PDA

View Full Version : Another posting trot question!!

crazyhorses
May. 13, 2010, 01:48 AM
My trainer says when I post, in the up part my legs come off of my horse. Like I kick away from her sides. Any tips to not do that? My trainer shortened my stirupps and told me to just constantly think about not doing it, but it's hard for me to not... So I need tips to stop doing it! Thanks! =D

KateKat
May. 13, 2010, 10:56 AM
you're bracing off your stirrups. See the thread about "posting help" the tips in there will help you too.

GoodAsGold
May. 13, 2010, 10:58 AM
I've been working on my leg too, and one thing I've found helping is to post up two beats, down one. I think it would be impossible to swing your legs to keep you up for two beats in a row at the posting trot.

Just an idea!

Lee Galen
May. 13, 2010, 11:20 AM
Some suggestions....

Imagine trying to touch the ground straight down with your heels, and let the horse's motion push you out of the saddle rather than struggling to pull yourself up and out of the saddle.
Only come out of the saddle a tiny bit, enough to minimize the bump, get into the rhythm of the horse even if you have to sing a little song to yourself.
Lean slightly forward from the hips(keep your back straight!) and try to relax. What you are doing is perfectly normal for a beginner and you will improve greatly with time if you keep practicing.
Try taking your stirrups off the saddle and posting without them. I know it's painful at first but work up to longer and longer periods of time.

The kids at my barn who have thrown an English saddle on their western horses post like this and it is painful for me to watch!

fearless_intheirons
May. 13, 2010, 11:49 AM
LOSE
YOUR
IRONS
:)
this will bring you great successes in life. I think this should be in a fortune cookie!! :)

tidy rabbit
May. 13, 2010, 11:55 AM
In my dressage lessons my posting is beaten on and beaten on and beaten on. It is amazing how posting the trot CORRECTLY affects your horses way of going.

Dramapony_misty
May. 13, 2010, 11:57 AM
I used to ride without stirrups alot in college when on the riding team. I had leg muscles I didn't even know I could have! Sadly, I have "let myself go" for a few years and now I'm trying to get it back. I seem to plop back down in the saddle alot more I used to when posting w/o stirrups. I try not to post so high and that seems to work ok. Is this a common problem?
I'm assuming it will get less and less as I gain strength (I hope).

RugBug
May. 13, 2010, 11:59 AM
In my dressage lessons my posting is beaten on and beaten on and beaten on. It is amazing how posting the trot CORRECTLY affects your horses way of going.

I'm not sure I would say that dressage posting is CORRECT posting. It's correct for dressage, but maybe not other disciplines. :winkgrin:

tidy rabbit
May. 13, 2010, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure I would say that dressage posting is CORRECT posting. It's correct for dressage, but maybe not other disciplines. :winkgrin:

NOOO! Really? You my dear, have a keen sense of the obvious.

I certainly wouldn't ride my horse in a hack, like I would in a dressage lesson.

It's just that I can influence the quality of my horse's gait by how I post either positive or negative, to a much greater degree than I ever realized.

But I'm just a silly novice and have tons and tons to learn still about riding, unlike most on this forum. :yes:

RugBug
May. 13, 2010, 12:27 PM
NOOO! Really? You my dear, have a keen sense of the obvious.

I certainly wouldn't ride my horse in a hack, like I would in a dressage lesson.

It's just that I can influence the quality of my horse's gait by how I post either positive or negative, to a much greater degree than I ever realized.

But I'm just a silly novice and have tons and tons to learn still about riding, unlike most on this forum. :yes:

TR - I know you know the difference... I know you're a better rider than me. ;) But your post has the 'Dressage is the CORRECT way' tone that I hate...and that I'm a little over-sensitive too. :shrug: Maybe you didn't mean it, but how else is it suppose to be taken? I certainly think it's a valid comment that an HSE rider is not going to post the same as a dressage rider and that even though you got beaten on and beaten on by your dressage instructor, it doesn't mean you were posting incorrectly...for HSE. Just that you were posting incorrectly for Dressage and the goal during those lessons.