PDA

View Full Version : Devon Hunt Teams

JCoyle
May. 16, 2010, 12:40 PM
I know that the pony hunt teams dress up in costumes and have music. Does anyone know about the junior hunt teams on Saturday night? Do they dress up? Music? Bribe for judges? Everything on you tube from previous years leads me to think that the junior hunt teams are traditional and not really a costume/music type of deal like the ponies. Really need your help on this one, please respond.

superpony123
May. 16, 2010, 12:55 PM
from what i've watched, it's been traditional. sometimes i see them all wearing shads but mostly its hunt coats and all formal. ive never seen music either. granted i watched a few years ago, but i doubt its changed

JCoyle
May. 16, 2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks. It appears to be a lot less "fun" than the ponies. Hard thing is the class is Saturday night, and the horses have to be out of their stalls by midnight. I think the ponies will be a lot more fun.

dab
May. 16, 2010, 08:58 PM
Saturday night horse hunt teams are not limited to juniors -- Unlike pony hunt teams which are limited to ponies who have qualified for the show, horse hunt teams are open to everyone -- The class attracts teams from many local barns -- There tend to be more adults than juniors in that class --

It's not a costume class, and the judges sit in their normal box which makes offering a bribe a logistical problem -- You might see riders wear formal dress or carry a whip, but that's about it -- BTW, if you carry a whip, the judges can ask you to crack it --

Like the pony hunt teams, it is a crowd favorite --

blackcat95
May. 16, 2010, 09:01 PM
How do the hunt teams even work?

dab
May. 16, 2010, 09:52 PM
How do the hunt teams even work?It's teams of 3 -- I think the Devon prize list says the course is 3'6", but it's not unusual for it to be set a little low -- The course is typically designed so that the 3 horses follow eachother until the last fence which is jumped 3 abreast -- Sometimes the course designer with set 3 lines next to eachother so that each horse has to jump a different line -- With those lines or the triple-wide final fence, the idea is for all 3 horses to jump at the same time -- Teams try to keep an equal distance between their horses ... supposedly a safe hunting distance although teams tend to err on the side of a larger distance than you would see in the hunt field --

Many teams try to ride horses that match -- Occassionally, you'll see a sidesaddle rider or a team of them --

There are rules governing hunt teams in the USEF hunter rulebook --

billiebob
May. 16, 2010, 09:59 PM
One year two of my friends and my then-riding instructor did hunt teams at Devon. My instructor rode sidesaddle, my friends wore their dress uniforms from a military school. It was pretty unique and they ended up 5th or 6th.

vxf111
May. 17, 2010, 07:33 AM
Hunt teams for adults is formal dress. The closest you will see to "costuming" is maybe the horses will be braided in matching colored yard and/or the riders will match their clothing to each other. No themes and no costuming.

Some people do go sidesaddle in appropriate garb and/or wear actual hunting garb. But no costumes.

Cruise Control
May. 17, 2010, 10:54 AM
If you have a chance to be part of a team do it!! It is a really fun night... my team has been together for 23 years and we have only missed 3 because of horse issues. Does anyone remember the 2 cremello horses and either a chestnut or dark one inbetween? Ours are now bays and chestnuts.

trv_at_tacf
May. 18, 2010, 12:12 AM
The prize list still states that the jumps will be around 3'6. but when i did it twice a while ago and they were roughly 3'.

NoExcuses
May. 18, 2010, 12:25 AM
Hope you can open this picture of the winning hunt teams a Devon a few years ago. Guess who? They all went on to compete at the upper levels, and two are still very active in the horse world.

myalter1
May. 18, 2010, 08:44 AM
I love the hunt teams at Devon! When I was a jr, we did it and it was a blast! We had a HUGE white horse, a medium size chestnut horse and a small black horse. We were 4th. It was a great memory of mine! Wish I could do it again and I wish more horse shows offered it. It's a really fun class!