PDA

View Full Version : What do you love about your horse

Mukluk
May. 16, 2010, 11:07 PM
Hi. I love my horse. I love that she follows me around the arena (if she is sufficiently bored). When she is turned out, every so often she trots or gallops up to me as if to say "Hi Mom!" I love that I can lead her around by the mane. I love that she is always up for a gallop. I love that she is beautiful, friendly, and amazingly athletic. I think it is very cute how she sticks her tongue out to the side when she anticipates food! I love that she listens to me (ears are always flicking back toward me). OK your turn!

Aerial
May. 16, 2010, 11:10 PM
I love my pony because he is as cute as all get-out!!! :D

No, really, I just love him because he's such a sweet-heart...smart, but not the type that always tries to get your number.

billiebob
May. 16, 2010, 11:39 PM
I love my horse because he's a sweetie. He's got personality--he lets himself out of his stall every chance he gets, he nuzzles barn cats and tries to nuzzle the goat (when he's not spooking at her). He gives me kisses after good rides. He jumps whatever I point him at without a lot of thought even if I hesitate. Sometimes he gets bored and jumps ground poles and sunspots. His canter is awesome. He's a good trail horse. I've done all his off-track reschooling myself (with my trainer helping from the ground) and it's really starting to come together. And to top it off, he's a good looking boy.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
May. 16, 2010, 11:46 PM
I love that my horse can do complicated lateral work followed by derby courses, then do this to cool out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPs_xx4Cc7Q

barrelchick00
May. 17, 2010, 12:17 AM
I love my boy because he gives me kisses when I come to the barn. He has a sweet personality and loves everyone. He trusts me more everyday and he has helped build my confidence in myself as well as him. Oh and he's adorable!!!

Dakotawyatt
May. 17, 2010, 07:19 AM
Unlike most of y'all, my horse is NOT sweet, haha! He's very much a punk.:lol: He doesn't mind standing on the crossties while I clip, brush his hair and pick his feet, but if I brush his BODY, he tries to cow kick. He is SO sensitive! I WISH he was sweet.:yes:

I love that my horse is a tryer. He has been put in SO many situations he's never been in, and always responds with a great effort. I LOVE that my horse isn't spooky, I LOVE that my horse isn't a dirty stopper, and my favorite part? I LOVE that when he's fresh, he snorts in time to his gait. Classic racehorse!:winkgrin:

JUMPERROUND
May. 17, 2010, 07:54 AM
her mind!!! Oh and her eyelashes!

SkipChange
May. 17, 2010, 08:22 AM
His go big or die trying attitude :D
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs036.snc3/12400_1262449203342_1293060230_30697326_6065404_n. jpg

I also love that he hates to hit the jumps and can jump around clean for weeks on end. He's got a brilliant sense of humor and is quick to forgive when I make a mistake.

tidy rabbit
May. 17, 2010, 08:33 AM
I love my baby Comet (yearling) because he will call / whinny when he sees me like I'm really one of his herd. :) Oh, and for about a million other reasons too!

blackcat95
May. 17, 2010, 09:09 AM
I love mine because he is dependable. That's the best thing right now as I'm trying to get my confidence back...

JumpWithPanache
May. 17, 2010, 09:39 AM
I love that mine will stand quietly at the trailer all by herself when we go to shows. And that she'll come off the trailer, get tacked up, and walk into the ring all business. I love that she needs only two warm-up jumps before going into the ring and jumping her heart out every time without batting an eyelash at any of the jumps. Oh... and I love her big ears that flop in time to her rhythm when she's relaxed... that part's just plain cute :)

sparky6
May. 17, 2010, 09:50 AM
I'll play! I don't actually have a horse right now but the guy I had through high school and college was great-and definitely a punk! I love that when he free lunged he jumped whatever jumps were set up in the ring. And I love that he was such a punk-whenever I'd try to kiss his nose he would wait until I was just close enough and then swing his into mine-never too hard to hurt, but hard enough to say "Mom! Cut it out!" Loads and loads of personality! And I love that all that personality made it easy for me to make sure he was going to the right next home-he didn't put up with some people and most people didn't want to put up with his antics so it was easy to know when he "clicked" with someone and that put my mind at ease.

AliCat518
May. 17, 2010, 10:08 AM
I also have a punk! and I LOVE it! I love how grumpy he is, how mare-ish he acts, and how he challenges me every single ride. It seems we often have contests of who is grumpier--which end in madness and laughter for both of us.
I love that when im in a terrible mood, I can go sit in his stall, and instead of his usual grumpy attitude, he will nuzzle me and lick my face, which always makes me laugh! And I love that even after 7 years of of owning him, he refuses to be push-button....hes just got too much personality for that!

jewll27
May. 17, 2010, 10:41 AM
I love mine b/c hes a giant goober. Everything he does, its just dorky that its cute. Also, when I come to the barn esp if its been awhile, he knickers to me and gets excited for me to come in his stall to say hello.

Sheila
May. 17, 2010, 11:19 AM
I love that I can load and unload him by myself.

I love that he is still frisky at age 24

I love that he wiggles his nose when he wants a treat

I love that he is as good with me as with the catch riders who are taking care of him this summer.

I love that he enjoys showing and puffs up when he wins.

I just love him.

LeisaA
May. 17, 2010, 11:45 AM
I love my mare's work ethic. When she's ridden, she works and loves it. But . . . if she's working, I'm working too. lol

doublesstable
May. 17, 2010, 12:08 PM
I love my horse because he is the most beautiful horse in the world and I can just stare at him all day long!!!

bellboots
May. 17, 2010, 12:43 PM
I love my horse because he fits my lifestyle so well. He's laid back and easy to handle, and causes no trouble whatsoever.

I mostly love him because he can laugh at my "adult amatuer, sometimes rides well, sometimes rides horrible, (has she ever ridden before?), and just plain stupid" moments without bucking me off and stomping my brains out!

Oh, and I think he's quite handsome, too!

LShipley
May. 17, 2010, 12:44 PM
I love my horse because she is all mine and she knows it. She's incredibly lazy and sweet with a mischievous streak. Also, when she pops me out the tack so hard that I am unbalanced after a jump, I can hang on to her neck and just say whoo-a and she will very carefully come to a stop.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
May. 17, 2010, 12:48 PM
I love that he's a nippy, bratty, snarky, punk. I love that he's athletic, clever, and demanding.

I love that my horse is a teacher. He expects me to be accurate and correct, to only make small mistakes and to do so very infrequently. I love that he lets me know when I do something dumb.

I love that he can be insecure and expects me to make everything ok. I love that he's dependent. I love that he can be difficult and frustrating.

I love him for the rider he's made me so far, and how much more I can learn from him and what we'll be able to do as a team then. I love that he's made me patient, forgiving and disciplined.

(I also love his build, look, color, movement, jumping style, that he can do the regular workings, the AO jumpers and the talent search and never look really out of place, that he's easy to load, clip (body as well as nose and ears), bathe, braid/pull mane, worm, etc. and that he's a little piggy that nickers at me looking for food every time I walk by.)

My old guy I love his puppy dog attitude, his sweet, giving, nature and big heart. I love that he's allergic to everything, he gets fungus in his feet and on his skin even in dry places and weather, he has terrible conformation and is often questionably sound. I love that he's super high management and tolerates everything I have to do to him. I love that he's moves awfully and jumps really hard, but is incredibly brave and super careful... will jump anything, from anywhere, every time. I love this about him because you have to be right to get a reasonable distance, you have to be consistent to ride a consistent pace, and you have to be strong to stay out of his way.

see u at x
May. 17, 2010, 12:54 PM
I've had my new guy, The Hamburgler, for only 3 weeks and he's at the trainer 3 hours away, so it's difficult to say all the reasons for which I'm sure I'll eventually love him for. At this point, I love him because the two times I've seen him, he's just been a big lug and a sweetheart - he loves to get kisses and nuzzle you. When he got off the trailer from a 2-day drive from New Mexico, he looked around like, "Huh...so this is it?", and then calmly walked with me to his new paddock. He didn't run around or anything, really...just started to graze before even bothering to check things out. Looks-wise, he's a knock out - 16.1h, blinged out buckskin, with pretty flat-kneed hunter movement....and a canter to die for. But the most important thing is his mind...he's QUIET and has a great temperament. I love him most of all for that.

The Mollywog, I love her for too many reasons to even list, but probably most of all her amazing and utterly incredible temperament. She will teach the most novice rider how to ride by being kind, but not by being lazy and letting them get by with just sitting in the saddle. "You must learn how to steer with me," she says, "thank you very much." But throw an advanced rider on her and she will test them in a second, just to see if they know as much as they think they do. She's not an overly warm fuzzy horse, but she tolerates affection well, and she LOVES children. She is far too smart for her own good, an absolutely lovely mover, and cute as can be with huge doe eyes. I've learned more from her than I have from any other horse and the incredible thing is that even though she is at 13 years of age, the two of us are still learning and growing together. I love that about her....she's my forever horse.

Oldenburg99
May. 17, 2010, 01:02 PM
I love that my guy loves me. Despite my many nervous mistakes. He will forgive and forget. He does not look pleased when my trainer is riding him. Then I get on and he's like "yes ma'am". Although if I continue to make the same mistake over and over....he will pin his ears and shake his head in digust. But at the end of the day, he will still grunt at me when he sees me walking to his stall. :D

Go Fish
May. 17, 2010, 01:05 PM
I love my gelding because he's the same exact horse day in and day out, same at shows as at home, and saves my sorry behind over and over again. I feel extremely fortunate to have a horse like this in my old age. A blind man could ride him.

My mare's another story...:lol:

RugBug
May. 17, 2010, 01:07 PM
Show:

I love that he is such a pocket pony. He LOVES people and I'm top of the list. I love that he's Gorgeous. I love his canter. I love that when I'm leading him and he wants to spook, he'll get super frantic with his feet and thinking about taking off, but knows he shouldn't so he doesn't move from his little space. I love that he lets me hug his head for as long as I want and doesn't pull away.

Elf: (he's newer to me and more aloof, so we're still in the bonding period)

I love that he's the same horse whether I ride him 5 times or week or two. I love that I can ride him in 40 mph gusty winds and he doesn't bat an eyelash. I love that when he scoots, it's controllable (unlike Show who bolts). I love that when he's scared, instead of checking out (like Show) he looks to me for reassurance...and believes me when I tell him it's okay. I love that he watches for me when hes in the crossties. I come out of the tack room, the ears go forward and he tracks me all the way back to him.

Mimi La Rue
May. 17, 2010, 01:20 PM
I love my guy because he is very forgiving and loves to please. He knows his job and he wants to do it well. He has built my confidence up a lot. He is very sweet and he loves his face to be brushed and rubbed. He is the most beautiful horse in my eyes. I also know he loves me just as much as I love him.

BeastieSlave
May. 17, 2010, 01:59 PM
I love the way my boy almost always nickers and always comes running to me when he's out in the pasture. It's like he's saying, "Mom you're finally here! I've been waiting and waiting...." He makes me so happy :D

doublesstable
May. 17, 2010, 02:02 PM
I love that he's a nippy, bratty, snarky, punk. I love that he's athletic, clever, and demanding.

I love that my horse is a teacher. He expects me to be accurate and correct, to only make small mistakes and to do so very infrequently. I love that he lets me know when I do something dumb.

I love that he can be insecure and expects me to make everything ok. I love that he's dependent. I love that he can be difficult and frustrating.

I love him for the rider he's made me so far, and how much more I can learn from him and what we'll be able to do as a team then. I love that he's made me patient, forgiving and disciplined.

(I also love his build, look, color, movement, jumping style, that he can do the regular workings, the AO jumpers and the talent search and never look really out of place, that he's easy to load, clip (body as well as nose and ears), bathe, braid/pull mane, worm, etc. and that he's a little piggy that nickers at me looking for food every time I walk by.)

Cool... I didn't have to elaborate - - this is my horse TOO...

Sounds like we all have some really special horses!!! Nice to hear...

kellyb
May. 17, 2010, 04:15 PM
I love that he is more like a dog than a horse :) Big puppy personality.

Deb413
May. 17, 2010, 04:36 PM
My horse Tater is Tater-rrific!! :cool:

netg
May. 17, 2010, 04:40 PM
Lady Luck (the crippled rescue): I love that despite lack of handling, at least lack of cruelty-free handling, before age 6, despite several years when she could barely stand due to un-cared for major injury and starvation, she loves all the love she gets now, a,d can run and buck and leap into the air, kicking her hind legs over the height of the round pen fence and land on her front legs.... despite one of them being mostly non-functional. I love that she has now figured out how to user her body and shoulder to lift the crippled leg to "paw" at the fence, and does it repeatedly to show off the amount of control she has. I love her personality, beautiful build, and athleticism and movement despite only having 3 useful legs. I love how she has coped with a right leg which essentially doesn't bend or have muscle past the top of the forearm, and can play and have fun without hurting herself, and while feeling no pain.

Tucson: He is just Mr. Personality. I love that I know as long as he's not hurting he'll do everything he can to please me. I love that he most likely would if hurt, too, but I hope to not find out! I've never bonded with a horse like I did with him. He knows the sound of my truck and walks away from his food as soon as it pulls in to watch me. I love that everyone who knew him his 5 years since he left the track thinks he is a different horse in the 2 1/2 months since I got him, because for whatever inexplicable, strange reason, he picked me to be His Person. I love how gorgeous he is, how quickly he learns, etc. But it's that bond I can't explain that makes him extra special.

bits619
May. 17, 2010, 05:48 PM
Don't have one now, but what i loved about the horse i rode/helped retrain through HS was the complete transformation he underwent from wasp-waisted, twig-necked, block-headed OTTB, to gorgeous, gleaming, rounded, toned and athletic specimen,... and to know I had a part in that.
I loved that, even after he became the swan, he was still this dorky, nerdy horse that most every other horse rolled their eyes at, shoved out of the way, completely ignored (except his one buddy, thank god!). He couldn't live in a pasture with mares because he got all stalker-ish over them (once we had to scratch from a schooling show because he saw his female pasturemate from across the farm and was a complete nutcase after that).
I loved that if i was having a soda after our ride he would try his hardest to knock it over or grab it from my hand. If it was Sprite, he'd leave it alone after he found out, but if it was root beer, I might as well hide it in the car if I wanted any of it.
I loved that, when I first rode him he was this awkward looking horse that no one at the barn envied... but when I came back to visit the farm years later, he was admired by all the young riders and well-loved by everyone. I love that I got to love him back at the beginning, when he was as ugly as sin :)

I love that he remains at that farm and I can visit him, even if it is just at his grave, in years to come. I miss him.

make x it x so
May. 17, 2010, 05:59 PM
I love that if I ride well, my horse has the potential to win, but he doesn't always give it to me easily.

I also love that his response when I walk out to get him from turnout is this:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30774846&l=a74735148f&id=1375350097

dab
May. 17, 2010, 06:22 PM
I love their sweet hay breath ... hers a bit more than his --

I love that they've both trained me to scratch their itches --

I love that when turned out in a ring with fences, they will both occassionally pick of a fence or several ... him more than her --

I love the feeling of purposefulness in her stride when she locked onto a fence --

I love that she'll stand quietly for an hour or more while I pick out her tail --

my_doran
May. 17, 2010, 06:43 PM
i love my horse because he has character,is handsome , loves ppl and very,very smart.is a spitn image in personality like his mother

mojo7777
May. 17, 2010, 07:07 PM
I love my boy because he is an ottb, because he has a BIG canter stride that I live for, because he whinnies and canters up to me when I get him from his field, because he is black (until he bleaches from the sun in summer), because he learns so quickly and is doing lateral work even though I'm just learning too, because he loves the barn cats and dogs, because he has a cool racing history and a cool pedigree, because he's an easy keeper, because he loves to jump, because when he shies he's rarely ever extravagant about it... I could go on and on. Love him to pieces!

Tobias
May. 17, 2010, 07:12 PM
I love my horse because he has an AMAZING canter!!!!! (we won't talk about trotting tho :lol: )

I love that he is a people horse! he would rather be around people than do anything else!

I love that you can feed him as many treats by hand as you want and he NEVER gets nippy.

and... I LOVE how he loves his tongue to be played with! HA HA HA he's so weird!

jaslyn1701
May. 17, 2010, 07:13 PM
I love my horse because:

He is my first horse and I am almost 55!
I love that he will come to meet me in the pasture or at least wait for me to come get him. '
I love that I have turned him into a treat "whore".
I love that my trainer says he looks happier since he has been mine!
I love that he will follow me around the arena - even over poles and small jumps - on the ground!
I love that he is a kind of ok, whatever kind of horse - since my brain tends to go 900 mph in certain situations.
I almost love that he is trying to test me now by flipping his head to the outside on a circle - twit!
I love the fact that even when I ride tense, he is a little up but still does what I ask.

I love my horse because he's mine!

mortebella
May. 17, 2010, 07:21 PM
You could ask on any two dozen days and get two dozen different answers - and that's your real answer right there :) Just for today I'll say it was the way yesterday he was playing "airs above ground" in the field (he never does this, btw) and then came running up to me just for all the world like, "Didja see me, mom? Aren't I the coolest one out here? Behold this high head of mine!" They are so very different from dogs socially; it's such a truly rare moment for one to break away from the herd and come "check in" with you. I love mine for all the little transcendent moments he gives my life.

magmir
May. 17, 2010, 09:52 PM
Well, he is soooo lazy - but he is also totally adorable, and the most honest, forgiving horse I have ever been lucky enough to ride. He is so much fun on the ground and while he does not like his flatwork he will not stop ... ever. I can make every mistake ever and his reaction is the same - "don't worry mom, I got it" :)

Mukluk
May. 18, 2010, 12:21 AM
I have enjoyed reading everyones responses and looking forward to more. Some other things I love about my horse. She will let me come up to her when she is lying down and let me pet her. She makes the cutest noises when she rolls and gets up. She squeals when she is excited! It's so cute. I love watching her race around, buck, crow hop, and do assorted airs above the ground when she is turned out. Fortunately for me, she never does this under saddle. She is very smart and very sensible. I think riding her is like driving a sports car. She's an OTTB first time on the beach and she was willing to go into the water. Now she will go in up to her belly! Loves trails and rarely spooks. Mylar balloons don't phase her. She does things that are seen in the extreme cowboy race, has team sorted, and was a star at the Buffalo round up on Antelope Island in Utah (one of the horses who ran along the back of the herd to get them moving) Trailers great. Anticipates that I am going to pick her feet and lifts up her foot before I even ask her too. Beautiful long lashes. And she is so fun to ride- just loves to Gallop (when I let her). She happily gives pony rides from the very young (age 3) to my 80 year old mama! She is just the sweetest horse. I love that she is mine. I will keep her forever no matter what. I really really love my horse!!!

Simbalism
May. 18, 2010, 02:05 AM
I'll play. I love my red headed girl(chestnut TB mare) because she is steady and takes care of me no matter what we are doing-swimming in the Chesapeake Bay, trying foxhunting, riding on steep mountain trails, camping, clinicing, parading, team penning or whatever I pull out of the hat. She is pretty and a good mover. She stands tied to the trailer for grooming and tacking up, and after we ride will hang out while I visit with friends and have lunch. She self loads and unloads, what's not to love...hehe.

Rescue_Rider9
May. 18, 2010, 03:35 AM
Well I have 6 horses, but I will tell you why I love my show horse!
I love that she is so unpredictable! You never know what you will get with her (Which is why her show name is Ready To Riot!) and she keeps me on my toes ALWAYS! Even when she is being a brat, she will save my butt if she has to and I very much love her for that! She is probably the coolest horse I have ever been on because she has so much personality and is so smart! I just love her! She was my first baby, so I have an attachment to her a little! :D She really rocks!!

MoonRiver5
May. 21, 2010, 12:27 PM
I mostly love him because he can laugh at my "adult amatuer, sometimes rides well, sometimes rides horrible, (has she ever ridden before?), and just plain stupid" moments without bucking me off and stomping my brains out!

I was about to post the same thing! I love that he can take a joke when I really put the AMATUER in Adult Amatuer.

I also love that he knows my truck and will come trotting to the gate when he sees me pull in the driveway. Such an ego boost!

GinWallery
May. 21, 2010, 02:55 PM
I loved that he was always friendly and faithfully. He never was angry or unwilling. He took care for little children on his back. Jumped high, ran fast but never would bolt. I could ride and jump without saddle and sniffle. He went into the trailer without batting an eyelash and we both could trust each other in the darkest hours. That´s the reason he´ll always have his place in my heart and that´s the yardstick for all the horses I met (and will meet) after him.

imapepper
May. 21, 2010, 05:29 PM
Let me count the ways :)
Kay
1. Her polite way of begging for mints and how her ears perk up when she hears the wrapper crinkle :)
2. Her ritual of putting her head on my shoulder before I put her bridle on :) it's a stall tactic but it works :winkgrin:
3. I love how predictable she is under saddle. She is always the same horse if I ride every day or every other week :)
4. I love her eyes and her pretty, feminine face.
5. I love how she has learned to trust me even though she came from a place that didn't encourage trust.
6. I even love the slow motion chase game that she plays with me when I need to catch her :lol:
7. I love how she feels when we jump. She explodes off the ground and then lands like a feather. She is very graceful.

Pepper
1. I love the look on his face when I find the good itchy spot.
2. I love that he can still be challenging and produce 3rd level movements and then pack a beginner kid over crossrails or through a little gymnastic.
3. I love his rocking horse canter.
4. I love how he gives me big slobbery kisses.
5. I love how he has gotten better looking with age. He was pretty as a youngster and now looks noble :)
6. I love that he still is enthusiastic about "working" at the age of 25 and how he hates being left behind when I take her out without him.

And I love how they are together. They are so good with each other and he calms her down and she is his best friend :) And I love looking out at my 2 pretty grey horses (when they are clean) happily munching together.

xxreddxheaddxx
May. 21, 2010, 06:06 PM
While I sometimes don't realize it, I love that my horse can be hard for me to ride. He has taught me so much in the time I have owned him and I don't think any other one horse could do that!! Pumbaa has taught me to do nothing on the days he is perfect and he has taught me to hold on tight on the days he is not! From him I have also learned about the way that horses think, even though he is such a challenge to figure out!

LoveTheLou
May. 21, 2010, 06:42 PM
I love how he nickers at me when I disappear around corners :lol:

I love how he gets so excited to go explore the back fields on long walks.

I love how totally giddy he gets when he sees a trailer "Road trip!!!"

I love how he gets offended when I pay attention to other horses.

I love how he LOVES small, furry critters (except squirrels, those are terrifying)

I love how if I can't make a decision, he will make one for me!

.... I could go on :D

HorsesinHaiti
May. 21, 2010, 09:43 PM
His go big or die trying attitude :D
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs036.snc3/12400_1262449203342_1293060230_30697326_6065404_n. jpg

I also love that he hates to hit the jumps and can jump around clean for weeks on end. He's got a brilliant sense of humor and is quick to forgive when I make a mistake.

B:cool:ING!

ridingschmedly
May. 22, 2010, 09:01 PM
I love how my guy is so laid back, but he will let you know when you need to fix something. He is forgiving, to an extent and he forces me to ride my best every single time I get on. I can't have a lazy day on him. When I am going to the jump, I have to support with my legs. When I ask for the canter, I ahve to use my aid in the perfect amount. I just love him.

Across Sicily
May. 22, 2010, 09:10 PM
I love mine because I had to earn his trust and his happiness to see me. I love that he is happy to see me and slightly annoyed with almost everyone else! *grin* I love that it translates to under saddle and how well he goes most of the time for me. I love that he's ridiculously honest and that no matter HOW I put him to a fence (and believe me, there are some doozies) he will do his best to get us out of it and over the jump safely. I love that he has never once given me even an inkling of wanting to refuse. I love that he can be a saint for some rides and a punk for others! I love that he is brave and happy on the trail and doesn't do stupid crap out there.

When I first got him I didn't much enjoy riding him... now I think he's the bees knees.

Bisoux
May. 22, 2010, 09:15 PM
I love my mare because:
1) she isn't mare-ish (yet... crap! I might have just jinxed it!)
2) even though I haven't had her long, she's taught me so much just when I thought I knew most of it (that's a young TB for you)
3) she's not HUGE, like most other horses I feel comfortable on, so I don't worry about her joints etc, but she has a big barrel for my 37" inseam legs
4) somehow she knows that when I'm having a bad day she better not pull the "I'm running away from you in the pasture to play" game and instead comes running with a nicker.
5) so superficial, but I love her markings. A big star and beautiful snip.
6) She's a really good mover (in my biased opinion), and I think/hope that will only get better once she gets stronger.
and the list could go on...

Sacred_Petra
May. 23, 2010, 06:34 PM
What don't I love about my horse?

I love that I got him completely by accident.
When I'm nervous about a fence being higher, he'll ride a perfect distance to a perfect jump no matter what I do, but when I'm confident over a smaller fence he'll screw it up unless I ride correctly.
I love his grumpy old man face.
I love that he likes to cuddle
I can put anyone on him and not worry.
I love that he wants to go ride.
I love that he loves me back.

EqJumperR
May. 23, 2010, 06:48 PM
I love my gelding because he's talented and he knows it. ;)

FlyingSwap
May. 23, 2010, 08:34 PM
I love my horse because he's a crafty, stubborn, rude, grumpy man who would rather swig a beer and read Playboy than do anything I ask.

I love him because I'm his 13th owner; he had a horrid life on the track (he stank as a racehorse) and was reduced to cheap claiming races before they finally just gave up and gave him away...and he fell into my hands. He arrived at our farm looking dead and sad and kind of shrugging because he figured it was just another stop on the road.

I love him because it took two years for that poor soul to turn into my feisty Alpha-male, gorgeous, ready-to-start-winning show horse.

I love him because he is NOT easy. He challenges me every day and has made me a better rider. He doesn't want to do the hunters, which is what I've done all my life. He wants to do the jumpers. .........We do the jumpers (and he models). Basically he does whatever he damn well pleases and everybody goes home happy.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=151753&id=112757628746926

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=170142&id=112757628746926&fbid=118303201525702

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=170178&id=112757628746926&fbid=118325398190149

His show name is Frankly My Dear....because he just doesn't give a damn. ;-)

FineAlready
May. 23, 2010, 09:29 PM
I love pretty much everything about my boy. :)

I love that he goes around like he believes he is the fanciest horse in the barn even though he is a so-so moving OTTB.

I love that he prefers me to others and calls for me as soon as I come into the barn or if I walk away from his stall for too long.

I love that he has mini-tantrums about all sorts of bothersome things that he should not have to put up with...bugs, water dripping off of his belly, etc.

Most of all, I love how smart he is and how hard he tries to be a good boy.

He's my love.

Fun Size
May. 23, 2010, 10:57 PM
Ok I'll play too :D

I love Max because I can completely trust him to save my rear end, no matter what stupid thing I do. He'll save me, but he will throw in a little kick or hop or head toss as if to say "check it out mom, if you're going to make the wrong decision, just let ME handle it!"

I love that he just has 3 white socks instead of four, and little freckles on his stripe...and that he goes totally wild for peppermints. Big eyes and everything.

He has taught me SO much, I wish I could keep him forever :yes:

*JumpIt*
May. 23, 2010, 11:24 PM
The way she puts up with my mistakes, I even secretly like that she doesn't get bothered when I lose my balance or screw up but when someone else screws up or seems unconfident she flips out. I like to think it is because she trusts me and knows eventually figure things out.

I love her perfectionist attitude, she likes things to be just right and if I ask her wrong she just won't do it. She works hard to please and she gives me 110% effort 90% of the time. ;)

I love her itty-bitty-barely-there star and the way she begs for treats by lifting her right leg and touching her nose to her knee while crossing her jaw. I admire her strength and poise and her beautiful, sweet eyes that make my heart just melt.

I love that even though she was a cheap OTTB throwaway she makes me feel like a million dollars every time I sit on her. A big reason why I bought her was because I couldn't imagine anyone loving her more than I did/do.

alaska_pony
May. 24, 2010, 08:31 PM
Well I'm going to have to do past and present :)

Alaska:
-I loved his nose and the way that he was always nuzzling around for treats and head rubs.
-I loved that he would follow me around everywhere, even when there was perfectly good grass next to him.
-I loved that he watched me school other horses from his field.
-I loved that he would occasionally turn around while we were riding, just to check and make sure I was still up there.
-I loved his snorting when we would run the fields.
-I loved how he was the alpha male in his field but he still was nice to the babies and the newbies.
-I loved the way he would look so defeated after we gave him a bath (which he resisted with everything he had).
-I loved how, in the three years that we had him, he became the cutest, bravest little jumper.

Cricket
-I love her tail swish right before we jump - happens every single time.
-I love that she makes a lap around her field everytime that I turn her out, just to check out the area.
-I love that she takes about 3o minutes of trotting and circling just to soften up and round out.
-I love her beautiful extended trot.
-I love that she can ruin any halter within a few days of buying it.

ponycrazy111
May. 24, 2010, 08:46 PM
I have 3 ponies, and I love each one of them for a special reason they are all special to me.
I love my baby medium pony because she is so trusting of me. She knows that no matter what, I will always take care of her and never lead her into trouble. She always takes care of me, and she has saved my butt many times. She trots towards me whenever she sees me, and is so cute

I love my baby large because without fail, he always nickers me when I come to his stall. He has his undying trust and love. He has the sweetiest personallty, and always tries his best to please you, and always does what he can to make you happy. He of course is the cutest thing ever

I love my horse because she will protects you from anything and everything. She saves your butt from every situation you get yourself into. I call her mama because the way she acts toward, is so maternal and loving. She is the sweetest most loving horse ever. She is the cutest thing ever as well

Ty2003
May. 24, 2010, 09:15 PM
How fun!

I love my gelding because I can do anything on him and I know he'll try his hardest. He's my "fun" guy who will go on trail rides, hunter paces, shows, etc and never blink an eye. He walks on the trailer by himself and is my mare's "moral support" when she's being, well, herself :) He was a great confidence booster for me after a lot of bad horses as a junior and then 15 years away from riding. I also love him because he has the sweetest eye and is a complete lovebug.

I love my chesnut mare because she comes to me when I call to her in the field - every time. She always has her ears up no matter what - and she's a sweetheart. I love her because she's a sensitive ninny sometimes (unlike the gelding, she does NOT load by herself, and would prefer not to load at all) :) but I know that she'll never try anything dirty and she will always give her all. I also love her for being such an amazing horse to ride and show.

mojo7777
May. 24, 2010, 09:21 PM
"I love that even though she was a cheap OTTB throwaway she makes me feel like a million dollars every time I sit on her."

Great quote, *JumpIt* :yes: I feel like changing the she to a he and using it for my sig line.

HealingHeart
May. 24, 2010, 09:38 PM
I love my horse
4-his kindness
4-his Love
4-his whinnies
4-his gentleness
4-his smooth w-t-c
4-his caring
4-his attention
4-his look
4-his grace and acceptance
4-his strength
4-his endurance
4-his love
4-his memerories
4-his heart
4-his trust and wisdom
4-his power
4-his funny side
I love my horse because he is mind and I am his
We connect, we know, we share, we explore life
I love my horses 4-being in my life :)

MintHillFarm
May. 25, 2010, 11:35 AM
This face:
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv259/minthillfarm/alexattheclinic_edited.jpg

And the fact that he would sit curled up on the couch with me if he could...

SunBelle
May. 27, 2010, 03:32 PM
1)I loved that my horse was a kleptomaniac and would steal everything within a six foot radius from his stall, burying them in the back corner- and almost seemed to laugh about it while people went on a rampage looking for their things.
2) I loved that he was this incredible 10+ mover, who could win the hack in any company, making me feel much better about all of our over fences fiascoes!
3) I loved that he had no problem planting me in the dirt, but took such good care of the little kids, whether they were on his back or on the ground. If someone brought their kiddies to the barn, I could put up his stall guard and he would play babysitter while they crowded around.

Now I love my greyhound, who is my substitute horse for the time being. Because she was "off the track," she reminded me of my OTTB. Because she looks so equine, she is like a horse that can sleep in my room- which was my childhood dream!

playinforkeeps8
May. 27, 2010, 08:49 PM
I love my horse because he's a brat :D The worse he is, the more I love him.

And I love this pony I ride because no one else loves her but me.