PDA

View Full Version : traveling with your show clothes?

Mukluk
May. 19, 2010, 11:07 PM
I got an ariat boot bag for xmas that I really like. At present using an old department store garment bag for my hunt coat and the fabric helmet bag that came with the helmet (not that there is anything wrong with that). But I am just wondering what do you use for taking your show clothing to shows and keeping it neat/clean until needed? Looking for something a little nicer than I have for my helmet and coat. Pragmatic is a big plus, good value for the money is also important. I will just be doing local-driving distance shows. What are your favorite items? Would love to hear from everyone!

indygirl2560
May. 19, 2010, 11:15 PM
I bought my navy show jacket from the local tack store and they gave me a garment bag with their name and logo on it; that's what I use for my clothes. I also wanted to buy a helmet bag when I was there but they were out, and just gave me a soft, cloth-lined troxel helmet "bag", which seems to keep dirt out but isn't the best for protection otherwise, as it's a soft cloth bag. and for my boots, I have an ariat bag like you. I'd eventually like to get an ariat helmet bag and clothes bag but I haven't felt like spending the money. Lettia also seems to make nice bags. I have a padded saddle cover from them that I love and get so many compliments on!

Mukluk
May. 20, 2010, 11:31 PM
bump!

T-storm chick
May. 21, 2010, 12:31 AM
I have an unpadded garment bag a won eons ago in 4-H which has two separate zippered boot compartments on the outside of it. Each holds a roper style western boot. The boot compartments are on the bag so that the shafts of the boots are parallel to the bottom of the bag; one boot toe points straight at the top of the garment bag and one at the bottom (they are alternated, kind of like being in a shoe box if that makes any sense.) If you can sew and have a little ingenuity, you don't need a pattern; you can design/create your own. It would be fairly easy to make a garment bag with a zipper along the side; padded front or back; and separate outer padded compartments for the helmet and boots if you wanted to keep everything together. If you can't sew but can find a picture of something you like take it to a local seamstress or friend who sews and tell them what you want. It might not be cheaper than something ready made but you might get some custom options you wouldn't otherwise have.

Kikki
May. 21, 2010, 01:30 AM
My boots have a nice bag but my helmet is in the bag it came in (and goes in my trunk) and I have a couple of garment bags I use for my clothes. A couple of them from from tack shops and one or two that were awards at horse shows but they are just the heavy nylon ones such as you would find at Smart Pak or Dover, nothing fancy. Jackets go in one bag, shirts and pants in another. The only thing that has a special bag is my shadbelly, which is in a longer garment bag to keep the tails from wrinkling. The only time I put my clothes in anything different is when I'm flying somewhere.

dab
May. 21, 2010, 04:48 AM
I have a bag like this http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=KN00029 that holds both boots and helmet -- It holds a crop on the side -- I use the tack shop garment bags for my show clothes ... or more often for local shows just the plastic from the dry cleaners -- I like that I can carry all of 'my' stuff in one hand with the bag slung over my shoulder --

eclipse
May. 21, 2010, 10:03 AM
I have an Ariat garment bag (lovely and padded) that I won for a jumper champion prize one year so I carry my 2 jackets and show shirts in that. It has 2 zip pockets on the bag so I can also stuff them with odds and ends too. I also have a boot bag (although it doesn't match) and for my helmet I just use the GPA bag it came in). :D

FAW
May. 21, 2010, 10:34 AM
Before airline baggage fees, I would check my boot bag and valet bag with my clothes. No worries

touchstone-
May. 21, 2010, 10:45 AM
I really like the Roma/WB plaid bags. They're thick and waterproof, reasonably attractive, and they really hold up. Also, they don't cost a fortune. I won coat and boot bags at a horse show about 10 years ago, and I liked them so much that I bought a few others in the set to match.

DMK
May. 21, 2010, 10:50 AM
I have a BMB boot bag that I love, mostly because it is a one piece bag, BUT it has a divider between the boots to protect the entire boot. It's also pretty heavily padded on the outside.

I picked up a garment bag from Schneiders after years of using the ones that came from Hadfields when I bought a coat, and it works fine for ratcatchers and coats.

For everything else, I finally found the perfect bag. It's sort of a "satchel" style bag - you know, where the bottom half is a bit more rigid and it pops up and opens, but a duffel would work well too. I keep all my breeches (about 4-6 pairs) folded up on one side, I have a little soft side makeup case inside that I store all my zocks and all my ratcatcher collars in a breathable bag in that little case. It's also got another section where I keep hair stuff. Show gloves are stuffed in a side pocket, belts (uh, about 6, all very blingy) are in another cotton drawstring bag and my nice bat sits in the side pocket. The whole thing sits in my closet where jackets/ratcathers live, ready to go. I grab that bag, put whatever coats/shirts I'll be wearing that weekend in the garment bag, grab the boot and helmet bag, toss everything in the car and all my show gear is packed in about 5 minutes and there isn't any worry I'll forget any of those pesky "little" thinkgs because all of them are in one place (and really, I have about 15 shirts, 7 belts and tons of zocks and both brown and black gloves, so there's a fair amount of crap to be remembered and "matched"...

With a system this good, it's a shock I still managed to forget my boots once, isn't it? Especially since boots/hat sit in a different closet with the show bridles. And of course I had my helmet/bridle, it wasn't like I just forgot that closet right next to the garage door. :rolleyes:

Hunter Mom
May. 21, 2010, 11:29 AM
I have Roma, and they're nice. Padded, hold everything, etc. I'd definitely recommend them. DD has some from Tally Ho (I think they're very similar to the Dover ones but we got hers from justforpoines.com because they came in purple!) and they're nice, too. I really like the pocket on the front of hers to hold gloves, garters, chokers, etc.

Void
May. 21, 2010, 11:43 AM
Victory Canter has the Amigo Rider luggage set for 45 bucks, I got it for christmas and like it. Has a garment bag (on the small side but I just put 2 jackets, a couple shirts and 2 pairs of breeches. I like the helmet bag a lot, and the boot bag that came with it, and it has one more bag which it says you can package all your other bags into when not in use (but really when are they NOT in use lol) I just keep my spare girth and a pad in there.

xxreddxheaddxx
May. 21, 2010, 06:09 PM
I have the ones that are i think called Kensington? maybe not. I think it starts with a K. You can buy them at smart pak equine. they are AMAZING!!!!

superpony123
May. 21, 2010, 06:13 PM
i have a helmet bag, boot bag, and garment bag for my coat. i honestly can't think of any other way to conveniently store these items. you wont find anything different than what you already have, unless youre just looking to get customized colors or match everything

NorthFaceFarm
May. 21, 2010, 06:19 PM
My show clothes live in the plastic wrap they come back from the dry cleaners in :D

I don't believe in boot bags - if you wear them enough to look really good and broken in, there is no point in "protecting" them in a bag.

CenterStage123
May. 21, 2010, 07:22 PM
I agree with NorthFace... my jacket lives in the dry cleaner's bag and I put my breeches and show shirt on a hanger and put that in thier too. I put the belt on the hanger by the buckle and the zocks get knotted around the hanger.

My helmet and boots just get put in the car. I have never had a problem with this system so I don't see a need to spend over a hundred dollars on "pretty matching bags" that really aren't nessary.

alteringwego
May. 21, 2010, 08:31 PM
I have a garment bag with a large front pocket. In the pocket I keep extras like collars, socks, extra spurs, ear plugs, protein bars, tampons, stock ties, etc. My boots live in a boot bag with a polishing kit, boot jack, and boot hooks. My helmet lives in a helmet bag with a freshening pack, hair nets, and gloves. Usually my helmet goes to the show in my tack trunk and I take my garment bag and boot bag myself.

BigDreams07
May. 21, 2010, 08:37 PM
My mom got me the Baker 5A or whatever it is collection for christmas. It's awesome!