

and megaditto to Twig- not sure why bra manufacturers tend to omit femininity when they make bras for big bazooms.

I ordered an Enell before I saw the other suggestions. Can anyone do a comparison between Enell and Title Nine?

Coreene, the Wacoals do look more feminine but look to be for every day use not so much for riding? Still, I am also very excited to add a minimizing bra to my daily wardrobe! Thank you.

What I've been doing lately, I second other's solutions of wearing an underwire and a champion sportsbra on top. Sometimes I wear two champion sportsbras, a small and a medium together - that's OK, but I definitely want to find something better.

Thanks for the suggestions and more than anything - thanks for the commiseration. ;) I feel so much less alone!

iechris
May. 21, 2010, 12:18 AM
Moving Comfort Fiona bra- keeping pulling the straps up and then velcro down. Enell only works for a certain chest to cup size ratio, one you go over that you don't quite fit into the Enell.

AliCat
May. 21, 2010, 12:34 AM
http://www.anita.com/us-en/Products,Anita_active,Sports_bras:5527_Sports-bra

This is what I ride in. I can't say they are perfectly still, but I am a 36G. It breathes, it doesn't have 72 hooks, it supports the ladies without flattening and smashing, it fastens in the back, doesn't ride up, has adjustable padded shoulder straps, and I do not come out the top or bottom of this bra. My back, neck, and shoulder pain stopped after my first ride in this. Also, my trainer noticed I finally could ride with my shoulders back instead of supporting myself, hunched forward, and squeezing with my elbows.

Notice they call it "extreme control" support. LOL.

I am a HUGE advocate of a real bra fitting. I do not mean at Victoria's Secret. I walked into a real store wearing a 38C, and now wear the 36G. I guess I was just a bit off in my estimates!

AliCat518
May. 21, 2010, 01:01 AM
alicat - to each their own, but i can't believe you did this to yourself on purpose. lol my favorite comment to make about my chest is "i can't believe people BUY these!" :D

Haha the grass is always greener on the other side!
Though I have to admit--when you buy them, theyre not QUITE as bouncy as the natural ones...so its the same great look, without the pain and agony!

Coreene
May. 21, 2010, 02:47 AM
Mine are Ds and I can sit the trot in the Wacoal without black eyes. The were featured on Oprah as Best Minimizers in the World, and though I am not a big Oprah fan, she was SO right with these. Minimizing sans Monobosom.

Sacred_Petra
May. 21, 2010, 03:13 AM
I am a HUGE advocate of a real bra fitting. I do not mean at Victoria's Secret. I walked into a real store wearing a 38C, and now wear the 36G. I guess I was just a bit off in my estimates!

Getting a correct bra fitting makes a huge difference, and it really has to be done by someone knowledgeable. I've been fitted badly a lot of times, and boy does it make a difference once you get fitted correctly.

equidae
May. 21, 2010, 04:15 AM
Mine are Ds and I can sit the trot in the Wacoal without black eyes. The were featured on Oprah as Best Minimizers in the World, and though I am not a big Oprah fan, she was SO right with these. Minimizing sans Monobosom.

I want to try these. I cannot stand how most sports bras squish them together into the 'monobosom' which gets super itchy, sweaty, and uncomfortable in the disgusting Florida summers..

pintopiaffe
May. 21, 2010, 04:35 AM
For those of you that the Enell is not comfy, two things..

One, are you SURE you are in the right size? Sizing up doesn't mean you'll bounce, but gives 'breathing' room.

Second, on Ebay you can find 'irregular' Enells with the band either over or under what is normal for that size...

I got one size up, with band 1" under for wearing to work... I love the shoulder support for my Fibro, but my riding ones are just a wee bit too snug to sit for a 10 hr shift in.

I'm keeping my eye out for my normal size, with the rib band up an inch or so, for water weight days. :p

I'm dying to try a Wacoal. Haven't been able to snag one on Ebay yet though. But I'm a DD at my skinniest... so Enell is it. If I could afford the 'lite' Enell I'd have a couple for work.

my_doran
May. 21, 2010, 06:22 AM
i am 5' tall and a 38/D...yikes.can you say bounce much.lol
i actually bought a no bounce bra from my local tack store.expensive but was worth it.was comfortable,but after a yr or so it started to loose its strength in the band after too many washes.

i now get sports bras from athletic stores that are made for the runners/gym goers.very good for the none or less bounce deal.range in price from 30 to 100 dollars(canadian) depending on breathable/cool max fabrics etc

Desert Topaz
May. 21, 2010, 10:25 AM
Every time I see a bra thread I feel the need to share this: I had a nasty fall a year ago and my ribs got bruised exactly where the underwire sat. I will not wear underwire bras when I ride now. It took those ribs forever to heal, and when you're as big as I am going without a bra is not an option.

When I was a D I was wearing two bras at a time until I bought the Bounceless Bra (http://www.titlenine.com/product/sports-bras-and-undies/medium-high-impact-sports-bras/313714.do?sortby=ourPicks) from Title Nine. It did a wonderful job until I grew bigger. Now I'm a 34 H and I'm back to wearing two bras, Bounceless underneath, sports bra on top.

I'm also big on proper fitting. The ladies at Nordstroms really know their stuff. Also (little known bit of info,) bras are only supposed to last 6 months to a year and then be replaced (depending on your care.) I know, it seems so wrong, but the elastic stretches.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 21, 2010, 10:53 AM
i am 5' tall and a 38/D...yikes.can you say bounce much.lol
i actually bought a no bounce bra from my local tack store.expensive but was worth it.was comfortable,but after a yr or so it started to loose its strength in the band after too many washes.

i now get sports bras from athletic stores that are made for the runners/gym goers.very good for the none or less bounce deal.range in price from 30 to 100 dollars(canadian) depending on breathable/cool max fabrics etc

I'm 5' tall and a 38DD, probably triple D if I ever got properly fitted. It's impossible to find nice regular ones in that size, nevermind a comfortable and useful one for riding :(.

I need something I can wear at least 8 hours a day, 6 days a week. Can't afford to buy that many high end bounceless numbers. Maybe I will try the regular wirefree + cheap sports bra combo soon.

Does anyone else find that the enell makes your back/shoulders hurt?

KristieBee
May. 21, 2010, 11:11 AM
http://www.anita.com/us-en/Products,Anita_active,Sports_bras:5527_Sports-bra

This is what I ride in. I can't say they are perfectly still, but I am a 36G. It breathes, it doesn't have 72 hooks, it supports the ladies without flattening and smashing...

oh - but I WANT the flattening and smashing! :lol: looking for these D's to be mistaken for the letter B. :winkgrin:

AliCat
May. 21, 2010, 11:25 AM
oh - but I WANT the flattening and smashing! :lol: looking for these D's to be mistaken for the letter B. :winkgrin:

Go to a real bra fitting and you will learn about why that is actually bad for you. Once you have a real supportive bra, you will get how it should feel, and realize that it isn't smushing them down that makes them move less.

http://www.myintimacy.com/

http://www.myintimacy.com/findastore.html

If there isn't a store near you, find one in there network. This is one of the places touted on "What NOT to Wear", and I have been so happy with the local fitter I found in their network.

AliCat
May. 21, 2010, 11:26 AM
I'm 5' tall and a 38DD, probably triple D if I ever got properly fitted. It's impossible to find nice regular ones in that size, nevermind a comfortable and useful one for riding :(.

I need something I can wear at least 8 hours a day, 6 days a week. Can't afford to buy that many high end bounceless numbers. Maybe I will try the regular wirefree + cheap sports bra combo soon.

Does anyone else find that the enell makes your back/shoulders hurt?
1. I bet you are wearing the wrong band size

2. If you shoulders and back hurt, it doesn't fit

Natalie A
May. 21, 2010, 11:32 AM
Just be warned that the Enell does not have adjustable shoulder straps, which I found to be an issue. Even in the smallest size they make I could not get it to stay on my shoulders at all (I'm really narrow with tiny shoulders). I like the Moving Comfort bras, and have also had good luck with some of the bras from Lululemon.

Linny
May. 21, 2010, 12:12 PM
Enell now has a cotton bra that may breathe better than the original, steel belted radial ones that I have.
It's the ugliest bra on earth but I love my Enells. I just make sure I always have a little travel size baby powder in my tack box or purse.;)

Unless you in a very established relationship, do not let the man in your life see the Enell bra. :eek:

Hunter/JumperMom
May. 21, 2010, 01:05 PM
Funny, I just went through my mail and found a SPANX catalog, and they make bras now, but they alos have 9 different types of tops, from what look like long underwear to cami's made out of the spanx material, and I bet that would help for minimal bounce and support!

Sacred_Petra
May. 21, 2010, 01:40 PM

For nice looking bras that aren't too expensive (at least comparatively) Victoria's Secret now carries up to a DDD in about 1/3 of their styles.

Have any of you tried riding in these? http://www.freyaactive.com/products/freya_active.aspx

They're pretty new, but they come in up the an H cup, and I know that Freya's normal bras are pretty amazing.

AliCat
May. 21, 2010, 01:59 PM
For nice looking bras that aren't too expensive (at least comparatively) Victoria's Secret now carries up to a DDD in about 1/3 of their styles.

Have any of you tried riding in these? http://www.freyaactive.com/products/freya_active.aspx

They're pretty new, but they come in up the an H cup, and I know that Freya's normal bras are pretty amazing.

I tried one on last week. It was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever strapped on my body. The 34 was so tight it hurt to breathe, and the 36 was baggy.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 21, 2010, 03:41 PM
1. I bet you are wearing the wrong band size

2. If you shoulders and back hurt, it doesn't fit

I've tried a couple of different sizes from Enell since my mom bought some too. Something that fits over the goods up front is so big in the back that its almost at my waist (Im super short waisted). It feels more like a vest than a bra. Short/small shoulders here too.

You know what really sucks? TS regular rise Supreme Hunters + that bra. They pretty much meet.

Sdhaurmsmom
May. 21, 2010, 03:42 PM
My husband calls it the "Iron Maiden."

I wore them for years but then decided they were too uncomfortable for everyday, multi-hour wear.

The bra I now love for everyday riding is Bali #3562. It's an underwire minimizer, not expensive, holds up great, and provides more support than any sports bra I've tried (Enell aside). I wear Wacoal for non-riding, and the Bali is just as comfortable. (I range from a 34 D/DD to a 36 D/DD depending on the bra and my weight.)

I agree that this Bali bra (Satin Tracings Minimizer) is the most supportive and tolerable of all the 'civilian' bras out there, but I still have to augment it with a second bra/sport bra to really strap the girls down.

The Enell works great, but is a torture device. I only use it for shows and clinics, and take it off as soon as I possibly can afterward. (For sweating, I find tucking a cloth hankie in the Canyon takes care of a lot of the problem!)

I seriously think about breast reduction, but am chicken that it will be painful...:confused:

NorthFaceFarm
May. 21, 2010, 03:43 PM
..the Canyon...

bahahahaha

touchstone-
May. 21, 2010, 05:31 PM
For a 34D, an Enell is probably overkill. I like this one--not quite so much corset going on, and it's tough enough for running: http://www.championusa.com/Champion/Products/Women-Champion/Women_ShopByCategory-Champion/Women_SportsBras-Champion/Women_SportsBras_MaximumSupport-Champion/CH1691.aspx

InWhyCee Redux
May. 21, 2010, 05:48 PM
lol Dani thank you- but you've only seen pictures. I'm a good concealer. I'm 5'5, 33 inch hips, and a 34 D bra!!! (i finally recently caved in and purchased thos - instead of the ill fitting Cs i kept stubbornly buying) and even then they don't want to stay where they belong. :mad::mad::mad:

I'm a 34D too! :yes: Try the Champion Powersleek — it works, it's on sale, and compared to the Enell it's gorgeous.

touchstone-
May. 21, 2010, 06:09 PM
I'm a 34D too! :yes: Try the Champion Powersleek — it works, it's on sale, and compared to the Enell it's gorgeous.

Oops. Just saw that my link doesn't work. But I too was recommending the Powersleek.

InWhyCee Redux
May. 21, 2010, 06:28 PM
Oops. Just saw that my link doesn't work. But I too was recommending the Powersleek.

Here's a current link.... why they won't make this bra in taupe or tan or nude so it won't show under white, I don't know. But, the coal grey is cute.

http://www.championusa.com/Champion/Products/Women-Champion/Women_ShopByCategory-Champion/Women_Bestsellers-Champion/CH1691.aspx

mjrtango93
May. 21, 2010, 06:30 PM
I seriously think about breast reduction, but am chicken that it will be painful...:confused:

I know 4 woman that have had reductions done, all various ages and sizes. Not one of them regrets it for a moment! Yeah the surgery isn't comfortable, but if you leave the wrap on like they say and do what you are supposed to the recovery is pretty short actually. One of the ladies I know rides and was back full swing within the month.

Linny
May. 21, 2010, 09:18 PM

Compared to the Enell, roadkill is gorgeous.

jewll27
May. 21, 2010, 09:21 PM

:lol::lol:

Phaxxton
May. 21, 2010, 09:32 PM

Too true! :lol: However, nothing beats the Enell.

I'm a 34DD and until I found the Enell, I rode in two bras. The Enell is the most supportive one I've tried - and I've tried many. If only they could make them without the uniboob design... but I'd rather rock a uniboob than jiggle.

Also, if you're in need of a great minimizer for every day, try the Wacoal minimizer. It's extremely comfortable and very supportive. Some posters here say they ride in them, but they aren't supportive enough for me for riding. They are, however, the most supportive every day bra I've tried.

Across Sicily
May. 22, 2010, 03:52 AM
Thanks to whoever posted the Intimacy link... I have been meaning to get a professional fitting! Maybe I can find a bra that doesn't suck. What a treat THAT would be! And lucky me, there's an "approved" location not ten minutes from my house...

DandyMatiz
May. 22, 2010, 01:46 PM
I know 4 woman that have had reductions done, all various ages and sizes. Not one of them regrets it for a moment! Yeah the surgery isn't comfortable, but if you leave the wrap on like they say and do what you are supposed to the recovery is pretty short actually. One of the ladies I know rides and was back full swing within the month.

i had mine done about 10 years ago. they may have changed techniques now.. but i wouldn't go through the surgery again. I still am a 36ddd, and had a lot taken off, but they didn't remove enough to deal with some of the issues i was having (back pain, etc), and once it's been done, the insurance wont pay to have another done.. so i'm screwed. I had a lot of problems wearing bras for almost a year afterward bc of the scars (scar tissue) plus as the nerves grow back... it's painful as heck.

Coreene
May. 22, 2010, 02:29 PM
Had it done by a plastic surgeon in Newport Beach, covered by insurance and the whole thing cost me a $20 co-pay. Took Tylenol, it didn't hurt and was the best thing I ever did. Everyone I know who had one feels the same, it's just fabulous. So sorry yours didn't work out.