PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ride in jeans?

Raaben
May. 13, 2010, 12:41 AM
I'm trying to find some skinny jeans or what have you to wear on days when changing into breeches isn't always an easy option:lol:

I'm only 5'3 so most stuff is too long but I also need something that I can wear under my tall boots/half chaps without bunching up, if thats even possible:lol:

Last question, if I do find some whats the best way to get my boots socks on with them to prevent them from being annoying:winkgrin:(I'm ADD)

Thanks guys

fourmares
May. 13, 2010, 02:04 AM
I'm 5'1"... Gloria Vanderbuilt tapered leg work pretty well under half chaps... I have yet to find a pair of skinny jeans that are not also really low waisted and I don't think I could ride knowing that my butt crack might be showing.

fascination
May. 13, 2010, 02:11 AM
Places like Urban Outfitters make skinny "ankle" jeans (basically skinny jeans with a shorter, like, 30" inseam) that don't really scrunch, in a bunch of rises (low, really low, high, really high).

Socks: under the jeans? That's what I normally do. I put socks on then my jeans so I don't have to deal with any wrinkles :).

Bif
May. 13, 2010, 02:12 AM
Maybe find riding jeans/breeches that can double as "in the world" clothes, rather than the other way around. Jeans without stretch are murder to ride in, and many are too thick to fit well into tall boots, and even some half chaps.

AmandaandTuff
May. 13, 2010, 02:39 AM
I saw some jeans in Hobby Horse that look like they could go under half chaps. The magazine shows a model wearing them. I usually wear regular boot cut/flare jeans and just fold them to put under half chaps or to wear with my boots. I put tall socks over top of the jeans to keep them in place.

http://www.hobbyhorseinc.com/10_shopping/ranchdress/8950_cowgirljeans.shtml

doublesstable
May. 13, 2010, 04:08 AM
I ride in jeans but use my half chaps.... I could NEVER get my leg in my boots with jeans.

I like the DKN stretch jeans for riding... not bulky and stretch......

takethestage
May. 13, 2010, 06:03 AM
If you're skinny enough to cram into kid's sizes, try abercrombie kids' skinny jeans. I have a few pairs that I wear to ride, they have a nice stretch and I they don't bunch under tall boots. I bought mine at ankle length, so I didn't have to cuff them, and they're really nice for those days you're going straight from the barn to the real world! I'm 5'3" as well and I actually can wear the kids 12 slim :eek:

HuntJumpSC
May. 13, 2010, 09:44 AM
I found a pair on sale at American Eagle that work nicely. They are slightly low rise, but are fine with a belt. Stretchy and very tapered at the leg, they are perfect with my half or full chaps. :)

nlk
May. 13, 2010, 10:03 AM
I'm 5'3" and but have huge calves so jeans and boots are a no go. However I do wear jeans almost daily because I stilll have baby weight from my last pregnancy and me and breeches have yet to reach an under standing!. All my jeans have a little stretch to them. I wear Levi's if that helps. What I do is cuff mmy leans at the bottom so they are above the spur half chap line. (I do this even with skinny jeans as I HATE scrunched jeans. I then fold the cuff towards my shin from the outside. It makes the jean nice and tight. If you do it from the inside you will get an uncomfortable line there. Then I put my half chaps on. I also Always wear tall socks under my jeans.

englishivy
May. 13, 2010, 10:07 AM
I'm not trying to be snarky, but my hormones are on overtime and this is one of my pet peeves.....

If you want to ride in jeans (which I do most of the time) you should wear them with chaps or half-chaps. I firmly believe that you shouldn't be able to wear jeans with your tall boots if your boots fit you properly...even the thin, stretchy jeans are too thick in the ankle and calf. If you have pull-ons, I don't even see how it's possible! :confused:

I had a client who rode in (zip-up) tall boots & jeans, and she just looked totally silly. It reminded me of someone wearing prada heels with running shorts.

There are a few riding pants out there made to look like jeans; perhaps trying those?

ETA: what do barns with a "dress code" think of riding in jeans with tall boots? I assume they want you in classic riding apparel, which would not be jeans. As I said before, it just looked silly to me.

dags
May. 13, 2010, 10:11 AM
My old student, who's been out of the show scene as long as I have now (about 6 years) texted the other day saying, "What is with all these BREECHES?"

She had just moved into what is probably a more show-geared barn after hiding out at an eventing place for several years. She said everyone gave her funny looks for riding in jeans (with half chaps).

The whole point of this selfish trip down memory lane is that I always ride in jeans, which is now apparently passe. I blame the wimpy french saddles and their precious pommel leather (which I simultaneously adore). Any jeans - and 6 years and beyond ago skinny jeans were definitely not in style. In fact, flared bottoms were, and I shoved them in my half chap, too. My only rule of thumb was to not pay more than $40-60 on them :)

Should note I've always used the Ariat half-chap - the one that is super padded along inside calf with the diamond stitch. Jean wrinkles were never an issue with these. If you don't find a skinny you like just pull the extra leg of a regular width jean out in front, so it's smooth against your back calf, then fold it over to the outside, so it's smooth on inside calf. Kind of like a french roll without the roll (for you 80s folk), and slap chap over that. Any bunching should occur along the zipper line. You may have to ruin a pair of spurs by stretching them out to get them to ride over the jean :D

dags
May. 13, 2010, 10:14 AM
If you want to ride in jeans (which I do most of the time) you should wear them with chaps or half-chaps. I firmly believe that you shouldn't be able to wear jeans with your tall boots if your boots fit you properly...even the thin, stretchy jeans are too thick in the ankle and calf. If you have pull-ons, I don't even see how it's possible! :confused:

Wanted to clarify my jean loving post after I saw this - it would never even occur to me to where boots over jeans. I agree, it shouldn't even be possible. Though I have seen some of those dreaded skinny jeans that would probably work, so I would guess that's a trend that has arisen with that.

I do adore having to own no other breeches than my TSs for show!

englishivy
May. 13, 2010, 10:20 AM
Kind of like a french roll without the roll (for you 80s folk), and slap chap over that.

YES!!!!! :lol: That's exactly what you do to get a smooth inside calf!

I knew that fashion trend would come in handy one day ;)

danceronice
May. 13, 2010, 10:50 AM
I ride in a Crosby PDN in Wrangler boot-cut jeans and hiking boots from TSC. (Largely because most days I don't have the time, space or inclination to change clothes after the barn.) I don't have a problem with leg slipping or the seam (Wrangler is one of the few brands that seems to assume you'll actually be on a horse in them and so cuts the jeans so the seams don't rub.) I couldn't even BEGIN to try and get my tall boots over them--it wouldn't occur to me to try. Sometimes I get pinched a bit from the leathers, but nothing that bothers me so long as I can keep my leg in place, which I do quite easily.

HUET Brunette
May. 13, 2010, 11:33 AM
Most times I ride in breeches and tall boots, but have an occasional urge to wear and jeans and half chaps. Either way I still wear a belt with my shirts tucked in.

I also second the stretch DKNY jeans - which I wore until I grew out of them. But have recently switched to Express brand - lots of room and aren't too low-rise. They aren't skinny per say, but rather straight-leg. And they are comfortable!

And I too have seen riders in tall boots and jeans! And my personal favorite - tall boots and sweatpants.

LookinSouth
May. 13, 2010, 11:46 AM
YES!!!!! :lol: That's exactly what you do to get a smooth inside calf!

I knew that fashion trend would come in handy one day ;)

Ditto. This is what I do as well, roll the excess of the jeans at the bottom snugly/neatly towards the outside of each ankle.
More often than not I ride in jeans and half chaps. I buy bootcut jeans made of thinner denim with some stretch and without a thick seam along the leg. I am not a huge fan of skinny jeans and I like to be comfortable enough to run errands after the barn or take my dog out for a walk. I have been able to find Guess jeans, Seven and several other brands at TJ Maxx, Marshalls and even Goodwill for affordable prices (under 30.00) that are great jeans for riding.

Riding with jeans and tall boots I would imagine would be really uncomfortable. I agree it would just look odd. As far as the breeches trend I don't think nice fitting jeans, clean half chaps, poloshirt and belt looks any sloppier than people
who ride in breeches, half chaps and a baggy t-shirt.

Diva98
May. 13, 2010, 11:48 AM
My old student, who's been out of the show scene as long as I have now (about 6 years) texted the other day saying, "What is with all these BREECHES?"

She had just moved into what is probably a more show-geared barn after hiding out at an eventing place for several years. She said everyone gave her funny looks for riding in jeans (with half chaps).

The whole point of this selfish trip down memory lane is that I always ride in jeans, which is now apparently passe. I blame the wimpy french saddles and their precious pommel leather (which I simultaneously adore). Any jeans - and 6 years and beyond ago skinny jeans were definitely not in style. In fact, flared bottoms were, and I shoved them in my half chap, too. My only rule of thumb was to not pay more than $40-60 on them :)

Should note I've always used the Ariat half-chap - the one that is super padded along inside calf with the diamond stitch. Jean wrinkles were never an issue with these. If you don't find a skinny you like just pull the extra leg of a regular width jean out in front, so it's smooth against your back calf, then fold it over to the outside, so it's smooth on inside calf. Kind of like a french roll without the roll (for you 80s folk), and slap chap over that. Any bunching should occur along the zipper line. You may have to ruin a pair of spurs by stretching them out to get them to ride over the jean :D

LOL - this is exactly what I was thinking. I am not riding currently but when I go visit friends or look at pictures I am always amazed that everyone is in breeches and half chaps. I always do jeans and half or full chaps. I used to buy mine at the gap - they had a high waisted mom jean that had a straight leg. But I am pretty skilled at the pseudo french roll under a chap with any type of jean.

The other thing that drives me nuts: I used to ride at a barn where the kids would ride in shorts and full chaps. I don't know why - but it grossed me out!

doublesstable
May. 13, 2010, 01:36 PM

I use those Ariat Half chaps too... and, yeah - I was in high school in the 80's.... (french roll) :lol: Oh memories. Even on the button up shirt sleeves. "I remember that" :lol:

Im tall so most of my jeans are flooders so spurs fit nicely below...

I only ride in jeans if I go to the barn to clean etc wearing jeans and decide that I want to ride... If I know I am riding I wear breeches.. I really prefer a knee patch.. Any amount of help for staying on is a plus....

NorthFaceFarm
May. 13, 2010, 01:36 PM
I ride in gap straight leg jeans and half chaps every day. They do stretch out though. Available in a variety of washes and rises. I get them for like $11-20 at their outlet stores.

two sticks
May. 13, 2010, 01:44 PM
I mostly ride in breeches & talls now since my paddock boots died and I have yet to replace them. However, I used to do jeans and half chaps or full chaps a lot, and I found that the best jeans for riding were the ones I got a pacific sunwear. Skinny leg, come in a "short" length (I'm 5'5), nice and stretchy, not too thick, not too low-rise, and cheap! ($50 for 2 pair when I got them).

Dappled Grey
May. 13, 2010, 01:45 PM
Oh I have tried everything on this front. Agree about reserving jeans only for half-chaps, not tall boots. On the jeans front:

Levis - love them and the price is pretty good, but a little too stiff.

Pacific Sunwear - Found cheap stretchy skinnies there. might have looked cheap too I guess, but rode well.

Joes - I loved Joe's jean for riding - the fit and stretch were perfect. But they are very expensive and after a tear across the hind end of a relatively new pair, that was the end of that.

I also scour resale shops for jeans to ride in. Once found a very cute pair of Juicy jeans that were so soft and smooth and cute, but they alas ripped as well.

Now I am at a dressage barn and we only do breeches. But I did get a pair of the new Goode Rider denim breeches and LOVE them.

LauraKY
May. 13, 2010, 01:45 PM
For polo, what else would you ride in? With tall polo boots. Chaps for winter with jeans for practices, shorts with chaps for summer (yes siree!)

ToTheNines
May. 13, 2010, 01:56 PM
Try the Schmidt brand jeans from TSC. They fit great, low rise but not too low and little stretch. They are boot cut, but the material is not real heavy or stiff so they fold nicely under chaps. Only about $20 too.

KateKat
May. 13, 2010, 02:17 PM
I don't ride in jeans now only because I hate the feeling of them when my legs get sweaty. Ick. So I'm all breeches now, as unflattering as they can be. But, when I did I had a great pair of Gap Outlet stretchy boot cut jeans. The seams were relatively flat and they had a good amount of give so that, you know, you didn't get stuck trying to swing your leg over while mounting or something ;)

Jumpthemoon16
May. 13, 2010, 02:19 PM
I'm not trying to be snarky, but my hormones are on overtime and this is one of my pet peeves.....

I had a client who rode in (zip-up) tall boots & jeans, and she just looked totally silly. It reminded me of someone wearing prada heels with running shorts.

There are a few riding pants out there made to look like jeans; perhaps trying those?

ETA: what do barns with a "dress code" think of riding in jeans with tall boots? I assume they want you in classic riding apparel, which would not be jeans. As I said before, it just looked silly to me.

My barn has a pretty strict dress code. Collard shirts & belts at all times, haha. So no, they don't allow riding in jeans unless its your first lesson there. Then they tell the newbies to go out and buy breeches.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 13, 2010, 02:49 PM
One more word of advice - don't ride in high end jeans. Not because you'll ruin them, but because they will ruin your saddle. Anything with a dark wash and "loose" dye will do a number on your saddle.

Rockfish
May. 13, 2010, 03:00 PM
Joe's Jeans makes some really good skinny's. You can find them sometimes at a TJ Maxx or Marshalls so you don't have to pay dept. store prices for something that might get cruddied up at the barn.

JillCozza
May. 13, 2010, 03:08 PM
I ride in jeans over western boots all the time, and some days in my breeches and field boots, I am happy to ride in either

and I did in my Luc Childeric (wimpy french, haha) my seat held up

:)

eventer80
May. 13, 2010, 03:09 PM
So I guess my question is:

If you have time to change into the jeans why not just change in to breeches?

Are you wearing the skinny jeans to work/school/whatever and just want to be able to slap on a pair of boots?

Not judging, just wondering.

Sometimes, when I am in a HUGE rush, I run home and put on my Mountain Horse High Riders over my jeans. I only wear boot cut jeans, and they fit over my jeans.

doublesstable
May. 13, 2010, 03:47 PM
So I guess my question is:

If you have time to change into the jeans why not just change in to breeches?

Are you wearing the skinny jeans to work/school/whatever and just want to be able to slap on a pair of boots?

Not judging, just wondering.

I don't know if this was for me as well.. ??

When I do ride in jeans it's because maybe I went to the store, or someplace or just planned on cleaning stalls or turn out, grooming which will get my breeches dirty... so I wear the jeans... then decide I want to ride and don't really have time to go change.

In my world with four kids, business, house cleaning my riding window is usually pretty small....

spacytracy
May. 13, 2010, 04:24 PM
I have been eyeballing the goode rider jeans on dover's sale catalog right now. What do they look like on the bottom? Do they even resemble jeans from the knee down? I've seen some that are like stocking material below the chap mark.

Pony+ an inch
May. 13, 2010, 04:33 PM
I'm going to post a caveat on Joe's Jeans--

I love them. Love love love the fit and tailoring and washes.

BUT--I just had a pair that I've worn for less than four months tear a huge one all along the crotch. I hadn't even ridden in these jeans. I hand-washed them, had actually LOST weight since when I first purchased them. It just so happens I started to get in the car and they went RIP.

After that incident, I would be hesitant to invest in a pair for riding let alone normal day wear. They were a huge clothing investment on my part and I am really bummed to not have them any more.

Check out madewell jeans--they have a great rail straight pair. I have a pair that's lasted me for two years now with a lot of daily abuse, and I think I'm going to use them as my riding jeans now. The rise on them is also good--no butt cracks etc.

Prima Donna
May. 13, 2010, 04:45 PM
Yes it is a little embarassing to shop among teenagers at the advanced age of 27 but they are usually $13.00 and fit in my tall boots. I wear a belt with them but they have some that are not super low rise. If they are too long, I just fold the jeans under. And for $13.00, why not?

kateh
May. 13, 2010, 04:59 PM
Almost all my jeans are some version of Gap bootcut, and I ride in just about any pair that I don't care that much about lol. For me, as long as it's not flares or too tight, I can ride in it. And a critical point: no buttons on butt pockets!! I do the pull and fold to get the inside of my leg is smooth. Also, if I have to wear spurs, I typically put them on under my chaps.

jrzeqrider
May. 13, 2010, 05:59 PM
Forever 21 makes jeans that are super stretchy and thin, almost like leggings. (I think some people actually call them jeggings) They look and feel like jeans, I think there's just more spandex in them then regular denim. They come in the "skinny" style, so they work really well under half chaps. Plus, they only cost like 15 bucks, so if they don't last real long, no big deal. That being said, I still hate riding in any kind of jean, and agree that jeans shouldn't fit under tall boots.. And even if you can fit them, they look silly.

NeedsAdvil
May. 13, 2010, 06:30 PM
I bought the Ariat Tek denim breeches, and wear those with my tall boots. I think it looks sharp, but I doubt I could fit my tall boots over regular jeans. I buy the cheap stretchy Levi's at Target or Walmart, they are usually under $20 a pair and wear those with either paddock boots and half chaps or my full chaps. 9 times out of 10 though, I go straight for my jean "breeches" and tall boots.

citydog
May. 13, 2010, 07:15 PM
I buy the cheap stretchy Levi's at Target or Walmart, they are usually under $20 a pair and wear those with either paddock boots and half chaps

Yep. The Old Navy "Sweetheart" cut jeans also work well and have really flat, unobtrusive seams.

Jacqui
May. 13, 2010, 08:29 PM
JCrew Matchstick jeans are perfect with 1/2 chaps!

theinstigator
May. 13, 2010, 08:36 PM
I wait until Old Navy has their ridiculous jean sale once a year (I think they end up being like $12 a pair) and I get at least 2-4 pair strictly for the barn. They're inexpensive, look decent w/paddock boots for when I have to make stops on the way home from the barn, and hold up surprisingly well. I know ON doesn't fit everyone but they work for me, thankfully!

crazyhorses
May. 13, 2010, 09:10 PM
I used to ride in jeans all the time. But now I live in AZ and it's too darn hot to do that! And, I kept ripping my jeans in middle of my thighs lol

ashley.
May. 13, 2010, 09:37 PM
I always wear either my HotTopic skinny jeans, they're awesome and stretch a ton and are very breathable, awesome jeans, or I ride in my ReRock skinny jeans from Express. I love riding in both of them, much more so then riding pants, usually because my riding pants are too thin and I want something thicker because its colder that day or because I'm going somewhere. I just fold the bottoms of them up until they come about an inch or so above my ankle bone, then i fold the excess over going towards the outside so it doesn't interfere with anything. VERY comfortable!

HunterObsession
May. 13, 2010, 10:09 PM
Yep. The Old Navy "Sweetheart" cut jeans also work well and have really flat, unobtrusive seams.

I ride in Old Navy Sweetheart jeans everyday. They last forever, are cheap, and a plus since I am super short is they actually have short ones.

superpony123
May. 13, 2010, 10:34 PM
if you have at least a halfway decent saddle then buy jeans that are made for riding, by riding companies. yea, its probably a little more expensive, but it's not as expensive as replacing the seat of your saddle!! i never ever ever ride in jeans, and when someone hops on my horse for a quick shool and they wear jeans, it leaves noticeable wear right after (though i dont think its anything serious, because once i clean and condition right after, i cant see a thing--but if it were for more than five minutes and if it were everyday, it would leave some damage from the seam)

use jeans made for riding because they make it so the seam is on the inside, like breeches are, so that it wont rub the seat.

mypaintwattie
May. 13, 2010, 11:02 PM
I'm glad to see some others think it looks silly to see skinny jeans and tall boots, I don't think I will ever understand that trend.... I hardly ever ride in my english saddle in jeans, if I do it's the stretchy ones from either Old Navy or Walmart- they are comfortable and fit well under half or full chaps. Most of my jeans riding is reserved for my western saddle- I'd rather not have to replace the seat of my PJ.

citydog
May. 13, 2010, 11:04 PM
I ride in Old Navy Sweetheart jeans everyday. They last forever, are cheap, and a plus since I am super short is they actually have short ones.

And long ones! :)

Sithly
May. 14, 2010, 12:03 AM
I can't stand skinny jeans. I wear boot cut, then just gather the excess into one long fold down the outside of my leg. Zip down the half-chaps, and we're good to go. It doesn't add much bulk, and (for me anyway) is far less annoying than dealing with skinny jeans.

headsupheelsdown
May. 14, 2010, 12:34 AM
I have seen more than one rider have to replace the seat of their saddle because of wearing jeans on a regular basis!

BrookdaleBay
May. 14, 2010, 12:46 AM
I always ride in jeans, I feel too uncomfortable in breeches. I ride in jeans in various cuts and denim thicknesses from Garage, and I have a couple of pairs of MOTO jeans that are thick for winter riding. Even with back pocket buttons and thick seams, my saddle has absolutely no marks or wear.
I normally ride in half chaps, but I have a pair of skinny jeans from Garage that fit perfectly under my tall boots.

claire
May. 14, 2010, 05:06 AM
http://www.horsewomanspirit.com/ridingJeans.html

Have to admit, sometimes I still love the option of wearing jeans w/half chaps or my very favorite custom leather full chaps. :cool:

These have a great weight, no inner leg seams and fit easily under chaps. AND they come in regular and long lengths!

(They also have a boot cut version and a weird looking "breech"?)

edit to add:
I have never noticed any problem with my saddle, although I mostly ride in regular breeches.

Mimi La Rue
May. 14, 2010, 02:18 PM
My favorite skinny jeans (well they are more like "jeggings") are a brand called "Grane." I find them at Macys in the juniors department. They are cheap usually $14-$24 for a pair. The material is very soft and strechy.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 14, 2010, 03:42 PM
This thread makes me want to go jean shopping :(

leilatigress
May. 14, 2010, 03:49 PM
Loff my jeans forever!! I always ride in jeans and have never had any issues with my seat back pockets in all. I do not ride in the jeans with the brads on the pockets though as those will tear your seat up.

tartan
May. 14, 2010, 04:27 PM
I ride in Silver Aiko Slim jeans, have a few pairs, and they are great! Super skinny leg, stretchy and you can pick your inseam length. They're low rise, but being short waisted with long legs, this is better than a rise up to my boobs!

A lot of people have stated they hate the jeans and boots look, but I love it. Judging by how many jeans and 'riding boot' outfits I saw this past fall/winter on the street, I'd say it's pretty in style.

Luckily my Stubben has sturdier leather than a lot of the french saddles, and I have seen no wear in the past year.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 14, 2010, 04:38 PM
Jeans and a boot with a heel = great street look. Jeans and real field boots in the saddle = ewwwww

alteringwego
May. 14, 2010, 07:05 PM
I rode in jeans until I realized out the seam in the crotch was wearing out the twist of my new PJ saddle. Jeans went bye bye. Breeches are back in. PJ is holy!

dags
May. 15, 2010, 11:21 AM
I rode in jeans until I realized out the seam in the crotch was wearing out the twist of my new PJ saddle. Jeans went bye bye. Breeches are back in. PJ is holy!

I'm just gonna borrow this as a reason to why I should be perfectly happy with my 10 y.o. Crosby Equilibrium, and stop whining about getting a PJ. The idea of wearing breeches every day successfully squishes the urge ;)

tartan
May. 15, 2010, 01:24 PM
Jeans and a boot with a heel = great street look. Jeans and real field boots in the saddle = ewwwww

I disagree, no heel necessary! I think this middle outfit is super cute- I wore something similar all winter.

Total fashion hijack :winkgrin:

http://www.bussbuss.com/bussbuss_articles/articles/001100.shtml

NorthFaceFarm
May. 15, 2010, 02:18 PM
That's fine, but putting that person in a saddle...would look ridiculous and disgusting.

lexie1
May. 18, 2010, 12:20 AM
I second the Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. You can get them at Kohl's for around $20 on sale. They are super stretchy and lightweight (a must in my climate) and the danged waist stays where it's supposed to - your waist :)

I'm so old I still wear schooling chaps. And I still ride in the Crosby PDN I got in 1984 for my 16th birthday. It's pigskin and just plain indestructible. Well not totally. I am on my 4th, yes 4th, set of billet straps. Not bad for 26 years of riding. But I just bought a Pessoa XP3 so not sure how long riding in chaps will last.

There is nothing uglier than the butt crack I have to see on the girls and young ladies at the barn. I want to tell them that maybe low rise is the thing if you're standing still, but as soon as you crouch down to put on splint boots, you're showing way more than I want or need to see.