PDA

View Full Version : half chaps in jumpers?

half seat
May. 18, 2010, 11:07 PM
I did try to search the general rules and the rules for jumpers, but I can't find my answer. I admit that I just might not be searching properly...

Are half chaps permitted in jumpers? I am taking one of my horses to a B-rated show next weekend to school and considering putting him in a jumper class (2'6") if all goes well. The only problem is that one of my tall boots ripped and my new ones won't be here in time.

I have TredStep pro gaiters (they zip in the back) and front zip paddock boots -- all smooth leather and looks just like tall boots unless you look closely. However, if it's against the rules, I won't plan to enter any classes.

Thanks!

jse
May. 18, 2010, 11:10 PM
It's not against the rules. My husband wears them at almost every show because of the same reason...his tall boots are ripped at the zipper and he hasn't been able to get them fixed. I see no problem with it as long as they are black and match your boots! The Treadstep ones are what my husband uses as well!

half seat
May. 18, 2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks! I was hoping that was the case, as I'd love to enter the division. :)

They are black and do match my boots. :yes:

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
May. 19, 2010, 01:26 AM
Ask the show management. Every show has a different spec and rule. Some shows expect more than others.

Phaxxton
May. 19, 2010, 09:47 AM
Ask the show management. Every show has a different spec and rule. Some shows expect more than others.

The OP said that it's a rated show. Shouldn't attire be governed by the USEF rules, not show management? Honest question... I was an eventer before drinking the hunter/jumper Kool Aide. ;)

Lucassb
May. 19, 2010, 09:50 AM
You will be fine. I showed in the HUNTERS at a couple A shows years ago in my Ariat half chaps and paddock boots when it was pouring out and I didn't want to trash my fancy custom field boots. Especially if you wear spurs, it is VERY hard to tell from more than a couple feet away. As long as they are the standard smooth leather with no obvious zip or closures, I doubt anyone will even notice.

findeight
May. 19, 2010, 10:00 AM
2'6" Jumpers is not a rated division even if offered at a rated show and there is no dress requirement other then basics.

And asking show "management" would mean the steward could provide the information (that is their job, the rules), management would not be making up the rules. So it is always a good idea to ask them if you have a question.

I have seen somebody who has been to the Olympics in the big Jumper ring in nice half chaps, more then once and more then one of these people. Certainly, if it is OK for them? It's OK for you.

Mind you, talking the nice, smooth leather black ones you almost need a magnifying glass to see are not tall boots. Not the ratty as* kind.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 19, 2010, 11:05 AM
I jumped in a weekend class at WEF in chaps *gasp*. A lot of people did. No biggie.

Ozone
May. 19, 2010, 12:00 PM
I am wearing my zip back ariats and zip front paddocks to show this weekend. The sole of my foot on my feild boots is worn, no grip at all. I thank whomever made nice showable half chaps! :yes:

Trixie
May. 19, 2010, 01:02 PM
As long as it's for jumpers... hunters classify chaps under "inappropriate attire" and when we asked the USEF they said half chaps/gaiters qualify as chaps. Of course, it's judge's discretion whether or not to penalize.

half seat
May. 19, 2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks everyone!

This would be for jumpers only, not hunters or eq. They are the TredStep pro gaiters -- smooth leather, back zip, and match my boots. I think we should be okay.