PDA

View Full Version : Barns, etc. near Bristol, Ct?

chillydc
May. 10, 2010, 01:19 PM
I just got engaged and it looks as though I will be moving to Bristol, Ct in the next year. I have two horses that I am hoping to bring with me, finances may dictate that I can only take one. I was wondering if anyone knows of a nice barn, with nice people? I do the jumpers but have been pretty much on my own trainer wise for the last year because of school and work schedules, so the people and the attitude of the place is what matters most (and the care to). I would love a place with some trails, an indoor and some jumps to practice with. It does not have to be fancy, price is a huge consideration. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. I don't know any horse people up there! Thanks!

P.S. I will also be in the market for a new farrier and vet, if there are any recommendations.

May. 11, 2010, 09:49 AM
Check out these guys, I've heard good things about them and they're in Bristol: http://www.oakendalefarm.com/

They're eventing-focused, though. I've heard that it's a friendly, somewhat laid-back barn, but the facilities aren't as fancy as some. But prices are fair, for the area! I don't know if they have an indoor, though, which would be tough in CT...

Depending on where you are, Avon Valley Show Stables (in Avon/Farmington) might be worth considering. They do primarily h/j show stuff. I think many/most of them pack up and go down to FL in the winter, but they do have a big indoor.

There are a lot of options in Glastonbury and East/South Windsor, too, but that's more of a hike. Might not be practical if you're hoping to ride a few times a week.

This is a good place to look for horse-related classified ads: http://www.steedread.com/

Also, in totally unrelated CT-abilia, you might want to look into joining the CT Horse Guard... it's an opportunity that doesn't exist in very many other places, and the barn's not too far from Bristol!

Edit: congrats on the engagement :)

chillydc
May. 13, 2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks I will check them out!:)