PDA

View Full Version : CWD vs. Butet stirrup leathers

huntereq7
May. 16, 2010, 12:14 AM
I need a new pair of stirrup leathers and was looking for some input on the CWD leathers. I've always had Butet leathers but they're kind of difficult to change... I was also wondering how long the CWD leathers last compared to the Butets. Thank you!!

Justice
May. 16, 2010, 11:23 PM
I have had both, and they are very similar, from what I can remember of my Butet leathers. I had new ones for my used saddle and they were easy to put on, and the new ones for my practically new CWD were much harder to put on because the saddle's not broken in. I love the leathers, enough to pay for them twice in a 4 month period because I stupidly sold my leathers with the flat seat saddle and then bought a deep seat.

BAC
May. 17, 2010, 03:33 PM
My CWD leathers are almost 5 years old and in great condition, no need to replace them any time soon. I find them to be very easy to change, even when my saddle was brand new. I disliked the Beval leathers, because they were so much harder to adjust from the saddle, unlike my CWD's. But that may have more to do with the stirrup bars themselves rather than the actual leathers.

kimball1
May. 17, 2010, 07:55 PM
I actually took my CWD leathers off my new saddle and replaced them with generic pair from Dover. The reason is the CWD leathers have a rubber liner, which is amazing, since I don't think it will every break. The downside is when a spun off and broke my leg, I was really, really wishing the stirrup leathers had broken instead of the femur. The leathers were over 5 years old and they didn't break. So the good news is the CWD leathers are built to last. LOL

Elementgrl2
May. 18, 2010, 10:22 AM
I have had my Butet leathers on for 3 years and they still look new, and they're easy to adjust too

BAC
May. 18, 2010, 10:41 AM
The reason is the CWD leathers have a rubber liner, which is amazing, since I don't think it will every break.

All "lined" leathers have a nylon lining which prevents stretching or breaking and that is generally considered a benefit, although it wasn't in your case. After now riding in lined leathers I would never go back to regular ones again.