PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a new barn and hunter trainer in Aldie, Middleburg, Leesburg

Bara
May. 17, 2010, 10:09 PM
Hi everyone!
I am relocated back to the area after being away for a few years and am desperately searching for a new place to call my barn home. We will be living in Aldie, so ideally no further than 20 minutes away.
I have fairly green OTTB, who is coming along wonderfully since I bought him last year, so I am really looking for an awesome place to continue to learn, grow and begin a show career.
My husband is just getting into the saddle as well, so I would LOVE to have a place were he can begin his riding career also.( some men at the barn would be a big plus for him :D )
I love my barn here in Colorado so much, its become my other family. We are very dedicated to our riding and horses, but also never forget to have fun along the way :)
Thank you! So happy to be back in my beloved Virginia!

mroades
May. 17, 2010, 10:12 PM
My folks settled on Jeff Woodall at Stonegate Stables after trying out several barns in that exact area.

NoExcuses
May. 18, 2010, 12:29 AM
Dale Crittenberger Peter Foley, Jenny Graham, Jenny Edwards. Good Luck

Bara
May. 18, 2010, 12:43 AM
My folks settled on Jeff Woodall at Stonegate Stables after trying out several barns in that exact area.

I heard they don't turn their horses out at Stone Gate. Is it true? :confused:
My gelding needs his play/ turn out time!

Bara
May. 18, 2010, 12:46 AM
I have been hearing great things about Pete Foley :) Any ideas how much he charges? Feel free to PM me. Thanks guys!

Anyplace Farm
May. 18, 2010, 07:13 AM
I heard they don't turn their horses out at Stone Gate. Is it true? :confused:
My gelding needs his play/ turn out time!
Of course they turn them out. If the fields are slick, they don't and instead rotate them in some smaller, sand enclosures you can't see from the road.

sar2008
May. 18, 2010, 07:59 AM
There are numerous threads on good NOVA trainers on here. Do a search, and you will find loads of names!

sar2008
May. 18, 2010, 08:00 AM
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245296&highlight=NoVa+trainer

Here is 3 pages worth of responses....

briddygirl
May. 18, 2010, 08:04 AM
My daughter's trainer is Ashley Lindo out of Stonegate.....she's very hand's-on and willing to go the extra mile.....and Stonegate is fab!

HunterRider992
May. 18, 2010, 04:17 PM

Please do not go with Jeff Woodall. I know several less than flattering things about him. PM me if you want to know.

Peter Foley is my choice in that area.

jse
May. 18, 2010, 06:10 PM
Please do not go with Jeff Woodall. I know several less than flattering things about him. PM me if you want to know.

Peter Foley is my choice in that area.

Since when did Jeff move to Stonegate???

Anyplace Farm
May. 18, 2010, 08:02 PM
Is it me or is it just a little odd that almost every time we see a thread pop up about people searching for barns in the Aldie area that they are 'Greenie' posters?

Why do people make new screen names to ask this question? Hmmm...:confused:

Bara
May. 18, 2010, 08:20 PM
I don’t know about anyone else, but I am legitimately new to this forum and new to living in Aldie - which of course, means truthfully just researching and hoping for genuine responses :)

Thanks to everyone that did! :)

Is it me or is it just a little odd that almost every time we see a thread pop up about people searching for barns in the Aldie area that they are 'Greenie' posters?

Equinoxfox
May. 19, 2010, 12:24 PM
You are so correct in that Anyplace. ;)
It really makes me wonder what is going on and why ?
And besides.. I know Stonegate. and the owners and the trainer Jeff Woodhall.;)
I have nothing but good things to say .
As for this topic.
It is all Gossip Mills and Rumors.
If you have questions why not just go to the facilty and talk to the Owners and Trainer for yourself.
What a better way to get an opinion than that . :yes:
Best of luck to you .

Rockfish
May. 19, 2010, 01:46 PM
Dale Crittenberger Peter Foley

SECONDED!

Equinoxfox
May. 19, 2010, 03:13 PM
I ride over with Dale and Peter. AND THEY ARE SUPER , FANTASTIC, WONDERFUL, and VERY SUCCESSFUL. :cool:

And, have known Jeff Woodhall for so many years! What a super guy to train with . Which BTW,, is directly across the street from Peter !!!!:lol:

LexInVA
May. 19, 2010, 03:24 PM

Do you really want the answer or are you just looking for an excuse to drink?

Anyplace Farm
May. 19, 2010, 03:53 PM
Do you really want the answer or are you just looking for an excuse to drink?
I'm going to pretend that was your attempt at humor, since, while we haven't met in person, you 'sort of' know me and know I'm not a drinker. I can't think of anything on this ridiculous discussion board that would cause me to drink either in sorrow or in celebration.

That said, when it comes to answering my own question on these sort of threads, I pretty much already know the answer. Just seemed suspect to me that Jeff has come there recently, that a person, who used to live here would have to be familiar with the area, yet she posts asking people about it. And if she once lived in this area, she knows the Chronicle is here. If you live here, you know about these forums. And, you most likely have screen name. Which means, you'd carry that same screen name from VA to CO. Yet, a new one was created.

I don't need her to defend herself, really. In fact, I'm not even pointing a finger at her. It's just gotten to the point were this thread gets started at least once a quarter and it turns into a mudfest. We're all going to have our opinions but I think we all learned back in high school that we need to form our own. Yes, it is good to collect information from sources who have had both bad and good experiences but I never think it is a good idea to start sharing bad experiences in an open forum. It is too small of a community here. Certainly, I've learned my lesson from doing it in the past. It never feels good.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 19, 2010, 06:18 PM
Having spoken via PM with the OP, I'm fairly certain she was serious about the question and not trying to stir up drama. At least, I hope so :)

Also having shared a ring (well, two) with Jeff for the last month and a half I can say he's a consummate professional.

LexInVA
May. 19, 2010, 07:35 PM
I'm going to pretend that was your attempt at humor, since, while we haven't met in person, you 'sort of' know me and know I'm not a drinker. I can't think of anything on this ridiculous discussion board that would cause me to drink either in sorrow or in celebration.

That said, when it comes to answering my own question on these sort of threads, I pretty much already know the answer. Just seemed suspect to me that Jeff has come there recently, that a person, who used to live here would have to be familiar with the area, yet she posts asking people about it. And if she once lived in this area, she knows the Chronicle is here. If you live here, you know about these forums. And, you most likely have screen name. Which means, you'd carry that same screen name from VA to CO. Yet, a new one was created.

I don't need her to defend herself, really. In fact, I'm not even pointing a finger at her. It's just gotten to the point were this thread gets started at least once a quarter and it turns into a mudfest. We're all going to have our opinions but I think we all learned back in high school that we need to form our own. Yes, it is good to collect information from sources who have had both bad and good experiences but I never think it is a good idea to start sharing bad experiences in an open forum. It is too small of a community here. Certainly, I've learned my lesson from doing it in the past. It never feels good.

I only know you in passing and certainly not well enough to know what you eat and drink or don't for that matter. As for my question to you, yes it was a subtle attempt at humor, but it was also a not-so-subtle commentary about the local scene and what goes on behind the smiles.

mroades
May. 19, 2010, 07:48 PM
I have known both Jeff and Peter for a very long time, and they are both great. And there are LOTS if great trainers in that one area, you just have to pick the flavor that works for you!

Bara
May. 19, 2010, 09:22 PM
Wow! I didn't know posting, what seemingly was an honest inquiry, would stir up so much trouble! :no:
I was truthfully intersted in peoples advice. I know everyone has strong opinions (esp. in the horsey world) and it can get sticky with questions like this - but, I am happy to have read some lovely responses from people who were welcoming and honest. One of our primary reasons for moving back to Virginia was for the horses (we thought about just buying a farmette, but I quickly realized how much I would miss the stable environment and having friends around to ride and learn from) so, although I am dissapointed that some people on here were thinking dubious thoughts about my post, its so nice to have received some friendly PM's from fellow riders and some trainers :) (Hope I get the chance to meet you all)
Its true that you just have to go out and get a feel for youself and see what feels right. (clicking with your trainer and feeing good about the barn culture, etc.)
Overall, it looks like Woodhall and Stonegate are the favorites. :)

Thanks again guys, next time I will just post advice on breeches, or supplements or something. :lol:
or maybe the best tack shop :D that suggestion is welcome ;)

mroades
May. 19, 2010, 09:35 PM
maybe you will meet my folks, they are moving up there in July!

Bara
May. 19, 2010, 09:44 PM
It is a small community! and I have no intentions of pretending to be someone that I am not or starting out a new life on the wrong foot ( for the record, I have been away from Virginia since, 2002 and not riding since, 1999 -I came from leasing horses all my life in Great Falls and Mclean and
I got back in the saddle three years ago in Colorado, after finally convincing my husband that I needed to start ridng again - good man. :) ) So, with that said, I was not ever familiar with this forum or with riding life in Loundoun County in general. I was 19 when I stopped riding in '99, so as a late teenager, I had no idea about anything other than my small circle of horsey friends - didnt even show then, I was simply happy being at the barn and just riding around.
I cant believe I am even defending myself on here :confused:
Oh well! I am happy to do it and show that I am not anyone other than me...and that is just someone happy to be back and excited to see what new life in Aldie has in store.
:winkgrin:

Equinoxfox
May. 20, 2010, 08:41 AM
Good Morning Fellow COTH'ers . IT is time for coffee. NOW .
Have a great Day .! and YES there are plenty of trainers but the BEST have been mentioned here. ;)

GreenMachine
May. 20, 2010, 09:33 AM
I must have missed all of the recent drama surrounding NOVA-related threads that sparked the above discussion. And that makes me sad, because I love watching a good forum trainwreck. ;)

OP, while you're in the area visiting barns, please also visit my trainer: Michael Bertozzi at Cavallo Farm (http://www.cavallofarm.com). I've been riding at Cavallo for almost ten years now, and I've enjoyed it the whole time. Michael is great with working with greenies--in fact, we have several adults in the barn working with green horses right now, so you'd have a support group. There are also a couple of husband-safe schoolies for your husband to start his riding career on. We've got a great group of dedicated, low drama adults right now, and we're always glad to have more people join the fun.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. Good luck with your search!

Bara
May. 20, 2010, 10:03 AM
To Aldie? Great! I hope so :)

maybe you will meet my folks, they are moving up there in July!