View Full Version : What To Do Now...

May. 18, 2010, 12:24 PM
I have been half leasing a wonderful horse for the past four years and I really truley do love him. I half lease him from my trainer, so besides getting used by me he also gets used for lessons. When I first started leasing him, he was four and really green (I started him) so I didn't have this problem. But now he is the most saintly lesson horse ever (even though he is only 8)so he gets used a lot.

I show him in the children's hunters, and we have gotten mediocre results for the past two years. He's fancy enough to get decent ribbons at the AA's if I put in a perfect round. I have absolutley no problem with this. However, I have been riding with the same group of four girls ever since I started. Their parents all have enough money to buy them horses, and they have all moved up to juniors and I would really like to join them there, but current lease horse can't make the step to save his life (sometimes has trouble getting the 12' step ).

There is no way my family can afford to buy me a horse, or even full lease a horse (even if it was free lease) becasue my barn costs $850 a month, which unfortunatley is pretty standard for my area. So my only option is to half lease a horse.

I love the current horse, but I feel as if I have stayed in the same spot for a year, and that we aren't going to be getting any better.

So, is it unreasonable to try to find a half lease on a 3'6" horse? And where could I even find one? I would love to do the hunters, but I would do equitation or jumpers. I would even move out of my beloved barn! Or should I just suck it up and stay in the children's for the next 2 years until I go to collage? Do I have an other options?

May. 18, 2010, 12:47 PM
Looking around for another lease isn't going to hurt, especially if you're that motivated to move up. A couple years ago, I was leasing a horse that was just what I needed when I started the lease, but by the end of the lease I felt stuck. She could only show 2'6-2'9 due to her age and I really wanted to move up with my friends, like you say you do. I shopped around, found a cheaper lease on a super scopey horse(although he's kind of a nut and has his own issues), and moved barns. Even though I liked my last barn, I'm happy that I did look around. Just in leasing the new horse and switching barns(only 6months), my riding has improved drastically and I'm jumping higher. Anyways, go look around! See what's out there and if worst comes to worst, you can always stay at your barn and keep leasing your current horse.

May. 18, 2010, 12:49 PM
It certainly can't hurt to look. With the way the economy is right now, a lot of people with really nice horses are looking for ways to offset their monthly expenses. Within my own barn several have decided to look for a half leaser. You may be able to find a hunter rider who wouldn't mind leasing to someone who wants to do the Eq so that there are as few horse show/work load conflicts as possible. Or vice versa.