PDA

View Full Version : Heat = Spooky?

Burgie
May. 13, 2010, 11:03 AM
My mare used to be quite spooky. She has mellowed quite a bit and has been dead quite - most of the time.

When in heat, she doesn't get witchy or confrontational - she gets really super duper stupid spooky. It only lasts a day or two. I normally just give her those couple of days off (we ride pretty hard, so it is a decent break for her) since it isn't worth the fight.

Anyone else have this issue? Suggestions?

Valentina_32926
May. 13, 2010, 12:15 PM
Give her Hops with her feed - a teaspoon every morning and evening.

Burgie
May. 13, 2010, 07:46 PM
Hops?

What are those, and where does one get them? What is the purpose behind them?

Dakotawyatt
May. 13, 2010, 08:19 PM
No advice, just wanted to say I can SYMPATHIZE!!!!:eek:

Burgie
May. 13, 2010, 10:13 PM
Sorry to hear, but glad I'm not the only one!
She used to be a nasty, rank, wench when in heat.

Now she just wants to be held. :)
...but she'll kill you by jumping in your lap when she spooks.

Sugarbrook
May. 13, 2010, 10:26 PM
Hummmm........I see none of that behavior in my pony broodmares. They get kinda "groupie" with each other when a few are in heat, but spooky or a real change in behavior......NOPE. Not sure what is going on with your mare. Not the normal thing I know about and believe me I have a lot of broodmares, and youngsters who come in heat.

headsupheelsdown
May. 13, 2010, 10:28 PM
Hops are what they make beer out of. You can buy them online if you can't find them anywhere else. I have never heard them being used for mares in heat... it would be interesting to hear if it works if you try it.

Dakotawyatt
May. 13, 2010, 10:31 PM
I ride one that just turned 4, and came into heat about a week ago ... she has been a spooky WRECK since that time. Her nature is to be a little on the hot, spooky side anyway, but had been going like a total superstar. But even leading her into the barn, she spooks so hard at random things, she's almost yanked the lead rope out of my hand. It's crazy! I'm waiting for my pony to come back to me ...:(

JumpWithPanache
May. 14, 2010, 09:02 AM
My mare has matured out of most her spookiness but if she cycles particularly hard then she gets really looky. I try to pay attention to her mood on the ground and if she's acting jumpy then it's not worth the fight to ride that day. She also gets a sensitive back so she doesn't want to work across her topline very well... again not worth the fight. Usually she's much more manageable the next day and we only have minor disagreements. I've noticed that the hard heats are worst in the spring, so I haven't had much issue during the summer months for show season.

KristieBee
May. 14, 2010, 09:09 AM
the reason the mares get spookier, is probably the very same reason women get crabbier/more irritable and anxious around their periods - did you know just before/during our periods our magnesium levels take a MAJOR dive?!! magnesium is known to help soothe muscles and cramping and nerves and irritability. no coincidence, right?

i take more magnesium around 'that time' and TRUST ME my husband can tell when i have forgotten! LOL - i've read jokes that the Dynamite product called Easy Boy should really be called Easy Girl for the same reason - it's known for soothing mares in heat. Easy Boy is what i give my horse and I highly highly recommend it.

It's a calming supplement with tons of magnesium. Give that or something like it to your girl when she's in heat and that should take the edge off!

good luck!

ps: make sure, whatever brand you choose, that the magnesium is chelated to make it more bioavailable in the digestion process. cheaper products frequently use magnesium 'oxides' - which are not chelated.

KristieBee
May. 14, 2010, 09:25 AM
here's some backup, for what it's worth ;)

http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.aspx?Id=541

excerpt:

Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency?
What are some of the symptoms of magnesium deficiency? They are outlined beautifully in a recent article by Dr. Sidney Baker. Magnesium deficiency can affect virtually every organ system of the body. With regard to skeletal muscle, one may experience twitches, cramps, muscle tension, muscle soreness, including back aches, neck pain, tension headaches and jaw joint (or TMJ) dysfunction. Also, one may experience chest tightness or a peculiar sensation that he can't take a deep breath. Sometimes a person may sigh a lot.

Symptoms involving impaired contraction of smooth muscles include constipation; urinary spasms; menstrual cramps; difficulty swallowing or a lump in the throat-especially provoked by eating sugar; photophobia, especially difficulty adjusting to oncoming bright headlights in the absence of eye disease; and loud noise sensitivity from stapedius muscle tension in the ear.

Other symptoms and signs of magnesium deficiency and discuss laboratory testing for this common condition. Continuing with the symptoms of magnesium deficiency, the central nervous system is markedly affected. Symptoms include insomnia, anxiety, hyperactivity and restlessness with constant movement, panic attacks, agoraphobia, and premenstrual irritability. Magnesium deficiency symptoms involving the peripheral nervous system include numbness, tingling, and other abnormal sensations, such as zips, zaps and vibratory sensations.

Symptoms or signs of the cardiovascular system include palpitations, heart arrhythmias, angina due to spasms of the coronary arteries, high blood pressure and mitral valve prolapse. Be aware that not all of the symptoms need to be present to presume magnesium deficiency; but, many of them often occur together. For example, people with mitral valve prolapse frequently have palpitations, anxiety, panic attacks and premenstrual symptoms. People with magnesium deficiency often seem to be "uptight."

tenacity
May. 14, 2010, 05:16 PM
My mare has matured out of most her spookiness but if she cycles particularly hard then she gets really looky. I try to pay attention to her mood on the ground and if she's acting jumpy then it's not worth the fight to ride that day. She also gets a sensitive back so she doesn't want to work across her topline very well... again not worth the fight. Usually she's much more manageable the next day and we only have minor disagreements. I've noticed that the hard heats are worst in the spring, so I haven't had much issue during the summer months for show season.

My experience is similar. On those occasional days my mare also seems more spooky/reactive in general. I just know not to expect too much on those days. :)