PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation letter for student

ChestnutShowJumper
May. 13, 2010, 10:06 AM
Hi,
I have been asked to write a recommendation letter for one of the kids that I have been teaching. They need the letter for an application to a private school. Has anyone written one from a riding perspective and have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)

kashmere
May. 13, 2010, 10:23 AM
I think the important thing to keep in mind is that, unless the school is focused on riding, they aren't going to be too interested in her specific riding skill set. What would serve your student best is to talk about the qualities your student shows in riding that are going to help her excel in other environments; things like determination, hard work, good attitude, eager to learn, etc. Talk about the specifics of riding in order to give those qualities a context, but make sure the focus of the letter is on the student herself and how she'll be able to transfer her skills and qualities to the academic world.

For example, instead of saying:

"Susie is a great rider, she mastered the flying change in only two lessons, and has moved up a level in her jumping over the past year"

say:

"Susie is a fast learner, and her dedication to riding has allowed her to quickly master new skills. Her hard work has made it possible for her to steadily progress in competition"

Tell them about her accomplishments-- just make sure to tell them in terms that will be applicable to their own area.

betsyk
May. 13, 2010, 12:52 PM
I would definitely add something about any choices she's had to make regarding school vs. horses, time management, responsibility, commitment, priorities, integrity. If you can give an example of a time when she came out twice a day to take care of an injured horse and still got all her schoolwork done, or a time when she had to make a hard choice between starting a show season early or getting her math grades up... I would think that's the sort of thing they'd want to hear about.

gottagrey
May. 13, 2010, 01:28 PM
Agree w/ other posts unless the private school has a riding program the letter should state the qualities you see in "susie" as one of your students/clients. I.E. Susie Jones has been in my riding program for X years.During that time she has exhibited willingness to learn, determination, and good sportsmanship. Susie is always ready to lend a hand to me or the other students. In terms of competition, she is a gracious winner and loser, and is always there to cheer for the rest of our team. She would be a wonderful addition to your school etc etc.

Long Spot
May. 13, 2010, 01:34 PM
I've been asked for a letter of rec for a job a student wanted.

As Kashmere said, I focused on the work ethic she used in lessons, her dedication, her quickness to pick up new skills etc.