PDA

View Full Version : How-to: Find a rider?

Wallabbey
May. 18, 2010, 01:46 PM
Hello, from a long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I am a young amateur with a pony who started this show season with the girl who rode her for me last year. I enjoy working with this girl and her trainer, but she's beginning to look somewhat tall on this pony and I'm pondering trying to find a different rider. Unfortunately, I have no clue how to do this. The girl last year kind of fell into my lap, so to speak. Her trainer does not have any other appropriately sized children, and neither does the trainer I work with.

So how exactly does catch-riding work? I have always paid class entries, plus stall/office/drug/etc fees -- mostly the kid has kept the ribbons, but I keep monetary/year-end prizes. But what about trainer day fees? If I ask a kid to ride, do I need to pay their trainer's day fees? Do you generally approach the kid or the trainer? Any help, tips, advice, etc would be appreciated. Thanks (and sorry its longish).

findeight
May. 18, 2010, 01:58 PM
If you ask the catch rider to ride the Pony, you pay all charges and you get the ribbons...however I don't know any adult using a catch rider for a Pony who does not let the kid keep the ribbons, if they want them.

Any money won gets taken off the bill in the show office so that's no concern.

You are certainly allowed to negotiate a different set up with an individual rider (and their parents) where they would pay the trainer charges or even everything.

But the standard for a regular, accomplished, Pony catch rider is you pay all. And it would be nice to slip the kid a little something, especially if they were good.

Be sure to talk first so you don't get blindsided.

This is probably a good time to refresh my earlier and oft said remarks about what should be your most used phrase in dealing with trainers of your Pony and/or the catch rider and any other Pros..."WHAT IS THIS GOING TO COST ME"?

Memorize it and use it often.

bazinga
May. 18, 2010, 02:13 PM
So how exactly does catch-riding work? I have always paid class entries, plus stall/office/drug/etc fees -- mostly the kid has kept the ribbons, but I keep monetary/year-end prizes. But what about trainer day fees? If I ask a kid to ride, do I need to pay their trainer's day fees? Do you generally approach the kid or the trainer? Any help, tips, advice, etc would be appreciated. Thanks (and sorry its longish).

I am currently catch riding a horse in the jumper ring and we have it worked out I pay all my coaching fees and half of the show bill, trailer fees etc. are for the owner. The owner keeps all of the ribbons (simply because I have no more room for ribbons in my room) and I would imagine the owner keeps the prize money. This was only done because my parents are good friends with the owner and offered to pay half the bill because of how good of an opportunity this is for me to get more exposure in the jumper ring. If my parents were not close with the owner and footing half the bill then the owner would be fitting all the bill minus coaching.

:)

Lucassb
May. 18, 2010, 02:24 PM
Hello, from a long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I am a young amateur with a pony who started this show season with the girl who rode her for me last year. I enjoy working with this girl and her trainer, but she's beginning to look somewhat tall on this pony and I'm pondering trying to find a different rider. Unfortunately, I have no clue how to do this. The girl last year kind of fell into my lap, so to speak. Her trainer does not have any other appropriately sized children, and neither does the trainer I work with.

Depends a bit on what you are trying accomplish. If this is a sale pony and you want the catch rider to put a record on it, showcase it to top buyers and are looking for a "name brand" kid so to speak, it's a different situation from, say, finding a competent kid who can give the pony some confidence and mileage at the local shows to prepare it for your own kid to ride.

In either instance I would fully expect to pay all the fees associated with the pony (shipping, stall, braiding, entries etc) but not the trainer's day fee UNLESS the trainer and kid are there *just* for your pony. Might be different if you want THEIR trainer to take the kid to the ring for you (or your trainer.)

If you just want local miles put on your pony and don't need the top pony jock in your area, you can often find horseless kids or those who have a few of their own (thus are at the show already) whose parents will be happy to split the fees with you in order to get their kids some extra saddle time.

Best way to find them is usually through their trainers. Ask around!

bear necessities
May. 18, 2010, 05:28 PM
Whenever I catch rode, the owner paid all the bills, I just hopped on and schooled the pony/horse a bit then went into the ring. I would just look back on the shows you did last season at the kids that competed in the same division as the one your pony was in. Most kids will jump at the chance to ride anything! Or go to a local show and watch some of the pony divisions. If one rider in particular stands out to you, walk up to them while they with their parent or trainer and strike up a conversation explaining your situation.

pattnic
May. 19, 2010, 07:53 AM
...looking for a "name brand" kid...

:lol: Best ever! :lol: