PDA

View Full Version : Travel Tack Trunk Recommendations

lohsela
May. 20, 2010, 01:10 PM
Anyone have any advice on what to buy for a trunk to keep at away shows? I don't want to spend $700... and definitely want something plastic and fairly waterproof. I read that the horsemen's pride trunk leaks... and I'm liking the sportote deluxe trunk... anyway, if anyone has anything they really like or really hate please let me know! thanks!

leilatigress
May. 20, 2010, 01:11 PM
Walmart and Target both have lovely plastic totes and some even come with wheels that work wonderful for tack trunks. I also waited until August when all the kiddos were off to school and picked up a foot locker for $50 that has a lock on it.

JumpWithPanache
May. 20, 2010, 01:20 PM
I know it's not terribly fancy, but I have one of the Stanley Job Chests that I picked up at Lowes for $50. Here's a link (http://www.lowes.com/pd_101939-82673-101939_4294936624+4294965640_44?productId=1205517&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Stanley_4294936624%204294965640_44_). It's 24 gallons which translates into plenty of space for my grooming bucket, tall enough for spray bottles, room for two saddle pads, full set of standing wraps, and my bridle to lay in. I have a full trunk size tray, not the little one shown in the link, that holds the littler stuff; extra bits, reins, ear puffs, hair nets, tack cleaners, tack hooks, snaps, twine, etc. The trunk is light enough that I can very easily roll it anywhere and lift it into my trailer. It's heavy enough though that I can pull the handle out a bit and put my saddle on it in front of stalls. I'm thinking that I can get a nice cover made for it and probably spend more than I did for the trunk, but at least I'd fit in pretty well at the shows and no one would be any wiser to my cheap little plastic trunk!

TrakeGirl
May. 20, 2010, 01:39 PM
Just my two cents - but I bought a Sportote Deluxe about 8 years ago and I have not been terribly happy about how it has held up. The plastic seems sturdy at first, but the sides of mine bowed over time - and now it is impossible to get the lid to close squarely so you can lock it as the side is bowed out way past where the latches would meet up. It has also faded something awful.

When I moved barns - everyone there has Dan's Duralite tack trunks.

http://www.dans-saddlery.com/3.0/tack-trunks.htm

They are also plastic. I like the look and feel of them MUCH better than the Sportote. They don't bow AT ALL and they are still looking new even though many of them have had them for 5+ years. They also fade some, but do not seem as bad. If I were buying a plastic "official" tack trunk, I would go with the Duralite one and keep it covered with a blanket to prevent fading. It comes with a nice sliding tray as well as a grooming tote if I remember correctly.

If you want wheels - looks like you can purchase them for the trunk, but they look a little funky. I just bought a furniture dolly thing (a square covered in carpet with heavy duty wheels) that I plop my trunk down onto and I push it to where it needs to go. Also keeps it elevated in case it rains and the ground turns into a muddy mess.

Mini_Me
May. 20, 2010, 01:41 PM
I'll second the Stanley's. We've got a whole barn full of them here!

BeastieSlave
May. 20, 2010, 01:55 PM
Love our Stanley's! I don't think they would be waterproof if left out in real weather, but they've been just fine for us.

STA
May. 20, 2010, 02:13 PM
I just returned from Old Salem Horse Show, there is a company at the show that has travel trunks. They are black, have wheels and a handle similar to carry-ons for flying. They can be made to any size and configuration in the interior. I am not sure of the price, but I think it might be in the 700-800 price range, sorry I know you said you did not want to spend that amount. Also, they are water resistent. The company is Georgetown Stable Outfitters - GSO.

I wish I could buy a couple.

MoonRiver5
May. 21, 2010, 01:17 PM
Love the Stanley's idea -- I am going to get one and get a cover made as well!!

Mali
May. 21, 2010, 10:38 PM
Love our Stanley's! I don't think they would be waterproof if left out in real weather, but they've been just fine for us.

Wrong - they are exremely waterproof! Mine sits outside in every season except winter. We've had inches and inches of rain since March, and not a drop of water is inside! I'm always careful to make sure both front latches are latched, but don't have any reservations about letting it sit out.

Hint: I also put (2) of those tap light thingys inside and they work great also. Helps me find those little things that inevitably gets buried on the bottom.

see u at x
May. 21, 2010, 11:51 PM
My only issue with the Stanley one that I have is that the latches rusted pretty badly and one of them broke, even though the trunk has been stored inside the entire time that I've had it. Otherwise it does work pretty well for a portable tack trunk.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
May. 21, 2010, 11:56 PM
For what it's worth, I have 2 of the Dan's duralite trunks. I have 2 because the first one I got faded SO BADLY that it turned hazy orange after only 6 months- was originally bright red. Since they advertised it as weather resistant, I called the company and without any question, they sent me a brand new trunk.

Low quality product but handled well from the manufacturer's end.

ImJumpin
May. 22, 2010, 01:23 AM
I'll back up the Stanley. LOVE it for a travel trunk, and my cover fits right over it and you can't tell it isn't a fancy trunk at all. Even stuffed full, including holding my saddle and boots, I can pull it around with ease (even through mud) and load it up the ramp on the trailer fine.

lesgarcons
May. 22, 2010, 02:16 AM
This thread comes at the perfect time for me, since I need to get a trunk ASAP. Will the regular Dan's hold a saddle, or do you need to buy the Dan's Plus?

*Liz*
May. 22, 2010, 03:15 AM
Okay, they're a little on the pricey-side (fwiw, I got mine many years ago when they were under $500) but I LOVE my Diamond Tack Trunk. The huge plastic handles and wheels are the best, they roll super easily even through thick sand and mud, and I can load it in and out of the trailer by myself (and I'm a bit of a waif.)

Here's a blurb from a seller of Diamond Trunks:
"Diamond Tack Trunks leave expensive, unwieldy and easily damaged wooden tack trunks in the dust! Unlike metal or wooden tack boxes, our wheeled and weatherproof storage units:

•Feature thick, rounded edges that won't snag breeches or blankets, or scrape shins;
•Never rust or rot;
•Are perfectly portable, even making a strong and comfortable bench;
•Will not splinter by an accidental drop or be damaged by a horse's kick. "

My only complaint persay is that it was left in front of various horses' stalls over the years and has been chewed on a bit, but that would be my fault, not the tack box's ;)

jaslyn1701
May. 16, 2011, 06:15 AM
Our barn has lots of the Stanley trunks - we all love them. The only downside is that they are all keyed alike. Course, that's not a down if somebody forgets their keys......

justathought
May. 16, 2011, 10:34 AM
Another vote for the Stanley's... if you want a separate lock, the small combination luggage lock works quite well fitting in the closing in the middle... With a cover (which I made myself) you cannot tell that this is not an expensive trunk. We've had ours 5+ years and except for getting a bit dusty they look brand new.

Xctrygirl
May. 16, 2011, 12:10 PM
LOVE the stanleys...

Used them for our traveling race horses and it made life MUCH easier.

I personally ahve the older rubbermaid trunks (Green and tan) and they're still going strong some 14 years after I bought them. (The ones with latches, not just the snap on tops)

~Emily

gusbabe
May. 16, 2011, 01:16 PM
Any suggestions on where to get a cover for the Stanley's?
TIA!

EAY
May. 16, 2011, 01:23 PM
I have a Stanely trunk and got a Smartpak cover for it.