PDA

View Full Version : kids stirrups, weighted or no?

Mayaty02
May. 18, 2010, 04:02 PM
Hi all, new saddle on the way and i have to buy stirrups for my 7 yr old daughter. I want to get the standard safety stirrup but see we have the option of a "weighted" stirrup or regular. What are the benefits of a weighted stirrup?

BAC
May. 18, 2010, 05:08 PM
I don't know anything about kids but would guess that a weighted stirrup might be easier to pick up if you lose one.

llsc
May. 18, 2010, 07:08 PM
www.justforponies.com has the really good weighted Peacock Stirrups. 4" should be the right size if she doesn't have abnormally big feet and be sure to get lined leathers with the 1/2" holes. You'll be amazed at how many time you have to let the stirrups down.

Mayaty02
May. 18, 2010, 08:00 PM
www.justforponies.com has the really good weighted Peacock Stirrups. 4" should be the right size if she doesn't have abnormally big feet and be sure to get lined leathers with the 1/2" holes. You'll be amazed at how many time you have to let the stirrups down.

Thanks, I saw those, she does have big feet, she's a size 2.5 or 3...I measured and it seemed like a 4.25 might work, do you think that's too big? Why the weighted though, just wondering if I should spend the extra $$ :D

JA
May. 18, 2010, 08:09 PM
Weighted are easier to pick up when you lose a stirrup because they stay stiller. I would get a 4.5, that way if your trainer needs to get on the pony they won't have to switch saddles. I wear a ladies 4.5-5 shoe and have 4.75 stirrups so my trainer can ride in my saddle when my horse needs a 'reminder'