PDA

View Full Version : Praxis II-English Content Knowledge

dghunter
May. 17, 2010, 08:58 PM
Has anyone taken this praxis? Any tips or advice for taking praxis tests in general? I'm taking the English one June 12. I'm kind of nervous but kind of not, it's hard to explain lol. I'm sure I'll get more nervous as it gets closer. I've started doing flashcards and ordered a couple books but that's it so far.

HenryisBlaisin'
May. 17, 2010, 09:36 PM
I have, but it was about nine or ten years ago. At that time, it was totally hit or miss as far as what was on it-it asked questions about different literary works, and if you hadn't read them, you were pretty much SOL. I'd go to the library, ask for the local high school's reading list, and read as many of them as you can. I remember content questions from To Kill A Mockingbird, A Raisin In the Sun, A Tale of Two Cities, something by Shakespeare, and I think Fahrenheit 451, among several others I can't recall. I got a 194 out of 200, but I think it totally hinges on what you have read and what works that particular test asks about.

dghunter
May. 17, 2010, 09:42 PM
That's what I've heard. I know from the last testing day, one girl had like six pages of grammar and another one had almost no grammar but a whole bunch of poetry. Poetry is what I have the least experience in so I'm the most nervous for any poetry related questions.

I've read quite a few books on the local list but there are a bunch that I haven't. Ohio's passing score is 167 so I just have to shoot for that lol.

Meredith Clark
May. 17, 2010, 10:31 PM
You'll do fine! Good luck :yes:

dani0303
May. 17, 2010, 10:53 PM
Running the risk of feeling ignorant, I feel the need to ask what the Praxis is.

dghunter
May. 17, 2010, 11:02 PM
Haha you're not ignorant, I just forget that not everyone is a teacher or education major :lol: It's the test for teachers to get their license. I have to take one for my content area, which is English. It has all types of English type questions from literary passages to grammar to whatever else they feel the need to test us on :lol:

dani0303
May. 17, 2010, 11:39 PM
So it's like the BAR exam for teachers?

dghunter
May. 18, 2010, 08:47 AM
I'm not exactly sure what the BAR exam is, other than I know it's for lawyers before they can practice. I have to pass mine before I can do any student teaching so in theory I'm thinking it's similar. Mine is all multiple choice though (so I have at least a 1/4 chance of getting it right! :lol:)

SarahandSam
May. 18, 2010, 09:07 AM
In NY we have to take a different content specialty test, but my student teacher this semester took the English PRAXIS and said it was much harder than she expected--mostly because it asked so many questions about literature content knowledge rather than skills, which ours is more based on. She had a question where they gave a passage and you had to identify the author--in this case, it was from "Ulysses," which I only read portions of, and I took a whole summer of Irish literature in Dublin! So I would suggest maybe at least reading a summary/brief synopsis and maybe an excerpt of most of the major authors and poets, just to get a sense of their style, if you haven't read them before... it seems like a very difficult test to actually study for. Good luck!

dghunter
May. 18, 2010, 05:34 PM
In NY we have to take a different content specialty test, but my student teacher this semester took the English PRAXIS and said it was much harder than she expected--mostly because it asked so many questions about literature content knowledge rather than skills, which ours is more based on. She had a question where they gave a passage and you had to identify the author--in this case, it was from "Ulysses," which I only read portions of, and I took a whole summer of Irish literature in Dublin! So I would suggest maybe at least reading a summary/brief synopsis and maybe an excerpt of most of the major authors and poets, just to get a sense of their style, if you haven't read them before... it seems like a very difficult test to actually study for. Good luck!

Don't even get me started on my opinion of the questions they ask :mad: How is having me be able to identify who wrote a passage going to help me be a good teacher?

I have been reading the summaries on sparknotes of the major works they recommend being familiar with so hopefully that will help :confused: I'll post on next OT day when I get my score, how I did :yes:

rugbygirl
May. 18, 2010, 05:51 PM
How is having me be able to identify who wrote a passage going to help me be a good teacher?

My sister just graduated with a BFA in Jazz Performance (drums)...one of her classes had her memorizing the names and tracks of ALL the discology for basically every significant Jazz musician in the history of the genre.

That's...that's as asinine as taking a "Rules and Theory" course on baseball, and having you memorize player stats for the past 50 years. For all the teams.

--

I am an engineer...we mostly just had to memorize the formulae that were too abstract to derive from first principles! Ah...Differential Calc III...how poorly I understood thee.

^ that counts as "poetry" for an engineer :D

RunningwaterWBs
May. 18, 2010, 10:07 PM
In 2003, when I took Praxis II in English, it seemed a fair blend of grammar, identification of both authors and literary terms, and responses to three texts (in the essay section). One of the essays was a Roethke poem I'd written an entire paper about, so I got lucky there, but the other two were excerpts from novels I wasn't familiar with.

Basically, the essay section asks you to respond to and analyze texts, just as you'll be asking your students to do eventually. I didn't find the test biased toward any category. If you know your stuff, it's a breeze. I finished a full 30 minutes early and got a very high score. But then, I also had six years of graduate study in English under my belt.

I did feel a bit bad for some of the others taking it. They were completely flustered by the test and ran out of time. I suspect these were people who had studied education rather than English specifically.

Best of luck!

dghunter
May. 18, 2010, 10:14 PM
In 2003, when I took Praxis II in English, it seemed a fair blend of grammar, identification of both authors and literary terms, and responses to three texts (in the essay section). One of the essays was a Roethke poem I'd written an entire paper about, so I got lucky there, but the other two were excerpts from novels I wasn't familiar with.

Basically, the essay section asks you to respond to and analyze texts, just as you'll be asking your students to do eventually. I didn't find the test biased toward any category. If you know your stuff, it's a breeze. I finished a full 30 minutes early and got a very high score. But then, I also had six years of graduate study in English under my belt.

I did feel a bit bad for some of the others taking it. They were completely flustered by the test and ran out of time. I suspect these were people who had studied education rather than English specifically.

Best of luck!

The one I'm taking doesn't have essays thank God! It's just 120 multiple choice questions. It's the 0041 test I believe. I'm English Education so I've taken about 10 education courses and probably 10-15 English courses at least. I've almost got the literary terms down. There were a few that I'd never really seen before (apostrophe, caesura, etc...) so I've been working on those. I started the linguistics flashcards tonight. I've been working on the literary works slowly. I'm going to take a practice test soon to see how I do now and then retake it closer to test time to see what areas I'm still lacking in. We'll see! I'll definitely need the luck so thanks :yes:

bioteach
May. 19, 2010, 12:43 AM
Haven't taken the English one but did take the Praxis (for Biology). Mine was fairly easy, though I have heard the English one is tough. I'm sure you'll do great though - best of luck on the Praxis as well as student teaching! I loved my students for student teaching and that's what most indicated to me that this is the career for me. I hope you have that feeling, too!

HunttoLive
May. 19, 2010, 06:40 AM
The Praxis II for Math and for Business were both pretty easy. I would expect that English would be along the same lines of difficulty. The Business test was actually more focused on the terminology of business clubs and things like that. So as long as you knew the terminology they used, it was pretty easy.

I'd second checking out the reading lists that High Schools use in the states that use PRAXIS.