PDA

View Full Version : Um, is my saddle too light??

TheJenners
May. 11, 2010, 12:39 PM
I didn't think it was...but while on vaca, a very good and experienced trainer, who I respect, said "oh my saddle was that color when I first got it."

Cue silent consideration of my saddle. My saddle, which while new is not new. It has somewhere between 50-100 rides, since I just got it this past late summer and then took the winter off. It is also darker than when it arrived, and I greased it after ride (first 15) as I was instructed.

So then I started looking at the pictures I had of it. Hmmmm. Care to make a judgment call?

Saddle (http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg280/ReplacementUsername/Saddle2.jpg)
Saddle (http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg280/ReplacementUsername/Saddle4.jpg)on pony (not mine, I wish).
Saddle (http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg280/ReplacementUsername/29414_1453696023991_1281017695_1273.jpg)on diff horse.

BAC
May. 11, 2010, 12:57 PM
Personally I prefer a darker color, but there is nothing wrong with yours, it isn't as if its orange. Also, as you continue to ride, clean and condition it, it will gradually darken more. Its much better to let it darken gradually anyway rather than dump a bunch of oil on it right away just to make it darker.

If you're happy with it, just ignore any one else's comments.

Eq4Me
May. 11, 2010, 01:08 PM
There is nothing wrong with the color of your saddle. It's more of an oakbark / tobacco color, rather than a havana. There are certainly plenty of high end saddles on the market right now in that color. It's a matter of personal preference.

It will darken with time and cleaning. I agree with BAC...let it happen naturally. Dumping a ton of product on it at once can eventually come back to haunt you.

Ozone
May. 11, 2010, 01:09 PM
I dont think your saddle is too light ... at.all!

My saddle is a bit lighter than yours is and I match my bridle to it, it looks great on my horse as yours looks great as well.

Experienced trainer told you this or not... that is just one persons opinion and you know what they say about that :winkgrin: Ignore the comments, Happy Riding!

Lucassb
May. 11, 2010, 01:25 PM
Well, it's your saddle so if you like it that color, that is really all that matters.

If it were mine, though, I would want it to be darker. Quite a bit darker, in fact. But I am a traditional old school sort, and I like ALL my tack to attain that beautiful mahogany color, with the patina that comes from time, use and good care.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 11, 2010, 01:38 PM
I think that color is fine. It'll get more rich over time. I do think if that is you in the third pic that it's not a great fit for you though.

KristieBee
May. 11, 2010, 01:58 PM
My caramel buffalo Antares is the same color as your saddle, OP - and even over time it hasn't gotten much darker than that. It will never be havana but may continue to get darker, albeit within that same shade. Makes it tough on someone who likes their girth/bridle/eq boots to match the saddle, like I do.

Honestly, if i had it to do all over again, I'd get everything in havana. These days it's hard to escape caramel/tobacco/oakbark, it seems - bah.

I miss plain old beautiful dark havana! (With newmarket seat and knee rolls, if we're really daring to dream here. ) Is that not possible in calf and buffalo leathers?

KristieBee
May. 11, 2010, 02:07 PM
lol op - was just venting my own frustrations. your saddle is beautiful and not at all out of the ordinary. it doesn't look new, it just looks like it's one of the lighter colors to begin with that are so popular right now!

janedoe726
May. 11, 2010, 04:12 PM
Personally, I think it's lovely. And I'm quite traditional...

TheJenners
May. 11, 2010, 04:19 PM
It is me in the saddle, and it does fit me. Custom in fact. Bad angle and all. ;)

I haven't cleaned it or done anything in months, so that probably made it look lighter in the last two pictures, taken from my vaca. Anyways, thanks for the feedback everyone.

Hunter/JumperMom
May. 11, 2010, 04:40 PM
I think the color is fine, it will darken with cleanings and oilings. Though I agree with the person that said it doesnt look like a good fit? Hopefully it is a bad angle, but the flaps look very forward (too foward for your leg), and the seat looks to short? But thats just from the pictures.

Rhyadawn
May. 11, 2010, 05:21 PM
What colour is the horse your riding it in?

TheJenners
May. 11, 2010, 05:50 PM
And no, again, this thread is about the COLOR. Here is ME, in the saddle (http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg280/ReplacementUsername/8221_1243191241503_1281017695_70966.jpg) brand new on the first ride, and my mare. My stirrups were way too long on the chestnut mare. Here I am (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SKMkUXgkfM&feature=related), on a different horse, and you can see how it's really just the horse and stirrup and angle.

JA
May. 11, 2010, 06:08 PM
It's the same color as my 2006 Devoucoux. That is about as dark as they get. I don't mind the color at all.

Void
May. 11, 2010, 06:43 PM
Same color as my Antares and I've had mine since Fall of '07. Cleaned regularly.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 11, 2010, 10:07 PM
Still looks too short, and flat too forward to me. But I give up ;)

spaceagevalkyrie
May. 11, 2010, 10:09 PM
I think its lovely.

mypaintwattie
May. 12, 2010, 12:01 AM
I love the color- I have a PJ and have just used Lederbalsm on it to keep it the lighter color.

Ozone
May. 12, 2010, 08:58 AM
I still like the color of it.

However, it does look "off" in the pic of you & your mare (first new saddle ride) because none of your tack matches.

I really like light saddles but if you don't match it from head to toe it throws off the whole package.

Hunter Mom
May. 12, 2010, 09:42 AM
I like the color. Not a lot different than either mine or DD's for that matter. I just make sure that bridles are similar in color and it's fine. There are LOTS of saddles out there that color these days - more than the havana it seems.

TheJenners
May. 12, 2010, 12:11 PM
Ozone, that was brand new before any cleaning, greasing, etc. It's appreciably darker now.

Hunter Mom
May. 12, 2010, 12:53 PM
IME, they may not get a lot darker, but certainly get more mellow.

theblondejumper
May. 12, 2010, 06:39 PM
Mine is the same and I hate having to defend myself when people come up to me and say "Oh! Is that new?". :/ I do need to be better about cleaning it. However I've ridden sporadically for the last three or four years so it's been sort of neglected but I am not ready to part with it.

TheJenners
Jun. 24, 2010, 05:49 AM
OK, here's a picture from yesterday on my pony...yeah, I think it looks too light still. I'm going to try some hydrophane and see if that works.

Picture (http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg280/ReplacementUsername/Pink062210.jpg)

pattnic
Jun. 24, 2010, 07:31 AM
If it's only got 50 - 100 rides on it, it is still a new saddle... it seems to me that saddles take years to take on a really nice color, because that color comes with age, use, and care (just as Lucassb said).

I personally wouldn't worry about it - it looks fine and will look better as you use it and care for it. :)

RugBug
Jun. 24, 2010, 12:48 PM
If it were mine, though, I would want it to be darker. Quite a bit darker, in fact. But I am a traditional old school sort, and I like ALL my tack to attain that beautiful mahogany color, with the patina that comes from time, use and good care.

Agreed. I'm so glad my new Delgrange started out fairly dark. I've had it for two weeks and it's gorgeous already and will only get better with time.

Fancy That
Jun. 24, 2010, 02:20 PM
OK, here's a picture from yesterday on my pony...yeah, I think it looks too light still. I'm going to try some hydrophane and see if that works.

Picture (http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg280/ReplacementUsername/Pink062210.jpg)

There was a thread earlier on "Stubben Red" (which is sort of Oak Bark or Chestnut rather than Havana)

I have a dark chocolate liver mare, and she looks stunning in that color. Havana on her, would blend right in.

You should match your bridle, then it wouldn't be mis-matched at all.

Here's a pic of us (wierd photo, but shows the tack color best (http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk150/elaineshickman/IMG_0786_ribbon_crop-1.jpg)). I have similar saddle color (it's a Bates Caprilli Close Contact) and my bridle, stirupp leathers and girth match that color.

LuvMyTB
Jun. 24, 2010, 02:55 PM
Ahhh now you're scaring me! I am considering an older (made in England) Pessoa A/O that is pretty light--definitely an oakbark-ish color--but more yellow tones. If your saddle is too light, I'm SOL!

RugBug
Jun. 24, 2010, 03:11 PM
Ahhh now you're scaring me! I am considering an older (made in England) Pessoa A/O that is pretty light--definitely an oakbark-ish color--but more yellow tones. If your saddle is too light, I'm SOL!

I wouldn't worry. Those of us older fogies remember a time when any saddle that was light was a new saddle and hadn't been oiled to perfection. These days, many saddles are made to stay lighter for their whole life. If you like the look of lighter leather, don't worry about it. If someone makes a comment that you don't agree with, why should it bother you if the piece of tack is properly cared for and the way you like it?

LuvMyTB
Jun. 24, 2010, 03:47 PM
RugBug, I don't really care what people think....I ride in a VERY light Wintec CC right now so I had to get over saddle color, LOL. I actually prefer a havana color, but the Pessoa is a good price and if it fits my horse--again, that takes priority over what I consider to be pretty. :)

TheJenners
Jun. 24, 2010, 03:51 PM
Well. The other thing I've noticed is my bridle is a bit darker than I like on my pony. It was originally for a real dark and rich chestnut and looked stunning on him (with my dark Crosby saddle, ho hum).

hollyhorse2000
Jun. 24, 2010, 03:57 PM
Just like no good horse is the wrong color, no good saddle is the wrong color. I understand there are old school folks here, etc. But with all the horribly fit saddles we see out there, I'd think color would be the last of our worries.

Does saddle fit you?
Does saddle fit the horse?
Is saddle some version of brown?

If yes, then you're good to go IMHO!

doublesstable
Jun. 24, 2010, 04:07 PM
Just like no good horse is the wrong color, no good saddle is the wrong color. I understand there are old school folks here, etc. But with all the horribly fit saddles we see out there, I'd think color would be the last of our worries.

Does saddle fit you?
Does saddle fit the horse?
Is saddle some version of brown?

If yes, then you're good to go IMHO!

THIS....

I have never seen anyone not pin in a class because their tack was too dark or too light..... or even that it didn't match their bridle... there are other things to worry about that's for sure.

It really is a taste thing. I LOVE a nice "dark" used saddle.... one with some miles in it... lol.

But that's just me.....

TheJenners
Jun. 24, 2010, 04:31 PM
I'm working on the miles. Putting in quite a few in the last three months, I'd say double already what I rode last year. LOVING every minute of it, too!

NE_Rider
Jun. 24, 2010, 04:43 PM
When I was growing up, dark havana was the way to go, and as a result, I wanted anything BUT dark havana LOL!!!!! I had a lovely newmarket saddle for a few years, but no longer had the horse it fit, and had to sell it. Now I have a black jumping saddle...I know, I MUST be different LOL!!! I truly wanted a light brown (newmarket type) dressage saddle, and could have had it since I had to custom order, but my chestnut horse looks so much better in black....so boring black it is.

Your saddle looks great already!!! But it will get that gorgeous "glow" with time :).