PDA

View Full Version : Critique?

blackcat95
May. 16, 2010, 08:48 PM
Video from a show last week... This was only my second show with him. This was our first O/F class of the day. Sorry for the bad video quality!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sni7yID30rI

doublesstable
May. 16, 2010, 10:48 PM
I think you did really good considering it was only your second show w/ him. Your turnout (the way you look ;-)) ) is very very nice.

He is cute, seems like he has a great attitude but needs to get infront of your leg... (move more from behind). He did look a bit stiff behind to me; ??

You have good conformation for equitation but you need to do a few tweeks and you will be really a lot better.

Get your heels down more and tighten your lower leg. If you look when you are cantering your iron is swinging. SIT UP. Dont lean foward and pump w your body. You are pumping because your horse is behind your leg. Use your lower leg at the girth and ask Punchie to move out - forward. Think open long stride, coming from behind.... In the beginning of the course I kept clucking at you. The last few fences the pace was better...

Keep up the good work and have fun...

Wonders12
May. 16, 2010, 11:12 PM
I agree you great for only your second show with him! You both you happy together.

The number one thing I would work on is your lower leg. It swings quite a bit. A couple things is work with no stirrups. Two-point work concentrating on a tight lower leg. And up-up-down posting (both with and without stirrups). Make sure you're concentrating on tightening up your lower leg and not pinching with your knee while you do this. It will be hard a first, but if you work on it consistently, you'll see an improvement quickly.

Tightening your lower leg will help with everything. It will increase your pace and allow you to stabilize yourself to get him moving with some impulsion (not just speed). It will also give you more options with your distances and help you over the fence so you don't feel the need to creep ahead of your horse as your approach the jump.

You look like a good, solid rider and your horse is adorable. Get working on that lower leg and I think you'll see a lot of improvements overall.

ETA: I'm not a professional by any means, just saw a lot of that mistakes I used to (and still) make and thought I would try to help.

tidy rabbit
May. 17, 2010, 08:59 AM
What I see is that you're missing your distances and here's why I think it's happening....

I think that you're trying to see something from too far away.

If you were to concentrate on your rhythm and your track and when you're 2 strides out either adjust or stay the same you might find things smooth out for you a bit.

blackcat95
May. 17, 2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the critiques! I've noticed the leg swinging as well, and I've been spending part of my lessons every week working with no stirrups and in two point. The up-up down posting is something I've done before, but not for this problem. I'll give it a try though!

doublesstable- He is a little stiff behind, he broke his hip a while back so he's a little lopsided to the left. (Also the reason he doesn't do flying changes). But he's definitely sound, just stiff.

RxCate
May. 17, 2010, 09:07 AM
His rhythm was nice, but like the others said, the whole time I was watching I was saying "push push push!" because he just needed to move up just that little bit to get out from behind your leg.

And agreed on working on those distances.

blackcat95
May. 17, 2010, 09:12 AM
His rhythm was nice, but like the others said, the whole time I was watching I was saying "push push push!" because he just needed to move up just that little bit to get out from behind your leg.

And agreed on working on those distances.

Thanks for the input! I have a tenancy to go slow right now as I'm still a bit nervous and (mentally) recovering from a really bad fall. I'm only just getting to the point where I'm confident enough to really go out and ride up to a course at home, as opposed to chipping or adding a stride.

Funny everyone keeps mentioning pace, because I thought he was going quite fast! I guess it's just perspective and realizing that I can still be in control but riding comparatively fast. :)

HRF Second Chance
May. 17, 2010, 09:19 AM
I'm with DoubleS. I think you need to work on sitting up more, which will help push your lower leg forward and keep you more balanced. Trying thinking of sinking into your heels and stretching up towards the fences instead of leaning towards them and then stay over until he's completed his fence.

He sure is cute! Looks like you'll have a nice and successful career together ahead of you as a team!

doublesstable
May. 17, 2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the input! I have a tenancy to go slow right now as I'm still a bit nervous and (mentally) recovering from a really bad fall. I'm only just getting to the point where I'm confident enough to really go out and ride up to a course at home, as opposed to chipping or adding a stride.

Funny everyone keeps mentioning pace, because I thought he was going quite fast! I guess it's just perspective and realizing that I can still be in control but riding comparatively fast. :)

Yes, nerves play a role don't they.. ;)

When you work on the flat; focus on weighting your heels and using more of your calf... wrap around your hosres barrel.... you will find when that gets stronger you will feel more secure. Be carefull of too much no stirrup work.. you "don't" want to pinch w/ your knees. That creates the pendulum affect where your upper body swings over the neck as you jump pivoting off your knee... as your lower leg slips behind the girth.... (not what you want) This will make you feel unstable. Ask me how I know... I have been working on this myself.

I feel so much safer with my base support coming from my calf and weight in the heel.

Keep working on getting stronger....

Parrotnutz
May. 17, 2010, 12:17 PM

Forward doesn't necessarily mean faster. :)

rabicon
May. 17, 2010, 01:15 PM
He is cute, how did he break his hip? You did a nice job but what I see is you are already pinching with your knee which makes your upper fall to far over on his neck and your leg swings back and you are starting to develop some chicken wings with your arms. I would stop the no iron work right now and focus more on two point work. Also posting four and sitting four and coming up on the correct diagnol each time is great work. Sit up and relax thru your leg and into your heel. You have a nice position just need to get off your knee and into your heel and I think you will be spot on. Also it looks almost to me like you are on auto pilot. The horse is just doing the course at his on pace and on strides which is making you get to deep or to long. It doesn't look as if you are really riding the horse but the horse is riding you. Remember half halts are your friend ;) Also forward doesn't mean faster, it means push his butt underneath him and make him propel himself from the hindend not from pulling himself along from the front end. This comes from core strength and leg strength. If you've been out of riding a while because of a crash then work at home also on your core and legs so you can keep your leg on him and pull with your seat to get his rear under him more. You your seat to push him thru the course and not the pumping of your upperbody. Also one other thing I noticed is it seems you look to one side when you are looking ahead. Remember to look thru your horses ears and not the side of his head over the jumps and on the straights. You are almost there, you have a lot of potential and the horse is adorable. Good job for your second show with him and good luck.

NOMIOMI1
May. 17, 2010, 01:23 PM
I wouldnt push him. I think he is fine as is with that small of a fence. I wouldnt want him to WORRY, and if you push him and he gets tense then it will ruin the overall pic.

He will liven up over bigger stuff most likely, and he wont really have to JUMP until then anyway as he is really just hopping now.

very cute

rileyt
May. 17, 2010, 01:36 PM
Several people here have hit the nail on the head. The primary thing is this:

He needs to get in front of your leg.

(I personally think a bit more pace would be welcome, but as others have said, its really not about pace). Get after him about being responsive from a light touch of your leg, because this one thing is creating problems in your riding...

You have a domino effect taking place. Because you are a touch nervous, and he is a bit lazy, you're squeezing him around the course. You're gripping with your KNEE, which is REALLY why your lower leg is swinging. And you're pumping with your upper body because you're trying to maintain the canter.

Beware of the no-stirrups work. If you're gripping with your knee, all you're doing is ingraining the bad habit. It won't help your lower leg at all. The fix here is two-fold: First, let go with your knee, and stretch down your leg. THEN (if its still necessary), tighten your lower leg.

But, all in all, you two look well suited for each other, and safe.

blackcat95
May. 17, 2010, 01:44 PM
He is cute, how did he break his hip? You did a nice job but what I see is you are already pinching with your knee which makes your upper fall to far over on his neck and your leg swings back and you are starting to develop some chicken wings with your arms. I would stop the no iron work right now and focus more on two point work. Also posting four and sitting four and coming up on the correct diagnol each time is great work. Sit up and relax thru your leg and into your heel. You have a nice position just need to get off your knee and into your heel and I think you will be spot on. Also it looks almost to me like you are on auto pilot. The horse is just doing the course at his on pace and on strides which is making you get to deep or to long. It doesn't look as if you are really riding the horse but the horse is riding you. Remember half halts are your friend ;) Also forward doesn't mean faster, it means push his butt underneath him and make him propel himself from the hindend not from pulling himself along from the front end. This comes from core strength and leg strength. If you've been out of riding a while because of a crash then work at home also on your core and legs so you can keep your leg on him and pull with your seat to get his rear under him more. You your seat to push him thru the course and not the pumping of your upperbody. Also one other thing I noticed is it seems you look to one side when you are looking ahead. Remember to look thru your horses ears and not the side of his head over the jumps and on the straights. You are almost there, you have a lot of potential and the horse is adorable. Good job for your second show with him and good luck.

He broke his hip by falling on some ice I think... this was before I knew him so I don't know the details.

I have been working on getting him to pull his rear end underneath him, but it's hard for me because I'm not super strong yet, and it's hard for him because of his build. He tends to get really long and hang- which is what he was doing through some of the corners. I haven't quite got the hang of being able to pull myself up instead of having him hang on me. At this point I think I just need more core strength for that.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions- I'll add them to the list of things to work on! :)

NorthFaceFarm
May. 17, 2010, 01:54 PM
Try some cavaletti work and lots of lenghtening and shortening the stride at the trot and canter.

rabicon
May. 17, 2010, 03:29 PM
Poor baby, how lucky that he is actually alive and working and now JUMPING :yes: I have the same problem with my dressage horse right now. I was out for 8 weeks from surgery and he can also get strung out unless I RIDE the whole ride. I am having to work on my core and leg again and get strength to keep him from getting strung out and tense. So I understand that. I do crunches and sit ups and some leg excersises as well as two point around the ring. I give him the reins and just let him go wherever while I just sit up in two point. As well as I work on him turning off my body in two point. Thats great for the horse and yourself. Sit up until you feel your sitting back almost and put your elbows by your side in a forgiving way of course, don't lock them there and concentrate on that, you can also do what my trainer has done to me :lol: A stick (like broomstick) thru my elbows behind my back, after a few min. believe me you'll think hard about keeping those elbows back :lol:

blackcat95
May. 17, 2010, 04:53 PM
Poor baby, how lucky that he is actually alive and working and now JUMPING :yes: I have the same problem with my dressage horse right now. I was out for 8 weeks from surgery and he can also get strung out unless I RIDE the whole ride. I am having to work on my core and leg again and get strength to keep him from getting strung out and tense. So I understand that. I do crunches and sit ups and some leg excersises as well as two point around the ring. I give him the reins and just let him go wherever while I just sit up in two point. As well as I work on him turning off my body in two point. Thats great for the horse and yourself. Sit up until you feel your sitting back almost and put your elbows by your side in a forgiving way of course, don't lock them there and concentrate on that, you can also do what my trainer has done to me :lol: A stick (like broomstick) thru my elbows behind my back, after a few min. believe me you'll think hard about keeping those elbows back :lol:

The stick behind thru the elbows thing sounds like it would be helpful... it'd probably help my posture as well. I've done a crop behind the shoulders for that also. That was NOT fun. I'll probably start with the crunches and stuff as well... :rolleyes:

Btw, why were you off for 8 weeks? What happened? And yes, we're so lucky he's ok and riding again... I still don't know all the details but I'm glad he's sound and able to take care of me! :D

rabicon
May. 17, 2010, 10:46 PM
He is really cute. What is he? He reminds me of my friends horse, but much calmer :lol: I had to have a mass and ovary removed, fun stuff. It was softball size and I'm so small they had to cut me all the way across. :no: Not fun. But IM BACK!! :lol: Now I have to get that core muscle built back up because they cut thru alot of it :rolleyes::sigh: He looks like he is a nice boy, you guys look like you can go a ways together. I'm guessing you crashed on a different horse??

blackcat95
May. 18, 2010, 09:46 AM
He is really cute. What is he? He reminds me of my friends horse, but much calmer :lol: I had to have a mass and ovary removed, fun stuff. It was softball size and I'm so small they had to cut me all the way across. :no: Not fun. But IM BACK!! :lol: Now I have to get that core muscle built back up because they cut thru alot of it :rolleyes::sigh: He looks like he is a nice boy, you guys look like you can go a ways together. I'm guessing you crashed on a different horse??

Thank you! He is a Thoroughbred. I don't think he ever raced, but I believe he was a track pony- like the ones that have to round up the racehorses after they finish.

Ouch, surgery sucks. Glad everything is OK though! Better safe than sorry.

Yes, I crashed on another horse. I was ready to move up from Pre-Children's to Childrens, so we bought a 9 yo green-bean TB. He was awesome, but he had some nagging back issues we didn't know about until he bucked me off. On the way down I sort of landed in front of him and he kicked me right across the face. I now have a big scar across the top of my nose and up under the eyebrow. It was scary, or so I've been told. I don't actually remember what happened. But now my confidence is shot- we ended up selling the horse because I was just too afraid of him to ride him or even go near him anymore. And then I was off even longer after I recovered from the fall because I came up with a back injury... so between the greenie and the injuries I lost close to a year of real riding and training time.

So now I have Punchie as a confidence builder. He's really good like that. I'm free leasing him from my trainer. I get really frustrated sometimes though, because I was ready to move up to the 3 foot division and now I'm back doing the 2' and Long stirrup divisions. But I'm glad I can finally ride again! :)

rabicon
May. 18, 2010, 11:41 AM
Ouch, glad your okay to. And this is why my Mom is so scared of me and my daughter riding :lol: You never know what can happen. Don't worry about doing long stirrup, take your time and get your cofidence back and you'll get there. Better be safe than sorry. ;) Good luck with him and keep us posted on how you guys are doing.

blackcat95
May. 18, 2010, 02:02 PM
And this is why my Mom is so scared of me and my daughter riding :lol: You never know what can happen. Don't worry about doing long stirrup, take your time and get your cofidence back and you'll get there. Better be safe than sorry. ;) Good luck with him and keep us posted on how you guys are doing.

My mom too! Except she rides as well, so I can't be blamed for whatever dangerous things happen to me or her... she's been a bad influence on me with the horses!! (Actually it's the other way around... but she encourages it!) :lol::lol:

Thank you for the confidence.