PDA

View Full Version : vintage 80's show jumping videos

theoldgreymare
May. 10, 2010, 11:27 AM
Found these on youtube yesterday. I am assuming they have not been posted here based on the low amount of hits.

Here's George and Brussels:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzNfMo_-w3E&playnext_from=TL&videos=JiaqXhcmD8U

Rodney and Coastline:
http://www.youtube.com/user/EquestrianEdwards#p/a/u/1/kLXB1C0IUzE

Norman and I Love You:
http://www.youtube.com/user/EquestrianEdwards#p/a/u/0/V5scD6ls7HE

Conrad and Abdullah:
http://www.youtube.com/user/EquestrianEdwards#p/u/7/GSe-0nT5GaQ

Michael and Jet Run:
http://www.youtube.com/user/EquestrianEdwards#p/u/4/L-8aUHyVenA

Ian and Big Ben:
http://www.youtube.com/user/EquestrianEdwards#p/u/5/T7lxm8j8_BE

Certainly brought back many memories! More on youtube by the same account. Enjoy!

Mayaty02
May. 10, 2010, 11:29 AM
cool! My daughter recently dug up my copy of the Equestrian events from the 1984 Olympics - such fun to watch!!!

mortebella
May. 10, 2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks especially for unearthing some Stormin' Norman. :cool: I've been looking and couldn't any for a long time.

Anyplace Farm
May. 10, 2010, 11:52 AM
Ohhhhhhhhh, Brussels! I think she was the last grand prix horse I recall seeing GM ride. She was SO TOUGH! That tail of hers was always wringing.

Wow - that course for Rodney - what...three banks and a grob? They don't do GPs like that anymore. That was more like a derby. I got to see Coastie when he retired at Paul and Wendy Matthews.

Conrad and Abdullah and the Olympics - breathtaking. We kicked ass that year.

And Matz and Jet Run - what a pair!

I LOVED riding in the 80's. I don't know if it is because I'm older now or what but it just seemed like we were better then - like we dominated then. Well, we did dominate. Thanks so much for sharing.

karens
May. 10, 2010, 01:08 PM
WOW! That video of Rodney brought tears to my eyes! That was the International Jumping Derby that was held in Newport RI in the early 80's! I've never seen any video's of that course until now. That just brings back such fond memories of being there...thank you!

Hunter Mom
May. 10, 2010, 01:30 PM
Ok - if you could ride any of those horses, who would you have ridden? I would love to have gotten to take Abdullah for a spin ;)

Mayaty02
May. 10, 2010, 01:40 PM
Ok - if you could ride any of those horses, who would you have ridden? I would love to have gotten to take Abdullah for a spin ;)

Oh definitely Abdullah but I always had a soft spot for Albany. :cool:

NorthFaceFarm
May. 10, 2010, 01:54 PM
Seems like nobody jumps with that kind of pace anymore.

M. Owen
May. 10, 2010, 02:24 PM
I could answer which one I would NOT want to ride...Brussels! She looks like one tough horse! I think Jet Run or Abdullah look like fun rides (as if I could do either of them justice :lol:).

That big wide open course is interesting, very different from what we would see today. I don't think you see that forward pace today due to the technicality and tight ring of the majority of today's courses. A big course like that you would have to gallop to make the time. I love the natural style jumps and how the course encourages flow, beautiful to watch. I was really impressed by each of those riders tact. Thank you for posting the links!

Anyplace Farm
May. 10, 2010, 02:31 PM

Funny you should say because I thought the exact same thing. It is the difference between TBs and WBs. Granted, there were some WBs (Abdullah for one) but those riders cut their teeth on TBs and were from a generation that carried that as their defacto (did I use that word correctly?) pace.

Anyplace Farm
May. 10, 2010, 02:38 PM
That big wide open course is interesting, very different from what we would see today. I don't think you see that forward pace today due to the technicality and tight ring of the majority of today's courses. A big course like that you would have to gallop to make the time. I love the natural style jumps and how the course encourages flow, beautiful to watch. I was really impressed by each of those riders tact. Thank you for posting the links!

Back in the day, when the WB was starting to squeeze the TB out (which was right around then in the 80's), people used the WBs for classes that required power and their TBs for the ones that required speed. These days, the courses definitely appear to be more designed for the WBs although I'm certain a good TB could easily hold his own. Which brings me to my new favorite GM quote: "Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker and more intelligent. The best of any breed is the Thoroughbred horse, the best of that breed is better than any other breed.”

mikali
May. 10, 2010, 02:59 PM
I was lucky enough to get to ride Big Ben after he retired - now that was an experience :-D

poltroon
May. 10, 2010, 03:01 PM
Very cool!

Mikali, I am jealous! :D

Mozart
May. 10, 2010, 03:05 PM
80's is vintage !??!
Boy I feel old now :lol:

Regardless, thanks for the links ;)

17hTBmare
May. 10, 2010, 05:38 PM
Such fun to watch---thank you!

Limone
May. 10, 2010, 05:40 PM
wow I wish people rode like that today...

shawneeAcres
May. 10, 2010, 07:59 PM
I havent yet watched all of them, but does it seem to anyone else that the fences in the Rodney Jenkins video were MUCH bigger than grand prix's of today? Why does it appear that way, as I do not think the height/widths are that much different (but could be since this was some sort of a derby type course)? I grew up in the 70's and watched these guys all thru their career, just seemed like HUGE fences!

kateh
May. 10, 2010, 08:47 PM
Wow those are awesome! I love the Conrad video-talk about style! And Joe Fargis with Touch of Class at the end, that little mare looks like she has wings for hooves!

blackcat95
May. 10, 2010, 08:50 PM
I havent yet watched all of them, but does it seem to anyone else that the fences in the Rodney Jenkins video were MUCH bigger than grand prix's of today? Why does it appear that way, as I do not think the height/widths are that much different (but could be since this was some sort of a derby type course)? I grew up in the 70's and watched these guys all thru their career, just seemed like HUGE fences!

I noticed this as well. Of course, I'm used to watching today's GP courses so I can't really compare because those were the first oldish GP courses I've seen. But it was a treat watching all the riders... funny how we all know automatically who they are just by first name. :D:lol:

*jumper*
May. 10, 2010, 09:02 PM
I actually would like to take a spin on Brussels (although I might consider one of those inflatable eventing vests for the occasion...). She looks like riding a pogo stick!

KateKat
May. 11, 2010, 12:21 AM

I was thinking that too! Especially watching the video of Brussels. She was booking it!

SkipChange
May. 11, 2010, 08:38 AM
They do seem to have tremendous pace. Most of them also seem to rate and collect nicely too.

foursocks
May. 11, 2010, 08:55 AM
Wow- I only had time to watch one (have to go ride!) and I picked Jet Run randomly. Wow. What a horse. What an amazing athlete.

Beenthere
May. 11, 2010, 09:04 AM
I watched the george video fearful he would kill himself but since I see he is still alive I know that he survived. That video was scarry. The horse went unbroke around and was downright dangerous.....glad he had success with it.

Mayaty02
May. 11, 2010, 09:43 AM
Just watched Conrad and Abudullah again for the millionth time probably and I was thinking, I'd love to ride him over a working hunter course. That was one beautiful creature.

JBCool
May. 11, 2010, 12:05 PM
I'm too young to have seen a lot of the "greats", so this is as close as I'll get!!!!!! Thank you so much. I'd never seen any of these horses go, just photos. NOT THE SAME!

BHSinTN
May. 11, 2010, 01:11 PM
Oh how I miss the days when riders really had to RIDE their horses! I grew up watching these guys, and they are what inspired me to aim for the same stars (still aiming;)). We DID hold our own back then, and most notably, with TB's. Frankly, I think the sport took a tumble when the WB fad really set in and jumps/courses were altered to meet their type almost to the exclusion of the TB's. They seem to be making a small comeback, as people are beginning to realize that w/o the TB injection into the WB lines, you get a beautiful plow horse. :)

Seeing Brussels again, who despite her antics was a top horse in the country at the time, gives me hope that my TB boys really CAN give those WB's a run for their money.

I found an old COTH thread about the pair, and the poster, after seeing GM ride her at the Devon Horse Show, said to him ,"She's really something over a fence. Do you suppose she'd hunt?" "Tell you what," Morris replied with a perfectly straight face, "I'll let you take her out cubbing this fall, and you can send me a telegram from wherever you end up."

Thanks for posting those!

Ozone
May. 11, 2010, 01:22 PM
GM has come a long way since then! Not knocking him AT ALL just these days even if he was riding a tough horse like Brussels you wouldn't know it ;) Brussels made him show it that he was having one heck of a rough ride!

toomanyponies
May. 11, 2010, 04:28 PM
Did anyone other than me notice the crowds? and all the photographers in the ring at the Derby?

cssutton
May. 11, 2010, 09:22 PM
I watched the george video fearful he would kill himself but since I see he is still alive I know that he survived. That video was scarry. The horse went unbroke around and was downright dangerous.....glad he had success with it.

When you decide to give Geore Morris riding lessons, please let us know.

Several of us would like to watch.

CSSJR

lauriep
May. 12, 2010, 12:37 AM
The jumps WERE bigger back then in the top level competitions. But the courses weren't as technical. The jumps at the American (then International) Jumping Derby (Coastline and Jet Run videos) were the biggest these horses saw all season. In addition, it was a true Derby course, designed by Frank Chapot, and modeled after the Hickstead Derby course. If you could make it around that course, you had really done something. The number of clear rounds ever jumped there was very low.

The fences at the '84 Olympics were also some of the biggest courses that those riders had seen. Bert deNemethy set a new standard for course building in LA, and luckily for us, Joe and Conrad rose to the occasion and made it seem easy. Those Olympics will forever be a high point of the showjumping sport in this country. Watch closely and see how often TOC is cross cantering. She was never reliable with her changes, but still managed a gold medal.

Nikki^
May. 12, 2010, 06:20 AM
If you also watch George ride, you see that his form is correct. His leg doesn't budge, he's in the middle of his horse and and his releases are flowing. No drama riding here I must say.:D

And Brussels seems like a HOT, HOT, HOT TB that takes such a quiet, flowing ride to get the job done.

SkipChange
May. 12, 2010, 08:13 AM
Watch closely and see how often TOC is cross cantering. She was never reliable with her changes, but still managed a gold medal.

Well that's encouraging for my unreliable changing guy ;)
And to whoever asked who we would've liked to take for a spin, I choose her :D

Tackpud
May. 12, 2010, 08:48 AM
The "old fashioned" back number on George made me laugh! I remember those horrible things that hooked on the back of your coat - definitely one thing that's improved in our sport.:lol:

Thanks for posting these. It's great to see classic show jumping anytime and to watch the best just reinforces the need for the strong equitation base for any rider.

NinaL aka Chrissy
May. 12, 2010, 09:59 AM
If you also watch George ride, you see that his form is correct. His leg doesn't budge, he's in the middle of his horse and and his releases are flowing. No drama riding here I must say.:D

And Brussels seems like a HOT, HOT, HOT TB that takes such a quiet, flowing ride to get the job done.

I am 99.99% certain that Brussels was a warmblood. The prevailing belief that just because they are warmbloods they are quiet and if they are TBs they are hot is so inaccurate. The international level warmbloods are anything but plodding - they breed them to be hot. And I have known and owned many TBs that were quiet enough for any amateur or beginner.

Nina

Nikki^
May. 12, 2010, 12:34 PM
I am 99.99% certain that Brussels was a warmblood. The prevailing belief that just because they are warmbloods they are quiet and if they are TBs they are hot is so inaccurate. The international level warmbloods are anything but plodding - they breed them to be hot. And I have known and owned many TBs that were quiet enough for any amateur or beginner.

Nina

Which is why I put "SEEMS" in the sentence. I also do believe that there are hot WB's and quiet TB's. I currently own a WB/TB cross mare that can be quiet or a bit hot depending on her mood. I've also owned 3 TB's and they were such a treat to own.

showhorsegallery
May. 12, 2010, 01:24 PM
I have never seen a horse wring their tail as much as Brussels does in that video. Wow.

Beenthere
May. 12, 2010, 02:05 PM
Cssutton and Nikki:

No one is saying that is is not an amazing horseperson HOWEVER falling on a horses neck over fence two where George's left eye is scraping the right eye of the horse is freaking dangerous; the horse swapped off and buldged everywhere; and his leg budged plenty (mostly was on the shoulder of the horse and way in front of the girth). If you watch his release over a few jumps he was hanging off the right side (black and white jump). Obviously the ride was due to the HOT nature of the animal and he clearly rode well despite the 8 faults, but the video still scared me to watch given the many perfect videos I have seen of him. Given I have had many lessons with George and attended multiple clinics I know he is great at what he does but the nice thing about him is that even HE can admit that the video was a bit scary...LOL

So don't get all bent out of shape when someone offers their opinion

Nikki^
May. 13, 2010, 05:54 AM
Cssutton and Nikki:

No one is saying that is is not an amazing horseperson HOWEVER falling on a horses neck over fence two where George's left eye is scraping the right eye of the horse is freaking dangerous; the horse swapped off and buldged everywhere; and his leg budged plenty (mostly was on the shoulder of the horse and way in front of the girth). If you watch his release over a few jumps he was hanging off the right side (black and white jump). Obviously the ride was due to the HOT nature of the animal and he clearly rode well despite the 8 faults, but the video still scared me to watch given the many perfect videos I have seen of him. Given I have had many lessons with George and attended multiple clinics I know he is great at what he does but the nice thing about him is that even HE can admit that the video was a bit scary...LOL

So don't get all bent out of shape when someone offers their opinion

Who's saying that I am getting all bent out of shape?

When you fall on the horse's neck after a jump like that of course your leg is going to buldge, silly goose.:D

Do you pehaps have any videos to share of GM's other rounds becuase I would like to see more. The only time I've seen GM ride is when I went to his clinic a few years back. I would love to see some of him showing. Oh man, do you have any of him showing hunters?

Melzy
May. 13, 2010, 06:41 PM
I remember watching live and recording each and every one of those horses/ riders. I have recorded over a 100 Grand Prix events on VHS tapes. They use to be shown on ESPN. Ahhhh, the good old days. I also have Breyers of Jet Run, Abdullah and Big Ben. LOL

Alameda
May. 13, 2010, 09:38 PM
The jumps WERE bigger back then in the top level competitions. The fences at the '84 Olympics were also some of the biggest courses that those riders had seen.
In LA, during the jump-off (Abdullah, TOC, Jessica? forgive my memory loss), there was an oxer as big as a train car :lol::lol: I remember a good test in the first round which was the triple (down the center? that's how I remember it) of oxer, wall, to a liverpool...that got them good :yes:

Carol Ames
May. 13, 2010, 10:58 PM
Great fun, thanks! I was just thinking about that Derby course and wondering if anyone had a video of it; It certainly helped US show jumping to evolve; allowed us to ride European type courses without :no:going to Europe:cool:; I seem to remember Leslie Burr having an especially memorable :eek:round on a gray horse; would that have been the gray tb ?Chase the clouds?:confused:

Carol Ames
May. 13, 2010, 11:00 PM
Who was his sire :confused:Alme?

Carol Ames
May. 14, 2010, 02:18 PM
donkeyman; (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/member.php?u=112672)
GM is getting on in years and he/ his body is not as athletic:( as he was in his younger years:no:; I saw his last GP at WEF in '89; it was indeed scarey:eek::o! I overheard by chance, the horses' owner, Jane Clark, trying to convince him not to try it again; but, GM was determined:yes: to continue riding and to improve:cool:; I do hand it to him for attempting to jump such courses again; but, indeed , here "discretion would be the better part of valor:yes:"

Carol Ames
May. 14, 2010, 02:28 PM
can anyone figure:confused:?

Carol Ames
May. 14, 2010, 02:29 PM

Carol Ames
May. 14, 2010, 02:36 PM
Me, too!:lol:

80's is vintage !??!
Boy I feel old now :lol:

Regardless, thanks for the links ;)

Carol Ames
May. 14, 2010, 02:38 PM
Anyone have a video of Ike?

Roxy SM
May. 14, 2010, 09:46 PM
donkeyman; (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/member.php?u=112672)
GM is getting on in years and he/ his body is not as athletic:( as he was in his younger years:no:; I saw his last GP at WEF in '89; it was indeed scarey:eek::o! I overheard by chance, the horses' owner, Jane Clark, trying to convince him not to try it again; but, GM was determined:yes: to continue riding and to improve:cool:; I do hand it to him for attempting to jump such courses again; but, indeed , here "discretion would be the better part of valor:yes:"

I don't think he would have been super old in 1989, like maybe early to mid 50s? Joe Fargis and Ian Millar are older than that and are far from scary riding around a GP course. Also, didn't GM win the DuMaurier in the mid to late 80s on Rio?

Void
May. 14, 2010, 10:08 PM

Well according to Wikipedia he won the Maclay in 1952 at the age of 14. Which would mean he was born in 1938. Making him either 72 or to be 72 this year.

Making him between 42-51 in the 80s.

lauriep
May. 15, 2010, 07:18 AM
He is 72.

Alameda
May. 16, 2010, 03:49 PM
Who was his sire :confused:Alme?

yes.

Carol Ames
May. 17, 2010, 10:19 PM
I've just watched again the rounds of Conrad and Joe, and it occurs to me that, without George it is likely that they would not have ridden at the level they did then.I had forgotten how beautifully they rode those B I G courses:cool:; do you possibly have Mellanies' nations' cup round on Calypso?;)

Carol Ames
May. 17, 2010, 10:24 PM
Wasn't his big win at spruce Meadows on Rio after he had broken his leg?

Carol Ames
May. 17, 2010, 10:29 PM
Wasn't it George whose horse tried to bank a big bullfinch :eek:at Dublin?; resulting in George breaking his neck:eek:?:o:sadsmile: I have to hand it to anyone who, after such injuries:no:, rides at that level again:yes:

Silk
May. 18, 2010, 07:16 AM

I hesitate to say anything but I agree with you. That horse was counterbent through most of its corners. I question why the horse was campaigned as it was...certainly looks like a very unhappy animal and quite a different demeaner from the majority of GP horses either of that era or today.

Watching that horse reminds me of my hackney when I first broke him to saddle after him being a harness show pony for years.

foursocks
May. 18, 2010, 08:54 AM
Wow- the ride on Brussels was incredible. Having a horse who has put me through the wringer a few times, I really appreciate seeing how well GM rode her there.

Interestingly, just two days ago my trainer was schooling one of his upper level riders and saying how when he competes her horse (an extremely forward, strong, likes to gallop gelding), he rides in that same sort of seat- up over the withers- to sort of slow the horse down just a bit. I know GM really pioneered the forward style, and I wonder if it came in part from that kind of challenge- being balanced enough not to shift around, but also keeping the lid on the super-strong ones with the rider's body.

You know, these days that mare would be scoped for ulcers, put on different grain, this, this and that- back then, we had less science to go on, way fewer products and options to try. But then again, the fire under the tail is sometimes just there by nature.

Also: for those noting the counter-bending- well, it's sometimes the only way to get even halfway straight. Watch any GP and you will see some counter-bending and squaring the turn to get as much straightness in front of the next fence as possible!

Alameda
May. 18, 2010, 03:42 PM
...quite a different demeaner from the majority of GP horses either of that era or today.
Which is why she was so successful. Brussels wasn't "unhappy," she was an atomic bomb that jumped clean, and was faster than a speeding bullet (while being a porpoise). That's like saying Galoubet or Baloubet were "unhappy." Galoubet was equally loony. George used a double set of reins on Rio - know why? Ben and Gem would fret ("the look") if something was out of place (remember THE liverpool at Devon during the trials? Gem had THE LOOK).
Some of the folks on this thread knew Ardennes - she was loonier than Brussels. And they'll remember Lenny whose bridle had to be taken apart to be put on and off :lol: (and he porpoised like Brussels). What about Milton? He had quirks just like Ben and Gem that made him such a careful horse.
The great ones don't have an expected "demeanor." They need heart, scope, and a very good ride. Sometimes they have no scope or heart but a good ride (out of respect for the owners, we won't mention them). Sometimes you gotta grab a lot of mane ;)
Armchair quarterbacks are just that, as are desktop jockeys. Sitting on a great one (sometimes by the skin of your breeches) is a hell of a ride :winkgrin:

Alameda
May. 18, 2010, 03:57 PM
I've just watched again the rounds of Conrad and Joe, and it occurs to me that, without George it is likely that they would not have ridden at the level they did then.
Without Frances Rowe they would not have ridden at that level ;)

lauriep
May. 18, 2010, 09:41 PM
Without Frances Rowe they would not have ridden at that level ;)

Touche. GM never had anything to do with Joe. He came from nothing and Frances took him on and gave him his start in jumpers.

Also, spot on about Brussels.

Carol Ames
May. 19, 2010, 07:14 AM
Frances Rowe they would not have ridden at that level ;)

Carol Ames
May. 19, 2010, 07:22 AM
What I meant was that without the "American school" of riding over fences; advocated and developed by GM:yes: and furthered by de nemethy and Frannie Rowe; it is unlikely that we would have had two . such classical/ refined:cool: riders on the team ; Didn't she, Frances Rowe start Touch of Class;)?

Alameda
May. 19, 2010, 01:04 PM
Didn't she, Frances Rowe start Touch of Class;)?

She helped start Balbuco, Pueblo and others. I recall Frances owned a piece of TOC, and sold her. The past is sometimes fuzzy :yes:

Now back to those videos... there are a lot of great jumpers, if shown on video, would be rather unorthodox. Balbuco for one ;)
Unless you've sat on their backs, it's hard to judge them. I hacked one in a loose ring :winkgrin: that was normally hacked in a killer Segunda (with draw reins). Of course I "knew better" than the regular jock (Olympian FYI). It's hard to stop a train with no brakes ;) Regular jock laughed for weeks :lol: at the extra inch added to my arms.

lauriep
May. 19, 2010, 11:15 PM
Although Frances was certainly involved in Balbuco, Pueblo, etc., she didn't really start them. Balbuco was on the Argentine team when he came to America, and then Rodney had him and won some big classes before Frances got him. Pueblo was on the Mexican team. She was a genius at FINDING horses and making them better and keeping them healthy.

I can't remember if she actually was involved with TOC at the very beginning or not. I do know that TOC went to FL for the first time with us. Joe and Conrad put together the syndicate that bought her shortly after that. I am fuzzy on how Janet Nonni got her for Debi Connor to ride. That is where Frances may have been involved.

Alameda
May. 20, 2010, 12:29 AM
Although Frances was certainly involved in Balbuco, Pueblo, etc., she didn't really start them.
I meant "involved" - not start ;):lol: