PDA

View Full Version : calling all bit gurus...

horsechick
May. 13, 2010, 10:09 AM
So since the first time I ever sat on my horse, he has had a problem with the bit hitting his teeth (or tooth-not really sure) on the right side. Now he knows it's coming, and wants to brace against it. The ONLY bit he likes well enough is a Happy Mouth Mullen D. I have it in a three ring also, and it's OK.

I've tried a couple Mylers, Waterford, Dr. Bristol, loose ring fat snaffle. Softer seems better-the harder the bit, the harder his mouth. Regular snaffles just have the nutcracker effect and slam into that tooth even more.

Any other suggestions??? Anyone ever do a "bit seat"? I never have, and it makes me a little nervous, but he's really uncomfortable.

Thanks for any ideas!!! :)

Zanny
May. 13, 2010, 11:30 AM
Totally get an equine dentist to check the tooth out and then ask them about how they would do a bit seat. Yes I have had them done, but the horses teeth were fine in the firts place.

SunshineSummertime
May. 13, 2010, 11:32 AM
Try the sprenger white strait bar D- like a hard rubber...all my sensies like it

Come Shine
May. 13, 2010, 01:13 PM
Ditto getting a dentist out.

Another thing to think about, though, do you have the cheek pieces done up high enough? I remember GM moving my bit up a couple of holes to be extra careful about not hitting teeth.

fourmares
May. 14, 2010, 02:38 AM
Get the dentist out. If there is nothing the dentist can do then start playing around with bits.

Thomas_1
May. 14, 2010, 02:44 AM
How are you checking the bit placement?

JellyBeanQueen
May. 14, 2010, 03:14 AM
Be carefull when getting a bit seat done for they can be harmfull and cause other problems. Besides the bit should not be touching the molars anyways.
Have a dentist take a look at the teeth first. Might can be easily remedied.

With some horses that have canines that cause the bit to sit a little tight or have sensitive mouths I will wrap the bit in Sealtex laytex wrap. I use the Sealtex to fatten up a thinner bit or to soften up a bit or to help a horse with a sore bar or what have you in the mouth. Vulcanite rubber is pretty soft and I have used bits with it on. HOWEVER; some horses will chew off the vulcanite rubber because it is soft and thus expose the metal core of the bit. I had a D snaffle that was covered in Vulcanite that is now a basic stainless steel snaffle bit. THe horse chewed off the rubber. Some bits come with a leather covering but they arent that popular anymore and are hard to find nowdays...but I have a concern over sanitation in leather covered bits for bacteria can not be washed out of leather that well. I know that in some Harness racing there are bits still being made with leather coverings.

Then you have your basic nylon (like the Happy mouths) and your industrial rubber (which taste horrible) and your Flexi bits and the list goes on forever.

I have always found that Sealtex has worked wonders and is relatively cheap and you can use as much or as little (according to your specific needs) and it easily replaceable (dont have to go buy another bit if the stuff is chewed off worn off and etc.) You can also cut the Sealtex to specific sizes and comes in two length sizes. I have used it on solid mouth peices and on snaffle mouth peices.

goeslikestink
May. 15, 2010, 03:57 AM
How are you checking the bit placement?

echo this

have you checked that you bridle fits for exsample are the cheek peices to long so that the bit is hanging to low within his mouth which if it was will bang on his teeth -

always check the bridle fitment and bit fitment
look here

watch the video - here

http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=fitting+a+bridle+and+bit&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=#

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178116

link 4 on page one

i also want you to think of how you ride and your hand positions
as if its only banging on one side of his mouth it could be you
most people are right handed so tend to be stronger on the right hand side
thinking of this - it could be you via being more stronger on the right so are kinda pulling the bit through the horses mouth- sub conciously

read link 2 page 1 on helpful links pages
http://www.meredithmanor.com/features/articles/faith/fixing_bit_evasions.asp

which in turn would be a rdier error problem
try to give on the strongest side ie the right hand side off you which will even the horse up - ie give with your right hand

also i would like you to read this link

mouthing and bitting by thomas 1
http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=223453

just a note
the best way to see with out hurting your horse in anyway to see
if the bit is hanging to low in his mouth,
is to hold the bridle up against the side of his head from poll position to his mouth this will give you a rough guide of where the bit should be
undo all buckles on the bridle and adjust them to that lenght
repeat action before you attempt to putting the bridle on
makesure all parts of any noseband straps are also adjusted to lenght and if a cavasson nose band being used makesure you can get 2 fingers under the noseband part,once its been done up
then put the bridle on- the bit should be resting in the corners of his mouths and when closed place your thumbs both sides between the bit and bridle to check the distance so its doesnt pinch - this also helps to check that you have altered both sides of the cheek pieces evenly when measuring for the bridle fitment
makesure that the horse has enough room around his poll and brow areas of the bridle - an ill fitted bridle can cause harm, and also effect they way of going for a horse as he wouldnt be able to use his head properly which in turn effects his balance let alone hurting in the mouth
the poll and brow areas shouldnt be to loose nor to tight - but a snug comfy fitment
the reins - make sure you use the correct length of riens for the size of the horse -