PDA

View Full Version : Rowel Spurs???

Gideon
May. 12, 2010, 06:22 PM
Are rowel spurs legal in the hunter ring, or are they considered unconventional and frowned upon? Thanks.

kellyb
May. 12, 2010, 06:36 PM
The latter.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
May. 12, 2010, 06:40 PM
"Unconventional" is always subjective, so take that with a grain of salt. That being said, I would wonder why anyone would actually NEED rowel spurs in the hunter ring??

Gideon
May. 12, 2010, 06:43 PM
"Unconventional" is always subjective, so take that with a grain of salt. That being said, I would wonder why anyone would actually NEED rowel spurs in the hunter ring??

A lazy WB who ignores traditional spurs.:D

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
May. 12, 2010, 07:01 PM
A lazy WB who ignores traditional spurs.:D

I have one of these horses. Do this:

1. Purchase a dressage whip.
2. Get on horse armed with said dressage whip.
3. Do A LOT of upward transitions. When horse ignores the leg (which he will) give him a good, hard smack with the whip. Do this for about 20 minutes.
4. Drop the whip.
5. Enjoy your newly well-tuned-to-the-leg horse.
6. Touch up as needed.

Seriously, there is no reason that a hunter needs rowels, much like there is no reason for a horse to have spur marks on its sides. The basic transitions necessary of a hunter are extremely easy to tune using a few well-timed sessions with the whip. "Laziness" is actually a behavior issue, not a personality trait.

My guy tends toward laziness and general slow response to leg aides. While I ride him in "soft touch" spurs, I have found that he doesn't need anything more than that if I keep him tuned to my leg. I do a lot of transition work (focusing not just on upward transitions, but downward transitions- these guys tend to collapse during downward transitions, and it's important NOT to let them do this). It's gotten to the point that he KNOWS what's coming the second the whip comes out (every 4-6 weeks). It "whips" him into shape rather quickly.

I know you didn't ask for advice, but I really recommend giving this method a try before strapping on what could be considered unconventional equipment.

Beyond that, I have also found a straighter spur without the downward curve of a traditional POW to be more effective at times.

TexasAggieEventer
May. 12, 2010, 07:24 PM
Maybe perhaps check Jane Savoie's piece on getting your horse to "think forward."

I considered my horse very lazy and as a result of my efforts of trying to keep him going forward, I made him dull to my aids. Jane's techniques are doing wonders for my horse and he now marches along and maintains his energy rather than me constantly working to do it for him.

http://www.janesavoie.com/blog/rearing-bucking-or-lazy-horses-need-to-be-taught-to-think-forward/

She has a lot of videos on youtube - you might check to see if she has one out there on the subject.

Good luck!

alteringwego
May. 12, 2010, 07:43 PM
yes they're legal. Tune ups are better but yes, you will see a fairly good bit of them.

Gideon
May. 12, 2010, 08:44 PM
Maybe perhaps check Jane Savoie's piece on getting your horse to "think forward."

I considered my horse very lazy and as a result of my efforts of trying to keep him going forward, I made him dull to my aids. Jane's techniques are doing wonders for my horse and he now marches along and maintains his energy rather than me constantly working to do it for him.

http://www.janesavoie.com/blog/rearing-bucking-or-lazy-horses-need-to-be-taught-to-think-forward/

She has a lot of videos on youtube - you might check to see if she has one out there on the subject.

Good luck!

Great article, thanks for sharing.
I'm going to try this with my horse and see how he responds to it. I'm tired of carrying him around the ring every ride.;)

Gideon
May. 12, 2010, 08:47 PM

3. Do A LOT of upward transitions. When horse ignores the leg (which he will) give him a good, hard smack with the whip. Do this for about 20 minutes.
4. Drop the whip.
6. Touch up as needed.

Seriously, there is no reason that a hunter needs rowels, much like there is no reason for a horse to have spur marks on its sides. The basic transitions necessary of a hunter are extremely easy to tune using a few well-timed sessions with the whip. "Laziness" is actually a behavior issue, not a personality trait.

My guy tends toward laziness and general slow response to leg aides. While I ride him in "soft touch" spurs, I have found that he doesn't need anything more than that if I keep him tuned to my leg. I do a lot of transition work (focusing not just on upward transitions, but downward transitions- these guys tend to collapse during downward transitions, and it's important NOT to let them do this). It's gotten to the point that he KNOWS what's coming the second the whip comes out (every 4-6 weeks). It "whips" him into shape rather quickly.

I know you didn't ask for advice, but I really recommend giving this method a try before strapping on what could be considered unconventional equipment.

Beyond that, I have also found a straighter spur without the downward curve of a traditional POW to be more effective at times.

I've done this, but not on a consistent basis and maybe that's the problem.:cool:

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
May. 12, 2010, 09:37 PM
I've done this, but not on a consistent basis and maybe that's the problem.:cool:

I find that mine needs a "refresher" every month or six weeks. When I get lazy, he starts getting lazy. I think it's one of those things you have to be consistent about- kind of like a curfew with unruly teenagers :c).

superpony123
May. 12, 2010, 10:14 PM

4. Drop the whip.
6. Touch up as needed.

i agree 100%

Tha Ridge
May. 12, 2010, 10:23 PM
Are we talking rowel or little "pizza cutters"? If the latter, then you see plenty of them.

LShipley
May. 12, 2010, 11:01 PM
I only ride local circuit. I do use the rowel spurs, and it is legal locally, at least.

I don't see many of these spurs at the local shows, but my mare and I do best with this type of spur (for us, more the length than anything else).

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
May. 13, 2010, 10:56 AM
I would give a swan neck spur a good, hard try before going to the rowels: http://www.calevo.com/calevo/images/items/2210112g.jpg.