PDA

View Full Version : Centaur or Pessoa Stable Sheet -good fit for large shoulders?

Iride
May. 18, 2010, 10:38 AM
It is an act of futility, it seems, to find a stable sheet that won't pull and rub my poor gelding's shoulder and chest. He's big but not huge - he's just built in such a way that the sheets always slip back and are tight on his shoulders and chest. Causes rubs, looks so uncomfy :(

He has high withers and a big shoulder. He's also long backed. It seems most stable sheets either do not have silk or nylon lining in those areas (or not enough) or they just don't fit this type of conformation.

I recently bought the new-ish cotton Rambo stable sheet (not the Newmarket - another name that I forgot) and had darts put into the shoulders to help the fit. Even then, rubs and pulling.

I looked at Schneiders and none of theirs has nylon or silk lined shoulders.

I've been searching online and I wonder if anyone can provide input on either of these two sheets? 1) Centaur Stable Sheet, or 2) Pessoa Stable Sheet. Links below.... I'm interested in how they FIT comparably, for a horse like this. Both do have nylon shoulders, and gussets. The Pessoa is more $$ though.

Centaur:
http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,6224.html

Pessoa:
http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,5423.html

rugbygirl
May. 18, 2010, 11:10 AM
I'm sorry I am going to suggest one you aren't looking at, but Weatherbeeta has been the best for my large-shouldered horses. My full draft mare (very, very high wither and obviously large shoulder) could wear their size 79. Another good fit was Weaver, but she needed the 84. Weatherbeeta has an AQHA series that seems to fit bulky horses nicely. I really liked how the shoulders and wither were lined in the Orican series, and have also been impressed by the fit in the Landa.

I have one Centaur, the neck fit small and it was tight in the front end. No good. :no:

And of course, pegasusequine.com makes extremely affordable custom blankets, I was thrilled with mine, they stood up quite well. The stable blanket I purchased was quite nice.

Iride
May. 18, 2010, 11:11 AM
Update ... so I actually just bought something else - the SmartPak Stable Sheet. It had a lot of reviews, most saying that it fit well in the shoulders (one review said it could use even more, but the sheet has gussets AND nylon shoulders, so I think it will be an improvement). Wish me luck - if this one doesn't work I'll be trying the Centaur or Pessoa. *sigh* I hate this! It's almost as bad as saddle fitting with this horse!

Here's the SmartPak one that I just ordered:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...tclassid=1970& (http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productclassid=1970&)

Iride
May. 18, 2010, 11:12 AM
Rugbygirl, just saw your reply. I like the Weatherbeeta fit too, I don't know why I didn't look at those. (Do they have nylon shoulders though? Don't remember).

In any case, if the SmartPak doesn't work, I will definitely look into Weatherbeeta.

DuffyAgain
May. 18, 2010, 11:13 AM
I got the Pessoa stable BLANKET for my wide, long, large WB and I love it. I can't speak to their sheets.

rugbygirl
May. 18, 2010, 11:14 AM
Weatherbeeta has gone a little fancy with the shoulder/wither area linings. Almost like padded shims at the wither, and nice slippery lining over the shoulder. There was a big difference in the one I bought 4 years ago (still kickin') and the one I bought last winter (sold with the horse :no:)

rugbygirl
May. 18, 2010, 11:18 AM
I have a Pessoa fly sheet, and I was really disappointed in it. It fit really small, maybe a bigger size would have worked better, but I had it on my slim-build TB and it was a terrible fit. It was fine length-wise, but tight everywhere else...and SHORT! It was also poorly made, the fabric was too light for an outdoor blanket. I went with a Centaur (I think) fly sheet for him, and it was constructed much better and lasted the entire summer.

Iride
May. 18, 2010, 11:22 AM
rugbygirl, I couldn't find the Weatherbeeta you speak of online. Strange I know! Do you have a link by any chance?

rugbygirl
May. 18, 2010, 11:30 AM
http://www.weatherbeeta.com/weatherbeeta-420d-quarter-horse-cut-sheet-open-front.html

Here's the Orican, they call those shims "wither relief"

http://www.weatherbeeta.com/weatherbeeta-orican-freestyle-standard-neck-lite.html

It's a turnout, but I have found that Weatherbeeta sizes their products consistently, so I bet the stable sheet fits similarly.

JBCool
May. 18, 2010, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't recommend a Centaur for a wide-shouldered horse. My appendix QH with real QH shoulders has a Centaur fly sheet and it fits great from the withers back. Unfortunately, my boyfriend and I are currently having to try to retrofit the front with wither lining and an extension in front. :(

My guy's winter blanket is a Weatherbeeta and fits him great. I'd look in that direction if I were doing this again.

findeight
May. 18, 2010, 12:22 PM
Like electronics and most other things, there are only a few places that actually manufacter these things. They just put a designer logo on the same old blanket they market under other names.

I had great luck with Weatherbeeta over the years...and have some other, lesser known brands that worked well that are suspiciousy exactly the same in cut and fit. Might want to see who manufacters that SmartPak brand, if they will share that.

I also had great luck with odd shaped shoulders from Big D that is largely a QH brand, if they are still around under the same name.

In general, I found it helpful to go up a size with those hard to fit instead of springing for the fancy linings and what not...and gussets won't help if it is too tight around the neck opening on the top along the hem, that is where you get the withers rubs.

I have a Baker with lined shoulders I never bought-showed up on my blanket rack after the home barn hosted a show. My unlined went home with whoever owned the lined one I now have, I guess. No names on either. Whatever, it appears to be a size larger then horse measures just like the other one was. It works.

rugbygirl
May. 18, 2010, 02:09 PM
Big D blankets are NICE. I can't remember which brand is basically a copy/different logo...

And I am pretty sure there are Weatherbeeta-esque blankets too...but I think they are copies, because I honestly haven't tried a blanket (besides my custom ones) that is as high quality. Then again, we don't have the largest selection where I live.

Iride
May. 18, 2010, 05:42 PM
The SmartPak sheet should be here tomorrow, plus I'm buying the Weatherbeeta at the tack store... if neither of those work, I will try the Big D quarter horse sheet.

Crosses fingers :)

LARGEBORE
May. 19, 2010, 07:43 AM
Pessoa fits really really well.
As far as Rugyby girls fly sheet? huh? Pessoa does not offer a fly sheet ?

rugbygirl
May. 19, 2010, 12:52 PM
^ I have a dark green sheet, made of mesh, in my hand, that says "Pessoa." Has little "P"s all over the bindings. I bought it last year, and as I mentioned, it kind of sucks.

Style: Pessoa-FLY
Model number: 8090-09/72

Maybe it's a counterfeit Pessoa!! OMG. All the name-brand snobs are going to laugh at me.

Dramapony_misty
May. 19, 2010, 01:04 PM
Maybe it's a counterfeit Pessoa!! OMG. All the name-brand snobs are going to laugh at me.

Are you sure it doesn't say Passoa? :lol:

Where did you buy it? I think I want to get a Devocoux saddle and pair of Der Deu field boots! :-P

rugbygirl
May. 19, 2010, 02:00 PM
^ it was this super nice guy on a street corner. He had a whole bunch of name-brand equine merchandise for super cheap! He said it fell off a truck...