PDA

View Full Version : The horse made me proud. Just had to share!

Auventera Two
May. 12, 2010, 01:32 PM
Sweets has been ridden twice I think since last October. First she needed time off to heal from anaplasmosis so she sat for 5 months. Then Libbey started going downhill and a lot of time was spent with her. Trying to keep Andre going and on the trail as much as possible, and keeping Fat Blondie exercised.....and well, my poor Sweets sat around gathering dust.

Last night it was raining and windy but I tacked her up and hopped on for a quick jaunt around the pasture. Only rode about 30 minutes but Blondie and Andre were she-bat crazy, running laps and bucking the whole time. I think they were trying to see who could outrun the other. The wind caught a piece of white plastic that blew in from somehwere and she just watched it go by. She was in her stall all day yesterday due to the rain.

Sweets had every excuse in the book to be a nut job but she was perfectly obedient and absolutely well mannered. We cantered a few times and she was just wonderful. She felt so happy and forward and she just wanted to GO!

The last time I rode her was in March and we got rained on that day too. We trailered up to one of our favorite trails and did a short ride. She was perfect that day too.

She was awesome last summer too, she did lots of trail rides and she was basically spook and shenanigan free. She felt so confident and solid.

Hooray! :D It's such a wonderful feeling for her to be to a place where I just don't have to worry about anything. Just get on and RIDE. Two years ago I wouldn't have thought I could feel so safe and carefree on her. She's come a long way.

Anyway, it will be slow going to bring her back into condition but I am SO looking forward to it! :) Just wanted to post the happy update.

Dispatcher
May. 12, 2010, 01:47 PM
What a good girl!! Those Arabs are something else!

Zu Zu
May. 12, 2010, 06:13 PM
Great rides ~ are special ! You should be so proud of Sweets ~ and the nice mare you have "made" ~ NICE !! :cool::D

goeslikestink
May. 13, 2010, 03:39 PM
Sweets has been ridden twice I think since last October. First she needed time off to heal from anaplasmosis so she sat for 5 months. Then Libbey started going downhill and a lot of time was spent with her. Trying to keep Andre going and on the trail as much as possible, and keeping Fat Blondie exercised.....and well, my poor Sweets sat around gathering dust.

Last night it was raining and windy but I tacked her up and hopped on for a quick jaunt around the pasture. Only rode about 30 minutes but Blondie and Andre were she-bat crazy, running laps and bucking the whole time. I think they were trying to see who could outrun the other. The wind caught a piece of white plastic that blew in from somehwere and she just watched it go by. She was in her stall all day yesterday due to the rain.

Sweets had every excuse in the book to be a nut job but she was perfectly obedient and absolutely well mannered. We cantered a few times and she was just wonderful. She felt so happy and forward and she just wanted to GO!

The last time I rode her was in March and we got rained on that day too. We trailered up to one of our favorite trails and did a short ride. She was perfect that day too.

She was awesome last summer too, she did lots of trail rides and she was basically spook and shenanigan free. She felt so confident and solid.

Hooray! :D It's such a wonderful feeling for her to be to a place where I just don't have to worry about anything. Just get on and RIDE. Two years ago I wouldn't have thought I could feel so safe and carefree on her. She's come a long way.

Anyway, it will be slow going to bring her back into condition but I am SO looking forward to it! :) Just wanted to post the happy update.

really nice way to rehab a horse thats been off work for 5mths poor horsey

Huntertwo
May. 13, 2010, 03:44 PM

What's the freakin problem??? She rode for 30 minutes.

PRS
May. 13, 2010, 03:52 PM

Uh...what's the problem? She rode the horse for 30 minutes!

Auventera Two
May. 13, 2010, 04:07 PM
Ok, so we have to have another trainwrecked thread? Really? Does it never get old for some people or what?

Yes, riding a horse for 30 minutes - about 22 minutes of which was walk on a loose rein with 3 stops to eat grass is cruel. Poor horsey indeed.

mp
May. 13, 2010, 04:16 PM
I hope to ride my horse for the first time in 8 months this weekend. If we go 30+ minutes, I'll be sure to let everyone know. Especially if he behaves himself.

goeslikestink
May. 13, 2010, 04:30 PM
Ok, so we have to have another trainwrecked thread? Really? Does it never get old for some people or what?

Yes, riding a horse for 30 minutes - about 22 minutes of which was walk on a loose rein with 3 stops to eat grass is cruel. Poor horsey indeed.

i am entitled to my opnion - i just wouldnt re hab my horses in the same way you do yours [edit] if they had been sick/ injury tiny steps a bit at a time-and be consistant with my workload so thay they build up there fitness levels to a proper exercise programme - in order to help them regain full fitness

Huntertwo
May. 13, 2010, 05:45 PM
i am entitled to my opnion - i just wouldnt re hab my horses in the same way you do yours i would have a more compassion for my animals if they had been sick/ injury tiny steps a bit at a time-and be consistant with my workload so thay they build up there fitness levels to a proper exercise programme - in order to help them regain full fitness

[edit]

GLS - You could care less how A2 reconditions her horse, so I won't even respond to that again.

[edit]

cloudy18
May. 13, 2010, 11:07 PM
That's great that she was so good. I'd love to have a horse like that. I hope some day just one of mine will be the horse I can pull out of the pasture at any time and be assured of getting a decent ride on.
My horse had winter off and I rode her for more than 30 minutes the first time out, through sticky snow. She's also about 22 years old. She seems to have lived to ride another day. And stop using big words, it's getting late here.

Dispatcher
May. 14, 2010, 07:45 AM
i am entitled to my opnion - i just wouldnt re hab my horses in the same way you do yours [edit] if they had been sick/ injury tiny steps a bit at a time-and be consistant with my workload so thay they build up there fitness levels to a proper exercise programme - in order to help them regain full fitness

You mean you wouldn't start out walking your horse for 20 minutes? Please tell us exactly what you would do. I'm very curious

Moderator 1
May. 14, 2010, 08:08 AM
Please avoid the personal commentary from BOTH sides.

Mod 1

Auventera Two
May. 14, 2010, 08:39 AM
That's great that she was so good. I'd love to have a horse like that. I hope some day just one of mine will be the horse I can pull out of the pasture at any time and be assured of getting a decent ride on.
My horse had winter off and I rode her for more than 30 minutes the first time out, through sticky snow. She's also about 22 years old. She seems to have lived to ride another day. And stop using big words, it's getting late here.

Considering Sweets was out there galloping laps yesterday for probably an hour, bucking, rearing, head tossing, snorting....rinse and repeat....., I'd say she survived her 30 minute hack just fine. :lol: And after all that running and goofing around, she wasn't the least bit damp or hot so she's probably in much better shape than I think she is. Still going to take it slow though.

She was so wonderful last summer and she's doing great so far this year. It's a great feeling to have her all ironed out finally. She's such a cool horse and SO fun to ride! :)

Glad to hear your girl was good also! These good trail horses are worth their weight in gold. :yes: