PDA

View Full Version : seat position when riding greenies!

my_doran
May. 16, 2010, 10:08 PM
im riding a green 6yr tb mare in my lessons,while training my horse to be ridden.mare w/t/c's on the flat,but at the point where we are trying to make transitions smoother and lateral work.anyways she isn't spooky or bolter as maybe a typical greenie might do.i am a h/j rider with a tendency to sit dressage seat,as i want to have myself riding more of a hunt seat i try to be slightly forward when riding.,but my coach has me riding in a dressage position all the time ,constantly tells me too sit up straight.i don't want to undermine her teaching methods,but on the other side of things i would rather ride in the position intended for my choice of discipline.now does she have me riding like this,just for the fact i am riding a green horse or is she trying to make me into a dressage rider as that is what she is changing her riding career too?
does anyone else have this experience?

Aerial
May. 16, 2010, 11:07 PM
Are you planning on riding this mare in the eq? Because maybe that's why your trainer wants you to sit, although just because you are sitting doesn't mean you are riding in a dressage seat.

copper1
May. 17, 2010, 06:39 AM
When riding a real greenie, sitting up taller keeps you in the saddle better if they decide to buck or shy hard.

llsc
May. 17, 2010, 08:27 AM
I ride my greenies in a modified two point, in other words, I stretch my upper body up, incase they do something stupid, but I try to stay up on my stirrups a bit to keep my seat lighter. Once they are past the stupid phase, I move to to a regular two point to keep them forward and light.

ILuvMyBoy
May. 17, 2010, 08:52 AM
I have a greenie and my trainer is constantly constantly constantly telling me to sit. I have a habit from my old horse of riding in half seat as he was a "get off my back" sensitive TB and preferred being ridden that way. Her reasons for it are to engage his hind end and get him to drive from behind and keep him elevated since he's naturally downhill. I don't know that I'll ever get the hang of it but I'm sure trying to since it definitely seems to work when I'm able to!

Alterrain
May. 17, 2010, 02:31 PM
Is your trainer a dressage trainer, or EQ? or hunter? Because if it's the former, she may be trying to get you into the dressage/ EQ position. (yes, I know they are not the same, but both are more "upright" than hunters) She also, as a pro, might see a greenie moment coming that you, as an ammie, cannot feel, and is having you more in the "safety position."

ImJumpin
May. 17, 2010, 04:20 PM
Sorry, I am sure many will disagree, but I would agree with you trainer and think sitting up/back is the way to go. You cannot train from a two point. You need to use your body weight and upper body combined with your leg to get your horses driving under themselves, as mentioned by ILuvMyBoy.

Save the more forward position for the show ring.

my_doran
May. 17, 2010, 06:34 PM
i will be showing eq flats and the hunter classes.
trainer does a bit of everything h/j,dressage,eq,etc.
it does to some degree help with the lateral warm ups i.e leg yeilding,shoulder ins and haunches etc.
as an ammie i am good at feel ,but im just the kind of rider that likes to start/practice on a good position habit ,then have to fix bad ones later.hence the reason of my first post.

FineAlready
May. 17, 2010, 07:54 PM
The end goal with a greenie, in my opinion, is to get them accustomed to a variety of seats. I sit on my greenie sometimes and other times I'm in a half seat, just like with seasoned horses. Lately, I've been sitting more so as to engage his hind end a bit better. That's just a training decision, though. If it suited my needs on a particular day, I'd go around in a half seat.

Justice
May. 17, 2010, 07:58 PM
It's a greenie thing. Keeping your body back keeps you safe. Safe is good. There is, however, a difference between green and "green." I am thinking less than 6 months under saddle here.

DMK
May. 17, 2010, 09:08 PM
Aalmost every "great" trainer of greenies I have ever seen always rides in what is affectionately known as the greenie slouch (and by greenie I mean from that first time you swing a leg over kind of greenie). It's almost the same seat from western to english and it has one thing in common - light seat and a fairly "flexible" center of gravity that is close to the horse as a human body can manage without actually wrapping themselves in a ball. It usually looks sort of like a modified 2 point but maybe the butt is a bit further back so your weight isn't too forward and your feet my bea hair in front of optimal position. There is this fine balance between encouraging forward but being prepared for maybe too much forward on the buck 'n crowhop front... and since a long leg and a deep seat comes with a few unintended consequences, you sort of want some lower shoulders (ergo the "slouch") in case there is some spin and bolt action.

In short it is the perfect seat to save your hide and still ride the ultimate greenbean like he is to be trusted (even if he isn't). The hard part comes later in the game when you really do have to trust him! :lol:

But I usually ride that in a modified two point unless there is a specific reason not to (i.e., when they learn to canter sometimes sitting up and using a bit more of a driving seat gets them past the "I'd rather trot stage") and then I start using my seat as a cue for certain behaviors. If they drop their nose, rather than snatch it up, apply some leg and open your body and sit up, asking for them to lift the rib cage. You know, capture the behavior with the correct aid, and soon enough they get it if your timing is good. It's that ability that makes some people simply awesome at starting youngsters and why they never look like they are training on the youngster but somehow he progresses constantly and smoothly.

Brooke
May. 17, 2010, 09:47 PM
I've never heard it called the 'greenie slouch' but that's a perfect discription. :) I find that while I am soft on a greenie's back, I do get 'closer' and kind of sink down with my upper body. It's such a habit now, that I have to really think of stretching up on a more made horse. It's all about self preservation.