PDA

View Full Version : Everybody: The Best Footing for Jumpers? Hunters? What's your favorite?...

JumpinBeans81
May. 19, 2010, 10:23 AM
I am in the process of building a couple of arenas...one specifically for hunters the other for jumpers. What is your favorite footing if money were no object? What show do you feel has the best footing? Have you ridden on a polymer coated sand arena? What were your thoughts?

Currently considering;
Otto Sport
Wordley Martin
ESI
Attwood Equestrian Surfaces

Polymer sand blend
silica sand/felt/fiber blend
others??

Is there a footing you would stay away from? Are there any shows which you avoid because of their footing? Or conversely, others you specifically go to because they have such good footing?

THANK YOU!!!:D:winkgrin::D

llsc
May. 19, 2010, 10:30 AM
I absolutely love the Otto Sport footing. It poured like you wouldn't believe in KY during Pony Finals last year, the entire place was flooded, and within an hour the rings were perfect again.

Lucassb
May. 19, 2010, 10:45 AM
Another vote for Otto Sport, for the same reason.

I think what is ideal in terms of footing can depend a lot on the local conditions though.

For instance we had Travelright in an indoor up here and liked it a lot. Put it into an outdoor arena and it was a disaster. One rain and it was unrideable for days. It was redone multiple times by the installer without much improvement. A friend of mine put it in their indoor and had nothing but complaints - it was slick to the point that horses were tripping/falling.

My current outdoor is a sand poly blend and it's lovely, drains well even after hard rains and stays nice and rideable. However, we do have to water it regularly if it *doesn't* rain. Not a big deal, but something to think about before installation.

I have never had felt at home but liked it very much when riding on it at the bigger show venues. If I had it to do again that would be the first type I'd look at.

KnickerB
May. 19, 2010, 10:49 AM
Footing First! www.footingfirst.com

lintesia
May. 19, 2010, 09:00 PM
"Euro-felt" (Not sure if that's the correct name, though.)

I rode at a show last fall that had it and my horse felt like he was floating. It was an amazing feeling. So often the only comments one hears about the footing is how bad it is; at this show, it seemed everyone was talking about how incredible it was in that one arena.

comeoutandplay
May. 19, 2010, 10:05 PM
The barn where I work has Eurofelt and everyone seems to really love it. The only problem we have is that it's hard to pick the manure out of it, it doesn't sift very well through the fork.

Joyrider
May. 19, 2010, 10:27 PM
We have Eurofelt with sand and have VERY heavy traffic (65 horses in the stable and 40 of them go out twice per day for lessons and then weekend horse shows). We water and drag everyday sometimes twice. Love it! But, if budget is unlimited, the stuff they have the KHP is unreal. Looking at the previous threads I believe it is the Otto Sport. AMAZING.

A stable down the road has polymer coated sand. Was GREAT for the first couple of years but now is <gasp> dusty and they need to add more as it feels hard.

Tegan
May. 19, 2010, 10:36 PM
Has anyone used GGT? How does it compare?

JumpinBeans81
May. 20, 2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the responses so far!

For those that were at WEF, what was your opinion of the footing? Likes/dislikes?

I'll be posting a few more specific threads about individual types of footing to see if I get more response. Footing is such a huge, central part of a training facility I'd like to get it right the first time if I can!!! Thanks again for the responses :)