PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone care to update me on the state of Pony Jumpers?

pwynnnorman
May. 19, 2010, 08:30 AM
Like, in what areas of the country is the division more popular (than other areas)? I get ShowNet alerts and notice 2-3 entries in, say, KY. What are entries like in New England, for example?

Also, has anyone noticed a significant number of ponies (or honies) competing in Ch/Ad jumpers or in the non-rated/schooling divisions? If so, would that be in a particular region--or just in general? Thanks.

findeight
May. 19, 2010, 09:51 AM
Don't know about a specifc number but most of the kids do go to the Ch/Ad because most shows don't offer Pony Jumpers or it does not fill if they do. Local/regional USHJA affiliate shows almost never offer it because it won't fill.

IMO what you are dealing with is the kids want to go do Juniors and get out of Ponies when they hit that age and ability level. Probably the only time in your life you ever lied up about your age istead of chopping a few years off or ignoring the question is in your teens. The kids want to bag the Ponies...and I do talk to alot of them-they want a Junior Hunter. They don't want to "still" be doing Ponies when their age group peers are all on horses.

Unfortunate but true.

Lucassb
May. 19, 2010, 10:02 AM
Don't know about a specifc number but most of the kids do go to the Ch/Ad because most shows don't offer Pony Jumpers or it does not fill if they do. Local/regional USHJA affiliate shows almost never offer it because it won't fill.

IMO what you are dealing with is the kids want to go do Juniors and get out of Ponies when they hit that age and ability level. Probably the only time in your life you ever lied up about your age istead of chopping a few years off or ignoring the question is in your teens. The kids want to bag the Ponies...and I do talk to alot of them-they want a Junior Hunter. They don't want to "still" be doing Ponies when their age group peers are all on horses.

Unfortunate but true.

I agree. I'm in New England and can't remember the last time I saw a pony jumper class at a show. Even when they are offered, they just don't fill.

The C/A jumpers do have a few kids on their ponies, but most are on horses.

findeight
May. 19, 2010, 10:10 AM
Think back to when you were in High School and just a freshman, or even college. You want to blend in with the big kids, not hang with the younger ones. Just human nature.

By the time most kids can navigate a level 3/4 course within the time allowed? They are at leat 12 and more likely 13 or 14 at a minimum. If they ride that well? They want a horse like all their friends have.

Others in that age group are far less experienced and can't handle the course so stick to a Large Pony Hunter (not to say that is any easier but ithe course is not as big and you don't have to go fast). Once they get better, they'll be wanting a horse like the big kids as well.

IMO this has alot more to do with it then anything concerning the class itself.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 19, 2010, 10:51 AM
I'm pretty sure they had them in Vermont last summer.

I don't think it's as unpopular as others
seem to, though I admit I've never seen more
than a handful in a class. It would actually have a better chance at a local level I think.

I put my fancy pony in for two weeks in FL, kid and pony had a blast.

If you're thinking of trying to sell one that is only suited to the jumpers - get out while you still can, or advertise it as a good pony club mount or it will never leave.

ponymom64
May. 19, 2010, 11:04 AM
I'm in the Northeast and they have them at the bigger shows, like Vt and HITS but the numbers are low, there is nothing really at the local level - though there is not much in the way of jumpers at many of the locals shows either.

I just pulled the results from WEF and the numbers were fairly low there, as well.

skyy
May. 19, 2010, 12:16 PM
St. Christopher's had about 15 entered in each pony jumper class. That's a pretty good turnout.

cottagefarm
May. 19, 2010, 01:12 PM
The kids don't know what they're missing.
I did pony jumpers (in England) and had a blast. It's a different world as far as showing goes between europe and here but I would have been bored out of my brain doing hunters week after week.
Our hunter classes are very different . Still have natural coloured fences but usually include bullfinches, ditches and an in and out.

Question. What classes can adults ride ponies in here. Hunters or jumpers. TIA

Go Fish
May. 19, 2010, 01:57 PM
I hit a good number of shows out here on the West coast. Some shows hold the pony jumper classes, but they barely fill. Doesn't appear to be a very popular division out here.

But, keep in mind, show numbers are down everywhere, generally.

Hunter/JumperMom
May. 19, 2010, 02:03 PM
geez, if I could afford it, my 17 year old would LOVE a pony jumper! She never "did" ponies, and would ride one for kids at the barn, the trainer would let her jump him, she said its the most fun she has ever had! If she could have another horse, or just lease one for the summer, I wouldn't be surprised if she said get a pony jumper! though a round one, as she is 5'7"!!

pwynnnorman
May. 19, 2010, 05:51 PM
I'm not really trying to sell one, but I had someone try a pony for that purpose a couple of weeks ago. I kinda wish the division well, but just don't see it developing.

I think the social side of it makes a heck of a lot of sense because I'm also noting (via ShowNet) fewer large ponies, too (at least at some shows). That seems to support older kids' desires to leave the pony crowd behind, too, doesn't it?

Very interesting!

(BTW, very sad to see the very, veyr small numbers in the pro divisions, too.)

OGF
May. 20, 2010, 07:41 AM
We have a pony jumper. She is an absolute blast. Yes, the classes are small to non-existent but most zones seem to have made allowances for showing and qualifying for pony finals by being able to enter other classes and have those points count (ex. child/adult as long as they run at specific heights). It is too bad the division hasn't developed better. My daughter does the big medals and some level 3 type stuff on horses but the pony jumper still tops the list for total fun. Also too bad she just started doing this division in January and ages out in December.

gusbabe
May. 20, 2010, 09:04 AM
I show in the NJ, MD, eastern PA area. My DD does pony jumpers. We rarely have less than 8 ponies in a class, easily up to 15 for the bigger shows. Those 15 are still local enough to haul in for the show as opposed to stabling. So in our little neck of the woods, pony jumpers does awesome. I never worry about the class not filling!

findeight
May. 20, 2010, 09:28 AM
I show in the NJ, MD, eastern PA area. My DD does pony jumpers. We rarely have less than 8 ponies in a class, easily up to 15 for the bigger shows. Those 15 are still local enough to haul in for the show as opposed to stabling. So in our little neck of the woods, pony jumpers does awesome. I never worry about the class not filling!

Well, I looked at the USEF Pony Jumpers national points. There were about 60 or so with points but almost every single one of them only had points from between 1 and 3 shows. A good sized group had points from 5 shows. The leader only showed...oh....was it 6 times? And these were all points from the same handful of shows. That is in 7 months (since Dec 1) and more then halfway through the show year. That tells the tale.

And, not knocking the division but...I know they make it easy to qualify a Pony Jumper for Pony Finals. And it shows. The good ones are great. But too many cannot get around.

It's just kind of an oddball division. And it has always been true a kid ready for a quality Large Pony wants a Junior horse, there are alot of catch riders in that one. And kids that ALSO have that Junior horse. Kid may say they want one but when they go to the Pony and pigtails ring and all their friends go to the one with the big fences in it? I hear it all the time.

Tini Sea Soldier
May. 20, 2010, 03:01 PM
The division fails simply bc it doesn't take into consideration size.

I had a medium on the smaller size with all the bravery and scope... and she would have been the pony jumper to beat... except that you couldn't expect the poor thing to do a course of jumps where the height was 3'3 width could extend to 3'6. It simply was beyond her realm to do a whole course of it. She would march up to a 3'3 vertical like it was nothing... but seriously.. that's asking a lot of a pony that was barely over the the small pony measurement line.

There are no other options for ponies her size if she wanted to do jumpers. There are itty-bittys, chicken littles, etc. but nothing that would be "A" show/finals worthy.

I think it's ridiculous that the hunters have 3 division heights... and the pony jumpers are all lumped into 1 height. We've all been at a show that's had 1 small, 3 mediums, and 2 larges for the green pony hunters... they raise and lower fences accordingly and judge the division as one. Why is this not a factor for the pony jumpers?

Not to mention... the way they have height restrictions for pony hunters... you automatically break the pony's green the second they enter the pony jumper class. For the transitional pony... it no longer makes it eligible green.

If you had a small medium class that was more along the lines of 2'6-2'9 (yes, would still break their green year, but anyway), I think there would be much more added interest.

Otherwise, you get a bunch of awkward-sized larges.. or not-so-nice movers... and maybe a few sport ponies that are really true jumper-type ponies.

OGF
May. 20, 2010, 10:15 PM
I agree - different height divisions would probably generate a lot more interest. You could have younger, smaller kids capable of lower heights on smaller ponies having fun and learning a lot in the pony jumper division. Now, by the time they are capable of a forward ride around a 1.10m course, they've either completely outgrown ponies or are just really wanating a horse. It's too bad because it has great potential for kids who don't want the perfectionism of the eq classes and don't have the money for the fancy hunter.

Someone remind me - did their used to be different heights? I'm remembering pony finals from maybe 10 years ago. Didn't Napleon do the pony jumpers? How big was Supersonic?

Stoney447
May. 20, 2010, 11:45 PM
Question. What classes can adults ride ponies in here. Hunters or jumpers.

Anything that isnt designated as pony for the jumpers. I have no clue about the hunters.

findeight
May. 21, 2010, 11:14 AM
Anything that isnt designated as pony for the jumpers. I have no clue about the hunters.

Basically, anything not restricted to Ponies in the Hunters too. Check the individual rules or the prize list.

But the courses will be set for the longer horse steps and suitabilty counts-meaning size of rider has to mesh with size of horse.

Usually see them in the non national rated below 3'.

S A McKee
May. 21, 2010, 11:28 AM
The division fails simply bc it doesn't take into consideration size.

I had a medium on the smaller size with all the bravery and scope... and she would have been the pony jumper to beat... except that you couldn't expect the poor thing to do a course of jumps where the height was 3'3 width could extend to 3'6. It simply was beyond her realm to do a whole course of it. She would march up to a 3'3 vertical like it was nothing... but seriously.. that's asking a lot of a pony that was barely over the the small pony measurement line.

In Europe there are no splits in pony sizes in the jumpers. Max height is 1.35M to 1.4M in the jump off.
So yes, they certainly would expect the 'poor thing' to be doing a lot more than 3'3".
We are way too hung up on the heights for sizes thing.

InWhyCee Redux
May. 21, 2010, 01:23 PM
I'm 5' 4" and know of a large pony who would kick ass in the Pony Jumpers — but I'm well over the age of consent, so we are going nowhere. :( If the kids don't want to jump their ponies, why can't us petite adults?

Void
May. 21, 2010, 01:37 PM
I'm 5' 4" and know of a large pony who would kick ass in the Pony Jumpers — but I'm well over the age of consent, so we are going nowhere. :( If the kids don't want to jump their ponies, why can't us petite adults?

I second a petite adult division :P

InWhyCee Redux
May. 21, 2010, 01:55 PM
I second a petite adult division :P

If the competition is being judged on the performance of the pony, why shouldn't adults be allowed compete against juniors?

findeight
May. 21, 2010, 02:09 PM
They certainly can do so in the Child/Adult Jumpers in any show. And many do just that. Heck, you can do Junior A/O if it can get around.

Even at Pony Finals in the Jumpers, the majority of entrants were under about 15. Very few 16 and 17. Can't see them opening that up for Adults. Kind of defeats the purpose of the Pony division in developing younger riders.

Ravencrest_Camp
May. 21, 2010, 05:39 PM

Because not everyone's definition of petite is going to be the same as yours. ;)

NorthFaceFarm
May. 21, 2010, 06:27 PM
In Europe there are no splits in pony sizes in the jumpers. Max height is 1.35M to 1.4M in the jump off.
So yes, they certainly would expect the 'poor thing' to be doing a lot more than 3'3".
We are way too hung up on the heights for sizes thing.

The splits are more for the riders than the ponies here. There aren't a ton of under-12 year olds here who can effectively pilot a small or medium around a 3'3 jumper course.

S A McKee
May. 21, 2010, 07:39 PM
The splits are more for the riders than the ponies here. There aren't a ton of under-12 year olds here who can effectively pilot a small or medium around a 3'3 jumper course.

Quite possibly true but it makes no difference as there is no age to size thing in Pony Jumpers. Under 18 and on a pony, that's all.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 21, 2010, 08:03 PM
I know, I was just giving you an answer about why we are so hung up on heights.

pwynnnorman
May. 21, 2010, 09:44 PM
Interesting observations and experiences. I didn't mean to drop this--I signed up to be notified of new posts, but it didn't happen.