PDA

View Full Version : Helmet help? Please?

Pleased_As_Punch
May. 14, 2010, 01:53 PM
I used to ride in an IRH ATH, size 6 7/8. It hurt the front of my forehead, and sometimes even bruised it. Wearing with a hairnet (and I prefer to always wear one) was sometimes exceedingly painful!

After a couple years of this I got myself to the tackstore, tried to be very careful and methodical and bought an IRH SSV (http://www.doversaddlery.com/irh-aths-riding-helmet/p/X1-3663/cn/39/), size 7. Before purchasing, I even had the opportunity to borrow one from someone at the barn for a couple of test rides...all seemed wonderful.

But now...yuck. It's hurting my forehead the same way the old helmet did, but maybe not quite as bad. It has more of a tendency to slip down over my eyes during those "oh sh!t" moments.

So what next? Should I just eat the cost of this relatively new helmet and buy a new one? It's not horrible, but I feel that something that I wear every other day should be comfortable! And if I get a new one how do I make sure I won't have the same problem? Do ALL helmets bruise my forehead? I wouldn't even know what to buy and, frankly, the thought of shelling out more $$$ is not too appealing.

Please advise me, oh helmet gurus.

Aerial
May. 14, 2010, 01:59 PM
I believe that the IRH has more of a fit for rounder heads. You might try a CO or GPA or something like that...those two brands fit more oval heads, which is what your problem sounds like. I personally love the Co's and they fit my head really well and the IRHs are definitely less comfortable for me.

blackcat95
May. 14, 2010, 02:24 PM
I had an IRH that did the same thing! But I stuck it out until I fell off and needed a new helmet. Then I splurged on a CO Wellington Classic. Fits so much better and is more comfortable!

If it's bothering you that much, get a new helmet. From the sound of it, yours doesn't even fit that well anymore. Might be worth it to go to a tack store and try on a bunch of different ones and get an opinion on which one fits the best.

Green Acres
May. 14, 2010, 02:39 PM
Actually I think the IRH's are better for oval shaped heads. IRH does make long oval, have you tried one of those?

OP - I bought the IRH SSV due the same problem you have. Huge red sore on my forhead when I showed. For schooling it doesn't bother me since I don't have the helmet on as long.

The SSV is much more comfortable for me. However one thing I noticed is if my hair is too long/thick and needs to be cut - I will get a headache from my helmet. But I have curly long hair so it makes a difference for me.

When I was helmet shopping I tried CO's and those DID not work for met.

Tarheelbelle
May. 14, 2010, 03:13 PM
I just wanted to put my .02 in. I just bought the IRH xr9 and it fits like a dream on my head. It is SO comfortable too.

:yes:

Tha Ridge
May. 14, 2010, 05:51 PM
Actually I think the IRH's are better for oval shaped heads. IRH does make long oval, have you tried one of those?

IRHs are more oval. GPAs, in my experience, are more round. The GR8 seems somewhere in between. I'd try the GR8 if you haven't already.

howardh
May. 14, 2010, 05:55 PM
The Charles Owens helmets are designed to fit different heads. Each helmet fits a certain type of head, so talk to your tack shop.

And no, it shouldn't bruise your head. OUCH you poor thing!

Go get yourself a new helmet! This should be fun not painful!

Hunter Mom
May. 14, 2010, 06:12 PM
I cannot wear IRH helmets either. I love my Troxels for schooling, but the CO fit me great, too. If you're not wanting to spend a ton on the GR8, CM Tack has the JR8 in stock, and I know they had the 7 1/4 a few weeks ago. They'd be worth trying for under $150.

Pleased_As_Punch
May. 14, 2010, 07:10 PM
Sounds like CO is the way to go but gosh I hate to spend the money. How am I ever going to buy a horse of my own if I keep shelling out for new gear!

I might order a JR8 instead of trying one on locally. I prefer to support the awesome local stores, but I feel that I need to wear it for 1 hr or more to make sure it doesn't start to dig into my poor head. It seems like the standard tack store visit isn't enough time to ascertain if it's going to work or not, no matter how knowledgable the staff are.

jn1193
May. 14, 2010, 07:39 PM
I've had the same problem with most helmets. There is a new helmet being marketed in the US - Samshield. (www.samshield.com). The way it's designed with a break in the pads under the vent in front takes pressure OFF the forehead. They are amazing.

NOT cheap, but have a padding system that allows you to customize the padding for your shape head & size.

They started selling them at Wellington this year, but am not sure who is carrying them at the moment.

Really hot looking as well - NO mushroom head either.

Take a look.

LARGEBORE
May. 18, 2010, 06:21 AM
Are the samshiled SEI ASTM certified ?

Dappled Grey
May. 18, 2010, 07:02 PM
I had the same question about the Samshield. They are beautiful!

I stuck it out for far too long with an old GPA.. A short but enthusiastic bucking phase with my youngster sobered me up and got me to the tack store for a better fitting helmet. My choice was the CO Wellington and I LOVE it.

Regardless of your choice in helmet, I sincerely advocate getting fitted by a pro at your tack shop. Wear it around the store for a 1/2 hour - for the price of a helmet they shouldn't mind!

The owner of my local shop helped me try on several different styles and let me hang out in them for a while. She recommended buying it slightly snug, which made me a little nervous. I had a slight headache for the first few rides and now it is PERFECT. I don't even notice I'm wearing it.