PDA

View Full Version : Do Breastplate Martingales work the same as Martingales?

thebp
May. 10, 2010, 04:13 PM
Do breastplates w/standing attachments work just as well as regular martingales? And can you remove the straps that connect to the saddle or no?

ExJumper
May. 10, 2010, 05:42 PM
Do breastplates w/standing attachments work just as well as regular martingales? And can you remove the straps that connect to the saddle or no?

The answer to your first question is yes -- breastplates with standing martingale attachments work the same way as a regular standing martingale. They ALSO help hold a saddle forward on a horse.

As to your second question I'm not sure I understand it. If you take off the straps that connect to the saddle, a breastplate just turns into an ugly, sloppy, too-big martingale type thing. Why would you remove those straps? That's what makes a breastplate a breastplate.

Of course, all these answers are with respect to traditional hunter-type breastplates. Not those elastic breast collars that you see in the jumpers and on eventers.

thebp
May. 10, 2010, 05:47 PM
OK Good that is what I was looking to hear. And are breastplate/martingales accepted in the hunter ring?

ExJumper
May. 10, 2010, 06:03 PM
OK Good that is what I was looking to hear. And are breastplate/martingales accepted in the hunter ring?

Martingales are common. Even when they aren't needed, a lot of people use one to "complete the picture."

Breastplates are definitely out. If you absolutely must have one -- if you've tried a saddle fitter and a non slip pad -- then of course you should wear it. But I haven't seen a breastplate in the hunter ring since about 1995.

SkipChange
May. 10, 2010, 08:13 PM
Martingales are common. Even when they aren't needed, a lot of people use one to "complete the picture."

Breastplates are definitely out. If you absolutely must have one -- if you've tried a saddle fitter and a non slip pad -- then of course you should wear it. But I haven't seen a breastplate in the hunter ring since about 1995.

Exactly right. :yes: You can use a breastplate in hunters if you absolutely must. But be prepared to be the only hunter in a martingale and get funny looks.

Breastplates are much more common in Jumpers.