PDA

View Full Version : Tad Coffin Width Question

ImJumpin
May. 19, 2010, 10:02 PM
So I have been on quite the saddle search for my mare. I had ordered an Antares for her that fit horribly and ended up getting a full refund. Since then I have tried about a million different saddles with no luck. Today I tried a Tad Coffin and FINALLY have found something that looks like it will work. Problem is, it is slightly too wide and is sitting to far down on her withers. I know Tad does the leather pad deal, but do they really work? I mean this saddle fits her absolutely like a glove through the panel, it just is too wide in the front. I am having a hard time understanding how a leather pad is going to work-- would it not change the whole fit of the saddle and not just the tree width up front?

I really want the TC to work, but just am hesitant. What has personal experience shown you with this saddle and the leather pads?

Lord Helpus
May. 19, 2010, 10:15 PM
So I have been on quite the saddle search for my mare. I had ordered an Antares for her that fit horribly and ended up getting a full refund. Since then I have tried about a million different saddles with no luck. Today I tried a Tad Coffin and FINALLY have found something that looks like it will work. Problem is, it is slightly too wide and is sitting to far down on her withers. I know Tad does the leather pad deal, but do they really work? I mean this saddle fits her absolutely like a glove through the panel, it just is too wide in the front. I am having a hard time understanding how a leather pad is going to work-- would it not change the whole fit of the saddle and not just the tree width up front?

I really want the TC to work, but just am hesitant. What has personal experience shown you with this saddle and the leather pads?

I have a TCPS that I am selling because it only fits my witherless WB and not my gelding with withers. I am tired of using wither protection pads.

Tad's leather pad works OK, but I already had a leather pad that was split over the withers so I always used that instead.

I have not been around for earlier chapters of the saddle fitting saga, but it seems you have been looking for quite a while. Make sure you are willing to compromise on the new saddle fit. Personally the new TCPS's are so expensive, I would want it to be perfect before spending the $$.

horse-loverz
May. 19, 2010, 11:07 PM
Cheaper and better than the leather pads is one of those front riser pads. (http://www.tds-saddlers.com/productdetails.asp?PCLinkID=11928) like that. Cheap and works well.

Tegan
May. 20, 2010, 07:22 AM
I've never been a fan of the Tad Coffin fitting system. It caused a lot of problems in my sister's high withered horse. He kept sending new pads to "fix" it, but if the shape isn't built for high withers, it's not going to work.

jn4jenny
May. 20, 2010, 07:31 AM
Hate to say it ImJumpin, but you're right. Unless you manage to work some kind of mini-miracle with a thick sheepskin half pad that will lift it up and off the withers, plus some memory foam or Thinline shims up front that are custom-cut to lift the Tad, you are probably SOL.

Wish I could see a picture of your girl from the rear with no saddle. That would tell many tales about what brand to check out next.

ImJumpin
May. 20, 2010, 08:35 AM
Horse has pretty much no withers, so not too concerned by the "these don't fit high withers." At this point it is purely a problem of too wide a tree. The tree shape is SPOT on. I don't need lift, I just need the very front of the saddle to be slightly more narrow.

J4J- anything that is as flat as the Tad tree. The tree (aside from the width) is like it was custom made for her.

Lucassb
May. 20, 2010, 08:50 AM
I had one of the earlier TC saddles and had the same problem. I used a Cloud 9 half pad under it (http://www.cloudninesaddlepads.com/Hunter_Jumper.html)

It worked beautifully for home but I never did find a good solution for the eq and hunter rings. Not an issue now because the horse is semi retired and doesn't show much.

naters
May. 20, 2010, 12:33 PM
OP:

I LOVE my TC saddle, it fits my horse the same way you are describing yours. The leather pad works great, AND I like it because I found a few extra (different thickness) pads on ebay, and can make it adapt decently to all of the horses I ride.

Give it a shot, Tad let me keep the demo for a couple of weeks!

naters
May. 20, 2010, 12:35 PM
I had one of the earlier TC saddles and had the same problem. I used a Cloud 9 half pad under it (http://www.cloudninesaddlepads.com/Hunter_Jumper.html)

It worked beautifully for home but I never did find a good solution for the eq and hunter rings. Not an issue now because the horse is semi retired and doesn't show much.

What is it made of? Looks cool, and it looks like now they have a "full" pad that you could show in!

RugBug
May. 20, 2010, 01:13 PM
If you only need to lift one part of the saddle, I don't think the TC leather pads would work. They basically narrow everything, not just one part.

I almost bought a TC (maybe the one naters bought?) but based on a trial, it would've been too wide for my TB, who doesn't have horrible withers, but does have the typical dip behind them. I demo'd a friend's saddle with the wither relief pad and it was still too wide and therefore a no-go. I called the company and spoke with Tad (he answers the company line...it's a little disconcerting). I wanted to get his suggestions and he pretty much told me that I would probably have to go with the newer model that offers a narrower tree.

naters
May. 20, 2010, 01:27 PM
I have the opposite experience actually, in that on my horse it only narrows the front in the shoulder "dip" area. My horses rear part of his back is flatter, so maybe that is why it doesnt affect my horses overall fit (pad, and saddle, and horse are all flat surfaces...).

Lucassb
May. 20, 2010, 03:08 PM

What is it made of? Looks cool, and it looks like now they have a "full" pad that you could show in!

The outer cover is just standard fleece - like a regular saddle pad. It has foam insert that can be removed if you want to launder it.

I liked it because unlike the really dense thick pads (like the Beval ones) it conformed to the saddle and seemed to just sort of "fill in" the needed areas without causing pressure points in the other areas. I still have it around here somewhere, but haven't used it in ages. My current horse is perfect in just a regular half pad over a baby pad at home; his saddle fits like a glove.

As an aside, I really dislike the look of the Cloud 9 fitted pads. I am kind of old school and like no more than an inch of plain white fleece framing the saddle... the Cloud 9 one is way too distracting, looks like you tucked a sheep between you and the horse!

doublesstable
May. 20, 2010, 03:48 PM
, looks like you tucked a sheep between you and the horse!

:lol::lol::lol::yes:

It does look comfy!