PDA

View Full Version : First time horse show "mom"- need suggestions

iechris
May. 17, 2010, 11:46 AM
This weekend the barn I ride at is going to a horse show. We're all adults so no one has a real horse show mom. I volunteered to go and help being "mom" as I'm not quite ready for prime time yet.

I'm planning on bringing some nuts, some power bars, diet Vitamin Water, water, a couple of light whites, some diet coke and I'm ready to be on my feet all day.

Any suggestions, advice, what do I need to bring, etc.

MyGiantPony
May. 17, 2010, 11:47 AM
chocolate, vodka, OJ

Lucassb
May. 17, 2010, 11:51 AM
Sunblock, Aleve, clean towels, H2O... adult beverages for afterward...

Hunter Mom
May. 17, 2010, 11:59 AM
Chairs, chocolate, cooler with ice...

eclipse
May. 17, 2010, 11:59 AM
And I'll 3rd the adult beverages for afterwards! :lol: There's nothing better than sitting around after a day of showing, laughing & talking about the goofy things (& sometimes great things) that you've done during the show day with that bevarage in hand! :D

SmartAlex
May. 17, 2010, 12:09 PM
Cooler with ice, even if it's small, handi wipes, female supplies

A small garbage bag or two. It seems I always have use for a garbage bag. :yes:

Umbrella. If you don't bring rain gear, it will rain. Don't jinx it.

Go Fish
May. 17, 2010, 01:01 PM
Kleenex...

How nice of you to bring all that stuff! Will you come be my mom? :D

BeaSting
May. 17, 2010, 01:05 PM
Spare set of reins, crop, girth - because chances are good someone may need them.

RockinHorse
May. 17, 2010, 01:06 PM
Any suggestions, advice, what do I need to bring, etc.

A sense of humor :D.

HuntJumpSC
May. 17, 2010, 01:06 PM
A golf towel to snap to your belt loop: for last minute boot wipe & horse boogies. Safety pins/travel sewing kit (you just never know) :)

headsupheelsdown
May. 17, 2010, 01:22 PM
A TON of praise and support, too!

InWhyCee Redux
May. 17, 2010, 05:28 PM
More Diet Coke, more adult beverages, WET WIPES (for hands, boots, hooves, tack), more sunblock, hairnets, bobby pins, hair gel (useful for both horse and human hair), rubber bands, PAINKILLERS, more Diet Coke.

blackcat95
May. 17, 2010, 05:33 PM
Extra hair nets, extra gloves, extra halter/ lead rope/ reins/ girth, double end staps (just in case), something caffeinated, lots of water, cooler with ice, snack type foods ie watermelon and chips, towels!

And don't forget a grooming box and tack cleaning supplies! These always are invariably forgotten...

jaslyn1701
May. 17, 2010, 07:02 PM
I have been "Show Mom" for my barn for about the last five years. Here's my routine (and yes, I know it's extreme!)
We always haul in the afternoon before the show: I make sure stalls are set up (shavings, water and feed buckets), that all horses have water and hay and help with schooling, as in play "jump crew" when needed.

I am the first one at the barn on show day. I make sure all ponies have water and hay. At the appointed time, I dump feed. My opinion is that my trainer has horses to show, riders to school, etc., and should not have to worry about feeding and watering horses.

I cook breakfast (electric griddle and electric frying pan). We have fresh brewed coffee, scrambled eggs w/cheese and hash browns or home fries and sausage. I also have fruit, bananas and apples.

Rider Aid: i.e. Mimosas

While breakfast is cooking, I make sure that all of the horses that go first are unwrapped, groomed, etc. I help the rider if needed. I make sure my trainers first horse has wraps pulled, groomed, feet picked etc.

Make sure everybody has their number; jumpers are pinned to pads.

I nag everybody until they eat!!!!!

Show Bag: contains treat for ponies, water etc. for riders, hoof pick, soft brush, rags (at least 2 - bar towels are great!))[in summer there is a bag with ice cubes and a rag]; wipes; crop in back pocket if needed, at least 2 more rags hooked through belt loops of pants. These come in handy if the others get used or you need one to put over a jump.

Keep an eye on rings - example: If we have riders in jumpers and kids in cross rails, they may conflict. Cross rail ring will need to know that trainer has not abandoned kids, will be there.

On a break, make sure stalls are picked and all horses have water and hay.

Be prepared to walk (I once did 5 miles at a local show).

While the riders are in charge of their own horses, I do take care of my trainers horses, especially if she gets off and heads to another ring to coach another rider.

Adult beverages for the end of the day. This is essential!

Be supportive - even when.......

Have fun, prepare to be exhausted and foot sore, but know that you helped your barn have a successful day!

jaslyn1701
May. 17, 2010, 07:03 PM
Neglected to add - big cooler with lots of ice and drinks.

MunchingonHay
May. 17, 2010, 07:15 PM
everyone keeps saying diet drinks, but to be honest, if its really hot and the riders are working hard; you will need that sugar. Being a groom I cannot count how many times I have felt my bloodsugar drop, and it drops fast.
I second: pins, safety and bobby, rubber bands towels, and will add; veggie tray or any type of finger foods that you would not mind eating with slightly dirty hands. WET WIPES, sunscreen (the spray kind), more towels, folding chairs, some type of table, even if its a bale of hay. Have fun!

DandyMatiz
May. 17, 2010, 07:19 PM
"girl" products... stress and excitement can bring along "aunt flo".. learned that the hard way. And it's not fun to have to go around asking for those lol.. (well wasnt fun when i was 13.. now i probably wouldn't be as embarrassed).. Pen and notebook... just in case someone needs a number written down, etc. Tylenol. Aloe Gel in case anyone gets a touch of sunburn. Wipes for glasses or saline (contacts) if anyone has glasses or contacts is a nice touch.

OneMoreTime
May. 17, 2010, 07:34 PM
And a camera.

moms take a lot of pictures, and many adult riders don't have many candid photos of them with their horses b/c nobody is taking them :)

Quin
May. 17, 2010, 10:03 PM
Chocolate is yummy but not such a good idea if the weather is warm. You want to be able to hand a quick snack to a rider who is mounted and waiting....and waiting....and waiting to go. Nothing too sticky or gooey. Small candies like Smarties are great for an instant sugar fix.

If you have 5 people, always bring food for 8 and drinks for 10. Trust me on this.

Peanut butter crackers are easy and keep well.

Camera would be awesome.

Rags, a spray bottle of Leather New, a spray bottle of Show Sheen, a spray bottle of Cowboy Magic, a spare show crop. Hair net. Bobby pins. Safety pins for "wardrobe failures".

Dappled Grey
May. 17, 2010, 10:18 PM
Lots of great comments already! I'd add that your trainer will greatly appreciate if you make sure everyone is wearing their number when they head to the ring and try to help keep track of schedules at various rings when she/he can't be everywhere at once.

How nice of you!

iechris
May. 17, 2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions so far! Sunscreen and wet wipes are duhs, but I'd totally forgotten about them. Kleenex, yes as it is majore allergy season down here and great idea about aspirin (it is a major "end of the world" emergency if I'm somewhere without Excedrian). As for spare tack... I'm horseless and tack-less so they will be on their own there. Adult beverages I can do as, hope they all like wine (maybe I should bring a few beers too). And I'll bring the camera too.

allpurpose
May. 17, 2010, 11:05 PM
Don't forget to take care of yourself! Bring a few layers of clothing for hot/cold/wet weather. You'll want to change in the afternoon into cooler/warmer/dryer clothes. Bring a change of socks and shoes - your feet will thank you!

Don't be afraid to sneak away for a few minutes now and then to take some time for yourself. You'll feel refreshed and ready to take on a few more hours of groom duties!

Try to stay in the shade as much as possible. Bring a backpack for ringside snacks, wipes, towels, water, etc... Make sure you eat sensibly and hydrate yourself!

You are so kind to do this for your barn! I hope they show their appreciation! We'd love to have you in our barn anytime!:yes:

Mukluk
May. 18, 2010, 12:34 AM
How wonderful of you do be the show mom!!! It is so difficult to show on one's own. Some essential items (not that you should necessarily provide them, but nice to have on hand).

Plenty of rags
Baby wipes
Fly spray
safety pins
leather wipes (last minute touch ups)
hairnets (I personally hate them but everyone else uses them).
Extra equipment (bridles, reins, girths)
Show sheen
Green spot remover!
Cordless clippers for any touchups (little wimpy ones should be fine)
Cornstarch for white markings
Hay, water, carrots, treats for the horses
calm relaxed demeanor!
sense of humor
AM: coffee, OJ
PM: Beer or other yummy drinks.

Have fun. Again WONDERFUL of you to do this!!!

NoExcuses
May. 18, 2010, 12:59 AM
Adult beverage.
Really, check in advance what the trainers wants.
Often a camera, extra clothes, drinks, water, sports drinks. COMFORTABLE shoes, you may be called on to hold the horse for a few minutes! Cell phones or two way radios. Extra schedule, sewing kit, pins for lost numbers. Crate for dog, or leash
Kids are often far more nervous that you can tell. Sometimes the parents at the gate can put a bit of extra stress on the rider. At times the trainer might want you to clean up boots, paint toes, a quick, "good luck and have fun".
Pen to write names on the back of ribbons. Also, be sure to let the trainer know if a very young rider is doing the potty dance. The trainer may not know that non verbal signal.
Have fun, tape the over fences, and tell your child how proud you are of your pony and rider.

Rhyadawn
May. 18, 2010, 01:57 AM
For me, being a show mom starts the night before. All my riders get a bottle of gatorade with strict instructions to drink it before bed. The next day I pack 2 bottles for each person (stays in a cooler in the car) and just pump as much water into them as I can. If I see them looking dry after the water then its time for more gatorade because they have sweated out all the salt.

I keep everyone's schedules. If they want to be up at 4am to braid then I will make sure they are up and often keep them company (camping chair and coffee are not optional). If we are trailering in the day before then things change a little, but most times we don't.

My checklist (improvised from memory)
The night before:
- gatorade
- truck and trailer packed (extra reins, girth, halter, couple leads)

My survival bag
- everyone's spare set of sunglasses
- granola bars
- two-bite brownies
- water bottles for everyone
- sunscreen (oil free)
- aloe (very small bottle)
- towels (I buy towels at walmart, a dozen for $5 when they are on sale)
- wipes
- extra gloves
- string and scissors
- soft brush
- feminin supplies (I also usually am given bags containing a spare set of bottom undergarments from everyone. My barn is paranoid and the trailer is too far away in an emergency).
- spare crop
- spare set of baby spurs

I usually keep a cooler close by that I can use as a chair, and the majority of the water bottles and snacks go in there, but some of them stay in the bag.

SmartAlex
May. 18, 2010, 08:57 AM
Boy, there are a couple of pros here! Even I've learned something :cool:

theinstigator
May. 18, 2010, 09:05 AM
Wow you guys sound like AWESOME horse show moms! :)

InWhyCee Redux
May. 18, 2010, 01:07 PM
Extra BATTERIES for the camera — my digital camera inhales batteries.

bits619
May. 18, 2010, 09:55 PM
I think just as important as *what* you bring, is what you bring it IN. It's been eons since I stepped hoof into a show ring, but i do remember the feeling of having too many things and not enough hands, esp if my mom or aunt wasn't able to come along for support/gear transportation ;)

Big tote bags, reusable bags the groceries are now selling are wonderful, etc. If you can, get everything together (or visualize) that you think you'll be carrying around (ie, things that will follow horse&rider to show ring, away from the trailer home base). Can you carry it all easily enough, without juggling too much?
Also, pack things in a way that make sense- wet wipes with the snacks, leather spray with towels, medications/feminine supplies all together, and schedule, prize lists, extra pen, safety pins together, etc.

Have fun! You'll be a huge help to your friends!!

danceronice
May. 19, 2010, 10:46 AM
Wet wipes. (Just in case it didn't sink in.) Mom used them on my boots and on the horse in the warmup, either to get the dust off, or just to cool him off a bit if it was a hot day.

When we were doing fair every year, the BEST drink ever was the lemonade shake-ups--basically water, ice, sugar, and one or two lemons squeezed and then all shaken up. They were PERFECT when the day was hot (we never took our hunt coats off) and we were baking in the warm-up. You really, really do need the real-sugar kick, and (non-processed) lemonade is much better than carbonated soda.