PDA

View Full Version : Major Medical gone WAY up?

tidy rabbit
May. 12, 2010, 11:03 AM
I got my insurance bill and I have major medical on 3 of the horses. I think last year I paid 250 per horse for the major medical, this year 375 per horse.

Anyone else?

joiedevie99
May. 12, 2010, 11:07 AM
Is it the same coverage? I know at least one company totally re-structured their medical policies this year. If the limit/deductible combination you had was eliminated, your agent may have bumped you up to the next option.

HCF
May. 12, 2010, 11:12 AM
^This.

I recently renewed my insurance with Broadstone (mortality and major medical) and my premiums were the same as last year. Maybe your coverages have changed for some reason?

mvp
May. 12, 2010, 11:56 AM
I know!

How do I know/saw it coming?

Because of the threads here on diagnostics go: "So we blocked, then X-rayed. Results were inconclusive so we did a bone scan. We did do an ultrasound, and we'll recheck with that in 6 weeks. A couple of MRIs were thrown in.... because, hey, the horse is insured."

The ones on treatment go: "(standard steroid-n-stuff) joint injections. Then IRAP and Shockwave. PRP and Tildren might work too (for various things).... and do it during this insurance year before the offending joint becomes uninsurable."

I can see the meter running as I read these, can you?

For diagnostic stuff, I do think it would be a good idea to have owners pay a percentage of what they decide to do. If you don't practice some restraint with diagnosis, the actuarial people will impose that for you.

horsepoor
May. 12, 2010, 12:17 PM
Great American, by any chance? I had a similar "surprise" earlier this year. We decided to basically self-insure a couple of mine (drop the insurance and then apply the premiums toward what we will cover ourselves if needed). I've had my horses insured for a number of years, so I kind of had an idea of what some claims have been and could compare it with the new coverage, which includes a lot of cost sharing of diagnostics and treatment. Based on that, I decided to only keep the two youngest and competitive horses insured.

Midge
May. 12, 2010, 12:36 PM
I dropped my insurance, too. Perhaps if my agent had called first, I wouldm
have had a discussion and perhaps found an alternative. Since they only called after I didn't re-up, I thought I made the right decision.

I decided to self insure, too. The mortality wasn't a big draw. I just didn't want to have to count dollars if the question was surgery or euthanasia.

Phaxxton
May. 12, 2010, 12:45 PM
My company switched underwriters and my bill went up A LOT. :eek:

I might shop around now if anyone has recommendations. If not, I will stick with the same company for the next year.

HCF
May. 12, 2010, 04:03 PM
My company switched underwriters and my bill went up A LOT. :eek:

I might shop around now if anyone has recommendations. If not, I will stick with the same company for the next year.

I have been very happy with my policy with Broadstone, which is underwritten by American Home Assurance Company. I am going on my fourth year with them and my premiums have not changed. Of course, I have yet to file a claim. I did a LOT of research before renewing this year, not because I was unhappy, just to see what else was out there. I stayed with Broadstone because I felt I was getting the most bang for my buck with them. Also, they were very willing to work with me when I wanted to do a payment plan rather than pay the entire premium at once. I would highly recommend them.

Tiramit
May. 12, 2010, 10:08 PM
Great American, by any chance? I had a similar "surprise" earlier this year.

Same thing here. :(

Addison
May. 12, 2010, 10:10 PM
I have Great American and my premium did not go up this year.

SOTB
May. 12, 2010, 10:22 PM
I have Great American and my premium did not go up this year (I just renewed).