PDA

View Full Version : Stirrup Leathers to Match Bates Saddle

make x it x so
May. 17, 2010, 08:58 PM
I did a search of the forums and found a lot of threads about stirrup leathers, but none quite answered my question. Does anyone know of a brand of leathers that matches the caramel color of Bates saddles, other than the Bates leathers?

My issue with my Bates leathers is that the leather wore away from the nylon interior and now they look really ugly because strips of nylon are showing.

I'd rather have leathers that stretch a bit than leathers that fall apart with regular riding!

What brands are good to match a caramel Bates saddle? traditional leather is fine by me, or if anyone knows of a non-stretch brand that will not rip apart, I'd be okay with that too. I'd prefer to not pay a fortune, but right now I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks!
And sorry I said this in far more words than were necessary!

S1969
May. 17, 2010, 09:15 PM
I have Toulouse leathers on my Bates saddle and I like the way they look, although they are rather thick so adjusting while in the saddle is a pain. But otherwise I like them.

OneMoreTime
May. 17, 2010, 09:54 PM
I had Gary Mundy make custom leathers - he matched the Carmel color nicely, and made them to my exact specifications (e.g., length, # of holes, hole spacing, etc.), all for less than $60 for a pair! They're the traditional "leather" (not nylon lined) & are amazing craftsmanship. I asked him to sign the back of them & he graciously obliged. he takes orders via e-mail. I'm sure a search of this forum will yield his contact info. I can's recommend him highly enough.

jn4jenny
May. 17, 2010, 11:03 PM
You won't like the price tag, but the Prestige leathers in Tobacco are a perfect match.

They also wear like iron. I sold my Bates nearly 3 years ago, and my Prestige leathers are still tickin' on another saddle. No signs of wearing or stretching. The up-front cost was ugly, but compared to my friends who have since gone through 3-4 pairs of leathers...

luckeys71
May. 18, 2010, 02:53 PM
So I'm not the only one with problems with Bates leathers. Can't say I've been a fan of mine. I got a brand new set when I bought my Bates Elevation H and it was no time before the leather started to wear off at the stitching down the sides and now both edges are starting to peel off. Not the most expensive leathers out there, but not close to the cheapest ones. I had bought inexpensive leathers for my first saddle, a million years ago. Seriously, like 20 years ago. I've had the buckle ends stitched back on both of them, but they are still usable and were in use until I bought the Bates. Maybe I'll go back to them.