PDA

View Full Version : Show Scheduling - Fairfield... UGH

Lucassb
May. 12, 2010, 01:14 PM
So just got the prize list for the FCHC A show on Friday of last week (super, as entries closed on Monday.)

Once again they have decided to schedule ALL the adult classes on... TUESDAY.

I get that *someone* needs to show early in the week, I really do. But I do think that it would have been nice if at least SOME of the adult stuff could have been offered later in the week, at least, if not on Saturday.

The schedule has the adult eq starting Tuesday first thing, and then running back to back for the rest of the day. Seven straight classes if you do both the regular division and the medals. And, those classes run against the adult hunters - which similarly run all day on Tuesday.

That is way too much for one horse to do on a single day, IMO, so basically they are limiting the adults who <gasp> only have one horse to show to a single division.

(They do the same with the childrens eq/hunters later in the week, FWIW.)

Could they really not have put them on separate days?

InWhyCee Redux
May. 12, 2010, 01:54 PM
Must be really nice to have Monday and Tuesday off to go to a horse show. ;)

Lucassb
May. 12, 2010, 01:59 PM
Must be really nice to have Monday and Tuesday off to go to a horse show. ;)

*sigh* I am sure it must be. ;)

Guess they are catering to the crowd that doesn't need to worry about having to work... and/or those that have multiple horses for hunters, eq, etc.

I personally will just be shipping in on Tuesday (and yes, taking a day off to do it) and I know a few other adults who will be doing the same.

We'd all have gotten stalls and treated it a bit like a mini vacation if the schedule had been a little friendlier. At least if the division runs on Friday you can enjoy a long weekend.

ponymom64
May. 12, 2010, 02:13 PM
The schedule at FHC is always difficult for the working rider or parent to manage! It would be easier if they would just switch it to Wed - Sun scheduling like most other shows!

I will say, that as un-working person friendly as Fairfield is - the schedule for Ox Ridge was even worse - at least for the divisions we were trying to enter

Lucassb
May. 12, 2010, 02:34 PM
The schedule at FHC is always difficult for the working rider or parent to manage! It would be easier if they would just switch it to Wed - Sun scheduling like most other shows!

I will say, that as un-working person friendly as Fairfield is - the schedule for Ox Ridge was even worse - at least for the divisions we were trying to enter

You are so right... why oh why don't they run through Sunday?? It's so bizarre. Is there some sort of club rule or function that gets in the way?

But I know what you mean about Ox Ridge... my stuff would be on Friday (which is certainly preferable to Tuesday but still means a day off work) - not sure we will do that, especially with the history of bad weather.

ponymom64
May. 12, 2010, 03:18 PM
You are so right... why oh why don't they run through Sunday?? It's so bizarre. Is there some sort of club rule or function that gets in the way?

But I know what you mean about Ox Ridge... my stuff would be on Friday (which is certainly preferable to Tuesday but still means a day off work) - not sure we will do that, especially with the history of bad weather.

I don't think there is any club function and I don't think there is another that conflicts anymore. I'm thinking maybe Farmington used to be right after???

Anyway - we're opting out of Ox Ridge this year - too hard to manage with the jr hunters going Thursday and Friday pm - can't be out of work two afternoons in a row plus out the following week for FHC. And the weather is always an issue AND it's super expensive this year.....

NYCGIRL
May. 12, 2010, 04:47 PM
There is a reason it is over on sat it is because Lake Placid starts on tue. A lot of people ship sun and mon so it is nice for the show to be done sat. For me it is horrible even though i do lake placid. I have pre green horse that goes with a pro and I show in the adults. The pre greens go wed and adults go tue so we are skipping fairfield and doing ox ridge even though i swore after last year I would never do again.

crazyhorses
May. 12, 2010, 06:26 PM
Never been, but it's just like the UPS guys. They come at 10 in the morning or 2 in the afternoon. Because you know, no one works.

Lucassb
May. 12, 2010, 06:40 PM
Never been, but it's just like the UPS guys. They come at 10 in the morning or 2 in the afternoon. Because you know, no one works.

Very true!!! LOL

I have a hard time believing they are just trying to make things more convenient for the shippers, personally. I mean, there are big shows in this area every week, most of the year. But whatever. I think what they really did was cost themselves some entry and stall $$$$$!

NYCGIRL
May. 12, 2010, 07:15 PM
It has nothing to do with the shippers, but has everything to do with making more money. A lot of barns ship to lake placid sun so if classes went on sun a good amount of barns would not go or would not bring people who show sun. So they end sat it allows the barns to leave sun.

toomanyponies
May. 12, 2010, 10:18 PM
nah, it all has to do with owning show dates and mileage rules and some such, I bet.

Rhody Ram
May. 13, 2010, 12:09 AM
Yeah per usual. Farmington used to be on the 4th of July weekend though. Despite the many issues I still miss that show! Fairfield barely got any adult hunter entries last year so it's not really working out for them. Less than 20 in the youngers for the past 2 years (I think). Adult eq was big though. I probably won't go this year... work :(

heartinrye
May. 13, 2010, 03:45 AM
Went to FCHC for the first time last year and was told by trainer "you'll be doing all of the adult eq and then the medals"
I didn't realize that they were ALL together. My poor horse did the flat around 9 am and his last class around 4. :(
And I was then twiddling my thumbs the rest of the week. (I'm in college, and was allowed to forgo a job last summer ;) )

It didn't end up too badly though, I ended up taking my horse (who I'd had about 3 weeks) into the jumpers and we ended up champion in the Adults :)

But skipping it this year, the schedule is just too crazy & sporadic.

Hunter/JumperMom
May. 13, 2010, 08:39 AM
I never understand these schedules, they are not thinking of the horse at all. I took a look at the HITS schedules, the jumper divisions run one a day, but the EQ, (so glad out of that), the 3ft - 3'3" divisions run all in one day!! maiden, novice, int., limit, age, mini's, pha, M&S, etc. all one day!!! why they don't break that up all week I will never understand, If the show is a multi day show, then have the classes multi-day.

I know you don't do all the classes, but for a week long show at that height, I am sure the riders would do say the limit division, or the age, the mini's., and maybe pha and M&S, that is still a lot of classes in one day!

Lucassb
May. 13, 2010, 09:43 AM
Agreed, the schedule is not horse friendly at all. If I am going to a multi day show, it would be nice to do 2-3 classes per day for a couple days, not 7 classes in a row on day 1... and nothing for the rest of the week.

toomanyponies
May. 13, 2010, 10:54 AM
ah yes, but Fairfield is really a just a fancy one day masquerading as a fancy multiday A show - the schedule caters to the ship ins. . . which more and more people do, bc no one wants to show on the grass if it rains. . .

Alameda
May. 13, 2010, 12:19 PM
Never been, but it's just like the UPS guys. They come at 10 in the morning or 2 in the afternoon. Because you know, no one works. Being a UPS gal, I think I'll chime in here. We have a deadline for overnight packages, so they get delivered first. After that we deliver and pickup according to what's been loaded (and where it has been loaded on the vehicle). Sorry, we can't get to you the same time each day. Our routes are planned by what we have to deliver. Every day is a new day.
As for Fairfield's schedule (I used to live in Darien, and I have been to FCHC), I'm sure "everyone" wants to show on the weekend. When we come up with a 48 hour day, then we can all show on Friday through Sunday. Here in the west, weekday show days for amateurs occurs often. Nobody wants to show on Sunday night ;) And I've been around enough to know some people WANT to show in one day - less cost.

Lucassb
May. 13, 2010, 12:29 PM
ah yes, but Fairfield is really a just a fancy one day masquerading as a fancy multiday A show - the schedule caters to the ship ins. . . which more and more people do, bc no one wants to show on the grass if it rains. . .

You are so right... I totally agree.

At $250 per tent stall, I can understand why many people would prefer to ship in! Personally I don't mind paying for a stall if it means my horse would have a nicer experience, and not be faced with 7 classes in a single day (and yes, I understand that I can choose to enter fewer, and probably will do so.)

There are lots of one day shows around here, and most offer the eq medals (but not a full adult eq division) along with the AA hunters. I think 3-4 jumping classes per day is plenty for one horse, myself. The point of going to a multi day show for me is usually the opportunity to do a few classes per day for several days - often with a rest day or two in between. VT is wonderful for this, as an example.

huntereq7
May. 13, 2010, 01:56 PM
Wish they would space it out over a few days... now instead of getting my $$ for two divisions (and a stall) they're only getting 1 division and I'm shipping in. Lame and nowhere near as fun :no:

Lucassb
May. 13, 2010, 02:39 PM
Wish they would space it out over a few days... now instead of getting my $$ for two divisions (and a stall) they're only getting 1 division and I'm shipping in. Lame and nowhere near as fun :no:

Same here. And next year, I think we will just make other plans. There are tons of nice horse shows to choose from in this area; bet we can find another venue that is a bit friendlier.

mvp
May. 13, 2010, 05:16 PM
The odd thing is that they don't seem to realize that people won't pack 7 classes into one day simply because it's cheaper than renting a stall.

I'm with Lucassb. I'd like to make showing as cheap as possible but I won't ride one into the ground for the one day I'm there. I'll just do fewer classes.

Maybe they *did* look at the schedule and all the people spending more money than adult eq princesses and decided to accept smaller divisions on that Tuesday as they couldn't figure out a better way to take more of their money as well as everyone else's.