PDA

View Full Version : Tim Grubb

WhatzUp
May. 11, 2010, 02:58 PM
Hello,

Does anyone know what is happening with him ?

Also can someone please school me in how to delete a post ? :cool:

Yours in sport,

Lynn

BAC
May. 11, 2010, 04:08 PM
I haven't heard that name in ages, I had forgotten all about him.

There are instructions on how to delete a post in the FAQ section under Technical Assistance.

3Dogs
May. 11, 2010, 04:45 PM
passed away. :(

Haalter
May. 11, 2010, 04:49 PM
passed away. :(Seriously? When did this happen, and what happened? I knew him many years ago, and sadly had not thought of him in quite a while til I saw this post...

carasmom
May. 11, 2010, 04:59 PM
Really, when?
We had several riders clinic with him at Equine Affair a couple of years ago in Columbus and really enjoyed their sessions with him.

JA
May. 11, 2010, 05:23 PM
He passed away earlier today of congestive heart failure. It is posted on Mason Phelps's site. My thoughts are with his children and family during this hard time

chunky munky
May. 11, 2010, 05:43 PM
Hey , sorry, but i did not find that info on Mason's website. Not to doubt you, but do not see it on the website.

chunky munky
May. 11, 2010, 05:49 PM
I am wrong. I guess that I thought that his obituary would have been more than listed in the press releases. Very sad. Tim was a good guy.

MHM
May. 11, 2010, 06:16 PM
Very sad. He wasn't very old, was he?

Haalter
May. 11, 2010, 06:26 PM
He was 56. I am so sad to hear this. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

JustJump
May. 11, 2010, 06:53 PM
He was a top class international rider and a keen competitor. RIP, Tim.

KBEquine
May. 11, 2010, 07:00 PM
Back in the day, my 3 favorite show jumpers - Michael Matz, Anne Kursinski (I'm thinking she had Starman back then?) & Tim Grubb (I'm especially remembering a horse named Linky?).

RIP Tim & condolences to his family.

ArthurGuinness
May. 11, 2010, 07:12 PM
RIP Tim Grubb. I was fortunate enough to watch him while I was growing up. He had a wonderful influence in this great sport.

JFJ
May. 11, 2010, 07:39 PM
So sad, RIP :(

Tiramit
May. 11, 2010, 09:44 PM
What a shame! Rest in Peace, Tim. I enjoyed watching you ride - you were one of the good guys.

worldclass777
May. 11, 2010, 10:30 PM
was he still married to Michelle Grubbs? ???

lauriep
May. 11, 2010, 11:55 PM
No, Michelle and Tim have been divorced for years. So very, very sad.

Chef Jade
May. 11, 2010, 11:59 PM
Tim was my trainer's mentor and friend. I was lucky enough to get to meet him not that long ago. He will be sorely missed.

copper1
May. 12, 2010, 06:56 AM
I was so sad to hear of Tim's passing. I had heard he was ill and that was why his name wasn't cropping up very often. I met him and his family when I lived in England and we sold him one of his first show jumpers. He was just a young kid, coming out of pony club, riding some point to pointers and dabbling in show jumping. He had a fun sense of humor, always a ready quip.
My condolances to his family.

VirginiaBred
May. 12, 2010, 07:46 AM
We've lost another giant in our industry. :( Very sad to learn of this.

Ishi
May. 12, 2010, 08:43 AM
I rode with Tim and Michele in the 80s until my last junior year in 92, I can't even begin to describe how much I learned (in riding, horses, and all about life) and how it shaped my life. I had the best High Jr horse but I remember being about 15 and really intimidated by everything, the people, horses, the big jumps. Tim gave me a pep talk, a nickname, and some riding advice I still use today.

Tim was such a gifted and talented rider, this is so sad to read.

SGray
May. 12, 2010, 11:38 AM
56? really? geez, that's young

SGray
May. 12, 2010, 01:13 PM
H&H says only 55
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/297904.html

JFJ
May. 12, 2010, 02:00 PM
I believe he would have been 56 on May 30th. So sad.

kytter
May. 12, 2010, 02:06 PM
Yes, he was 55. Here's another obituary:
http://www.equisearch.com/equiwire_news/nancy_jaffer/tim_grubb_death_051210

Equibrit
May. 12, 2010, 02:08 PM
Horse & Hound

Three-time British Olympic showjumper Tim Grubb dies

Nancy Jaffer
12 May, 2010

Three-time British Olympic showjumper Tim Grubb died yesterday (11 May) of congestive heart failure. He was 55.

The highlight of his riding career was winning the team silver medal aboard Linky at the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles on the squad with Steven Smith and John and Michael Whitaker. He also rode in the 1980 Alternate Olympics, where the team took silver, as well as the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.

After that, he became an American, having moved to the States following his 1978 marriage to US showjumper Michele McEvoy.

Tim, who was on the American team at the 1994 World Equestrian Games, won some of the USA's most important grands prix, including the American Invitational, Devon and the Hampton Classic. He also won the American Grand Prix Association Championship and the AGA Horse of the Year title with Denizen in 1993.

The charming and charismatic native of Leicestershire started out in Pony Club and was an avid follower of hounds. He also was a freelance steeplechase jockey for 18 months, but frequent injuries pointed him toward showjumping instead.

Tim Grubb worked for John Massarella, a dealer who was the brother of British chef d'equipe Ronnie Massarella, and learned to ride all types of horses during that period.

He and Michele, who are divorced, had two children: Christopher and Dottie, who won the FEI World Children's Jumper Championship in 2000.
Tim, who was involved in horse sales after his competitive career ended, had been living in California but died in Illinois.

STA
May. 12, 2010, 02:42 PM
Tim passed away yesterday just as he was getting ready to ride.

Ishi
May. 12, 2010, 03:40 PM
I am just so sad to read the obits. I pulled out an old box of pictures from that time of old horses no longer here as well. Bartok, my Jr Jumper, Inner Circle, my Eq horse, as well as a few hunters. I have tons of pictures taken in lessons at their old farm in White House Station, even some I (or my mom I guess) took of Two Plus Two, Funny Face, and Denizon with Tim on them. God there were some amazing horses there.

Even though it was years and years ago, it still feels like last year I was a kid riding there and on the road with High Hopes Farms. I always thought Tim was wicked funny, helped me not take young self so seriously, and was always such an amazing rider to watch, no matter what he was sitting on.

I event now, and have lost touch with all the kids I was a junior with, reading about Tim today has me wondering where they all are and how they are doing.

So sad :(

jack07
May. 12, 2010, 04:03 PM
Michelle,Bartok was a great horse,remember onwego,geronimo.bastille,ever,iwas in the red barn,it seems so long ago.

La Gringa
May. 12, 2010, 06:30 PM
Very sad news.

Condolences to his friends and family

:(

NorthFaceFarm
May. 12, 2010, 07:31 PM
RIP Tim. We've lost a great rider and horseman. My own dad is suffering from the same thing right now :(

Pony Soprano
May. 12, 2010, 09:37 PM
This is very sad. I rode with him occasionally as a junior and his help was invaluable.

Alterrain
May. 12, 2010, 10:32 PM
Linky, Denizen, Two Plus Two, Ever Elan, Funny Face, to name a few. An amazing man and incredible horseman. RIP, Tim. Condolences to his friends and family.

Summit Springs Farm
May. 12, 2010, 10:50 PM
He was one of the best. God Speed TG

Alameda
May. 13, 2010, 11:26 AM
Rest In Peace, Tim.

Condolences to Dottie, and Topher.

Scruffy
May. 13, 2010, 12:09 PM
Very sad news. He had a tough go later in life with personal issues. He is at peace now.

Kenike
May. 13, 2010, 12:10 PM
I'm JUST seeing this now, and wow....what a gigantic loss. He was one of my favorites back in the day, too. What terrible news.....

My condolences are with Michele and the kids. They've got to be absolutely heartbroken :cry:

farmgirl
May. 13, 2010, 12:17 PM
Tim came to my farm to give two clinics on his way from FL to Canada. The first one was shortly after my husband, who knew him from Europe/England, passed away. (I'd not met him before) I was absolutely touched by his kindness. Of course, the clinics were terrific and I learned alot - it was like riding with my husband again.

I had one of the original official posters from the 84 Olympics. I gave it to Tim as he did not have that one. He was so appreciative. This thread made me cry - I am glad I was able to give him something as he gave so much to all of us. fg

Melzy
May. 13, 2010, 06:04 PM
farmgirl, can you describe that '84 poster? If it's like the one I have, I'll give it to you. Tim would like that. ;-)

Gry2Yng
May. 13, 2010, 06:45 PM
We were very fortunate to have Tim live and work with us during the last days of his life.

All of us feel a great sense of loss, and tremendously heavy hearts. He was a first class horseman, coach and teacher extraordinaire. He was also a part of our family here. His time on this earth was too short, but he left us as better people for having known him.

In the short time we did know him, we grew to love him. Our horses all benefitted tremendously from his unbelievable knowledge of the sport. Our dogs followed him around constantly. Watching out for him, and basking in any attention he might give them.

As for us, the humans he touched...we feel lost without him. He woke in the morning with a twinkle and he never retired for the evening without making sure we all laughed at one of his jokes, or rich stories of times gone by.

He was so proud of his two children, and never missed a chance to talk about them.

We miss you, Grubbie. RIP.

I have heard second hand that some very wonderful people reached out to Tim and gave him tremendous support during what turned out to be his last days. How wonderful that people who share a common bond of horses can provide for one another in difficult times.

farmgirl
May. 17, 2010, 11:20 AM
Hi Melzy, I sent you a PM. Thanks, fg