PDA

View Full Version : OTTB work in progress

fordtraktor
May. 12, 2010, 08:31 PM
After basically two years off due to procreation on my part, I'm finally restarting my OTTB. He had about 6 months on him when he went on vacation.

I'm so pleased! He's settled a bit with old age (he's 8 now) and remembered what I'd taught him. He's a sensitive boy and a little hot, but I'm hopeful that with some time he'll settle into a nice little horse.

Thoughts on him/me? Pics attached from ride 2. Please criticize away -- I do realize I have my defensive "green horse hunch" and need to get my shoulders back. He's sensitive and a bucker -- old habits die hard. I'm working on it! What else? Thanks.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2897654510053911905VWBPpo

fordtraktor
May. 13, 2010, 12:13 PM
No one wants to pick apart my horrid posture, twisted rein, open fingers, and horse covered in green spit? I'm disappointed! Gosh, I guess this means I'm perfect! ;)

Hunter Mom
May. 13, 2010, 12:18 PM
Not much of a critique, but he's adorable! What a cutie!

Big_Grey_hunter
May. 13, 2010, 03:26 PM
No critiique, but I like him!

Seven
May. 13, 2010, 03:38 PM
He is very cute :cool: and congrats getting back to it after babies! I've had a few myself and saddle time is all the sweeter now! :winkgrin:

I'll comment that it appears like you're bracing on the stirrups and letting him work without leg contact. If it were me (and I'm also working on the same thing) I'd work on reestablishing leg contact with him soonest so you can softly relax against his sides and he can learn to accept it. I find with these sensitive types it's all to easy to get in the habit of taking leg contact away to get a quieter/softer ride in the short run but it does you no favors later when you're trying to use your legs. I could be wrong though - pictures only reveal so much.

It is nice to find the same horse you left. :cool: Congrats on getting back on and hopefully you'll have many wonderful years to come.

netg
May. 13, 2010, 05:22 PM
I think you covered the flaws yourself!

If you decide you don't love him and want him to have a nice dressage home, I'd totally take him from what he shows in those photos! :D

(I have my own 8 year old OTTB I'm doing dressage with... but if I didn't, I'd be more serious in that offer, as he looks very lovely!)

fordtraktor
May. 13, 2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks! He's a sweetie. And sorry Quinn, not for sale at this point, maybe ever!

Good call, Seven. When I do put my leg on him, he is much more through and forward and focused. Definitely something to work on.

Quinn
May. 13, 2010, 09:04 PM
He's lovely. :)

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

Anyplace Farm
May. 14, 2010, 10:31 AM
He's gorgeous - what a face! And high five to you for looking so awesome after procreation!

jumpingmaya
May. 14, 2010, 10:37 AM
He's gorgeous - what a face! And high five to you for looking so awesome after procreation!

I second all that!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

For sure, I'd work on your lower leg... he will accept contact, it's a habit and easiest if you do it from the beginning. You guys look very nice together though!!!
Have fun!!! :D