PDA

View Full Version : Bitting Up The Nanny Pony

EqTrainer
May. 13, 2010, 05:37 PM
LMEqT is starting to canter around the farm now. Think gradual hills and big fields. Nanny currently goes in a full cheek plain mouth snaffle and grazing reins.. For the last year she has not been cantering a lot so her canter is a bit rusty and her previous history is of cantering quickly and jumping handily. Now.. She has learned to canter quietly and slowly on the longe so I know it's in there, the problem is she was trained to be more forward than most seven year olds are comfortable with. And LMEqT likes them to be forward!

So I think I need to give the child a little more whoa in the front. I am not afraid Nanny will run away with her, I just want her to know she has a little more brakes. LMEqT has good hands, quiet and doesn't lose her reins or let them get long. Thoughts on what bit to move up to?

lizathenag
May. 13, 2010, 05:43 PM
the grazing reins (or anti-grazing reins) are the most important.
it depends on what the pony respect.
pelhams with converters often do well (horrors! I know).
kimberwicks also. (horrors again, I know).
I would stay away from a non smooth bit personally although some prefer a slow twist to something with leverage.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 13, 2010, 05:56 PM
Corkscrew

mjrtango93
May. 13, 2010, 06:02 PM
If your talking out in the open and terrain with a smaller kid just go to the pony bit...... pelham with converter (could even be rubber) or kimberwicke. I kid that size is going to need a curb chain to be felt. If it was just in the arena I would say some sort of corkscrew, but if your going to give your kid brakes, then give them brakes!

Gry2Yng
May. 13, 2010, 07:57 PM
If the child has good hands then my vote would be, give her enough bit that one tug is all it takes for 5-10 strides. Pony gets strong, she tugs again. This way she doesn't learn to waterski and the pony doesn't learn to ignore her or balance on her hand.

Kimberwickes, pelhams and ponies. Like peas and carrots.

I will bit up a well trained xc horse until one or two tugs will rebalance him and then I can ride forward. I don't teach kids, tho I have a three year old who will soon have a nanny pony I hope, and this would be the method I would try first, for both confidence and skill.

Let us know what you choose and how it goes. I will make note for my future reference.

skyy
May. 13, 2010, 08:01 PM
Kimberwicke. Kid tested, mother approved.

Lynnwood
May. 13, 2010, 08:10 PM
I would say pelham with a similar mouth piece to what the ponys used to. If she is comfortable with two reins teach her how to use two off the bat. Maybe try using two skinny curb reins so they fit better in tiny hands do one smooth one braided to help her tell the diffrence. If that is over the top then just use a converter. If the pony dislikes the curb wrap it in something or just use a leather one.

Do a few trial runs and see what makes them both happy. Like the previous poster said I'd think a bit without rough edges but that one small tug would get desired results for a few strides is better than something she might have to ski on.

Good luck my daughter is 4 going on 5 and I cant wait to get her her nanny pony.

lcw579
May. 13, 2010, 09:03 PM
When I was wee I used a rubber pelham (no converter) on my small welsh when we were out foxhunting and barreling around the trails. If she has nice quiet hands, nothing wrong with teaching her how to handle two reins right from the start.

trinityhill
May. 13, 2010, 09:56 PM
Another vote for the pelham, either 2 reined or converted, which ever she is ready for. Our small goes in a happy mouth mullen mouth pelham and even our itty bittys have enough brakes without leaning on the bit. Some of the lessoners ride in 2 reins others in the converter.

JB
May. 13, 2010, 10:03 PM
Ok, now that you're talking about this, you MUST get pictures of little Miss EqT cantering her nanny!

fordtraktor
May. 13, 2010, 10:20 PM
I am in the kimberwick camp. It is the same as a pelham with a converter -- so answers are really rolling in the same pretty uniformly.

Sounds like she may not need one in the ring? And I think two reins is a bit much to ask a kid to handle at this stage in her riding career. I bet she is too cute for words on Nanny Pony!

EqTrainer
May. 13, 2010, 10:51 PM
Thank you all so much! Am shopping for Pelhams and kimberwickes in the other open window right now :)

LMEqT is in bed now but I think I will ask her what she thinks about two reins... She always asks about my horses double and has watched how it works so I think she will understand. Won't need it for in the arena but I think she will for jumping, which of course is not far off now.

And oh yes, there will be pictures... Lots of pictures! She got a new CO helmet but refuses to give up her pink GPA with Hello Kitty on the back... The visor is duct taped together for heavens sake! Kids are so funny.

Lynnwood
May. 14, 2010, 04:37 AM
Please shes sounds like a fashionable diva already if I could have a hello kitty pink helm and not be dragged off to the tacky bin better your bloomers I would!!

Hunter Mom
May. 14, 2010, 11:31 AM
Kimberwicke. Kid tested, mother approved.

YEP!

ASB Stars
May. 14, 2010, 01:26 PM
Bristol mouthed D.... Pelhams and kimberwickes teach ponies to lean.

BeastieSlave
May. 14, 2010, 03:10 PM
We used a Kimberwicke on our Wonderpony. She was absolutely the best pony, but sometimes could pull a bit and a 6 year old kid just can't compete with a pony strenght-wise!
I was very happy with the non-slotted Kimberwicke (looks a lot like a D-ring from the side) that I got from Beval's. The pony and kid were happy too :)

leilatigress
May. 14, 2010, 03:59 PM
Pony stuck his nose up last night and trotted off with my little one last night. I was kind of in a shock since he wasn't rushed just off he goes.... Trainer was a little concerned but not overly. Pony has plenty of tude though so I don't think this will be the last time. Trainer upped his bit from an o ring to a Kimberwicke for the next few lessons. Let me know how yours deals with the double reins since mine is 7 and is asking about them as well.

llsc
May. 14, 2010, 04:12 PM
I put my older daughter's small in a Happy Mouth 6 ring when her little sister rides him. I hook the grazing rein to the bit ring and the reins to the bottom ring. It gives her plenty of stopping power. He's a really slow guy, so she doesn't have to carry much contact, but sometimes when heading toward home, he won't stop as easily as he will for her sister.

I have this one.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-010033&ids=691195410

NorthFaceFarm
May. 14, 2010, 04:26 PM
Wow, I don't think I'd have the stomach to put a tiny kid's hands on an elevator, especially with grass reins.

SmartAlex
May. 14, 2010, 04:48 PM
Let me know how yours deals with the double reins since mine is 7 and is asking about them as well.

When I upgraded from western Shetland to english Arab at age 7, I went straight into four reins. And it wasn't a pelham either, it was a regular saddle seat weymouth bridle. Everything went just fine. Start 'em young.

BeastieSlave
May. 14, 2010, 07:31 PM
This is a pretty close picture of what we used: http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/BeastieSlave/Horses/Angel/sleepygirls.jpg

whbar158
May. 14, 2010, 11:01 PM
When I was little my ponies basically had 2 bits, their normal snaffle then a kimberwick for outdoor activities. Pelhams are nice when you need the extra leverage but also need to ride on a contact so you can ride on a contact without using the curb. I liked the kimberwick because I could just bop around as I wanted and had the power to stop if I wanted. I think lots of people think kimberwicks are evil, but I like them so that the kids don't have to pull as hard (some are scared to pull too hard because they will hurt the horse, and this is while the horse is running away with them :rolleyes: ) I personally like to use twisted and corkscrew for my own use where I need extra response, but I find they work better with more educated hands as they are tougher on the mouth, while a pelham or kimberwick isn't as hard on the mouth because it has the curb chain. Just my personal preference.