PDA

View Full Version : Another "How do I look" thread

maudie
May. 18, 2010, 08:32 PM

TrakeGirl
May. 18, 2010, 08:40 PM
Hey, sorry, I am not a critiquer, but your leg (angle from hip to knee) is actually the first example of one that I've seen recently (a la mvp's posts) that matches the angle of the leading front edge of your saddle flap perfectly.:)

JBCool
May. 19, 2010, 10:54 AM
Actually, I think you're a little hard on yourself. :)

As much as anything, I'd like to see you RELAX and TAKE YOUR TIME. Make your turns bigger and wait for your jumps. I think the reason you're ducking is because you're rushing everything mentally. Granted, where some of the jumps are set encourages rushing b/c you only have a stride or so off the turn, but try to make a turn that will give you as much room as possible; don't just jump and turn when there's a whole end of the ring in front of you.

The other thing I'd like to see you do is keep your eye up a little more. You look good enough you shouldn't have to look for your leads or diagonals, so don't. This will help you hold your upper body and keep it from rushing ahead of you too.

Your leg and release look pretty good to me. Maybe try giving the mare a little more rein (she doesn't look like she's going to run away with you;) ) and relax your arm. It looks like sometimes you can't keep her going, and a softer contact may help that.

As for the team, I'd say give it a try. Your basics are there; you just need to focus on what will make you look a little more relaxed and confident. :)

rabicon
May. 19, 2010, 11:04 AM
Looks like a push ride qh :lol: Hard to get a nice jump on I imagine. You look good but a few things I see are: You are pinching with your knee which makes your upper body throw forward and you leg slip way back. In turn you have chicken wings starting because you are up on your hands in the release. Try to sit and wait for the pony to push you up (which it doesn't look like he has a lot of push so I understand why you feel like you need to jump up ahead of him) but for these small jumps you don't have to come very far out of the saddle at all. Sit back and relax and wait for him. Push your weight in your heels, you can notice over some of the jumps you are also starting to roach your back. One reason for this is you are taking the brunt of the jump in your back because of your knee and not letting it flow down and out your leg and heel. Get your heel down and put your calf on the pony and not your knee. Little more release would be nice also. Watching your video also try to take a little more wide turns with this pony, he is not set up to turn those sharp turns and look nice which in turn makes you look a little sloppy. You want to put your best foot forward if these are going to college so make those turns a little wider and sit back and in your seat on these turns and push his rear up under him. Also when you start to trot or canter it would be better if you can feel what diaganol and lead you are on without having to look down at it. Take a little time to feel the horse and be able to feel if you are on the correct ones. Good luck hope this helps