PDA

View Full Version : Tied in below the knee

pictureit
May. 20, 2010, 11:53 AM
I have found a gorgeous, sweet OTTB that I am considering purchasing. However, he is tied in below the knee. I have never had a horse with this flaw and always understood it could effect soundness for jumping. I would use this horse as a hunter, probably nothing over 3'. This is horse is otherwise absolutely perfect. How concerned should I be?

doublesstable
May. 20, 2010, 12:26 PM
post pics if you can... but saying that; I have a horse that is tied in - - and he does a great job.... I have not had any problems due to this flaw....

JB
May. 20, 2010, 02:10 PM
It's going to depend on the degree, as well as the rest of him.

Ridesrealfast
May. 20, 2010, 09:46 PM
Cut out under the knee is a structural weakness that may cause the tendons behind the leg to curve around within the knee by the muscles above. Pictures would be helpful to see the severity. If I was thinking of a purchase I would want to watch the horse trot in a straight line A LOT. If he stabbed the ground or knee slapped and when riding him he felt at all odd I would pass. Sometimes if they have great feet and angles it makes up for the knee.

doublesstable
May. 21, 2010, 03:31 AM
This is the only video I have of my horse moving. Again - tied in behind the knee... and he moves well.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/th_MOV00863.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/?action=view&current=MOV00863.flv)

Here is a conformation pix - note the tied in behind the knee. If the horse you are looking at is similar to this horse; I wouldn't worry about it...

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/buddycloudy/Buddy3302010007.jpg

So depending on how the horse moves etc. not too big of an issue. I see a lot of TB's with this....

findeight
May. 21, 2010, 10:40 AM
Think of the leg as a pillar or column with 2 halves joined at the knee. If they line up? It provides better support. If they don't, it is just like that pillar and not as strong.

But it might be stong enough for what you want to do. That we cannot know without seeing the horse.

It is a weak point and if he raced on it? I'd probably want the vet to give it a good look and take some pictures. Since the support below the knee is weaker, it sometimes puts extra pressure on the knee and tendons that support it.

Some go forever with this and stay sound. Others are heartbreakers and never can do what they were bought for.

Post some pictures.

pictureit
May. 21, 2010, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the advice! Had previously only watched him loose in a turnout. Today got to see him trot undersaddle. Definetly off in the front. Lightly raced and was just too slow, so I wasn't expecting him to look off or have soundness issues. It was very subtle, but I could see it. He's lovely, but not going to pursue him.

mortebella
May. 23, 2010, 04:21 PM
Or is it optical illusion? The horse posted above looks like an illusion to me too, so obviously I got eye trouble. :lol:

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1838%3Arun-royal-rain&catid=41%3An-cal-trainer-listings&Itemid=1

JB
May. 23, 2010, 04:27 PM
If that horse is, it's very, very slight, but I don't think he is.

mortebella
May. 23, 2010, 05:09 PM
Awesome! I kept going back and forth on that - sometimes when the back of the knee has a real steep angle, I think it makes them look tied in.

event3
May. 25, 2010, 02:25 PM
I'm kind of in the same position as pictureit was... I'm looking at buying a 4 yr old 16.2 h OTTB as an event prospect. It looks like he's only tied in on one knee. Are the consequences any worse having it in only one knee while the other seems to be ok? Also, does anyone know what Ridesrealfast meant by knee slapped? Thank you!

eqsiu
May. 25, 2010, 02:41 PM
Does the horse have furry/chunky fetlocks? Sometimes jewelry from the track or feathering can make a horse look more tied in that he is.

Anyway, unless it's severe I haven't found it to be a problem in lower level horses.

findeight
May. 25, 2010, 05:13 PM
...It looks like he's only tied in on one knee. Are the consequences any worse having it in only one knee while the other seems to be ok? Also, does anyone know what Ridesrealfast meant by knee slapped? Thank you!

OK, one knee tied in would be better then both knees tied in. Although it is better if everything matches, I can't see where two legs with structural weakness would be better then one.

The knee slapping refers to a fault in the way they move the leg, sort of slap it down instead of placing it due to the deviation in angle that limits flexibility. In that case, I might want both legs to match rather then one slappy and one normal (sounds like a miserable ride though).

Again, some horses can work and stay sound with some variation on "correct" legs. Including tied in below the knee. But it is certainly not something obvious you see in upper level horses that go over fences in regular programs.

I would not necessarily turn one down IF it is slight, horse had been in a regular program jumping the height I wanted and I had a clean PPE with pictures.

Cannot recommend buying an unoproven, untried over fences youngster never in a regular jumping program with any question about the front legs that land all that extra weight.