PDA

View Full Version : Pine-Sol for ticks, flies and gnats?

mtngirl
May. 20, 2010, 12:00 AM
I'd never heard of this. Was trail riding and in the parking lot suddenly was overwhelmed with the smell. Person at the trailer next to me was spraying their horse and I laughingly commented that it smelled like Pine-Sol...to which they replied "It is! Best stuff you can use for gnats, flies and ticks. Hell of a lot cheaper that that fly spray stuff at the tack stores!"

Evidently this person uses it straight, does not dilute it and has been using it for years. I would think it would be very irritating to the horse's skin etc.

I've heard of using Listerine...but not Pine-Sol. I mean...that's what I use to clean my floors and toilets!

jeano
May. 20, 2010, 07:21 AM
well, I know of a fellow around here, leader in a sense of the redneck trail riding community, who swears by POURING KEROSENE in horse's ears for ticks or God knows what.

Pine oil is an eye irritant, and my own bottle of pine cleaner warns to wear gloves if you have sensitive skin, but I dont think its especially toxic. Many "natural" or botanical fly repellants are made from stinky plant oils so pine could work, but I'd spot test it first and dilute it quite a bit if I were going to try this trick.

AnotherRound
May. 20, 2010, 07:58 AM
From what I read you have to use the origianl formulation which is 8% pine oil, so personally I wouldn't feel the need to dilute it. ther other ingredients are petrolium based and alcohols, which are described as surfactants, which is what soap is. Personally, if I wanted the pine oil, I'd try to find it and make up my own formulation of some kind of fly spray. I don't know if the other ingredients add to the effiveness or not. Its an interesting idea, though.

Ghazzu
May. 20, 2010, 10:55 AM
Back in the day, the TB trainer I worked for used a dash of pine oil in a 5 gallon bucket of water to wash the horses off after they worked in the morning.

sublimequine
May. 20, 2010, 11:11 AM
I used to use a homemade fly spray that consisted of..

1/3 water
1/3 vinegar
1/3 Pine Oil (pine scent only, lemon didn't work)

It worked pretty well, and my mare who is allergic to like half of the fly sprays I've bought in stores for her, never had a problem with it.

Now I have switched to a spray with simply vinegar, citronella and eucalyptus oil. It's a bit cheaper than the pine sol concoction. :)

FatPalomino
May. 20, 2010, 12:14 PM
I used to use a homemade fly spray that consisted of..

1/3 water
1/3 vinegar
1/3 Pine Oil (pine scent only, lemon didn't work)

I think instead of water I use 1/3 skin so soft. Add some citronella for a better smell. It DOES work well. Our old guy doesn't like traditional fly sprays, and this is a lot cheaper :) I'll even put it in a big sprayer and spray the stall walls and such. Smells better than the traditional fly spray, too.

sublimequine
May. 20, 2010, 12:16 PM
I think instead of water I use 1/3 skin so soft. Add some citronella for a better smell. It DOES work well. Our old guy doesn't like traditional fly sprays, and this is a lot cheaper :) I'll even put it in a big sprayer and spray the stall walls and such. Smells better than the traditional fly spray, too.

Yeah I've used a splash of SSS before, but it ups the price and is a pain to buy since it's not at Walmart or anything.

Cherry
May. 20, 2010, 04:03 PM
Pine-Sol can take the finish off of certain surfaces if you use too much :eek: --don't think I'd be using it on a horse, if I loved that horse!

A dash in a five gallon bucket of water is a lot different than spraying it on the horse full strength. People just never cease to amaze me in what they think is acceptable to use on a horse. I'm sure if you contacted the Pine-Sol people they would tell you not to use it on any animal. ;)

sublimequine
May. 20, 2010, 04:38 PM
Pine-Sol can take the finish off of certain surfaces if you use too much :eek: --don't think I'd be using it on a horse, if I loved that horse!

A dash in a five gallon bucket of water is a lot different than spraying it on the horse full strength. People just never cease to amaze me in what they think is acceptable to use on a horse. I'm sure if you contacted the Pine-Sol people they would tell you not to use it on any animal. ;)

And just where did I say use Pine Sol full strength? It was diluted with vinegar and water. Used it all summer for a few years in a row on multiple horses, never had a problem.

I also fail to see how Pine Sol is that different than spraying a horse with insecticide. Take your snark elsewhere, it's unattractive.

EDIT; I do see that the OP refers to using it full strength. But considering all the responses have been suggestions of using it diluted somehow, my opinion still stands.

Crooked Horse
May. 20, 2010, 05:27 PM
I would like to hear from more people that have actually used it themselves.

A boarder at my last barn used to use it on her horse and although I never saw any ill effects, I just couldn't bring myself to follow suit. It sure would be economical though...

Scaredacoops
May. 20, 2010, 06:46 PM
I have always thought that Repel-X fly spray smells like Pinesol.

LuckOfTheIrish91
May. 20, 2010, 07:36 PM
We use this on my horse. It is a 9 in 1 dilution and works wonderful. The little chestnut pony on the property has the most amazing spring coat on her that looks like she has a gallon of show sheen on her. It isn't slippery or anything but they shine and it works!

Ghazzu
May. 20, 2010, 09:15 PM

Oh, this wasn't Pine-Sol--it was straight up pine oil disinfectant--probably worse. :D:eek:

None of the horses had skin issues from the dilute solution, it seemed to minimize the skin crud from using the same tack on multiple horses (we galloped them in sets), and I don't think it's killed any of us who handled it regularly.

But I agree that it is amusing, at the least, to see folks have the vapors over approved and tested fly repellants, and then use some witches' brew of unapproved constituents...

pintopiaffe
May. 21, 2010, 01:29 AM
Pine Sol's main active ingredient is pine oil. And it's got to be REAL Pine Sol, not lemon scent, not generics. Only the real deal has the highest % of pine oil as the ACTIVE ingredient. The other stuff has other cleaners...

I use it. Not straight. Mayb 2 oz, mixed with vinegar & water.

Have sensitive skinned horses who do fabulously with it, but citronella is awful.

Neem works better but is an abortifacent.

Pine Oil works far better for biting insects--deer flies, horse flies, moose flies, black flies, noseeums--than any commercial preparation I've tried short of 30% DEET.

In weighing evils, I like Pine Oil better than DEET. ;)

mtngirl
May. 21, 2010, 02:06 AM
Well...just goes to show you that you can learn something new everyday!

While trail riding today we were literally swarmed and harassed the entire ride by blood sucking deer flies. A commercial fly spray and liberal application of Deo-lotion did very little to repel them.

A dilution of the Pine-Sol with vinegar and water might be worth trying.

I've never looked for it, but where would you find the Pine or Eucalyptus oils? I really like eucalyptus.

tallyho392
May. 21, 2010, 08:22 AM
i have used the pine sol mix with mineral oil......use it in stalls and horses.....but the oil made it too gooey to use hand sray bottle, had to use the pressure pump bug spray tank.....
ner thought of useing vinegar with it..........will have to try that one

Mali
May. 21, 2010, 10:17 PM
I discovered the PineSol solution last summer and it's worked great! I also use the 1/3 PineSol 1/3 vinegar 1/3 water formula. I've used it on my sensitive TB and he has no reactions whatsoever. I mix it in a gallon jug and just refill spray bottles. I spray once daily. I usually spray down my wheelbarrow with it too, as it seems to cut down on the flies until I can dump it. I buy the Pinsol in large sizes at Home Depot for about $11 & the gallon of vinegar for $5 at Walmart. That makes 3 gallons (12 quarts) of fly spray at a total cost of $16!

SparklePlenty
May. 21, 2010, 11:31 PM
You can buy oils at your local Organic market.. we have the at quite a few places around here. And you can always order them on the internet!

There's a great thread on here about the Secret Fly Spray Recipe - make the donation to Leukemia and Thomas will email it to you. I did it - and i have NEVER regretted it.

Best of luck to you!

alteringwego
May. 22, 2010, 06:52 AM
well I know it kills flies because as I clean the cabinets in the feed room I get mad at the flies and drench them in it. Kills them dead!!!! (southern saying!)

TheJenners
May. 22, 2010, 10:07 AM
So some of you mention "pine oil" and others say "Pine Sol" the brand....where does one get pine oil, since it seems to be a different product?

Not that I begrudge paying $20+ for a eetle bottle of fly spray. :dead:

jeano
May. 22, 2010, 12:28 PM
Pine Sol is a brand name. Just to confuse things, Pine Sol makes cleaners that have no pine oil in them. To muddy the waters further, many cheapo "Pine Scented" cleaners also have no pine oil in them, and no ingredients whose name your grandmother would recognize. I myself use a generic Pine cleaner that DOES have some pine oil in it, but also I think other surfactants. I use it to clean house, not as fly spray, but I'm all for trying it if it'll work on the damn deer flies.

I think it would take an awful lot of pine oil diluted as found in pine cleaner aka PineSol to kill a horse, applied topically. Especially since I havent dropped dead from having my hands in it even full strength right out of the bottel. Nor had any skin irritation.

Having said all that, I try very hard to NOT get the commercial horse strength fly spray on my hands, and when i do I wash it off. I dont like inhaling it when the wind shifts when I'm spraying. Oddly enough, the ounce or two I spray on the horse hasnt killed me (or the horse) yet either.

MsM
May. 22, 2010, 02:04 PM
To those of you using vinegar with it: White or apple cider?

Mali
May. 22, 2010, 04:19 PM
I've always used apple cider vinegar

DMK
May. 22, 2010, 10:29 PM
ghazzu, I STILL have straight pine oil and will admit to using it as a diluted rinse. It's kind of useful for keeping the spring scrunge at bay. But I do rinse it off instead of leaving it one like we did in the old days.

The really really good stuff which came in metal gallon container is no longer being made. I bought two gallons a couple years ago from Pinkstons, but the "new" stuff isn't the same. The old stuff was wonderful, heavy oil that left your horse shiny. The new stuff is still miles away from pine sol, but it leans towards sudsy like pine sol.

here's a link
http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/pinkstonsturfgoodsincorporated/the-1211/Pine-II-(80-pct--Pine/Detail

Ghazzu
May. 22, 2010, 10:36 PM
ghazzu, I STILL have straight pine oil and will admit to using it as a diluted rinse. It's kind of useful for keeping the spring scrunge at bay. But I do rinse it off instead of leaving it one like we did in the old days.

The really really good stuff which came in metal gallon container is no longer being made. I bought two gallons a couple years ago from Pinkstons, but the "new" stuff isn't the same. The old stuff was wonderful, heavy oil that left your horse shiny. The new stuff is still miles away from pine sol, but it leans towards sudsy like pine sol.

here's a link
http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/pinkstonsturfgoodsincorporated/the-1211/Pine-II-(80-pct--Pine/Detail (http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/pinkstonsturfgoodsincorporated/the-1211/Pine-II-%2880-pct--Pine/Detail)

Hell, we bought it in 5 gallon buckets...

Check this (http://www.zim-intl.com/chemicals/disinfectants.htm) out. you need to scroll down, but it's 80% pine oil.

SaddleFitterVA
May. 22, 2010, 10:42 PM
I can still get Penn O Pine at Southern States, and according to the online data sheet, it is 70% pine oil.

http://www.valuegardens.com/allpro/labels/340400.pdf

I've always used it when I pressure wash the barn, put a glug in each stall and down the aisle. I suppose I could try it on the horses to see if it helps with flies.

DMK
May. 22, 2010, 10:47 PM
damn, it's a total shame that doesn't come in smaller quantities! I bet that is the same stuff that Pinkston's used to sell, different manufacturer. However at that price, I could just about swim them in microtek or malaseb! (but you know a gallon would last for ... ever).

And it's just wonderful stuff to clean the barn with. When I used to have an open air barn, after I would turn the horses out, clean the stalls and blow the barn out, usually once a week I would spray the stall walls with the stuff and splash some on the aisle and spread it around with a broom to dry. It made the barn smell SO good and it did help with the flies as well.

TabbyM
Jul. 26, 2012, 04:10 PM
well, I know of a fellow around here, leader in a sense of the redneck trail riding community, who swears by POURING KEROSENE in horse's ears for ticks or God knows what.

I am a redneck, haha, who trail rides in southern Illinois. I am 52 and when I was 10 years old, I went to feed my older pony and saw a horrible gash in his neck; cut through the skin and you could see the fat. I ran the quarter-mile home (we had a 1000 acres crop farm) and told my parents. My dad's dad farmed with draft horses, and it was their habit to use kerosene in animal wounds. So he told me to get a coke bottle, pour some kerosene in it from our 55 gallon barrel, and pour it in the wound. I did, the pony didn't seem to mind, (just kept eating grass.) Every day I would pour more in and let it run out, like a washing. Healed up quickly, with no scar, no swelling/proud flesh and no white hair/fur like some animal scars leave. Pony lived another 12 years. I would have no problems using kerosene on an animal as long as : 1.) no smoking was involved haha and 2.) no children were using it, geez what was my dad thinking letting a 10 year old dispense kerosene from a huge barrel and carry it around in a bottle? Life was different back in the 1960's and 70's.

kasjordan
Jul. 27, 2012, 10:24 AM
I don't know about using on the horse itself-but you can add me to the pine sol/vinegar/water and dash of Dawn crew. I spray down my run in about 3 times a week. Granted, there's a fan to keep the air moving and flies don't like that- but there are NO flies in their run in at all! I might try it on the horses themselves before a trail ride....see how it works for the biting flies......

caryledee
Jul. 27, 2012, 11:19 AM
The recipe I used to use was equal parts of Pine Sol, Listerine, Apple Cider Vinegar, plus a dash of Dawn and some fly spray concentrate. I used this when we had about 9 -10 horses in a very heavy mosquito area. I would mix it up in one of those big jugs they have for spraying plants and spray the horses down in the morning. It did seem to help. When I ride out on the trails now, I stick a bounce sheet in each boot. It sounds strange, but it really works!

SuckerForHorses
Jul. 27, 2012, 11:29 AM
I use the equal parts water, pine-sol, and apple cider vinegar with a splash of Dawn. Recently, I added some witch hazel just because I had it laying around. The listerine sounds like a good idea...maybe I'll put a splash of that in there too.

The water/pinesol/cider vinegar works great on my barn walls to keep the flies out.

I use it on the horse, but can't say it works any better (or worse) than my Absorbine Ultra Shield EX.

Now I use Swat on tops of the ears (never in the ears), a warpaint streak below the eye (never above, don't want it to melt and drip down...), and on the undercarriage. I use the homemade spray above everywhere else.