PDA

View Full Version : Tailored Sportsman dilemma (Sorry to start ANOTHER TS thread)

theinstigator
May. 12, 2010, 11:01 AM
I'm sorry to start yet ANOTHER TS breech thread, but I've searched and searched and can't find quite the answer I'm looking for.

Ok here's the deal. I have a pair of Supreme Hunters, regular rise, in 30R. I thought they were going to be ok for the local show I'm riding in next weekend, but I tried them on again last night and they're just too snug (not to mention unflattering when I take my coat off LOL)....and WAY too high waisted (I got them before the low rise options came out). I can zip them all the way, but I don't think I can ride in them as snug as they are. I could probably let them out up top and have them be workable, but I'm no seamstress so this could be bad news....

The closest tack store is at least a two hour drive, so I was going to order a few pairs from SmartPak and just return the ones that don't fit.

My thought was to get the Trophy Hunters in the cottony fabric to try in two sizes, and also a pair of Supremes 32R in the low rise.

My question is how much lower are the Supreme Low Rise compared to the Supreme Regular Rise? And how do the Trophy Hunters compare, rise and fit wise?

The only reason I'm sticking to the TS is I at least know that ballpark I take a 32. If I go to another brand I'm afraid I'll be way off on the size, and I have to get something or I'll be showing in leggings :eek:.

I have to get something ordered so I can make sure they are here next week. Help please? Thoughts? TIA

80s rider
May. 12, 2010, 11:13 AM
I can't really answer your specific questions....but can you call the tack shop directly? They should be able to answer all your questions, since they have many sizes and types of breeches to actually look at and compare. They may be willing to send you a few different brands & sizes if you leave them a Credit card #. Just a thought. Good luck!

BAC
May. 12, 2010, 11:29 AM
I could probably let them out up top and have them be workable, but I'm no seamstress so this could be bad news....

A local tailor should be able to let out the waist easily (and inexpensively) if that's the main problem for you. TS are made with a bit of extra fabric in the seam, so you should be able to let out the entire back seam, which might be all you need.

FOXYANDME
May. 12, 2010, 11:29 AM
Not sure if this applies, but I had to order our daughter's Trophy Hunter jods in a size larger than usual. Just info that might help.

Lucassb
May. 12, 2010, 11:36 AM
I have both the supreme hunters in reg and low rise and the trophy hunters (low rise only.)

The waistband on the supreme hunter low rise model hits me maybe an inch below my natural waist. (MUCH more flattering than the older regular rise models, which frankly I could practically use as a shelf bra, LOL.)

The trophy hunters are a more flattering cut, IMO (mine are side zip/euro seat.) However, they are significantly lower rise than the supreme hunters (at least an inch lower if not more.) I am fairly short waisted so this is not a problem for me, but is something to think about.

horsepoor
May. 12, 2010, 12:11 PM
I found that the Trophy hunters fit a bit more slimly than the other TS models, when I tried them on -- but it was the denim Trophy, so the type of fabric might have added to the slimmer feel. It isn't like they were a size smaller or anything (I wear 30R in the reg and low-rise TS breeches just fine, and the Trophy was also a 30R that I was trying), just like the hip and thigh cut was straighter/thinner than felt comfortable for me.

I have both reg and low-rise in the Supreme and the low isn't too low for me, and I'm not one to expose anything to anyone willingly!

NorthFaceFarm
May. 12, 2010, 12:33 PM
I find that when going from regular to low rise in any TS breech I have to go up a size, but that's just me.

theinstigator
May. 12, 2010, 12:36 PM
I can't really answer your specific questions....but can you call the tack shop directly? They should be able to answer all your questions, since they have many sizes and types of breeches to actually look at and compare. They may be willing to send you a few different brands & sizes if you leave them a Credit card #. Just a thought. Good luck!
I already plan on making some of those calls after work today ;) I'm just in panic mode at the moment and thought the smart COTHers could help!

I have both the supreme hunters in reg and low rise and the trophy hunters (low rise only.)

The waistband on the supreme hunter low rise model hits me maybe an inch below my natural waist. (MUCH more flattering than the older regular rise models, which frankly I could practically use as a shelf bra, LOL.)

The trophy hunters are a more flattering cut, IMO (mine are side zip/euro seat.) However, they are significantly lower rise than the supreme hunters (at least an inch lower if not more.) I am fairly short waisted so this is not a problem for me, but is something to think about.
This is EXACTLY the info I was looking for, thank you!!!! I love the way the Trophy's look, but I've never been able to try on a pair. I'm pretty short waisted as well (the bottom of my sports bra touches the waistband of my Supremes LOL) so I think the Trophy's will be more flattering on me. I was going to order a 32 and a 34 and hopefully one will fit well enough. If not I'll just take my Supremes to a seamstress next week and have them let out and will make due.

Goodness I miss the days where I worked at a tack store!

Lucassb
May. 12, 2010, 12:54 PM
(snip)

This is EXACTLY the info I was looking for, thank you!!!! I love the way the Trophy's look, but I've never been able to try on a pair. I'm pretty short waisted as well (the bottom of my sports bra touches the waistband of my Supremes LOL) so I think the Trophy's will be more flattering on me. I was going to order a 32 and a 34 and hopefully one will fit well enough. If not I'll just take my Supremes to a seamstress next week and have them let out and will make due.

You are very welcome. FWIW, my Trophy Hunters are a size larger than my regular TS breeches. They are slightly loose (I hate skin tight breeches) but not baggy - so you might prefer the 34's.

ponymom64
May. 12, 2010, 01:15 PM
I was thinking of getting a pair of the Trophy Hunters with the side zip Euro seat for the DD - so you think I'll need to go up a size???

chunky munky
May. 12, 2010, 01:16 PM
Just a note, not really relavent to Tailored Sportsman. For those of you that wear shadbellies...DO NOT WEAR LOW RISE with them. Please purchase one pair of a higher rise style if you plan to wear them with a shadbelly. We don't want to see 5 inches of your shirt. You will look like an unmade bed and it is ugly. Every time the tails flap up it is like seeing your underwear.

Lucassb
May. 12, 2010, 01:29 PM
Just a note, not really relavent to Tailored Sportsman. For those of you that wear shadbellies...DO NOT WEAR LOW RISE with them. Please purchase one pair of a higher rise style if you plan to wear them with a shadbelly. We don't want to see 5 inches of your shirt. You will look like an unmade bed and it is ugly. Every time the tails flap up it is like seeing your underwear.

I think it depends how you are built, actually. The "low rise" breeches end up d*mn close to my natural waist and look fine with my shad - there isn't any sort of gap at the vest points. Having your breeches end somewhere up near your bra isn't a terribly attractive look either, IMO. (See ellem's comment above, LOL.)

Lucassb
May. 12, 2010, 01:30 PM
I was thinking of getting a pair of the Trophy Hunters with the side zip Euro seat for the DD - so you think I'll need to go up a size???

She's soooo slender... I'd guess not, but it's worth trying them on to see.

staceymc
May. 12, 2010, 01:32 PM
I think it depends how you are built, actually. The "low rise" breeches end up d*mn close to my natural waist and look fine with my shad - there isn't any sort of gap at the vest points. Having your breeches end somewhere up near your bra isn't a terribly attractive look either, IMO. (See ellem's comment above, LOL.)

Isn't that the truth! I tried on my old TS the other day. They are from like 12 years ago so I have no idea what style they are but they were way before "low rise was invented. I have no idea how I ever wore them. They really could have doubled as a sports bra. The TS and Trophy Hunter low rise I have now hit me at or slightly below my belly button. I'm 5'5", but apparently most of it's leg.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 12, 2010, 01:36 PM
Smartpak also carries the mid rise Trophy Hunters now, which are maybe an inch higher than the low rise - so they're still fairly low, but not so low that plumber bum ensues.

And I agree that the cut of the Trophy Hunters is a lot more flattering than the Supremes. The high rise Supremes always remind me of that SNL skit about "Mom Jeans..."

On SP the mid rise Trophy Hunters w/front zip have color matched knee patches. The same in side zip has darker patches. Anybody know if the pictures are accurate or maybe they just recycled a picture from a different breech? I want the side zip ones but w/color matched patches lol.

Lucassb
May. 12, 2010, 01:45 PM
Isn't that the truth! I tried on my old TS the other day. They are from like 12 years ago so I have no idea what style they are but they were way before "low rise was invented. I have no idea how I ever wore them. They really could have doubled as a sports bra. The TS and Trophy Hunter low rise I have now hit me at or slightly below my belly button. I'm 5'5", but apparently most of it's leg.

LOL, at least I am not the only one!!

Sadly I have an entire drawer full of the regular rise TS supremes that were my show breeches... so are in perfect condition, but of no use to me since the "double as a bra" cut is just not OK... *sigh*

theinstigator
May. 12, 2010, 01:57 PM
Smartpak also carries the mid rise Trophy Hunters now, which are maybe an inch higher than the low rise - so they're still fairly low, but not so low that plumber bum ensues.

And I agree that the cut of the Trophy Hunters is a lot more flattering than the Supremes. The high rise Supremes always remind me of that SNL skit about "Mom Jeans..."Hahahaha that's great :D

I just ordered two pairs of Trophy Hunters....They'll be here Monday, so I'll be crossing my fingers until then!

Thanks again for all the input :)

BAC
May. 12, 2010, 02:04 PM
Sadly I have an entire drawer full of the regular rise TS supremes that were my show breeches... so are in perfect condition, but of no use to me since the "double as a bra" cut is just not OK... *sigh*

Sell them on ebay! Or anyone interested should maybe PM Lucassb. ;) In fact, maybe I need a pair.

PNWjumper
May. 12, 2010, 04:33 PM
Just as an FYI, I have found that the Trophy Hunter breeches run a little bigger than their non-trophy hunter counterparts. I wear a 30R in the schooling breeches and the 30R Trophy Hunters I have are a little too big.

And I think that you will be fine in low rise.

All of this is obviously too late to impact your decision, but good luck with what you ordered. I'm guessing you'll be fine! :)

staceymc
May. 12, 2010, 04:51 PM
I find that true as well.

The 30R in the TS are perfect on me. I got the Trophy Hunters and the 30R was just too big in the waist/crotch area. The 28R fits perfectly there, but are a tad more snug in the legs than I'd prefer. Not to the point where I think they look bad, and overall they are a much better fit on me than the 30R.

I bought the 28R and look at it as an incentive not to gain any weight!

OneMoreTime
May. 12, 2010, 08:07 PM
I agree with the Trophys running bigger - I usually wear a size smaller in Trophy's than I do in my 2-way stretch Royals. Good luck!

HuntJumpSC
May. 12, 2010, 11:39 PM
I wore my Tailoreds this past weekend for the first time since I got them last year. (New off the tacktrader board) They are a 32R, rust, and I dearly love them. However, they are too big now (I lost the rest of the baby weight), and I'm almost 100% sure they are 4 way stretch. I looked like I was wearing MCHammer pants, and a couple of my buddies ribbed me about it goodnaturedly. :lol: I could probably do a 30R now, but I HATE to part with these. Do you think my seamstress could take them in enough in the crotch/thigh area to work? She worked a miracle on the grey Ariats I got on clearance from Dover that were a tinge too snug. Anyone know how much TS's can be taken in before looking funny? :confused:

theinstigator
May. 14, 2010, 12:41 PM
Goodness SmartPak is quick!!!! I ordered breeches Wednesday afternoon and they were on my porch when I just went home for lunch.

I quickly tried them on and I LOVE the trophy hunters. Perfect rise with no crack action and I think the 32 is going to be perfect (I have to spend more time when I get home to actually look in the mirror and such LOL.)

Thanks to everyone for their help with this (especially Lucassb)!!!! :)

Lucassb
May. 14, 2010, 03:47 PM
Goodness SmartPak is quick!!!! I ordered breeches Wednesday afternoon and they were on my porch when I just went home for lunch.

I quickly tried them on and I LOVE the trophy hunters. Perfect rise with no crack action and I think the 32 is going to be perfect (I have to spend more time when I get home to actually look in the mirror and such LOL.)

Thanks to everyone for their help with this (especially Lucassb)!!!! :)

Oh, that is awesome, so glad you like them!! And I agree, you can't beat Smartpak's customer service; they are the best of the best. Enjoy!!