PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on saddle fit - rider?

pattnic
May. 13, 2010, 08:06 PM
Currently riding in a BdH that I love very, very much (and got for a song). Purchased used, pretty sure it's a long flap, but I can deal with that. However, upon looking at pictures from a recent horse show, I'm starting to think that perhaps it is not the best fit for my leg.

https://www.caseymcbridephotography.com/default.asp
Saturday -->Morning --> Class 124 --> Last Picture
(Yes, I will be purchasing pictures from the photographer... I just haven't decided which ones yet!)

http://picasaweb.google.com/pattnic/StarDixieCupHunterPleasureStake#547090916967537977 8

When I look at the pictures, I feel like the seat size is fine, the flap length is tolerable (though would be better if it were shorter), but that I need a more *forward* flap. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Nothing is really "in the budget" right now, but I am certainly able to keep my eye open.

(And yes, I am aware that I need to work on keeping that lower leg in place regardless of the saddle - it's amazing the habits we slip back into when we're thinking about everything but that!! :lol:)

Dakotawyatt
May. 13, 2010, 08:16 PM
You know, as many times as I've seen you ride, I never noticed that your flap really *doesn't fit your leg. So yeah, I would like to see you in a shorter/more forward flap.

BTW, you look FAB in your shad and top hat!:yes:

lesgarcons
May. 13, 2010, 09:18 PM
I would like to see you in a shorter/more forward flap.

:yes: I agree.

mvp
May. 13, 2010, 10:45 PM
Shorter flap-- for aesthetic reasons. If you can sit the trot ok and can find the "sweet spot" in this saddle in the two-point, keep that in mind as you try the same with a more forward flapped saddle.

As a shorty, I too often find my knee behind the pocket and working way to hard to hang out in the two point. So I'm not upset by where your knee is. Theoretically, your thigh should look pretty parallel to the front edge of the flap. But stirrup length wil modify that alot. Choose by the saddle's shape and function for you.

And a very pretty picture. I even like the padless look and I didn't expect to! Thanks for opening my mind.

TrakeGirl
May. 16, 2010, 06:59 AM
FWIW - I am trial riding in a new saddle (Amerigo DJ) which has a shorter flap than I'm used to by about 1-1.5 inch and I am finding that I LOVE the difference. I can get so much more leg on my horse.

I am long from hip to knee, always have needed the more forward flap, and in this normal flap saddle, my knee is *RIGHT* at the edge of the front of the flap if not a bit in front at times. According to Amerigo, they say the designer of their saddles (Peter Menet) says it doesn't bother him/doesn't matter even if your knee sticks out over the front of the flap if everything else feels lovely and balanced. Not sure I buy that or not - but I did notice that almost ALL the riders on TV (Rolex coverage) yesterday knees were out past the front edge of their saddles (and they are riding in forward flap cross country saddles to begin with!) so I don't know what that is all about.

The trial saddle fits my horse like a freakin' dream and it is a great price so I will probably roll with the regular flap - doesn't bother me in the slightest when I ride and actually helps me not pinch at the knee so much. Again - FWIW. :)