PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Driver's License in PA

labalooo
May. 20, 2010, 01:46 PM
Hello Everyone! I'm new to the sport and new to this forum. Quick question - Do I need a commercial driver's license in the state of PA to operate my own truck and trailer to haul my daughter's pony to a horse show?

Thanks for your help.

bornfreenowexpensive
May. 20, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hello Everyone! I'm new to the sport and new to this forum. Quick question - Do I need a commercial driver's license in the state of PA to operate my own truck and trailer to haul my daughter's pony to a horse show?

Thanks for your help.

Depends on how big your truck and trailer are. You only need a CDL over a certain weight. I have a 3/4 ton truck and 3 horse GN trailer...and do not need a CDL. Most people I know do not have a CDL.

Where they will NAIL you in PA is on your registration. Make sure your register your truck for the maximum weight you can haul with it. My registration on my truck just cost me close to $400 whereas my car was $40. I know more than one person who have gotten tickets on this.

SonnysMom
May. 20, 2010, 01:58 PM
I live in PA and haul with a truck and trailer without a CDL.
However it is my understanding that the PA police are starting to crack down on those individuals that haul other peoples horses for money including gas money.
I have heard that they are also trying to say that going to a show makes you business since you might win something at the show- ribbons.

I have no intention of getting my CDL for my 2 horse trailer.

None of my friends that haul horses in 2/3/4 horse trailers in PA have their CDL.
Just make sure you have your fire extingisher and flares/safety triangles and Coggins in the trailer/truck when you haul.

bornfreenowexpensive
May. 20, 2010, 02:03 PM
I live in PA and haul with a truck and trailer without a CDL.
However it is my understanding that the PA police are starting to crack down on those individuals that haul other peoples horses for money including gas money.
I have heard that they are also trying to say that going to a show makes you business since you might win something at the show- ribbons.

I have no intention of getting my CDL for my 2 horse trailer.

None of my friends that haul horses in 2/3/4 horse trailers in PA have their CDL.
Just make sure you have your fire extingisher and flares/safety triangles and Coggins in the trailer/truck when you haul.

yes...and if you are pulled over, you are hauling your horse for a pleasure ride with some friends. Not going to a show;)....and all horses on the trailer belong to you.

But honestly, the "business" argument really shouldn't hold up if you fight it. If you it is your horse, and your registration is correct, and you have all the safety equipment, they will probably not bother you.

FAW
May. 20, 2010, 08:54 PM
If you are "for hire", you need a commerical license. PA sounds different from other states.

AliCat518
May. 20, 2010, 08:57 PM
Not positive about PA, but here, you dont need a CDL unless your trailer is huuuge. My trainer has a 4 horse with large tack room, and hers was 2' short of needing the CDL. If youre just hauling your daughters pony, im guessing your trailer isnt that ginormous!

Hauwse
May. 21, 2010, 07:07 AM
CDL's are required based on weight, passenger number, type of vehicle, trailer class, and hazardous materials.

For horse trailer purposes only weight and trailer class apply.

A Class A CDL is required for any combination of vehicles weighing 26,001 lbs or more pounds, and whatever being hauled more than 10,000 lbs, Class B CDL is the same combination weight with whatever being hauled less than 10,000 lbs.

It also applies to all double/triple trailers.

At this point in time north american truck manufactures do not make a 1 ton truck (3500) that can haul more than 20,000 lbs combined weight, and 4500 or 5500 are not produced that can haul over 26,000 lbs.

So you are safe regardless of what type of truck you drive, excluding a tractor (semi), and any trailer that pushed the weight over 26,000 lbs would be well over the maximum weight a truck could haul.

As well these are federal, not state laws, issued by the federal motor carrier safety administration.

I do not believe there is anything in the law concerning shipping commercially, but that may be based by state, so stick a not for hire sticker on your trailer and you should be good.

rocksolid
May. 21, 2010, 05:31 PM
The point about charging for hauling has to do more with ICC rights instead of a Commercial Driver's License. Years ago to haul horses you had to have ICC rights. Haulers without them were reported by the haulers who did. They got away from checking for them, but soon it may become a big problem. ICC rights are not limited by the GVW of your rig like a CDL. All haulers who charge for hauling are supposed to have them.