PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite suppling exercises

fancyfooted
May. 18, 2010, 11:40 AM
I have an awesome, extremely made TB gelding who is now a part of my lesson program. He's really quite uncomplicated to ride, which makes him a great asset. His problem? He leans his entire body weight into your left hand. This is mostly due to slight weakness in his left hind, so we're also doing strengthing exercises such as cavaletti, hill work, etc. However, he does need to loosen up and let go more in his back and really get swinging.

I need some new ideas of suppling exercises to use! Please help!

rabicon
May. 18, 2010, 11:45 AM
My guy likes to hang on the right rein. What we do is start off with just some carrot bends undersaddle at the standstill. I will flex him to where his nose touches my toe and release. I do it a few time back and forth and then we move on to the walk where I do some one rein stops. Same concept you just do it while walking and they come to a complete stop when you flex them to you toe. Then as we continue to work I will loosen his jaw with bend his neck back and forth. I will make him counter flex a little to and back the other direction. Walk/trot transitions also with a half halt before is something else we do. If he loosens up and starts grabbing again during the ride I will go back and flex him back and forth at the walk or trot to loosen him back up. I will also do 20-15 M circles and serpentines are great.